confused in SC on methadone........want to be off..........
    annatfultz is offline New Member

Unhappy confused in SC on methadone........want to be off..........

I am new to thi discussion forum, but I live in SC and have been at a meth clinic for 3&1/2 yrs. I keep hearing about suboxone and subutex, but where i live u just hear abt meth. The clinic I go to has some wonderful counselors, a lot have had problems like us in the past, and a couple have not. My counselor has never experienced what we experience and she can be so mean and hateful and i think that since I pay for this service weekly I should be able to switch to a counselor I.am comfy talking about anything with. I am wanting to just quit my 75 mgs methadone cold turkey. There r several reasons but my counselor is a major part of it along with several reasons I am scared to talk to her about. Can someone please give me support, and any advice on what I should do.
    Last edited by annatfultz; 12-02-2010 at 02:59 PM.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by annatfultz View Post
    I am new to thi discussion forum, but I live in SC and have been at a meth clinic for 3&1/2 yrs. I keep hearing about suboxone and subutex, but where i live u just hear abt meth. The clinic I go to has some wonderful counselors, a lot have had problems like us in the past, and a couple have not. My counselor has never experienced what we experience and she can be so mean and hateful and i think that since I pay for this service weekly I should be able to switch to a counselor I.am comfy talking about anything with. I am wanting to just quit my 75 mgs methadone cold turkey. There r several reasons but my counselor is a major part of it along with several reasons I am scared to talk to her about. Can someone please give me support, and any advice on what I should do.

Don't do a cold turkey off methadone at 75mg. That could be dangerous seriously. You need to taper down to 30mg or you'll likely end up very sick switching now and then I can help you with the switch to subutex. That is a much easier detox. Here is a link to how I've done this here for years. Let me know how I can help you. God bless.

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    Don't do a cold turkey off methadone at 75mg. That could be dangerous seriously. You need to taper down to 30mg or you'll likely end up very sick switching now and then I can help you with the switch to subutex. That is a much easier detox. Here is a link to how I've done this here for years. Let me know how I can help you. God bless.

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html
    Thx. I am just not sure if my clinic does subs. My counselor scares me and I am scared to talk to her about anything. I feel more like she judges me. Thx for the quick response. I am ready to take whatever steps necessary to quit being so dependent on meth or ny painkillers. I am gonna get the courage up to talk to my counselor about coming down on meth. I only go every Tuesday. Do u know how long it would take me to get to 30 and how much my clinic will.allow me to come down at a time?

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by annatfultz View Post
    Thx. I am just not sure if my clinic does subs. My counselor scares me and I am scared to talk to her about anything. I feel more like she judges me. Thx for the quick response. I am ready to take whatever steps necessary to quit being so dependent on meth or ny painkillers. I am gonna get the courage up to talk to my counselor about coming down on meth. I only go every Tuesday. Do u know how long it would take me to get to 30 and how much my clinic will.allow me to come down at a time?

If your clinic doesn't do subs we can find you a dr. They should taper your methadone dose down by about 10-15% every 2-3 weeks or thereabouts.

They obviously won't want to do it if they don't use subs there as they will lose your money. Talk with them and let me know what they say.

You also want to get subutex rather than suboxone if possible as it's easier to work with and some people react to the naloxone in the suboxone. Trust me on that one. I will wait to hear back from you when you talk to your clinic.

You can go to www.suboxone.com in the meantime, enter your zip code and the number of miles you're willing to drive to a sub dr and they will give you a list of all sub-certified drs in that area. Remember you don't have to go in as often to see sub drs as a methadone clinic so you can drive a little farther. You want to get the best deal out there as some of the sub drs will charge you ridiculous fees and others will charge like a normal dr. I will help you with the subutex when you get it so all you need the dr for is to get the meds if you want my direction. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    If your clinic doesn't do subs we can find you a dr. They should taper your methadone dose down by about 10-15% every 2-3 weeks or thereabouts.

They obviously won't want to do it if they don't use subs there as they will lose your money. Talk with them and let me know what they say.

You also want to get subutex rather than suboxone if possible as it's easier to work with and some people react to the naloxone in the suboxone. Trust me on that one. I will wait to hear back from you when you talk to your clinic.

You can go to www.suboxone.com in the meantime, enter your zip code and the number of miles you're willing to drive to a sub dr and they will give you a list of all sub-certified drs in that area. Remember you don't have to go in as often to see sub drs as a methadone clinic so you can drive a little farther. You want to get the best deal out there as some of the sub drs will charge you ridiculous fees and others will charge like a normal dr. I will help you with the subutex when you get it so all you need the dr for is to get the meds if you want my direction. God bless.
    Thank u so much Robert. I will check into it and get back with u. Can't wait to get started.

Anonymous Guest

you need to tell your clinic, you want to taper down off methadone,
    and they will do it.
    ive been on methadone, for a long number of years, i tapered down once to zero but was using on the side anyway.
    if you have the mindset to quit, it is possible
    i used subs to get off, but in the end, i found they are hard to come off as well,

good luck, be assertive at your clinic, i know all about those things too, been thru the clinic and all its ""rules"" gets pretty dodgy to say the least.

hope it goes well for you
    cheeky

Quote Originally Posted by cheekysod View Post
    you need to tell your clinic, you want to taper down off methadone,
    and they will do it.
    ive been on methadone, for a long number of years, i tapered down once to zero but was using on the side anyway.
    if you have the mindset to quit, it is possible
    i used subs to get off, but in the end, i found they are hard to come off as well,

good luck, be assertive at your clinic, i know all about those things too, been thru the clinic and all its ""rules"" gets pretty dodgy to say the least.

hope it goes well for you
    cheeky
    Thank u. Everytime I turn around I do learn a new rule. I try so hard. I have also been diagnosed with a type if anxiety and a type of depression. My dr wants to prescribe me xanax or valium but he is leary cuz of meth. I am very suicidal at times so I buy them off street and take one and it helps me with my suicidal thoughts. I know I should not be taking them illegally but it really relaxes me when no ome else can. I need to get off meth and focus on my other illnesses. Thanx for your input.

Anonymous Guest

hey i hope you can come up with a plan thru your clinic, but main thing to know
    its not only hard to come off 75mg of methadone, it is dangerous.
    you willl be in for a world of withdrawl and hurt, if you try that.
    best to come down as low as you can before you jump off.
    good luck with everything, anxiety sucks ay.

keep posting, all the best
    cheeky