Results 1 to 28 of 28
Day 1 Withdrawal
  1. #1
    silverphone is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3

    Default Day 1 Withdrawal

    So, tomorrow will be day number 1 for me without vicodin. I've had about a year-long addiction now and I finally believe I am strong enough to quit. I know cold turkey is going to be painful but I am hopeful I can get through this. I am going through some bad financial problems right now because of this addiction. I normally take 10-20 vicodin or percocet's a day. Today I took a 40mg oxy and hope that it will be my last. How long will I go through this until I start to feel better? A week? Anyway, hope to hear from any of you on how to ease this and hopefully begin this path to living sober and go back to how I used to live. It's hard to think how did I go by without any vicodin?? Now I am rambling, take care all of you and best of luck for those going through the same thing.

  2. #2
    doc.rose is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,227

    Default

    Hi Silverphone! Welcome to the forum! Good for you for making the decision to get clean. You will get a lot of support from the people on this forum. I think going CT is the best way for you. I think everyone is different though. From what I have read from others who went ct, the worst of the symptoms last between 3-5 days. but it takes a while to start to feel 100% again. Many people will chime in with advice, give them time. For now, google the Thomas Recipe, it will help you tremendously throughout your journey. Good luck!!

  3. #3
    ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    2,062

    Default

    This forum is here for you, Silverphone - post as much as you wish, to help you through this. Here's some links that may help you:

    The Thomas Recipe is here: http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...wal-35169.html

    And this is a link to find local NA meetings: http://portaltools.na.org/portaltools/MeetingLoc/

    The worst of the physical detox should be over, as Rose mentioned, within a week. You will probably have more of an issue with the emotional and psychological issues as time passes. (It's like quitting smoking - within 2 days, the nicotine is out of your body, but you'll continue to be at risk to smoke due to other "triggers" for a long time thereafter.) NA will help with those issues, and help you to stay stopped.

    I wish you all the best.

    Ruth

  4. #4
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    Hi Silverphone
    I was just checking in on you to see how you are feeling...
    I have myself a big addiction going on i was taking ocycontin and vic's
    I tapered down and then jumped off it took me about four days before I could function..just let the time pass and you will get this behind you...
    as Ruth said we are here for you....
    Melinda

  5. #5
    doc.rose is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,227

    Default

    Hi Silverphone! Just checking in to see how things are going today. Let me know how I can help you, ok??? It really helps to post as often as you can so people can support you during the worst of your withdrawal. So let us help you.

  6. #6
    skins_alive is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    SlOcala, FL
    Posts
    311

    Default

    Hi Ho Silver:

    I am 36 days clean cold turkey off percocets so pretty close to the same thing. You probably starting to feel a little weird about now. Its OK! The next three to five days you're gonna be a little sick. I think i said at the end of five days "Interesting time". Keep coming online and post just how you feel - feel bad - say so. You will help yourself by letting us know how you feel and you will help someone else that is thinking about taking the step. I got a lot of good advice here and lots of support.

    Do you have your kit?

    This is from my first day posting!

    Quote Originally Posted by mottam View Post
    Your best friends right now:
    Imodium, Advil, a good multivitamin, OTC sleep medication.
    Do you have a trusted doc? If you can confide in a doctor, he/she can make this a little easier. 3 to 5 days of a low dose valium and some sleep meds would help you get over the hump. If anything, he/she can just ensure that you are medically stable to detox. Just my advice – you never want to make a bad situation worse.

    Anyway, the goal here is to get to day 6/7. Some detoxes take shorter and some longer. Most people that I have spoken to (and from my experience) begin to feel "better" by the end of day 7. None of this is written in stone, though.

    Most important (besides seeking medical help to ensure stability) cut off ALL contacts/supplies. If these prescriptions are from a doc, maybe want to talk to him/her? If they are from a "friend" you need to cut that friend loose.

    Post and let us know how you are doing and how we can help.
    I'll check back to see how you are doing!

    In Fellowship (and Away)

    Brad
    Southern Buddha (( Prayers )) ~~~~

  7. #7
    PeterRabbit2 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silverphone View Post
    So, tomorrow will be day number 1 for me without vicodin. I've had about a year-long addiction now and I finally believe I am strong enough to quit. I know cold turkey is going to be painful but I am hopeful I can get through this. I am going through some bad financial problems right now because of this addiction. I normally take 10-20 vicodin or percocet's a day. Today I took a 40mg oxy and hope that it will be my last. How long will I go through this until I start to feel better? A week? Anyway, hope to hear from any of you on how to ease this and hopefully begin this path to living sober and go back to how I used to live. It's hard to think how did I go by without any vicodin?? Now I am rambling, take care all of you and best of luck for those going through the same thing.
    Cold turkey from opiates can be dangerous, esp. at the doses you are describing! Try this instead.

    If you've got the willpower, get a calculator, a big calendar and make a tapering schedule; decrease your narcotic use by 10% per day. Take your current dose and multiply by 0.9; that will give you the next day's dose; repeat again for the next day, etc. You will find that every day your dose reduction will be less in terms of milligrams. Do that until you are at 10mg/day of oxycodone or hydrocodone, THEN go (per day) 7.5mg, 5mg, 2.5mg. THEN quit. It should be relatively painless. That is, IF you can follow your own schedule.

    Good luck!

  8. #8
    newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,115

    Default

    Some people can't taper, Peter. With the drugs available, they always move back up. Cold turkey, while miserable, is not life threatening (unless you have an underlying condition). As Ruth mentioned, the Thomas Recipe has several ingredients that will make c/t easier. Having said that, if a person is strong enough to taper their DOC, more power to them. It's alot less uncomfortable.

  9. #9
    doc.rose is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterRabbit2 View Post
    Cold turkey from opiates can be dangerous, esp. at the doses you are describing! Try this instead.

    If you've got the willpower, get a calculator, a big calendar and make a tapering schedule; decrease your narcotic use by 10% per day. Take your current dose and multiply by 0.9; that will give you the next day's dose; repeat again for the next day, etc. You will find that every day your dose reduction will be less in terms of milligrams. Do that until you are at 10mg/day of oxycodone or hydrocodone, THEN go (per day) 7.5mg, 5mg, 2.5mg. THEN quit. It should be relatively painless. That is, IF you can follow your own schedule.

    Good luck!
    Hi Peter! I agree with NYGal. I think it is great you are posting. But lowering your dose by 10% everyday is way too quick. There isn't enough time for you body to adjust. If you aren't able to do cold turkey, then tapering off of your drug of choice is the next best thing.

  10. #10
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterRabbit2 View Post
    Cold turkey from opiates can be dangerous, esp. at the doses you are describing! Try this instead.

    If you've got the willpower, get a calculator, a big calendar and make a tapering schedule; decrease your narcotic use by 10% per day. Take your current dose and multiply by 0.9; that will give you the next day's dose; repeat again for the next day, etc. You will find that every day your dose reduction will be less in terms of milligrams. Do that until you are at 10mg/day of oxycodone or hydrocodone, THEN go (per day) 7.5mg, 5mg, 2.5mg. THEN quit. It should be relatively painless. That is, IF you can follow your own schedule.

    Good luck!
    Hi PeterRabbit
    I think your taper plan would work great for someone, I did a taper plan when I quit my pain pill addiction it was very similar to the way you just posted.
    but your right you have to have will power and make up your mind that is what you want to do...
    Now I would not taper off subs at this rate...there half life is way to long, but pain pills your right on ...
    And silverphone where are you...
    talk to you later, Melinda

  11. #11
    PeterRabbit2 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    666

    Default A 28 day taper

    Quote Originally Posted by doc.rose View Post
    Hi Peter! I agree with NYGal. I think it is great you are posting. But lowering your dose by 10% everyday is way too quick. There isn't enough time for you body to adjust. If you aren't able to do cold turkey, then tapering off of your drug of choice is the next best thing.
    A 10% per day taper from a 100mg/day CIII or CII narcotic habit would go like this:

    Day1...100mg
    Day2....90mg
    Day3....81mg
    Day4....73mg
    Day5....66mg
    Day6....60mg
    Day7....53mg
    Day8....48mg
    Day9....43mg
    Day10...39mg
    Day11...35mg
    Day12...31mg
    Day13...28mg
    Day14...25mg
    Day15...23mg
    Day16...21mg
    Day17...19mg
    Day18...17mg
    Day19...15mg
    Day20...14mg
    Day21...12mg
    Day22...11mg
    Day23...10mg
    Day24....9mg
    Day25....8mg
    Day26....6mg
    Day27....4mg
    Day28....2mg
    THEN QUIT.

    You may have to do some guesstimating on the odd numbers, or you could round to the nearest 5, but just as long as you follow the general guidelines, you're good. Also, you could at any point, plateau and hold at a certain dose for a week before resuming the reduction if you feel it's going to fast. But never INCREASE the dose. That is taboo.

    It gives the body enough time, IMO but if you prefer a gentler approach, go for a 3% or 5% reduction.

    I used this technique on 5 family members who'd become addicted to Lortab with an 80% success rate. One nut was too hard to crack. IMO, this reverse titration is far less likely to produce the myriad of unpleasant withdrawal symptoms, including P.A.W.S. It beats cold-turkey hands-down, IF you've got the proper motivation. If.

    Although I'm not an addict (I have panic disorder) I'm following a similar pattern to wean myself (under psychiatrist's guidance) from Klonopin, although my taper is far longer, by about 6 months.

  12. #12
    doc.rose is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by melinda7.5 View Post
    Hi PeterRabbit
    I think your taper plan would work great for someone, I did a taper plan when I quit my pain pill addiction it was very similar to the way you just posted.
    but your right you have to have will power and make up your mind that is what you want to do...
    Now I would not taper off subs at this rate...there half life is way to long, but pain pills your right on ...
    And silverphone where are you...
    talk to you later, Melinda
    I stand corrected. I thought that maybe it was too quick. But, I see it worked for you. I know that when my brother tried to taper off of opitates, his dose was lowered every 3 days.

  13. #13
    PeterRabbit2 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doc.rose View Post
    I stand corrected. I thought that maybe it was too quick. But, I see it worked for you. I know that when my brother tried to taper off of opitates, his dose was lowered every 3 days.
    It really doesn't matter how you taper, just as long as tapering is all that's happening. Yo-yo "tapering" is not allowed. Once you've made a reduction, you can stabilize but can NEVER go up. Family support and a cooperative doctor are indispensable. I had to hold my brother's 10mg Lortabs in a safe and be the "conductor" of his taper. Had he had the pills in hand, "gulp". We were gentle on him. He had a 70mg/day habit (could've been worse) and his doctor, the judge and I gave him 30 days to taper and quit or go to prison. He got probation for three years for purchasing illegally online. He is clean and (as per my rule) (he lives in my house) gets random drug screens every other month or so. If he ever fails one, he knows the consequence.

    I have not the slightest inhibition of putting him behind bars. But so far I've not had the displeasure. That would break my fragile heart.

  14. #14
    PeterRabbit2 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silverphone View Post
    So, tomorrow will be day number 1 for me without vicodin. I've had about a year-long addiction now and I finally believe I am strong enough to quit. I know cold turkey is going to be painful but I am hopeful I can get through this. I am going through some bad financial problems right now because of this addiction. I normally take 10-20 vicodin or percocet's a day. Today I took a 40mg oxy and hope that it will be my last. How long will I go through this until I start to feel better? A week? Anyway, hope to hear from any of you on how to ease this and hopefully begin this path to living sober and go back to how I used to live. It's hard to think how did I go by without any vicodin?? Now I am rambling, take care all of you and best of luck for those going through the same thing.
    How's it going, silverphone? Please update.

  15. #15
    PeterRabbit2 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterRabbit2 View Post
    How's it going, silverphone? Please update.
    Are you still with us?

  16. #16
    doc.rose is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,227

    Default

    Hi Silverphone! Let us know how you are doing, ok??

  17. #17
    PeterRabbit2 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    666

    Default

    I think silverphone is going through a private hell at the moment.

  18. #18
    silverphone is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3

    Default Sorry!

    WOW, thank you all for responding and your concern! I'm so so sorry about that! The internet has been down in my area since I first posted, it's been ridiculous! So... as an update... yeah I totally relapsed, doesn't help when your partner goes and refills So I'm down to my last few to again and gonna give it another go. I went and got vitamins last week and had this extremely helpful woman at Vitamin Shoppee help me with some things to help the withdrawals and help cleanse my body. I got N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine which is better than regular L-Tyrosine, you don't need to get B6 and this supplement is much more effective. I got Kudzu which is helping my poor poor liver! She said that the Kudzu is going to help excrete and rejuvenate the liver more quickly than normal, and should help decrease the severity of the withdrawals. And lastly, she helped me with getting a great multivitamin. Anyway, I wasn't too surprised I relapsed, I've tried to quit like 20 times now. I get such bad aching and coldness in between my fingers and toes it just kills me! My parents are starting to get onto me on how I have no money when I make so much! At least I haven't resorted to borrowing or stealing from them... I just had to lie. My dad has horrible pain issues and used to be addicted to vicodin but now is on 100mcg Fentanyl patches... He never said it straight out that it was why he'd spend days in bed hurting but I understand now. I, too have horrible back pain. I'm too young for the doctors to chance opiates so they try other routes which have failed miserably since I was 14. (I'm 19 now.) I know I do have the willpower to a taper but a month as someone said earlier just sounds killer. Anywho, sorry again to everyone, but thank you for responding I was happy to read everyone's thoughts and concerns! If I could just eliminate those aching and coldness in my hands and feet I think I'd have a good shot at cold turkey, I used to deal with my back pain for years so I know I can do it again.

  19. #19
    silverphone is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3

    Default

    So, I've encountered different vicodin that make me sick. I can take a ton of extra-strength like today 10 and not get sick. However, I do have big white 7.5's that make me sick to my stomache when I take two. (I have noticed smaller 7.5's that are yellow make me sick too!) So, should I just take all those get them out of the way and start the cold turkey process... or should I sort of use those as a taper because they make me so sick it actually makes me not want to take more than two a day and then let it run out and sort of go cold turkey? Does anyone think that would help decrease the severity of the w/d or should I just take 'em and get them over with.

  20. #20
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    most people cant taper their own drug of choice. i reckon you would fall into that basket mate.
    so either flush em, (and i know how hard that would be trust me) or take them and go ct. but you are only a youngfulla and have the whole rest of your life, so get off this stuff now mate.
    im in my 40's, been injecting stuff for years, methadone, then now subs.

    you would do yourself a massive favour by doin it now while you are young, and havent been using for that long.

    good luck and go hard, get it done however you have to.

    cheeky

  21. #21
    PeterRabbit2 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silverphone View Post
    WOW, thank you all for responding and your concern! I'm so so sorry about that! The internet has been down in my area since I first posted, it's been ridiculous! So... as an update... yeah I totally relapsed, doesn't help when your partner goes and refills So I'm down to my last few to again and gonna give it another go. I went and got vitamins last week and had this extremely helpful woman at Vitamin Shoppee help me with some things to help the withdrawals and help cleanse my body. I got N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine which is better than regular L-Tyrosine, you don't need to get B6 and this supplement is much more effective. I got Kudzu which is helping my poor poor liver! She said that the Kudzu is going to help excrete and rejuvenate the liver more quickly than normal, and should help decrease the severity of the withdrawals. And lastly, she helped me with getting a great multivitamin. Anyway, I wasn't too surprised I relapsed, I've tried to quit like 20 times now. I get such bad aching and coldness in between my fingers and toes it just kills me! My parents are starting to get onto me on how I have no money when I make so much! At least I haven't resorted to borrowing or stealing from them... I just had to lie. My dad has horrible pain issues and used to be addicted to vicodin but now is on 100mcg Fentanyl patches... He never said it straight out that it was why he'd spend days in bed hurting but I understand now. I, too have horrible back pain. I'm too young for the doctors to chance opiates so they try other routes which have failed miserably since I was 14. (I'm 19 now.) I know I do have the willpower to a taper but a month as someone said earlier just sounds killer. Anywho, sorry again to everyone, but thank you for responding I was happy to read everyone's thoughts and concerns! If I could just eliminate those aching and coldness in my hands and feet I think I'd have a good shot at cold turkey, I used to deal with my back pain for years so I know I can do it again.
    How about this: you have back pain (from what?). Why don't you find out WHY you abuse? Your back pain needs treatment. Maybe you need a swift kick in the pants, so here it is. Grow up and respect the meds. I had to do it, one of my sisters had to do it. You have to decide which path you're willing to take: one of physical pain or one of relief through RESPONSIBLE USE of painkillers. I'ts your choice to make (and oh yes Ruth, it's a choice) No one can make it for you.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Hello Silverphone. I hope your still willing to post after Peter's little lecture, but im sure he's simply trying to help. Silver, you are so young and we all really care about what happens to you. At 19 years of age, you have so much to live for. I agree that determining what is wrong with your back is very critical and necessary in determining the appropriate pain management plan. For some, it can be as simple as getting some non-medicinal treatments such as physio, massage therapy or other such treatments. Perhaps you need to seek a second opinion from another doctor, it wouldn't hurt.

    Without getting in to a lot of detail, I also suffer with chronic back pain and to make a long story short, I eventually ended up on oxycoden and oxycontin. Despite my pain, I began to feel as though they were controlling my life and I didn't want that at all. I went to my doctor and told her that I wanted off of them. My doctor respected my feelings and I basically went the cold turkey route with some added medications to help get the oxys out of my system. Although I am now on different pain management medication, I am taking them responsibility and as prescribed by my physician.

    Silver, you should be enjoying these youthful years and if you continue to resort to these pills, these years will be taken away from you. I really hope that you've had the opportunity to review the Thomas Recipe that Artist posted. Cold Turkey isn't easy, but neither is this addiction. You will find that the worst of the physical symptoms occur during the first week or so. If your serious about this, speak to your physican for added support. I also agree with Cheeky, that you would be doing yourself a favor by getting off of these things while your still so young, because the longer you wait, the harder it will become.

    Your story stands out for me. I know I continue to bring up your age and its only because It pains me to see a 19 year old facing all of these struggles. Please continue the fight Silver. We really do care about what happens to you, so please post and continue to seek the support of this forum.

  23. #23
    PeterRabbit2 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GirlWithNoName View Post
    Hello Silverphone. I hope your still willing to post after Peter's little lecture, but im sure he's simply trying to help.
    Indeed, I care so much,I lost sleep over it. Sometimes I may seem judgmental but keep in mind, I care to my core about you and everyone who suffers these addictions. My function, as I see it, is to shake people from their status quo, to play devil's advocate, almost. For in complacency, there is grave danger.

    You are so young, please don't let this become a decades long habit. Make an investment in you future and quit while you're ahead. If you've got back pain and NEED narcotics, PLEASE use them responsibly!

    Listen to your intuition. (And your doctor.)

    Peter

  24. #24
    getnovrit is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    376

    Default

    Amen Ruth,

    I am an addict and I have long been past the point of "choice". When I did have a choice years ago, I obviously made the wrong one!!!

    Getnovrit from MS

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Silver, please return to the forum and update us. We care about you and will support you through the good and bad......Girl

  26. #26
    ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    2,062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterRabbit2 View Post
    How about this: you have back pain (from what?). Why don't you find out WHY you abuse? Your back pain needs treatment. Maybe you need a swift kick in the pants, so here it is. Grow up and respect the meds. I had to do it, one of my sisters had to do it. You have to decide which path you're willing to take: one of physical pain or one of relief through RESPONSIBLE USE of painkillers. I'ts your choice to make (and oh yes Ruth, it's a choice) No one can make it for you.
    PeterRabbit,

    As my posting in response was deleted, I have re-written a response to this on your thread, PeterRabbit ("What's your style"). I had to dial back the passionate nature of my response, and speak only about the facts. I don't want to 'hijack' Silverphone's thread for our discussion.

  27. #27
    Catrina is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    888

    Default

    Silver,

    I just know that you've come back to read some posts. For whatever reason, you're not posting yourself. You will get encouragement and advice here. There will be no judgement (well from the vast majority of us there wont' be any). Read the responses to your thread. Pay attention to the ones that help you and ignore the rest.

    There's lots of people here already who are worried about you. If you haven't made the jump to c/t...no worries. You will get there. Sometimes it just takes time to prepare oneself for the leap. But once you start to think about ending your abuse, you'll continue to think about it, imagine it, until you finally want to be clean so bad that you'll do it. Come back and post. For me, it speeded up the process of being ready to do it!

    Cat

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Hi Silver, still thinking about you and how your doing. Like Cat said, "you will get encouragement and advice here," take what works for you and leave the rest. If you are struggling with "quitting," we won't judge, instead we support you and hopefully educate you to assist in your decision. Looking forward to hearing from you.......Girl

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22