Concerta Overdose
    Letiumtide is offline New Member

Default Concerta Overdose

On Wednesday(18th) I overdosed on my Concerta medicaiton, by accident. I had taken a pill at around 6am just before I went to bed (as I was up late working on some artwork), I was awoken at 9 by work calling and telling me I needed to be in, my father reminded me to take my medication... so I did.

I went through the overdose symptoms and spent a long time at the hosptial, they told me I would be fine and they wanted me to stay there for a few hours to make certain that I was fine.

I've been back at work already... and things are alright except for this sharp pain on my insides, I want to say stomach but it's not just my stomach... it my whole intestinal area. I'm just wondering if anybody has ever experienced such a thing related to this...

Another problematic issue with this of course is my parents are very strict... I was told to take 4 days off of work, and well I took one because they refused to allow me to stay home. I'm worried however that because my stomach was not pumped that perhaps I have sustained some more serious internal damage than may have been apparent at my initial visit to the hospital. Thoughts?

ghostsurfer4 is offline Junior Member

quote:Originally posted by Letiumtide

On Wednesday(18th) I overdosed on my Concerta medicaiton, by accident. I had taken a pill at around 6am just before I went to bed (as I was up late working on some artwork), I was awoken at 9 by work calling and telling me I needed to be in, my father reminded me to take my medication... so I did.

I went through the overdose symptoms and spent a long time at the hosptial, they told me I would be fine and they wanted me to stay there for a few hours to make certain that I was fine.

I've been back at work already... and things are alright except for this sharp pain on my insides, I want to say stomach but it's not just my stomach... it my whole intestinal area. I'm just wondering if anybody has ever experienced such a thing related to this...

Another problematic issue with this of course is my parents are very strict... I was told to take 4 days off of work, and well I took one because they refused to allow me to stay home. I'm worried however that because my stomach was not pumped that perhaps I have sustained some more serious internal damage than may have been apparent at my initial visit to the hospital. Thoughts?
    What is Concerta used for? I would think that they would have pumped your stomach just to make sure that you didn't have any Concerta left in your system. I've overdosed on Valium several times but I did that on purpose but when I was taken to the E.R. they did pump my stomach each time which is definitely not a fun experience. I would never OD on purpose again. As far as the pain in your abdomen goes I think you should see your doctor and see if he can possibly order some kind of test's to find out what is causing your pain.

Best of luck to you.

Beverly

zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

Beverly, Concerta is a drug most commonly used for ADD or ADHD, it is also known as Ritalin, the actual drug is Methylphenidate.

Letiumtide, you really didn't overdose, you just took a bit too much, more than your body is used to processing at once. It takes more than 2 pills to overdose and while you might have felt awful for a while, you more than likely didn't even need to go to the hospital, though if you are in doubt or worried it is always a good idea to go, just in case.

I would doubt also, that two pills could do permanent damage to your stomch or other internal organs, you might have some irritation, but it will eventually go away. As you can see on the drugs.com page for this, abdominal pain and discomfort can be a normal side effect of Concerta:

http://www.drugs.com/concerta.html

If you continued with a higher dose, these effects could last anywhere from several days to several weeks, depending on how long it takes your body to adjust to that dosage. Since you were still suffering them afterwards but only doubled your dose that one time, they will eventually go away. You will also see that most of the symptoms you probably suffered are normal side effects, the hospital most likely just wanted to keep you around for awhile to make sure you weren't going to have an adverse reaction to the higher dose.

"Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take Concerta and talk to your doctor if you experience
    · insomnia (difficulty sleeping);
    · nervousness;
    · drowsiness;
    · dizziness;
    · headache;
    · blurred vision;
    · tics (repetitive movements);
    · abdominal pain, nausea, or vomiting;
    · decreased appetite or weight loss; or
    · slower weight gain and/or growth."

As ghostsurfer4 mentioned, if they were really concerned that you were in danger, they would have provided some form of treatment and pumped your stomach.

Beverly, I am betting since you did it intentionally you probably took more than 2 pills so they had no choice but to pump your stomach, but that is not normal practice for someone who has taken so few pills.

As to your parents, how old are you that you must listen to them so stringently? If you are under 18, you don't have much choice, but they do need to understand that if the doc said you should be off work for some reason, then you should take the appropriate time off to let your body recover, whether they like it or not. Very unfair of them to worry more about your job than your health.

If you have problems again and a doc recommends time off, I would suggest having him speak directly to your parents so he can explain why you should do so. Then maybe they will be a little more understanding.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~

sweetchikk05 is offline Banned

You cant overdose on 2 pills taken too close together, you arent going to have permanent damage either, thats all in your head, and drs know what they are doing if you would have needed your stomach pumped they would have done it, and if you werent ok they wouldnt have sent you home, duh they are liable, I am sure thats why your folks sent you to work becuase they know as well as anyone else that you didnt even come close to overdosing, I think its all in your head, and I am not trying to be rude its just the way it is dear

Liz Ann

haakon.kierulf is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by sweetchikk05 View Post
    You cant overdose on 2 pills taken too close together, you arent going to have permanent damage either, thats all in your head, and drs know what they are doing if you would have needed your stomach pumped they would have done it, and if you werent ok they wouldnt have sent you home, duh they are liable, I am sure thats why your folks sent you to work becuase they know as well as anyone else that you didnt even come close to overdosing, I think its all in your head, and I am not trying to be rude its just the way it is dear

Liz Ann
    OK, I am afraid you are sadly mistake; it is highly unlikely you overdosed. Dosages go as high as 72mg (only for adolescents and above, so it depends on your age a bit) of concerta in the morning (two 36mg tablets). I have taken up to 216mg in 12 hrs (that's 12 18mg tablets, 8 27mg tablets, 6 36mg tablets, or 4 54mg tablets. I’ve also ingested the regular release formula of the active ingredient in concerta, (ritalin or Methylphenidate -- chemically similar to amphetamines but not an actual amphetamine) 360mg in less then 12hours via Intranasal Insufflation (or snorting it, causing it to hit the blood stream much quicker. Increasing the chance of an overdose, or display overdose symptoms), and oral (each dose lasting at least 4 hours in the body, concerta when taken whole lasts 12 due to it's control release formula).
    And I am not just an exception. More adolescents then not tried ritalin regular release at 90mg - the most common recreational dose going up to 500mg in 12hours.
    The lowest dose reported that resulted in an overdose, stomach pumping and all, was 378mg in one dose -- he took 7 54mg tablets of concerta.
    The dose at which one ODs is also connected strongly to body weight. I personally, weigh about 56 Kilograms.
    The LD (or lethal dose) is in between 98mg/kg to 1,000mg/kg.
    An excellent resource on methylphenidate is http://sitemaker.umich.edu/umsarc/fi...ter_umsarc.pdf .
    I hope this clears up some misconceptions that seem to be floating around.
    I would like to know your age, weight, and dosage you take per day, and what strength of tablet you are taking.

Another site that might be of some use is www.erowid.org

Dave87666 is offline Member

Yeah I am sorry but you didnt OD on 2 pills..

Emokid is offline New Member

Thumbs down NO!

this is all bull ********************, you cant od on concerta. in the last 2 weeks i have consumed over 3054 mg of the 54 mg pills. This was due to my studying for finals and work and ect...

SO note this there are no side effects. and there is definatly no lethal dosage

candixsickness is offline New Member

Taken one more concerta than you usually do isn't overdosing. My phys. prescribed the medication to me and on the bottle it says, take 1-2.
    Perhaps it might be different for you, but anyways.
    Now, what I do, is called overdose.
    See, when my phys. presrcibed the medicine she told me to take one, and if I felt the need to take another, that I should do so.
    Which I never did, but recently my phys. diagnosed me with panic and depression disorder, along with my add/adhd.
    And situations in my life began to unravel, I suppose you could say...
    So, the day before yesterday, I took five.
    One in the morning, like usual. Two when I arrived at school.
    And three late at night, and speaking of, you're not supposed to take them before you go to bed.

And I already felt dizzy, which is one symptom of a concerta overdose.
    I even passed out a little and ended up sleeping on my floor and then woke up with muscle pains, another symptom of a concerta overdose.

Then, yesterday.
    I took about twelve or more.
    One in the morning.
    Two when I got to school, again.
    A few more after school.
    A couple of more, and etc.
    I just kept repeatedly popping them in my mouth.

Honestly, I believe I became a pre-presrciptive addict.
    I've been taking them since January, and I'm already addicted.
    In just about two days, which is really bad. I was aware that most that take Concerta, tend to develop an addiction, but I WASN'T aware that it could happen to me.
    It makes me feel good though, the day AFTER I overdose.
    For instance, the night that I took about twelve.
    I suffered alll the symptoms.

Which would be :
    Overdose can cause vomiting, agitation, tremors, muscle twitching, seizure (convulsions), confusion, hallucinations, sweating, fast or pounding heartbeat, blurred vision, dry mouth and nose, and fainting.

Especially CONFUSION. I was on the phone with my boyfriend both nights I overdosed and I had no idea what I was saying.
    I was just rambling to myself.
    About nothing though.
    I would just be like..
    "uhmm..uh...?" that's all i could say. And blurry vision. I could hardly see anything. Fainting, yes.
    And dry mouth, I still have it even the day after I overdosed.
    Hallucinations also became a huge problem.

So, to everyone that is overdosing purposely or not.
    Don't do it.
    You can take one, you can take two.
    But please, I advise you not to take more than what's prescribed.

candixsickness is offline New Member

Oh, and by the way.
    You CAN overdose.
    Taking more than the given dose would be considered an overdose.

Timbo2274 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Letiumtide View Post

The only time I have ever overdosed on concerta. I ended up with hemroids from a severe lack of boul movements. This might be the feeling that you are experienceing in your stomache. constipation!

Beefcake2727 is offline Banned

Oh I can completely agree with that. I have a hard time sleeping too. Sometimes I look forward to the nights I don't sleep at all because I know by 30 hours in of not sleeping when I finally do fall asleep it's an amazing sleep. One thing I would want to point out though is and I'm sure you know this but that med you're taking is a stimulant so it's going to help keep you awake. I don't know how comfortable you are with your doctor but maybe bring it up to them and they can give you some suggestions to help. Do you have to take your meds before you go to sleep? Can you switch it so you take it in the morning? That may help a little. I also make sure to avoid caffeine unless I pull an all nighter and need to be awake for something. You can also try something over the counter. I take Tylenol pm which helps i would say half the time. Other times it just mellows me out. I'm also a huge fan of those bob Marley teas. They have valerian root in them which also mellows you out. Valerian root and melatonin though can cause kinda "vibrant" dreams though just to give you a heads up. There is also sleepy time tea or you can straight up buy melatonin or valerian root supplements but check and make sure non of those mess with your meds before you try them. I haven't had a problem with interaction yet with all the meds I'm on but I always make sure to check cause they can mess with some of them. Those are some of the suggestions I have but sometimes you just got to lay there and rest at least when you can't sleep which sucks. That or bite the bullet and asked the doctor for something, but I'm not really one for that route since those sleep aids are not only addicting but can make you do weird things while you're sleeping lol. I already wake up sometimes and go to the fridge for a snack at 5am. I don't need to start sleep eating while I can't work out right now.

mynameisodd is offline New Member

Wow thanks for all that, but really the only time I have trouble sleeping the night I overdoses.

Oh lol. Well once again understandable with it being a stimulate and all. We're you out with friends at all earlier or were you just chilling by yourself for the night? Not sure if you saw my post before it got deleted but I gave you a little intro to myself. Things get deleted at times. Hard to tell what was said to cause it this time though.

mynameisodd is offline New Member

Yeah I was out with my friends. I woke up super dehydrated and feeling awful. I just lied in bed for a while and drank some water and felt much better.

Keep drinking a lot of water today too. That will help flush your system out.

Hey my nameisodd. Just wondering if you're still out there and how the rest of your day went? Hope you're feeling better!