Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 94
Like Tree15Likes
Cold Turkey Methadone Withdrawal, Timeline
  1. #1
    Dopesick420 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    56

    Exclamation Cold Turkey Methadone Withdrawal, Timeline

    Greetings,

    First post, been lurking around trying to soak up some advice, as im going through hell. Not many things that Iv seen been suggested have helped with the symptoms of opiate withdrawal, but i thought if I shared my story, I might assist someone else in the same boat with some things im doing. I also have a few questions of my own.

    My story: 22 year old from the Northwest, been an all around drug user since age 11, fell in love with downers (pot,liqour,pills,etc..) but had a special liking for opiates. Of course, started with properly swallowing a few vicodins before school, to morphine, to oxycontin and eventually anything that would melt down to shoot. This led to a >>>>>> addiction, out of control crime sprees and prison time. Been on the methadone program for the past 3 years.

    Financial issues and general disgusts at the money-hungry, selfish operation of the clinics up here has forced me to cut myself off, cold turkey. I knew methadone held a larger half life than most pills and >>>>>>, but didnt take into consideration when quitting. I knew the first few days were borderline suicidal for me, and it helped to hear other peoples timelines of there symptoms.

    Male, 6ft 200 pounds. Started at minimum dose at clinic initiation. (30mg).
    Stabalized at 75, went no higher.

    1. Sunday, July 9th i took my last dose of methadone
    2. Days 1 and 2 were pretty mild, as I had accumulated a large amount of the done in my system.
    3. Come day 3 i started to get really uncomfortable. Horrible pains throughout my body, sneezing, fatigue, and the most painful and frustrating part: MY LEGS.
    ((( Meds taken, advil (useless), flexeril (useless, caused me restless nighmares awaking every 5 minutes), and some OTC RLS pills which also did nothing.
    4. Day 4, i was in the deepest darkest crevice of hell, underneath my bed in a fetile position crying and shaking. I should have checked myself into the ER or a detox at this point, but as i said, lack of money and health insurance (and the fact that im a parolee and flagged by the pharmacy dept. as a junkie) discouraged me from seeking professional help.
    5. Starting at day two and continuing into today (day 11), I have worst insomnia iv ever experienced. I went to the vitamin store and stocked up some some calcium, magnesium and potassium. Havent noticed the slighest difference in my body.
    6. I DID however track down some Xanax, but that isnt helping either. If I could temporarily amputate my legs, i would be happy. Nothing worse than tossing and turning because of pain.


    What DOES help, (even if its only for a few minutes), is a hot bath. The trick is to sit in it while it fills up extremely hot, that way you arent discouraged to get in when you stick your toe in and burns like ????! letting it warm up while your in it helps. Other than that, ladies and gentleman, im stuck

    Im a zombie. Mentally exhausted from the lack of sleep. I do work a physical job, and maintaining it as of late has been very difficult. Iv been up for almost 4 days straight. Cant sleep a wink. I was hoping that somebody might chip in some advice for me, as the sleep insomnia and the pain in my legs is driving me to the edge of insanity. I will name a list of all meds taken to help. Thanks for reading (if you didnt back out after seeing the length of it it.) I would love any advice that would help me through this tough time. And >> also like to say, i knew i would be a total wreck. I WANTED off the ????. If spent over $10,000 going to this clinic and im tired of having the monkey on my back. Its painful, but YOU CAN DO IT. Thanks!

    {{{ Meds Taken:

    Centrum Advance Multi Vitamin
    Potassium Gluconate
    Magnesium Sulfate
    Calcium Supplement
    A couple 5mg hydrocodone (waste of time)
    1mg xanax (only taken 2 so far, not helping at all)
    Immodium for the runs.

    Thanks again
    tjones3590 likes this.

  2. #2
    Dopesick420 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    56

    Default

    The forum would not let me edit my post, as I had forgot to add the quesitons I have. I was wondering from the pros who have done this methadone WD ???? before, how long should i expect to be in such excruciating pain and have this insomnia? i was told after day 7 i should be gravy, but im comin up on day 12 and im still miserable

  3. #3
    stellablue1983 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Hi, I am currently on Methadone and share the same reasons for wanting to quit cold turkey but have been persuaded by my family to dose down out of their fear of a relapse. I wish there was something I could say to help you I know that one thing that has really helped my leg pain when I refused to keep upping my dose was imodium I would take like 10 at a time and it really helps the pain, I was given the tip for that from someone who used to be on methadone.. I also unfortunately have heard that it can take up to a month before you feel better after quitting cold turkey. It sounds to me like you are a strong person and will get through this. The only other advice I have is to look into some herbal remedies for restless leg pain and also drink Kombucha the live cultures in it seem to make me feel better. I am not a doctor or anything even close just a 28 year old girl with over 10 years experience as a junkie and now 1 year on methadone but if you need anything else just ask

  4. #4
    Ken 09 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    19

    Default Been there...........

    dopesick..…Reading your post brought back so many memories for me. I had $200/day H habit and was taking 120mg/day methadone (plus the usual assortment is benzos and other drugs to boost my high) and had been on a considerably long (3 yrs) run when all of a sudden it all came to an abrupt halt. The short story is that an arrest resulted in my having to spend over five years in state prison. I never made bail so I was stuck in the can trying to surive severe wd symptoms. Here's how it went for me. Overall, I lost 50lbs before I could eat the 2500 cal/day diet that was available to me, it was two months before I even wanted to eat. I didn't sleep for two weeks, after that I would experience these strange fatigue nods that would last anywhere from five to thirty minutes. After a month I was getting a whooping two or three hours a night. Three months later I was sleeping about half the night, and when half the year had past I finally felt like I was sleeping normally. My hands shook for months, so bad that I couldn't deal a deck of cards without droping them. It went on for so long that I actually started to wonder if it was a permanent side effect from the drug abuse. And of course, I had the constant dull to severe stomach cramps which was the most debilitating symptom of all. I've kicked dope many times but none can be compared to what I experienced in prison. The taking of H and methadone, along with being looked up made me feel like I had made it to hell. It was the only time in my life that I gave serious consideration to killing myself. But i made it through, and now I'm remarried, own a house in the burbs, earn more than enough, and live well.

    So, know matter how bleak your situation looks right now take some comfort in two facts, there are other addicts out there that are worse off than you, and YOU can make you life better than it is right now.

    The plain and sad truth is, not much works to relieve opiate withdrawal symptoms. Your right about the hot baths though, during other detoxes I used that method a lot to alleviate the stomach cramps. For me, all the vitamins and other ???? is just that, ????. As far as I see it you really only two options if you want to get clean. Suck it up and do nothing while and wait for your hell to end, or get on suboxone. I would choose the latter, theres lots of information on how to go about it on the board. And there's plenty of folks on here who are willing to work with you through the process. If you do choose the sub route I suggest you get as many as possible and take the advice of the aforementioned people on the board as they really do know how to get it done right. Check out some of the other threads you'll see what I'm talking about.

    You said you're in the NE, if you're in the Boston area I may be able to help you get in a suboxone program.

    Good luck my friend.

    Sometimes we need to get a glimpse of hell to realize the beauty of heaven.

  5. #5
    Dopesick420 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Thanks for all the kind words, ladies and gents. I was half expecting to get trashed for such a long post, as Iv seen it many a time on other forums.


    Im actually in the Northwest. I did do the suboxone program before the methadone, but just found myself selling my pills and avoiding any real effort of recovery. Guess I just wasnt ready to quit.

    Ken, you are right, our stories are very similar. My co-defendant and I (we got inter-state >>>>>> trafficking/conspiracy charges, mandatory minimum 15 years in my state) went through hell when we got busted. F*cked up thing about it is, i actually had a valid script for Subs and Norcos, but how stupid and conservative it is around here, the jail would not even administer narcotics, period. SO i guess i should at least be thankful im not in some grungy ass cell with pubes and puke everywhere with nobody that gives a rats about you.

    I appreciate the encouragement. My family and friends are all amazed that iv decided to cut myself off cold turkey, but the red tape and shenanigans of our clinics and the lack of cash have really solidified my choice to tough it out. Once again, thanks. And if you guys have any more suggestions, throw them my way. Ima go take my like 20935320498th bath.

  6. #6
    Titty Puff is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dopesick420 View Post
    Thanks for all the kind words, ladies and gents. I was half expecting to get trashed for such a long post, as Iv seen it many a time on other forums.


    Im actually in the Northwest. I did do the suboxone program before the methadone, but just found myself selling my pills and avoiding any real effort of recovery. Guess I just wasnt ready to quit.

    Ken, you are right, our stories are very similar. My co-defendant and I (we got inter-state >>>>>> trafficking/conspiracy charges, mandatory minimum 15 years in my state) went through hell when we got busted. F*cked up thing about it is, i actually had a valid script for Subs and Norcos, but how stupid and conservative it is around here, the jail would not even administer narcotics, period. SO i guess i should at least be thankful im not in some grungy ass cell with pubes and puke everywhere with nobody that gives a rats about you.

    I appreciate the encouragement. My family and friends are all amazed that iv decided to cut myself off cold turkey, but the red tape and shenanigans of our clinics and the lack of cash have really solidified my choice to tough it out. Once again, thanks. And if you guys have any more suggestions, throw them my way. Ima go take my like 20935320498th bath.
    Why would you be prescribed Hydrocodone and Suboxone at the same time? You have a severe and bad addiction problem.

    If you wanted to kick methadone, you should have stuck with it and let THEM tamper you down off of it. It can be done, but it does take time, like 3 months to get your dosage down to the point where you don't have to take it everyday.

    I see you on the borderline of going to your local ghetto and copping some >>>>>>. Either go to the Methadone clinic, or immediately go in-patient somewhere. You can go to a detox center or to a Hospital. I'd recommend a Hospital doing in-patient there. It's a lot better of an environment and Hospitals offer better medication. Detox centers as far as I know offer Suboxone at the most, but usually don't offer anything but sleep medication etc.

    A medicine called Librium can help you go through withdrawal and get you off of it. Ask your doctor about it and get on it. It helps for all kinds of withdrawals: alcohol, opiate, even benzo withdrawals (and it's a benzo!). Tell him you cold-turkey'd Methadone and you want to get on it and be tampered off it. Then you'll be clean. They gave me this when I went to jail in the hood because everyone there is all strung out they have a detox program and this medication let me sleep and I didn't withdraw at all surprisingly.

  7. #7
    Dopesick420 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Hey, thanks for the reply, i guess. Wasnt really looking for discouragement but ok. Im allready 13 days into this ???? and if I can make it this far, i dont see I couldnt continue. And before you judge my "severe addiction problem", probably should ask for facts. I havent abused drugs in over 3 years man and the reasons for individuals getting prescribed certain medication could be endless. And at the rate our clinics reduce your dose, it would be another couple years till im off the ????, and in case you missed it, im not Mr. Moneybags. Thus being a prime factor in the choice to live an unadulterated life. But if reading my story makes you think im just gonna go get some dope over some withdrawas, cool. Ima continue on my path.

    I made the post hoping to reach somebody else in the same pain, and maybe get some tips on relieving symptoms. Take it how you want to. Peace


    Quote Originally Posted by Titty Puff View Post
    Why would you be prescribed Hydrocodone and Suboxone at the same time? You have a severe and bad addiction problem.

    If you wanted to kick methadone, you should have stuck with it and let THEM tamper you down off of it. It can be done, but it does take time, like 3 months to get your dosage down to the point where you don't have to take it everyday.

    I see you on the borderline of going to your local ghetto and copping some >>>>>>. Either go to the Methadone clinic, or immediately go in-patient somewhere. You can go to a detox center or to a Hospital. I'd recommend a Hospital doing in-patient there. It's a lot better of an environment and Hospitals offer better medication. Detox centers as far as I know offer Suboxone at the most, but usually don't offer anything but sleep medication etc.

    A medicine called Librium can help you go through withdrawal and get you off of it. Ask your doctor about it and get on it. It helps for all kinds of withdrawals: alcohol, opiate, even benzo withdrawals (and it's a benzo!). Tell him you cold-turkey'd Methadone and you want to get on it and be tampered off it. Then you'll be clean. They gave me this when I went to jail in the hood because everyone there is all strung out they have a detox program and this medication let me sleep and I didn't withdraw at all surprisingly.
    Last edited by Dopesick420; 07-21-2011 at 11:25 PM.

  8. #8
    humjez is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    26

    Default your doin it...

    I have just gone through a methdaone WD i was not on as high of a dose as you but if you search this forum you may find previous posts that can help. I know that I was not right for like 5-6 weeks. The sleep was the last to resume to normal. I started taking benadryll and valerian root to help sleep. If its been almost two weeks for you them hell, your almost there. it is hard but the feeling of being free from that drug is worth the hell we have to endure while it works out of your system. Excercise helped me. even if its a quick jont around the block. sex helps a lot too. I took the supplement tyrosine and it helped me feel a little better in the morning. then take like 3 showers or baths a day when it gets unbearable. these are my own experiences and i hope it helps you. please dont get discouraged because i know i did. you can do this!!!

  9. #9
    Ken 09 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Oh you're
    in the NW, yeah you're basically effed then. Here's the thing, if you've made it two weeks without getting high it's a testament to your will and determination. Superman ain't got nothin on you! You shoud be very proud of yourself, and your family should be as well. Youre a better man than me. The reason I told you about my bid from hell was to not only remind you but also myself what awaits us both if we use again. I dont blame you for avoiding the dreaded clinics and rehabs, I've done it your way a few times myself. But remember, if your ass is up against the wall and you're about to get high you're better off in one of those joints instead of using and possibly ending up kicking cold in the can again. But at this point the worst is definitely behind you, you're good, it's all down hill from here.

    The previous poster offered good info. Especially the hot bathes and the sex. I know its weird to even think about sex when your dope sick, but trust us, nothing relieves stomach cramps like an orgasim and a hot bath, and in that order too. Walks are good, music helps, just get out of your house as much as possible. Sometimes some of our wd symptoms are psychosomatic and when we isolate we tend to exaggerate and let our mind get the best of us. And lastly, try and get to an NA meeting and tell someone there what's going on with you. As great as this forum is nothing surpasses direct, face to face interaction with another human being, epecally another recovering addict.

    And what ever you do, don't "go to your local ghetto and buy >>>>>>." I laughed my ass off when I read that ????. Some folks havent a clue. But you gotta lovem for tryin.

    Good luck again bro, hang tough.

    Ken

  10. #10
    Dopesick420 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken 09 View Post
    Oh you're
    in the NW, yeah you're basically effed then. Here's the thing, if you've made it two weeks without getting high it's a testament to your will and determination. Superman ain't got nothin on you! You shoud be very proud of yourself, and your family should be as well. Youre a better man than me. The reason I told you about my bid from hell was to not only remind you but also myself what awaits us both if we use again. I dont blame you for avoiding the dreaded clinics and rehabs, I've done it your way a few times myself. But remember, if your ass is up against the wall and you're about to get high you're better off in one of those joints instead of using and possibly ending up kicking cold in the can again. But at this point the worst is definitely behind you, you're good, it's all down hill from here.

    The previous poster offered good info. Especially the hot bathes and the sex. I know its weird to even think about sex when your dope sick, but trust us, nothing relieves stomach cramps like an orgasim and a hot bath, and in that order too. Walks are good, music helps, just get out of your house as much as possible. Sometimes some of our wd symptoms are psychosomatic and when we isolate we tend to exaggerate and let our mind get the best of us. And lastly, try and get to an NA meeting and tell someone there what's going on with you. As great as this forum is nothing surpasses direct, face to face interaction with another human being, epecally another recovering addict.

    And what ever you do, don't "go to your local ghetto and buy >>>>>>." I laughed my ass off when I read that ????. Some folks havent a clue. But you gotta lovem for tryin.

    Good luck again bro, hang tough.

    Ken

    Ken,

    My man. Make me smile every time you reply. We need more cats around here like you. Your words help me so much. Other than my family and my girl, iv got nobody. No real "friends". There all dead and in prison. And to be honest, i dont even crave drugs anymore. Most important part is removing yourself from the scene. Sometimes it takes someone overdosing, puking and dying in front you and a stint in the joint to get you straight. Now on top of that, Iv experienced the worst WD's of my life and I think thats enough to keep me away from it. Im GLAD i took the cold turkey route. One last horrible reminder of whats to come if I continue to use in the future. Iv been told i may lose my right arm in less than a decade due to collapsed veins and large shots of speedballs missed into my muscles.

    You just have to want it. One of my old homies just got out, paroled after 6 years. Made it 4 days, OD'd in a chevron bathroom. Violated, right back to the pen. Its all about a better life. And as iv said, hearing you speak and encourage me helps out a ton.

    Update, by the way.

    It will be two weeks tommorow. Just to let anybody know whos still searching for specific answers, your 'done withdrawal will take a couple days to kick in, but the most physical and horrible part of it all should end in 10 days. My legs still hurt, but today was the first day (day 13) that I made it through a work day without being 100% miserable. Sleep, as I will corraborate (sp? lol), is the last, and most likely the worst and most annoying symptom. Im loadin up on Trazadone (rx), a beer or two, and maybe a xanax if it gets bad, and im still yet to sleep longer than 30 minutes at a time through the night. I fall asleep, feel like iv been asleep for 4 days, wake up and look at the clock and its been 10 minutes. Very frustrating.

    Bottom line, it CAN be done. Im sensitive to withdrawals, and I made it through this one. Its 10x worse than >>>>>> WD, and back in the day >> hold up a effin hotdog stand for $10 if it meant >> get high that day. Steal from your own effin mother for gods sake. Now, years later and many an experience behind me, its time to be a man and tough it out. You may feel like shootin yourself, but remember the phrase "this too shall pass". And yeah, bathtub, bathtub, bathtub!

    And by the way, you mentioned sex, but i feel like im in 7th grade again, if you know what i mean! Its embarassing. Is it just me?

    Anyways, take care all and thanks.
    Last edited by Dopesick420; 07-22-2011 at 10:55 PM.

  11. #11
    Ken 09 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Dopesick.....Inspiring words my friend. I'm away on work and posting from my phone but I just wanted to let you know that your posts and responding to them have been good medicine for me. And it's nice to connect with someone who's walked in your shoes. I'm not on the board as much as some folks but when I do come on I'll look for you. Good luck dude.

  12. #12
    dakotawoody is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Hi Dopesick I just wanted to say congratulations to you for getting as far as you have with quitting. Keep it up you will get there Im sure of it.
    I have heard from several people that the salvation army has rehab programs that might be able to help you at a low cost.
    Im right here with you, I lost my job last year and of course there went my medical, so (thank god) my boyfriend and I are now domestic partners and Im on his insurance which isnt the greatest but still it's better than nothing at all, so I may look into it when I go off of methadone next week.
    Again keep at it, itll work for you.

  13. #13
    Dopesick420 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dakotawoody View Post
    Hi Dopesick I just wanted to say congratulations to you for getting as far as you have with quitting. Keep it up you will get there Im sure of it.
    I have heard from several people that the salvation army has rehab programs that might be able to help you at a low cost.
    Im right here with you, I lost my job last year and of course there went my medical, so (thank god) my boyfriend and I are now domestic partners and Im on his insurance which isnt the greatest but still it's better than nothing at all, so I may look into it when I go off of methadone next week.
    Again keep at it, itll work for you.

    Hello and thanks for your reply.

    I appreciate the kind words. This hasent been easy at all. Im now 2.5 weeks into it, the worse has passed. Some days are better than others. I work, and its tough.I had to leave early today because i was in so much pain. All the pains i had before i got on painkillers are magnified from with withdrawals, so im in exruciating pain some days. That, the runs, random chills ( its 97 degrees out), ad sneezing 9-12 times in a row are now my current and most prevelant symptoms. Im just going one day at a time. Knowing, or at least telling myself, that maybe tommorow may bring something better.

    Anyways, thanks again.

  14. #14
    Htownlove is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Hey DS420,

    Just checking in on you. We both got clean around the same time so I was just checking on you progress. I'm 24 days clean today and still chugging. I hope all is well with you buddy.

  15. #15
    Dopesick420 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Htownlove View Post
    Hey DS420,

    Just checking in on you. We both got clean around the same time so I was just checking on you progress. I'm 24 days clean today and still chugging. I hope all is well with you buddy.
    Hey thanks man.

    Ya, sunday will be a month. So today is... like day 25 or something. Idk. Stil not feeling well.Have had horrible diahrea since day 2, so over 3 weeks. Sucks bad. Sleep is still hard to come by. My pain in the legs is still there. Like i said, i just dont know. Im just tryin to get through the day im currently living, day by day. As iv said, i DO in fact work, and its hell. In serious pain all day. Everybody thinks im a wimp. They just dont understand. Theres only one guy there that had once been dependant on opiates, other than that im all by myself. I feel pretty hopeless. Thoughts like i will never start to feel better, and that I had possibly permanently altered my brain chemistry, and that I might need to be on opiates my whole life in order to function properly. I have 0 cravings for a high, but have high desire to be out of pain which i know only way to happen is to dose. Idk. Its tough.

    Anyways, how you feeling?

  16. #16
    Htownlove is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    50

    Default

    I feel great. I have my good days and my bad days but that's ok. My energy is much better. Sleep still isn't a hundred percent but ill take it over detox any day lol. I know how you feel but look at it like this, who would ever go to work while kicking the done? Hardly anyone! I couldn't do ???? for a month, not even drive. And look at you, giving the done the finger and walking away, and working at the same time! You my friend are very tough and have a huge amount of will power. I wish I had an ounce of that when I kicked it years ago. The first three weeks I couldn't of told you my first name cause I was just a wreck. I'm sooo proud of you sweety. You have made it through war, a battle of epic proportion, you should hold your head high. And so what your not 100 % yet. But you are you, the real you, and be greatfull for what you HAVE done, not upset about the blah feeling. Active addicts would kill to get the clean time you have. Be easy on yourself sweety, don't beat yourself up. We both have done that enough to ourselves over the years. Hope you are in good spirits. You are in my prayers. Sarah

  17. #17
    Dopesick420 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Hey,

    Thanks again. I needed that. Its hard to give youself credit sometimes. I knew it was going to be tough. I started my detox unaware i was about to be thrown into a big project at work, with a subsequent promotion upon succesful completion. So yeah, that on top of the withdrawals, it does feel good that I did it. And if you were still feeling like ???? within the 30 day margin, then it does give me a little encouragement. Iv always been used to dope wd's, over pretty quick. Thought i would be semi normal after 10 days. Oh well though, ill keep a better attitude around and just hope for the best. Thanks,

    Dopesick

    Oh and P.S., please excuse my assumption that you were a male and for adressing you so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Htownlove View Post
    I feel great. I have my good days and my bad days but that's ok. My energy is much better. Sleep still isn't a hundred percent but ill take it over detox any day lol. I know how you feel but look at it like this, who would ever go to work while kicking the done? Hardly anyone! I couldn't do ???? for a month, not even drive. And look at you, giving the done the finger and walking away, and working at the same time! You my friend are very tough and have a huge amount of will power. I wish I had an ounce of that when I kicked it years ago. The first three weeks I couldn't of told you my first name cause I was just a wreck. I'm sooo proud of you sweety. You have made it through war, a battle of epic proportion, you should hold your head high. And so what your not 100 % yet. But you are you, the real you, and be greatfull for what you HAVE done, not upset about the blah feeling. Active addicts would kill to get the clean time you have. Be easy on yourself sweety, don't beat yourself up. We both have done that enough to ourselves over the years. Hope you are in good spirits. You are in my prayers. Sarah
    Last edited by Dopesick420; 08-06-2011 at 02:01 AM.

  18. #18
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    dopesick, and htown, you guys are awesome.... welcome to the club, not many of us get out alive, ya know that... we are in the 1% club, or something like that, specially you dopesick,,, i been in your shoes mate, coming off methadone is hard. i did it, moved to another country, to australia, from new zealand,,, just to get away... i did it real hard,

    yeh, after about a month 6 weeks, you start to feel better, i know its a long drawn out process, oh yeh, i ran marathons in my sleep (well my restlessness) and had no energy during the day, i could hardly eat, hardly do anything, and i pulled all my calf muscles from stretching coz of the narly rls i had.. oh yeh, i forget sometimes how bloody hard it was.... and i was stupid, and got clean for a few years then dabbled again thinkin i was ok to dabble. and got right back to where i was, i hated myself for it,. what a fool i was... so in 2009 i went on subs, and it took me a year and 3 months to use them, to get off the methadone,.. i have been off the subs now for 7 months...

    you are in that phase, which sucks to be quite honest.. but you are so close to the end mate, it does get better, oh i say 'done robs your soul, it so does, you will start to feel again, joy, sadness, extreme happiness, all your emotions will come back, its great. i enjoyed music again. art, being creative. just being in the present and living life again...

    anyway this isnt about me, its telling you guys, KEEP YOUR HEAD WAY UP HIGH, and be proud of yourselves, like i say, not many of us make it out alive, let alone clean, we lived to tell the tale, we are survivors, fighters, we beat this...

    good on ya guys, keep up the great work... oh and by the way, if you can, go out and buy yourself a treat, i remember when i was off the 'done, and on the subs, i saved a ton of money ( i was using illicit 'done not on a program so it cost me a fortune ) so i rewarded myself by gettin me some purple nikes, yup. just a silly wee thing like that, but a reward, coz i did well... you deserve the same...

    c o n g r a t u l a t i o n s

    good on ya

    cheeky

  19. #19
    Dopesick420 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cheekysod View Post
    dopesick, and htown, you guys are awesome.... welcome to the club, not many of us get out alive, ya know that... we are in the 1% club, or something like that, specially you dopesick,,, i been in your shoes mate, coming off methadone is hard. i did it, moved to another country, to australia, from new zealand,,, just to get away... i did it real hard,

    yeh, after about a month 6 weeks, you start to feel better, i know its a long drawn out process, oh yeh, i ran marathons in my sleep (well my restlessness) and had no energy during the day, i could hardly eat, hardly do anything, and i pulled all my calf muscles from stretching coz of the narly rls i had.. oh yeh, i forget sometimes how bloody hard it was.... and i was stupid, and got clean for a few years then dabbled again thinkin i was ok to dabble. and got right back to where i was, i hated myself for it,. what a fool i was... so in 2009 i went on subs, and it took me a year and 3 months to use them, to get off the methadone,.. i have been off the subs now for 7 months...

    you are in that phase, which sucks to be quite honest.. but you are so close to the end mate, it does get better, oh i say 'done robs your soul, it so does, you will start to feel again, joy, sadness, extreme happiness, all your emotions will come back, its great. i enjoyed music again. art, being creative. just being in the present and living life again...

    anyway this isnt about me, its telling you guys, KEEP YOUR HEAD WAY UP HIGH, and be proud of yourselves, like i say, not many of us make it out alive, let alone clean, we lived to tell the tale, we are survivors, fighters, we beat this...

    good on ya guys, keep up the great work... oh and by the way, if you can, go out and buy yourself a treat, i remember when i was off the 'done, and on the subs, i saved a ton of money ( i was using illicit 'done not on a program so it cost me a fortune ) so i rewarded myself by gettin me some purple nikes, yup. just a silly wee thing like that, but a reward, coz i did well... you deserve the same...

    c o n g r a t u l a t i o n s

    good on ya

    cheeky
    Hey, thanks for the reply!

    It'll be a month tommorow, so always lookin forward from this point on. And you are so right about the emotional part of it. Within the first few days of withdrawal, i was laughing at such random things, crying at even more random things. Odd. Only real bad part of it that is getting on my nerves the most is that im very irritable. I live with my girlfriend, and I havent been treating her as respectfully as I normally did. I keep explaining it to her that its not her fault, and the little things I snap on her about is purely me. Any tips for that?

    And yeah, i spent $300 a month on the MMT. Iv allready saved and spent on a few things. Im an avid outdoorsman, so its awesome to re purchase the once pawned and traded gear I had done without second thought back i the day. Once again, thanks for your time.

    Dopesick

  20. #20
    Htownlove is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Cheeky, thanks so much for your words of wisdom and the encouragement.

    Dopesick, yeah I'm right behind you in clean days. I bet when you were at your sickest, you wouldn't of thought you would be this far huh? Congrats. About the irritability, I layed off the caffeine for a while cause it did that to me. Ill have a soda here and there but if I have too much I start to get manic lol. I hope all is well. Sarah.

  21. #21
    Dopesick420 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Hey sarah,

    Ill give that a try. My energy levels are still exteremely low, so I have been drinking more coffees and Redbull. So maybe ill give that a try. Todays 30 DAYS! I remember my last dose like it was yesterday. Man how time flies. I still feel like poop, but oh well. I was thinking of going to get some L-Tyrosine to see if that would help motivate me to do anything and help me get through work. We'll see how it goes. Im just praying im not one of the people that it takes 6 months to normalize again. I feel like a turtle. Totally lethargic, in pain all the time. Im not stopping though. Got this far. Anyways, congrats on your detox as well. take care

    dopesick


    Quote Originally Posted by Htownlove View Post
    Cheeky, thanks so much for your words of wisdom and the encouragement.

    Dopesick, yeah I'm right behind you in clean days. I bet when you were at your sickest, you wouldn't of thought you would be this far huh? Congrats. About the irritability, I layed off the caffeine for a while cause it did that to me. Ill have a soda here and there but if I have too much I start to get manic lol. I hope all is well. Sarah.

  22. #22
    FastFifty is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Dopesick,
    It blows my mind to hear you are working through Methadone withdrawal! You must be made of steel or something! I'm proud of ya! I have only been on Methadone for a few months, and from being on it, and finally off the dope, I am working a fulltime job for the first time in probably ten years at least. And what kills me, and what makes me wish I could kick it like you did, is the SWEAT. I sweat, like no other. I wonder what everyone else on the job site thinks I'm on. Cuz when I start workin, within an hour, my frickin clothes are SOAKED completely through. It's ridiculous. And I am blessed to live in Canada where my clinic fees run me $60 a month. And on top of that, if I want to I can go to the public clinic and there are no fees there. So I don't have that reason to need to kick it. For now, it's given me my life back so I'll probably stick with it for awhile. But I'm sure the day will come, and when it does, I'll be remembering your posts. You are a trooper and you oughta be damn proud of yourself.
    As for the irritability, I'm sure your woman understands that it isn't her fault. Just remind her when you can how much you lover her, I'm sure she is so proud of you and doesn't sweat it if you snap an offhand comment here or there. Geez you are WORKING thru METHADONE WITHDRAWAL. That is like, seriously, amazing. All the power to you. You made it through hell, it is definitely only going to get better from here on out!!

  23. #23
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    fastfifty, my clinic was free also, its not usually the money that makes people want to get off the methadone, theyre called liquid handcuffs for a reason... often, if you want to go away, you have to ask for takeaways, no just dropping everything and go. no more being spontaneous, that goes... also yeh the sweating....

    i found, after being on for a few years, (the first time) it took away my motivation, and stole my soul, slowly while i was not realizing... im glad it has done the trick, i needed it at the time, but i had no idea that i was gettin myself into the worst habit of my life,,,

    just know, the longer you stay on, the harder it is to get off. keep that in mind mate.

    cheeky

  24. #24
    Acey916 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Hey Dopesick420, I feel your pain as I am going through it as well. Hot baths are amazing!!!! As far as sleeping goes.... I found an OTC allergy med called Zyterc comes in a green bottle, I actually took 2 of those and that knocked me out. Worse than benadryl. I am no DR so I can not say it would work for you, but I would take a hot bath right as I took 2 of the Zyrtec night time allergy meds and then after the bath lay on my bed and I would fall alseep. Its been 2 weeks now, and I have been clean, I sleep normal now, but for the first week, I had Xanex too, but the Zyrtec actually worked better for me than the Xanax did. anyways it might help you, it might not, I am no DR so I do not know.

    RESTLESS LEGS: Okay this sounds wierd but it helped me too!!! With your legs CLINCH your calf muscles together in both legs as hard as you can and hold it for 30 seconds then let up, wait 30 seconds and do it again, It helped me sooooo much!!!! arms too. Hold your legs still as can be and clinch them (tighten up the muscles) and hold it, then relax, try it. I would do it for about 5 minutes every 30 seconds and that actually helped the restlessness as well.

    I am here for you bro!! I wish you the best of luck!!! You can beat this demon man, Methadone sucks. So does Suboxone but its better to live a sober clean life than a dirty one. Best of luck to you!

  25. #25
    Acey916 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Dopesick420 after the first 2 weeks you will feel better, then the PAWS start (post acute withdrawal symptoms) those last for another 2 weeks, (In most cases) so figure about 30 days, Im on day 15 now and I feel better, my energy is still gone, but its slowly coming back. BE STRONG MINDED, REmember our BRAINS are very powerful, dont let the mentals get you down!! Be strong and know that better days are coming soon. After about 30 days you will be feeling good again. Just be strong, we can beat this demon!! The first 2 weeks are the hardest to beat, after you make it past that just expect to be tired and know better days are coming.

  26. #26
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    actually most people dont get paws. what you are feeling acey is normal for opiate withdrawl,... paws often hits later, once you think you are in the clear.... but most people dont get that. its an urban myth....

  27. #27
    Acey916 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cheekysod View Post
    actually most people dont get paws. what you are feeling acey is normal for opiate withdrawl,... paws often hits later, once you think you are in the clear.... but most people dont get that. its an urban myth....
    hmmm... You could be right, I am going off what I learned in Psychology of the Mind related to Drugs and Alcohol, at Sierra College. The book I had to read for the course stated in it that normal WD symptoms last 7-10 days and anything after that is called P.A.W.S., and that can last up to 30 to 60 days. I just remember hearing that in class and then testing on it. But you could be right, I am sorry if I am giving people miss information on the topic, Like I said I am no DR but I am a Psychology major and just relating what I learned in Psych.

    Also they said that PAWS does not happen to everyone, but is a lot more common in people who have pro-longed use, like over a year's use of opiates. There are a lot of websites that state this information too. ANyways it doesnt really matter, all that matters is that we beat this demon and live a drug free life

  28. #28
    Htownlove is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Hey ds buddy, just checkin in on u. I'm 5 weeks clean today! Hurry up and post, can't wait to hear from you.

  29. #29
    Dopesick420 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Htownlove View Post
    Hey ds buddy, just checkin in on u. I'm 5 weeks clean today! Hurry up and post, can't wait to hear from you.
    Hey,

    Thanks for the concern.

    Idk. Im still struggling pretty bad. My physical symptoms came back over the last week, like it was the first week. Maybe PAWS or something. Been 6 weeks yesterday, still really bad diarrhea, insomnia, irratibility. So, im really bout had it to be honest. I dont know what to do. Im in pain all day, and have to work on my feet 6/7 days of the week. Its really tough. Probably not what you expected to hear. But idk. iv got no energy to even type this, as i had none when i went in to work at 5 today, and its now 4am. add zero energy to the work day, and i can barely type.

    but ya, thanks again. ttyl.

    dopesick

  30. #30
    Ken 09 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    19

    Default

    DS, Sorry to hear that you're still struggling. Ive been there and I feel you. Right about now you must be wondering if its going to last for ever and if you'll ever feel normal again. It wont, and you will. As you recall Ive experienced a similar situation while incarcerated. It was by far the worst detox i have ever gone through. It took six months for all the wd symptoms to dissipate. It may days, weeks, or even months for your h e l l to end but eventually it will. The goals in life that are hard earned are cherished the most and and harder lost. After this the thought of getting high wont be as attractive as it was in the past. I venture to say that very few (not me) could quit methadone ct and still go to work, let alone a physically demanding job. That in itself is an awe inspiring feat, again, Superman ????. Steel yourself bro and continue to fight hard. Embrace the pain, let it empower you and use it to finish this thing. Remember, it's going to end! Or to use the oft used but clichiac AA phrase, "this to shall pass." Hehe, love that one.

    I'm going out for Cod off of Stellwagen bank this weekend. No dope, no beer, just fish and the smell of the great Atlantic.

    Hang tough kid, Ken
    TRON and crazyclearwater like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22