Day 5 off suboxone detox, when does it get bad?
    A New Chapter is offline New Member

Default Day 5 off suboxone detox, when does it get bad?

First off... I want to apologize for the title of my thread. I have read absolute horror stories from alot of different websites and i know the withdrawal process can be much different from person to person. That said, >> like to give the same trite story of my addiction to painkillers before i get started.
    1. Started doing them at 20 recreationally every few weeks or so.
    2. At 22 i moved into a house downtown with 4 other college grads/friends
    3. Bartended for 2 years, the bar hired a waitress who started having me sell her OC 40's for her... Hook, line, addicted in less than a week.
    4. I was on a $150 a day OC80 for almost 3 years... Then OCs turned into OP's and Opanas became popular.
    5. I lost 3 great jobs, friends, my girlfriend for a year, and my parents didnt want anything to do with me.

I heard about suboxone and started buying it off the street for a year. For one year i took 4mg a day until i noticed my drive/focus/interest in everything start to dissapear. Over 6 months i tapered down to about 1mg a day which seems to be the normal jump off point. Im on day 5 and havent had any terrible symptoms of withdrawal. Of course i feel weak, my skin is crawling a bit, i yawn & stretch alot. But the worst of that was day 2. Most importantly ive been able to get sleep, i toss and turn but im still sleeping 6 hours. I have read so many horror stories i kept putting off detoxing, i wish i would have done this sooner to be honest. Im 6'4 250 lbs could that have anything to do with it?
    Thanks for any response

Also i have had many bed ridden days due to opana/oc withdrawal where i literally thought i was going insane. Trying to sleep while detoxing from opana is hell on earth... 10x worse than OC... So i have experienced bad withdrawal episodes before. I understand suboxone withdrawal lasts much longer than >>>>>>/oc but i would take this over that any day. There is a noticeable difference from day 2 to day 5 as well. Im worried because of my size that the detox hasnt even begun... Day 5 is the first time i had diarrhea as well

Again i apologize if i offended anyone i just wanted to know if serious withdrawal symptons can start after 4 or 5 days... Im not saying kicking subs is easy or anything

gottagetwell is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by A New Chapter View Post
    Again i apologize if i offended anyone i just wanted to know if serious withdrawal symptons can start after 4 or 5 days... Im not saying kicking subs is easy or anything
    Hello. I can not see any reason why your post would offend anyone so don't worry about that. First, congratulations on 5 days clean! As far as I remember (I came off subs a few years back) the shelf life for Subs is 3 to 4 days. I would say if you are on day 5 you are done. Others with more knowledge will no doubt help you further with your question but I would like to think if you have managed 5 days you will get through this just fine. Sure others members will be along to help you soon. Keep up the good work. You are doing this. x

Kikker is offline Advanced Member

i agree with gottagetwell that u said nothing offensive at all. and gotta is correct in the fact that subs have a half life of UP TO 3-4 days or 72 hours in some people. everyone is different and if can differ at times with each case. could be longer, or shorter in each individual.

depending on the amount of subs taken, and for the length of time taking it, withdrawals may not even begin for several days and up to a week or more in some instances. not trying to frighten u at all, but it is entirely possible the withdrawals are yet to come. of course it is also possible with ur metabolism they are finished after 5 days. only time will make that determination.

if u go to the suboxone section of this forum there is a member by the name of IN4ITTTT that jumped from a fairly high dose and made it 6 days and then withdrawals started on her. she went back on 2 mg's and has started the taper process. u can take a look at her story and the two of u can speak with each other. she is really awesome!

i would just wait it out if it were me. hopefully u will be on ur way to a new clean life. if u find that at some point the withdrawals do begin u will have a decision to make....either try and fight thru it and continue to go without taking anything, or do as IN4ITTT has done and induct at a tiny dose and taper slowly.

i would never suggest jumping from 1 mg....it's just too high of a dose. most taper down to at least .25 mg and sometimes lower. then either jump at that point or do a day-skipping process where u dose and skip 1, 2, 3, and 4 days and then ur done. we can talk about that later IF necessary.

keep posting ur progress. lots of support here for u.

Anonymous Guest

If it helps, i'm also five days off and I had to jump off at 1 mg too. So far it hasn't been too bad, but I'm worried about exactly the same things you are. I'm just telling myself I have a really bad flu, and taking it as easy as I can, as if I was sick, cause I am. I got B vitamins, and I'm taking a multivitamin and eating bananas for the potassium to help with the restless leg. Like you, I just found this forum.
    So, I'll be rooting especially hard for you, 'cause we're kind of in the same boat. You've gone through opiate withdrawl before, so have I. We're both still here. I keep telling myself that time always passes, and whatever's going to happen, will. I'm glad you found some people to listen and support you. It seems like to folks here are pretty great.
    Hope things stay smooth!

Anonymous Guest

Just checking in to see how things are going with you today. My day 6 is so far, so good. Slept pretty well last night and feeling better than yesterday.
    Are you going to get out of the house today?

Well I'm on day 10 and my detox has been a roller coaster for sure. I believe my initial symptoms could have been caused by the stress of detoxing... Things didn't really get started until day 6/7 and then it hit me pretty hard... Every day is easier than the last for sure though. Ginger13 hang in there... I probably have another week before I start to feel normal but I'm experiencing emotions I haven't felt in years... I'm starting to feel like a person again.

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by A New Chapter View Post
    Well I'm on day 10 and my detox has been a roller coaster for sure. I believe my initial symptoms could have been caused by the stress of detoxing... Things didn't really get started until day 6/7 and then it hit me pretty hard... Every day is easier than the last for sure though. Ginger13 hang in there... I probably have another week before I start to feel normal but I'm experiencing emotions I haven't felt in years... I'm starting to feel like a person again.
    I hear ya buddy. Day 12 here. Still up and down, but feeling better all the time. I totally get what you mean about emotions. I'm feeling a little thin-skinned, but I'll take that over numb.
    How's your sleep been? I think that's the hardest part for me.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-03-2013 at 08:33 AM. Reason: spelling

eld26 is offline New Member

Just curious how many days did it ends up taking before you really felt better. I'm on day 5 and I desperately need sleep. My back, legs and arms are killing me.

Adsmitty28 is offline New Member

I'm on my second day without any subs/opiates of any kind. And I don't feel bad at all. The last time I detoxes from sub within 24 hrs I was hurting bad. But this time I'm feeling fine so far just some minor discomfort. I know sub has a long half life, which has me terrified that the wds haven't kicked in yet. I'm afraid that by day five I'm gonna be a mess. Anyone expirience anything similar. And can give some advice on how to feel about all this would be appreciated

Adsmitty28 is offline New Member

Oh also the first time around I was perfectly fine within 7 days. So I'm confused as to why I'm not hurting yet

MrBigShot is offline New Member

Congrats on 2 days being clean on subs but nah the wd havent even started yet. Ive been on suboxone for about 5 years now and was on the oc80s for about 7 years. Really any pain pill I could get my hands on I was eating. At least 50 mg a day just to feel normal or get outta bed. Ive tried quitting so many times but the wd seem to overcome me. >> love to get control of my life again but it just seems like that is so far away.

whatsinaname is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adsmitty28 View Post
    I'm on my second day without any subs/opiates of any kind. And I don't feel bad at all. The last time I detoxes from sub within 24 hrs I was hurting bad. But this time I'm feeling fine so far just some minor discomfort. I know sub has a long half life, which has me terrified that the wds haven't kicked in yet. I'm afraid that by day five I'm gonna be a mess. Anyone expirience anything similar. And can give some advice on how to feel about all this would be appreciated
    Hey Ad,

How long were you on subs? What dose did you jump from? With that information we can better gauge what you are in for.... Yep, with the long half life of subs, it can take several days to feel the full WD symptoms. It really just depends how long you were on Subs and how much you were taking.

caughtagain is offline Diamond Member

Smitty, I would recommend to you that you start your own thread and keep a journal of your progress... Welcome to the group. Reid (If you do not know how, just let us know and we will start one for you)

lynette412 is offline New Member

HI it's my 5 day off sub and I am not sleeping and still have hot and cold flash and very tired . how many days will this last. LYENTTE4121

Aodhan is offline Junior Member

There are many different factors Lynette, how long have you been taking subs? how many? What was your addiction? Your metabolism and overall health determines a lot. I know for me, after a 5 year heavy morphine habit my CDRP wouldn't allow me to be on Subs long. I started out at 16mg and within 4 weeks they had me off. I jumped at 2mg, withdrawals didnt start for about 5 days. They where tolerable, nowhere near full opiate withdrawal, your body goes through a lot of changes, I hated the depression, that's becoming less and less now and I absolutely love my life sober. I am a much more social healthy person, as many here will tell you, getting clean is just the first step, if the proper things aren't in place you increase the probability of relapse. I've been off Subs since Feb 1st, I'm still early in my recovery but I go to the gym almost every day, I eat properly, I cope with life's problems without turning to drugs and have a determination never to go back. I have a picture that was taken of me in November, i was so pale, 20 pounds overweight, pin pick pupils. Everytime I get cravings I look at that picture. Sorry for going on a bit, i just want you to know that you can come through this and the rewards are unbelievable. I wish you nothing but the best.

General Jack is offline New Member

Im on day 5 myself. Has not been too bad at all. I have had a little trouble sleeping because my back was driving me nuts, but I took Clodine and Klodpin and fell right too sleep. I was on subs for 2 years, and jumped off .25. I think another huge factor of why Im not having all the crazy withdrawals is because I would NEVER swallow the spit after the subs dissolved in my mouth, I would spit that nasty sh** out.