Dehydrated for drug test, need advice.
    pharmaecopia is offline New Member

Default Dehydrated for drug test, need advice.

My friend has been struggling for a while, he gets tested regularly but has slipped up a few times. He gets UA's that are sent to a lab. Before he has taken 10 mg of percocet on a monday, drank plenty of water and passed on a wednsday. He is aware that it takes 48-72 hours for oxycodone to be out of ones system, this is why he flushed. Recently, he took 160mg of OP (oxycontin) on sunday morning and had a test thursday, he didnt bother flushing because the test was about 100hrs after consumption, what he didnt think about is that he was extremely dehydrated, the same he gave was dark yellow, usually he gives them clear urine. He is very skinny but this is the only time he hasn't flushed. What he would like to know is what some of you think the chances are of him failing 100 hours after consumption of oxycontin giving a dehydrated sample. Please only answer if you know something about this, he knows there is no way to say for sure but what are the chances. Ive heard 96 hrs (4 days) is long enough not to flush, but didnt know he was DEHYDRATED.

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pharmaecopia View Post
    My friend has been struggling for a while, he gets tested regularly but has slipped up a few times. He gets UA's that are sent to a lab. Before he has taken 10 mg of percocet on a monday, drank plenty of water and passed on a wednsday. He is aware that it takes 48-72 hours for oxycodone to be out of ones system, this is why he flushed. Recently, he took 160mg of OP (oxycontin) on sunday morning and had a test thursday, he didnt bother flushing because the test was about 100hrs after consumption, what he didnt think about is that he was extremely dehydrated, the same he gave was dark yellow, usually he gives them clear urine. He is very skinny but this is the only time he hasn't flushed. What he would like to know is what some of you think the chances are of him failing 100 hours after consumption of oxycontin giving a dehydrated sample. Please only answer if you know something about this, he knows there is no way to say for sure but what are the chances. Ive heard 96 hrs (4 days) is long enough not to flush, but didnt know he was DEHYDRATED.

I realize I saw this too late to give a response on your specific question, but I still wanted to say something. If your friend is required to have regular drug testing, your friend is in a serious situation which should not be overlooked. These are not as casual as "slip ups" - drug addiction is not anything to brush over lightly. Abusing these pills is deadly serious. Whatever brought about the drug test requirement should be a huge warning sign to him, and it's best he pay attention.

Drug addiction doesn't go away. If he's losing control over his drug use (which it sounds like, if he's risking a positive drug screen by taking pills), he will not later be able to gain control over it. Addiction is a progressive disease; that means it always gets worse. Right now, he may be able to limit his use to some extent. But that will change. His "control" will disappear. I pray you and he take this seriously and get him some help. He's playing "russian roulette" with his life right now.

God bless,
    Ruth

You will know the truth - and only the truth can set you free.

rxqueen83 is offline Member

To answer your question, it's very possible for him to have failed only 100 hours after using, and with a dehydrated sample. Just FYI, he's not "flushing" the drugs out of his system. He's diluting a sample and lowering the amount of drugs that are available in his urine through dilution. You cannot FLUSH drugs out of your system faster with water. You can dilute a sample enough so the available by-product is below the cut off line for a positive result, temporarily. Like you said, dehydration and concentrated urine does the opposite. He'll have probably a bit more of the by-product available.

Drug metabolism depends on just that - metabolism of the user, dose, quantity and length of use. I have a slow metabolism myself. I've had amphetamines show up in my system for two weeks after one dose! Your friend, if he's "skinny", might have one on the higher end of things. It's very possible after 96 hours for opiods to show up in the system, yes.