• 2 Post By jeffklos
  • 2 Post By Sanchez0530
  • 2 Post By newyorkgal
  • 1 Post By Sanchez0530
  • 1 Post By Sanchez0530
  • 2 Post By newyorkgal
  • 1 Post By newyorkgal
  • 1 Post By newyorkgal
Cold Turkey Methadone Withdrawal..Please help!!!
    Sanchez0530 is offline Junior Member

Question Cold Turkey Methadone Withdrawal..Please help!!!

I fell into the methadone trap, never even used >>>>>> before. Not too long after I was exposed by a "friend" I was at a clinic 130mg daily. That's way too high, I'm a 105lb girl. This methadone is so addicting and my tlerance built it very rapidly to it. This "friend" who started this all actually turned out to be an ex con with a rap sheet that you couldn't imagine. I realized he was stealing from me so I confronted him and landed in the er that night with a broken nose and orbital from him punching me in the face. This occurred 2 weeks ago. Thank god he's currently locked up but I don't want this life anymore. I don't want to be a slave to methadone. Since I have no experience and really nobody to turn to since he was the only one who knew I was even taking this stuff I would really appreciate anyone letting me know what i'm in store for with this cold turkey withdrawal. I'm in severe pain with the injuries and emotionally cannot even believe this occurred. I want off this methadone addiction and have been free of use for 8 days now. You know the symptons, I have them all. I actually broke down feeling desperate today and got reinstated at my clinic. Walking back up to the counter to receive the medication I thought to myself " What am I doing"??? I have suffered for over a week now. I turned away knowing there's gotta be a better way than starting up again. I am feeling extremely depleted and losing weight very fast. I'm a tiny girl to begin with but this is getting scary. I am taking vitamins and trying to stay hydrated Please share any success stores or advice you may have on how I can free myself of this addiction and the withdrawal symptons. I don't want to switch to any other drugs. Also since I'm on day 8 what can I expect in the coming week or 2? I want to be able to care for my dog again, clean my house, cook, go to work, even shower for christ sake.

Thank you for any knowledge and experience you may have on how I can get thru this.

Anonymous Guest

are you able to go to a sub doctor and use them to taper with.? 130mg is pretty high to be going cold turkey mate, omg i can see why you are climbing the walls.

thats what i would suggest. subs are far easier to taper off.

how long you been on 130mg...?

8 days however is AWESOME. you could google the thomas recipe and go hard from there. it all depends on how long you have been using the methadone. that could make the difference if it wasnt long term.

i know about methadone, and subs. been on both for long periods.

I was on 130mg since March so 6 months. Honestly I really don't want anymore drugs in my body. I was at the clinic today to get reinstated, blood pressure was fine. I'm so glad I didn't take that dose today. I would have started this vicious cycle all over again and suffered for the past 8 days for nothing. I'm praying I start feeling better in another week. From your experience with methadone after 2 weeks, is the worst over? I know there will be residual emotional bs but I can deal with that. Not having energy to even clean my house or cook a meal or take care of my dog is what I want to be able to push through.
    Sunny mom and MP5 like this.

Anonymous Guest

to be honest i think it took about a month. mind you i was on it for 10 years or more.

more strength to you... keep going. like i said, antihistamines for the sneezing. the energy takes a while...
    Sanchez0530 and MP5 like this.

Anonymous Guest

Sanchez....
    how you doing?
    Have a lot of admiration for you.
    toni.s. likes this.

Hi Shadowwally. I'm definitely struggling with motivation. Yesterday was a complete s**t show. Walking back into that clinic and inches away from starting this constant chase for that euphoria high and is neverending and so so painful to get away from was a true testament that I do not want that life again. I now realize I have been negletting my friends and other responsibilities living in a mthadone haze. It's only day 9 but I have my ups and downs for sure. I can tell you I never thought I would be looking for encouragement from people online that don't even know me but it has definitely helped alot. I just have to keep reminding myself that each day is another victory and I'm closer than a lot of people can get. Everyone keeps telling me suboxone but even though I don't know much about it I feel it's just gonna cause another addiction with more painful withdrawals to come. I've made up my mind this time and I'm sticking to it. I'm not proud of myself for having to take xanax to sleep right now but I know without sleep I wouldn't have lost my mind by now and taking it very responsibly only at night. From my research I think I have about 5 more days of physical withdrawal and then mental...but really when does one not have some type of mental anguish, especially since I'm dealing with my busted face, lawyers, court appearances. Finally this person and drug is out of my life, things are going to get better and justice for men who beat on woman will prevail. Thanks for the encouragement!!
    toni.s. and Comeback Kid like this.

Anonymous Guest

Wow...
    I think you're great!
    You just have a fight on your hands with your decision....treat the symptoms.
    I can understand just wanting to get done with it.
    Just keep taking care of yourself then,
    drink lots of fluids, try to eat well...
    exercise (which right now means anything at all) and
    keep posting.
    Good for you!

toni.s. is offline Senior Member

i couldn't believe that you were a female at first..
    just because u said that this guy had punched u in the face.

aww.i just felt so badly when i read that u were female..and how tiny u were!

i can relate though. went through something similar in my teen years.
    3 yr boyfriend.
    funny enough..he was an addict..at the time i wasn't.
    one day just beat the crp outta me cuz i was fed up with it and was gonna leave.
    like that was gonna make me stay?!

anyways..doesn't matter.
    just want u to know that ur not alone.
    ur actually an incredible role model for anyone going through the same thing.
    and i consider u extremely strong for pressing charges.

that was something i wasn't strong enough to do..
    and also something i always regretted.
    ..i just wanted to get away (run away?) from the whole thing i guess..

anyways..i think ur doing just amazing!
    ur strength and courage just leaves me in awe.
    keep moving forward..
    and don't ever lose that fight.

what's kinda funny actually..
    is that once u get through this too..
    u'll have EVEN MORE strength and confidence than u had before.
    if that's possible? lol

i'm really proud of u.
    ur an incredible example of what will power can do.

oh. and don't worry about needing the xananx RIGHT NOW.
    i'm somebody who is always extremely opposed to ppl using benzos..
    personal issues with them..
    but after jumping at such a high dose..
    and aslong as ur closely monitoring ur use..
    and u stop taking them relatively soon... it's already been about a wk, right?..
    then i think u'll be fine.

but i know that u were talking about not wanting to get addicted to another drug..
    and it's inevitable if u use the xanax for too long.
    so just a heads up..

the thomas recipe suggests melatonin for sleep. (if u want to switch to a non-narcotic. i use it..and it helps me tremendously.) and L-tyrosine and B6 for energy. also..stay hydrated! and take a multi-vitamin. --all of this will help! i'm a big advocate of exercise too..to get ur body back in shape. i had to start off with short walks. eventually it became running--helps produce those endorphins too, and that'll help with the emotional side. just some suggestions.

anyways..keep moving forward.
    just want u to know that u have me in your corner too.
    ohithurts likes this.

jeffklos is offline New Member

You are doing what you need to do. Hang in there and you will be able to do all the things you once did real soon trust me. I was on roxys oxys delatats(shooting) for 2 years everyday and then went on suboxone for 3 months and just stopped taking everything on this past Saturday. It has been hell and I had to even go to the ER and they put me on ativan and gave me a script for Xanax and it is helping so much. I have been walking my dog every morning and every evening. I see you have a dog as well and that helps. Stop caffine and cigarettes if you smoke. Im telling you keep the faith and all that ???? will eventually get out of your system. Dont take anything. Taking baths helps with bath salts. Also google the Thomas recipe. I know what you are going through but I am here to tell you there is sun at the end of you hell and it is beautiful trust me. I saw it this morning for the first time in 5 years and it felt great. You will be ok and the same old you real soon. Occupy your time by trying to keep busy.
    ohithurts and iloerose like this.

Yeah it's funny now because everyone I know mentioned they always thought he looked like a bad person and he was. He is a convicted felon and being charged with more than assault, dumb ass had my credit card in his wallet when arrested. Meanwhile I've been reporting fraud for months now. I hope he does a lot of jail time for what he did, if not he'll deal with my father when get gets out, waaaaaaaaaay worse.

Anyway as far as the methadone goes, I really didn't know how powerful that stuff way. I never used >>>>>> and he was the one supplying it to me in the beginnin before I had to go to a clininc for a daily dose. I'm staying positive, I think that's a battle in itself, taking vitamins and baths and even eating now. Last night I was dancing around my apartment and doing exercises on the floor to get the muscles moving again. It really all is based on determination.

I do know it's a battle against Methadone but also a battle again woman beaters and that makes me sick. I will not allow him to get away with this and have to be strong to fight him in court so I'll do what I have to do to prevail. Thanks of your support!!!
    MP5 and toni.s. like this.

newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

I blame the program to a great extent. Why are the giving a tiny girl who NEVER used >>>>>> 135 mg. a day of methadone? When I first got on methadone (way back in the old days lol), you had to prove >>>>>> nose and needle use. Good news is that 6 months really is not a long time to be on meth in the grand scheme of things and you seem a lot better. Just keep it up. Had i spoken to you in the beginning, I'd have said NEVER stop at such a high dose, but you did it, you seem to be succeeding, so keep up the good work.
    toni.s. and ohithurts like this.

Yeah, I think 130mg was ridiculous. And then when I went to them yesterday I actually had to argue with them explaining I want off completely but on a taper so the withdrawals aren't so terrible they went into the blah, blah, blah about well after 12 clean urines they will start taking me down 5mg every 2 weeks. I would have been there another year no doubt. Honestly it may not be the clinics fault though, they see so many people claiming they want to be clean but really dont so they just follow their typical protocol. Especially here in nyc where clincs are closing and the remaining ones are over saturated. Either way I know I made the right choice and praying each day gets better and I get back to the old me, whoever that is!!!

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Sanchez,

So you are going to keep going c/t? Hang Tough! That's a heck of a leap, as I told you before. How are you feeling today? Hope you're "goin' hard" as Cheeky says.

Peace,

Iloerose

Hi Iloerose. I am not caving into this at all. I actually went to the grocery, making a meal, went for a long walk, cleaned my house. I'm just taking vitamins and drinking water, try to eat alot of bananas for potassium, I heard it helps with the leg cramps. Honestly I'm still waiting for the storm to hit but it just isn't for some reason. Yes, it's been very uncomfotable but nothing that anyone who has strong will can't get past. I'm not saying tomorrow I won't be crying in pain but it's going on day 9 now, straight off 130mg. I'm feel pretty good, especially considering some jerk punched me in the face breaking my nose and orbital bones. If I can get through this truthfully anyone can because I am an addict just like everyone else, the only difference this time is I really don't want to be one anymore so I'm not. And I can definitely confirm the longer you sit around feeling horrible the worse it gets. Just force yourself to shower, look good, eat right and know a better life is a few days away!!
    MP5 likes this.

Oh and by the way, Vitamin B12 has been a significant help with my energy. I noticed the difference immediately. Take a multi vitamin plus a B12. Promise it will help!!!

Big, Huge Mistake. So I've been through hell with this cold turkey withdrawal but made the biggest mistake yesterday. My friends are no angels but haven't had any experience with methadone so their understanding of what I'm going through right now is limited. My good friend just broke up with her boyfriend, needed a place to stay, cry, blah blah blah. She asked if she could stay with me for the night. I told her I was going thru methadone withdrawal but I don't think she got it. I felt sorry for her crying on the phone and invited her over. She shows up with 3 bottles of wine. She was like "come on I'm suffering just have a drink with me". That drink turned into 4 with me passing out and the wine spilling all over my bed. I haven't drank in months, the methadone really blocked my desire for any other drugs or alcohol. Well my friends, needless to say now I feel real bad. The dehydration from the alcohol made my back pain and RLS 10 times worse plus now I have zero motivation to move. This post is solely to advise others to stay away from alcohol during your methadone withdrawal. It was the worst mistake I made and think it set me back a few days!! I was completely useless today and was very disappointed in myself. NO ALCOHOL DURING DETOX!!!
    Last edited by ddcmod; 08-30-2012 at 08:19 PM.

Drink plenty of water and flush that stuff out of your system. Gatorade will help the RLS or hyland's restful leg. Get some pottasium in yourself: banannas. Eat some good protein like some eggs or tunafish. Baby yourself. You've been so positive and pushing yourself. Don't be so hard on yourself S happens. Yeah, it could have been worse and you know it: relapse also happens. But you're tough, so just HANG TOUGH, cut yourself some slack and do what you can: take a hot bath, a bit of a walk if you can manage it. You're going to get through this! Watch a good movie. But cut yourself some SLACK! Take care of you and let the guilt go somewhere else

Peace,

Iloerose

Thanks Iloerose. Unfortunately these things are going to happen sometimes but it definitely put into perspective that maintaining as much of a clean and healthy life is necessary to get our bodies through this withdrawal process. I'm just going to have some more will power when it comes to other indulgences. Day 1 is approching so I'm praying the worst is over now. Thanks for the supportive words
    MP5 likes this.

Day 10 cold turkey methadone free, almost there. Alcohol was a huge setback along with a huge bout of depression from the hangover. Bad idea. Oh well, another day, another triumph.

Good News though, the A**hole who punched me in the face had an arraignment today. Nothing really happened although the case was adjourned to Nov. 22. He has no way of posting bail so as least I know for another 3 months he's not free to hurt anyone else.!!

[deleted - swearing]
    Last edited by ddcmod; 08-31-2012 at 03:46 PM.

you are amazing, sanchez.... i am from NYC also by the way. Been on so many programs it's not funny - 40 years worth, mostly all in Queens. Back to the main thing. We all make mistakes. I could have told you drinking is the worst thing when kicking I think and dangerous too. I have seen too many people substitute alcohol for methadone so it's a good idea to stay away totally.... I got of meth by getting on subutex... I got of sub to have surgery and back on meth (but 5 mgs. a day, not a lot)... I don't have your will power or determination or whatever. Right now I'm kind of sick so I'm giving myself a break but I just wanna tell you, you are doing great. That idiot who beat you..... hope he rots where he is.

Guys, the support from everyone has been amazing. I need HELP NOW though. Yes, I definitely had a rough road but I made it through methadone withdrawal cold turkey from 130mg. I don't know if what just occurred to me this weekend makes me want to laugh or cry... well cry is probably what I'm doing. I fought so hard to overcome this methadone/opiate addiction. It wasn't easy but I wanted out and I finally started feeling pretty great after about 17 days this past Thursday. It was a beautiful day here in NY on Friday so I decided to treat myself and my dog with a great day at the beach. We were running around, jumping in the water, no anxiety or depression lingering. I knew I was done with withdrawal and opiate addiction at that point.

This leads me to the beginning of another possible demise!!! As they say "out with the old, in with the new." I decided I wanted to redecorate my apartment, sort of just another fresh start. I purchased a few items along with 2 paint cans at Home Depot. I felt so energetic and excited I immed started painting my bedroom. Well....after 5 straight hours of moving furniture, taping walls and painting I was almost done. I looked around and noticed a few paint stains on the ceiling so I got back on my ladder. Next thing I know I fall straight on my face and shoulder 10 feet on a hard floor. The ladder fell backwards. I called 911 cause I couldn't move. Long story short now I have a broken collar bone and require surgery. The pain is unbelievable. Soooo, here I go again. What are they giving me??? Morphine shots and now oxycotin for the pain. They sent me home until surgery is scheduled. Because I'm an opiate addict you know the normal dosage is not helping with the pain. I'm almost done with my bottle that was supposed to last until Thursday. Great job! I'm so afraid of becoming addicted again. I feel ike this is a big joke with someone saying "you can run but you can't hide"!!! Even the Oxy's really aren't helping. I know for sure I don't want to take Methadone again but does anyone have pain pill suggestions. I didn't fight this hard to fall back into an opiate addiction again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. So in summary, since starting Methadone withdrawal less than a month ago I have suffered a fractured nose, fractured orbital and broken collarbone. Is this a joke??

Guys, the support from everyone has been amazing. I need HELP NOW though. Yes, I definitely had a rough road but I made it through methadone withdrawal cold turkey from 130mg. I don't know if what just occurred to me this weekend makes me want to laugh or cry... well cry is probably what I'm doing. I fought so hard to overcome this methadone/opiate addiction. It wasn't easy but I wanted out and I finally started feeling pretty great after about 17 days this past Thursday. It was a beautiful day here in NY on Friday so I decided to treat myself and my dog with a great day at the beach. We were running around, jumping in the water, no anxiety or depression lingering. I knew I was done with withdrawal and opiate addiction at that point.

This leads me to the beginning of another possible demise!!! As they say "out with the old, in with the new." I decided I wanted to redecorate my apartment, sort of just another fresh start. I purchased a few items along with 2 paint cans at Home Depot. I felt so energetic and excited I immed started painting my bedroom. Well....after 5 straight hours of moving furniture, taping walls and painting I was almost done. I looked around and noticed a few paint stains on the ceiling so I got back on my ladder. Next thing I know I fall straight on my face and shoulder 10 feet on a hard floor. The ladder fell backwards. I called 911 cause I couldn't move. Long story short now I have a broken collar bone and require surgery. The pain is unbelievable. Soooo, here I go again. What are they giving me??? Morphine shots and now oxycotin for the pain. They sent me home until surgery is scheduled. Because I'm an opiate addict you know the normal dosage is not helping with the pain. I'm almost done with my bottle that was supposed to last until Thursday. Great job! I'm so afraid of becoming addicted again. I feel ike this is a big joke with someone saying "you can run but you can't hide"!!! Even the Oxy's really aren't helping. I know for sure I don't want to take Methadone again but does anyone have pain pill suggestions. I didn't fight this hard to fall back into an opiate addiction again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. So in summary, since starting Methadone withdrawal less than a month ago I have suffered a fractured nose, fractured orbital and broken collarbone. Is this a joke??

suboxsucks is offline New Member

Default Suboxone is the DEVIL!

So.. Here I am on day 2 with no Suboxone and they say that it is much like methadone withdrawals. I have been doing this vicious cycle now for 10 years and I am only 25. So I moved far away where I have NO access to ANYTHING at all to get me thru the withdrawals of suboxone. I found this method called the Thomas Recipe and tried it minus the benzos and IT REALLY HELPS! I had NO motivation AT ALL until I finally broke down and started researching topics to see if there was anything at all I could do for the withdrawals. I had NO sleep at all last night and I am a single parent who still had to get up this morning and get my child to school. So I went and bought some potassium and immodium. Believe it or not, I actually went for a run this morning and IT HELPED! You all know how hard it is to get motivation but I made myself do it! Afterwards I came home and layed in the tub for about an hour which HELPS! I am sitting here reading all the posts and it gives me more motivation to keep trying to stay clean. Suboxone did nothing but pro-long the withdrawal and since its shelf life is like forever and a day it stays in your system longer. I just hope to be able to get thru this week and I know I will be able to feel better. Sorry if this is in the wrong place I am new to this all! Thanks for reading and if anyone else has any suggestions please do let me know!

suboxsucks is offline New Member

So now is day 4 with no sub and I still haven't got any good sleep at ALL! Nothing seems to help, melatonin like a lot of it at that.. or any other OTC sleep aid.. i feel great today no cold chills yet, and the potassium is helping for sure with the muscle aches in the daytime but not at night.. Why is it I am fine all day and then Sh*tty at night? I plan to continue my detox and stay sober and this forum has really helped me with this horrible time knowing that others feel my pain. Keep on everyone and good luck on the sober road!

subsucks, night is always the worst, I don't know why. You can take a hot shower or bath. Don't know why but that helps immensely. Drink some sleepy time tea. Don't lay in bed tossing and turning. Get up, watch a movie, go on the computer, read a book.... Whatever.... Soon the nights will catch up with the days and you'll be feeling okay.
    winged eagle likes this.

Sanchez, my opinion and mine only...... If the pain is that bad, you have to go with the pain med. If you can do without fine, if the pain is too much take what you have too minus methadone which doesn't help short term pain anyway then worry after surgery. I'm a 40 year addict. I just had major surgery. They started me with dilaudid on a pump to dilaudid shots to percs... I went back 2x for emergencies so stayed on all those meds for weeks. I took exactly what was perscribed, not one pill more. I did not want to use any addict behaviors. After about 6 weeks I just cut down and stopped. Now because I'm a 40 year methadone addict and I'm really not feeling well at all due to various complications, I couldn't do it all so ended up on 5 mg. 1x a day methadone. I could go up to 40 or 80 or more in a heartbeat but I don't want to. I'm so done with it all but getting rid of the 5 is something I'll deal with one way or the other. If over the counter pain meds won't work, there is no answer anyone can give you about what to do but take the prescribed meds and worry about stopping when surgery is done and you're feeling better. If you kicked 135 mg. methadone, stopping percs should be a breeze.
    Sanchez0530 likes this.

[deleted - swearing]
    Last edited by ddcmod; 09-17-2012 at 10:24 PM.