Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Cold Turkey Hydrocodone
    Anonymous Guest

Unhappy Cold Turkey Hydrocodone

I am trying to stop ct from Hydrocodone. I am a light user as some go on this site. But a user is a user. I have been off and mostly on Hydrocodone since 2005. I have always been able to maintain my pain with 10 to 15 mg and once in a while 20 mgs. per day. Every now and then I quit for a few weeks so as to not build up a tolerance. But trust me I already notice there is no buzz anymore just pain reliefe. Not complaining , just saying. Thank God it relieves my pain which is why I keep going back on Hydrocodone. Before anyone suggest other methods, I have tried everything . I have older posts on here explaining that. I am 32 hours into cold turkey and must admit, not all too bad yet. My hip pain has crept back in and kept me up some last night. I took a half of a .5 mg. xanax to help sleep. Iam sure I will have trouble sleeping tonight, so will take up to .5 mg.xanax again. Sorry for going on like this but it helps to verbalize my feelings as I am single and live alone. ANY HELP OR CRITICISM WILL BE APPRECIATED.

yezdegerd is offline Senior Member

Hydrocodone withdrawal is the easier detox as far as opiates go, not factoring in age, illness dvr however. I've done roughly 10 ct hydro detoxes and the second night was always my hardest but physically it got better everyday after that. Try a hot bath right before bed to relax your muscles and a sleep aid. Drink lots of fluids and get as much exercise in as you can. Good luck to you

Anonymous Guest

I know I will be feeling pretty bad here soon as I have done this before. Right now it is total lack of ambition and energy. Some anxiety also. I am useing the Thomas recipe with Xanax . But only .5 mg.xanax to help sleep at night. I am tempted to take half of a .5 mg. xanax right now just to go to sleep and avoid feeling the way I do. But i dont like to do taht now as it is the middle of the day and I want to sleep tonight. This is so hard and I admire those of you here that seem to be so strong.

Anonymous Guest

Thanks Yezdegerd for the quick reply. I am 62 yrs old but in pretty good shape for an old geezer. But i have been needing these pain pills for a long time and even though the dose of 1o to 20 mgs/ daily is small , it is over a long duration. My body doesnt like it when I deprive it of Hydrocodone. I wish I could be strong enough to stay off them but it is hard to stay away when they make me pain free. Living in pain is a bummer as many here know.

Denny_D is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by flatsman444 View Post
    Thanks Yezdegerd for the quick reply. I am 62 yrs old but in pretty good shape for an old geezer. But i have been needing these pain pills for a long time and even though the dose of 1o to 20 mgs/ daily is small , it is over a long duration. My body doesnt like it when I deprive it of Hydrocodone. I wish I could be strong enough to stay off them but it is hard to stay away when they make me pain free. Living in pain is a bummer as many here know.
    One of the toughest parts of any addiction is the cravings that demand our attention. Our bodies and mind crave more of the drug, whatever it is. You are on a very small dose of Hydrocodone as you know. This is the perfect time to just say enough of this.

I know it's easier said than done I know how the pain says it's ok to take more hydro. You will not be in a better position to quit than you are now. Just wanted you to know that I am here for support. I've been there. In pain now and not quite sure what to do. I'm with you.....Denny

mottam is offline Advanced Member

flats444:
    Listen, you can get through hydro c/t by doing exactly what you are doing.
    Getting of the opiates is actually an easy formula - just do not use them again.
    You will feel better (from w/d anyway) in a few days. If you have ANY doubts - talk w/ your doc. It is always good to keep your Dr. in the loop. I did. Sometimes things surface when you stop using - regardless of the opiate and amounts.

The problem is that you have 2 issues you are dealing with (from your first post):
    You use them for pain relief. OK - understood. However, the comment “I already notice there is no buzz anymore" is indicative of more than just a pain medication user.
    Get through the w/d - that will address the physical dependency. But what are you planning on doing to address your pain issues? Can't use another opiate. Definitely do not want to "graduate" to a higher level (oxys).
    How about the fact you will not be going through days w/o the buzz anymore? You are going to see that, believe it or not, not being buzzed is in itself a HUGE life changing event. Better get prepared to deal with that... even at age 62 - at any age.

Best of luck!

Kindest Regards
    mottam
    Persistency is consistency

MetalDuckMFC is offline Senior Member

From the "no buzz" statement, it appears that you DO use for pleasure, as well as pain release. Even if it is subconscious. I recommend an after care program
    NA, AA, or even continuing to post on the boards even when you are through your detox. You need to learn how to live without the pills, or your relapse chance is MUCH higher.

How you feeling as of now? I hope it's getting easier for you.

Anonymous Guest

Thanks Denny, Metal Duck , and Mottam. I really dont believe I use them for the buzz. I cant help it that narcoics do give a buzz. I usuall break the 10 mg. tab in half and use it that way. Trying to stay at no more than 15 mg./ daily. once in I while I go to 20 mg. / Daily. But almost always at 5mg. per dose. So help me out here, thats hardly useing for pleasure. I have been maintaining this type of usage since 2005. Not criticizing people here , but its hard to not take at this dose whwn it gives me pain free life versus a pain level of 6 or 7 on a constant basis. Believe me I would love not to take any narcotics. I have tried many times and the pain wins over every time. Belioeve me I know the addictive qualities of thes little pills. Now enough of my rants. I am at 48 hrs since my last dose and wouldnt want to be around a lot of people or at a party. But I am holding my own. I took a walk in 95 degree heat just to get the endorphines going. I will try real hard not to go back to the Lortab as I dont like needing them to get by day to day. It would be easier if the pain would go away after the withdrawal goes away. But thats not reality. Need all the encouragement from all the good people on this site. Robert and Melinda have given me encouragement befor and it meant a lot as I know how much they help others. Heck, everone on this site is trying to help someone else. Peace and Love to all. By the way I have tried many non narcotic Rx drugs, Several forms of Chiropractic medicine. Cortisone injections , you name it . But so far 5 mg. of Hydrocodone three times a day keeps me almost pain free. All your suggestions are welcome.

LongHaul is offline Member

flatsman444, you might be surprised. I was taking tramadol for osteoathritis and DDD in the lower lumbar. For the first week after I stopped using, I thought the pain would cause me to use again. Surprisingly, the longer I've been off the meds, the less the pain seems. I use motrin for pain now and so far, it seems to help.

I think the pain meds take away our body's natural ability to ease pain. Everyone is different, but hopefully, it will be that way for you as well.
    shrimpboat 1942 likes this.

Every now and then I quit for a few weeks so as to not build up a tolerance.
    Flatsman....I was just wondering what you do for pain control when you stop the Hydrocodone for a few weeks. I believe this is a great idea to keep from building up the dependence. I was never able to do this.

Almost everyone I know personally, including myself, if they were on Hydro since 2005 as you have been, would definately be addicted, and taking them for pleasure. And the amount of medication taken would be so much more than you are taking!

I also believe Longhaul is correct but it does depend on how much and what kind of pain the person is in. Best wishes to you and hoping and praying that you get this figured out real soon.......Denny

MetalDuckMFC is offline Senior Member

Excedrin works WONDERS. And itcan be your mind causing pain. A lot of the time, far after the pain has gone, the mind will subconsciously create pain to keep you pumping drugs into your body. Try to some clean time, THEN assess your pain level.

Anonymous Guest

Man , thats what i like about this site. Thaks for all the good advice. I am 65 hours into cold turkey and last night was rough. I had to take 1.5 mg. of xanax . I broke the pill in half and used .25 mg. no relief . Another .25mg got up watched tv and was over all anxious and achey. Lots of shooting pains. Took the third dose of ,25 xanax and got 4 hours of sleep. This morning I took 2000 mg. of L-Tyrosene on an empty stomach. I will take advil as prescribed to help with the pain. My pain can sometimes be managed with Motrin, advil etc. But when I want to golf , kayak, swim , hike or cut grass anything fairly physical, it doesnt give me the reliefr to enjoy these activities. NOW HERE IS THE OTHER PART. I do believe I am mildly depressed most of the time. I have been on many different anti-depressants through the years. These darn Lortabs are a double edge sword . They relieve my pain and SEEM to help with the depression. I could stop the Low level usage of Lortab and suffer with the level 6 pain and take an anti-depressant . We all know here anti-depressants are not a free ride either. Its all the ???? of finding one that works , then regulate the dosage , then deal with all the side affects. This can take months. Now the argument for Lortab. I have maintained a usage of 10 to 15 mgs. / daily since 2005. Usually only takeing a half pill/5mgs. at a time. That relieves my pain almost completely and helps with the down feeling I seem to be in when I quit the Lortab. Some of the down feeling is probably from quitting the Lortab. But I took anti depressants long befor I even knew what a Lortab was. So I think there is a two fold issue here. PAIN AND MILD DEPRESSION. i once was in therapy with a Psychologist for over a year and a half. Nervous breakdown the whole bit. That was way back in 1981 and I am way over that now. But still feel muted or somewhat down . Then came the injury to my hips and elbows---- enter Lortab. The seemingly miracle drug taht controls my mild deppresion and keeps me almost pain free from an othewise constant level 6. SO HERE IS MY QUESTION FOR ALL THE SMART AND HELPFUL PEOPLE HERE. Do I stop the 10 to 15 mg. / daily use of Lortab deal with constant level 6 pain and start back down the road of finding an anti-depressant that works and gain all that weight etc. I want so much not to need any drug , buy Im not sure that is realistic. Sorry to go on and on but its complicated in my case. I am into day three and feel depressed a little and low on incentive. I hope tonight will be better. I thinks its much harder for those of us that ive alone and must go through this alone. Pleas offer up any and all thoughts, ideas , encouragement, and of course criticism.

Anonymous Guest

Hey Longhaul, just wondering , how long did it take for you to get your energy level back when you stopped? The pain is something I understand but the mild depression gets me down even worse. Then makes me think, WHY BE IN PAIN AND DEPRESSED TOO. Even when I quit the Lortab and accept the pain, then I have to learn to accept the depression too. Wow just too much to think about . I hope I get through just one more day , then the next etc.

Anonymous Guest

I have a question about L-tyrosine and the Thomas Recipe. It says here on this site to take 2000mg on an empty stomach. I have founf other info on the internet calling thes doses dangerous. I took 2000mg and have no problems. Would like some feed back.

Then came the injury to my hips and elbows---- enter Lortab. The seemingly miracle drug taht controls my mild deppresion and keeps me almost pain free from an othewise constant level 6. SO HERE IS MY QUESTION FOR ALL THE SMART AND HELPFUL PEOPLE HERE. Do I stop the 10 to 15 mg. / daily use of Lortab deal with constant level 6 pain and start back down the road of finding an anti-depressant that works and gain all that weight etc. I want so much not to need any drug , buy Im not sure that is realistic.
    Flatsman.....I don't claim to be very smart but I do hope to be helpful on occasion. I am just about 1 week clean from a 35 year addiction to narcotics. I chose Suboxone to help me. I was a professional athlete for a short time. Have had 20 knee surgeries. My left knee has been totaly replaced 5 times due to staff infection and hardware breaking. My pain is in the 5-6 range constantly. I know exactly what you are talking about.

What the Lortab does is keep the pain down and give you a buzz at the same time. This "buzz" keeps your depression in check. When you stop the Lortab, the pain returns and the buzz stops, and you are more aware of the depression. You really do understand all of this. As I stated before, your being able to take only 5-20mg of Lortab daily since 2005 is remarkable.

So to answer your question...and I can't believe I'm saying this, is to keep taking the Lortab as you are now. Of course this is only my opinion and others may, and probably will not agree. But if you can control the amount you are taking now as you are doing, then I believe the Lortab will control your pain and keep your depression under control as well.

You are a very rare patient and your Doctor knows that you take your medication as directed! Kudo's to you! Please remember that this is only MY opinion. Best wishes to you and I hope you find the answers that you deserve......Denny
    Last edited by Denny_D; 07-22-2011 at 04:33 PM.

cryin out is offline Member

I am wondering why you are stopping anyway since you already feel you have a handle on your usage. Are you trying to see how your body will react after stopping? Maybe i missed this in another of your posts. I have three kids whirling around me interupting my reading every 5 seconds.. I kinda agree with denny. Yiu are in control of your usage and it enables you to enjoy physical activities. I am proud of you alone for that!!! And definately admire you for c/t. I hope you rest well tonite and keep on posting

Anonymous Guest

Thanks Denny and Crying out for your input. Yes I have always been able to control my usage. It keeps me a little happier and positive about life and also removes my pain Almost completly. But being a control freak it bothers me to need a drug to live a normal life. Guess its a trade off. Give up some of the control in order to feel ok. For now my plan is to stay clean for as long as I can . At least a couple of weeks to clean out my system . Then I will re evaluate my pain and mental status. I am in day 4 and its not too bad. The worst part is sleep. I get that restless feeling in my elbows and hip area. But thats also where my problems are so it may just be the pain . When I take the Lortab it is ususally never later than 4 pm for my last 5 mg. dose. So it could be the reason I sleep when I am takeing the Lortab is taht it relieves the pain so I sleep well. Because when i stop, my sleep suffers and its mostly from what I figyre is the RLS , but heck it might just be old fashion pain creeping back in. But I stayed clean once for 60 days and my sleep seemed to ok but not as good as when I take the 15mg/ daily Lortab at 5mg. doses. I have heard others here say that Hydrocodone seems to have an antidpressant quality. The problem seems to be dependance and addiction. I really do belive I am not addicted but I do depend on it. My w/d is manageable but hard nonbr the less, I will go as long as I can clean and the if I have to I will try 10 mg./ daily . doing that at 5 mg. twice daily. That will be 5 mg. less than I was doing. Im thinking if I have to do this forever , I dont want to need more and more to get relief. Thus that is why I stop every 6 to 8 months or so. I have had two different Drs tell me that this is a good plan going forward. They both know I didnt abuse the pills. My script read 1/2 to one 10 mg.tab as need every 6 to 8 hours. So at minimum I could take 30mg/ daily , but on avg. I take 15mg/ daily. Since I have been able to do this since 2005 the Dr. seems to trust me, But if I had my choice I would like to be drug free. Maybe that just cant happen for me . 62 years old and the aches and pains of life take a toll. But I love the outdoors and wouldnt enjoy life if I was in severe pain all the time. Keep the comments comeing. Please I need to hear them as I struggle with this issue alot.

Anonymous Guest

Help Help Help. I am 4 hours away from 4 days CT. I am so anxious and feel so much like takeing just a half a pill for some energy and initiayve. The pain is bearable but the complete zap of energy is depressing the heck out of me. I need to go at least 3 or 4 weeks without any Lortab. I have tried to sleep but bannot . I took 1 tablet .5mg. Alprazolam/ xanax but here I am on the forum. What can I do?? I need someone to give me hope.

Help Help Help. I am 4 hours away from 4 days CT. I am so anxious and feel so much like takeing just a half a pill for some energy and initiayve. The pain is bearable but the complete zap of energy is depressing the heck out of me. I need to go at least 3 or 4 weeks without any Lortab. I have tried to sleep but bannot . I took 1 tablet .5mg. Alprazolam/ xanax but here I am on the forum. What can I do?? I need someone to give me hope.
    Go ahead and take your Lortab. The pain will probably return soon so I believe it's better to head it off now. This should help with your sleep also.

You said earlier that you wanted to go a couple of weeks to "clean out your system". Now you want to go 3-4 weeks. Why the change?
    Hang in there............Denny

Anonymous Guest

Hi again Denny, thanks for your response. It helps to know yournot alone, I know my habit isnt as bad as a lot of folks here but its hard . I guess I want to go as long as I can so as to not build up too much tolerance. But Im not sure its worth it. Last night was the hardest night so far, I had to take 1.5 mg xanax and still could not sleep due to pain in arms and lega. Im not sure what rls is so maybe what I am feeling is the return of my pain. At 2 am I finally just gave up I couldnt take the anxiety. So I took a hot bath and went back to bed. Might have got 2 to 3 hrs sleep. I am used to 8 hrs minimum, This is the start of day 5 ct. I need encouragement if I am going to make it. Its so hard to decide. Tommorow I have a date with a woman and its a first date. There is NO WAY I can pull that off in my condition. I hate to blow her off since its the first date . I was hopeing to feel well enough for me to go. But Now I remember it seems like the first two days of ct for me are the easiest. Its the next week after that when the depression and total lack of sleep and energy kick in. That kasts for about 10 days , then Im just mildly depressed with a pain level that wears me out by days end. So if it were not for worry of building up a tolerance to where my low dose useage wont work . I would never put myself through this. Even as I sit here typeing this I am totally unable to go out and live my normal life. Too many aches and not enough happiness to enjoy anything. What a mess. I appreciate your support and wish More folks would have ideas and or encouragment. Come on Henry , Melinda , Robert. I know you guys are super busy , but I really need ideas and help. Thanks so much to those of you that have jumped in to offer up help. I live alone and am going through this alone.

Tommorow I have a date with a woman and its a first date. There is NO WAY I can pull that off in my condition. I hate to blow her off since its the first date . I was hopeing to feel well enough for me to go. Come on Henry , Melinda , Robert. I know you guys are super busy , but I really need ideas and help. Thanks so much to those of you that have jumped in to offer up help. I live alone and am going through this alone.
    flatsman......Please go on your date. It's important for you to have some companionship at this time. I really believe, given the circumstances, that you should take a dose of the Lortab. You know how to handle it. You take it as directed by your doctor. I understand the desire for you to be in control and not the medication.

You said in an earlier post that it bothers you to need a drug to live a normal life. Well what about people with for instance, high blood pressure. They take meds to keep it normal. Not the same as narcotics but you get the point. Many other examples as well.

I'm sure others will jump in when they are able and offer their opinions. For now that is the best that I can do. Best wishes and God Bless......Denny

HenryNCBA is offline Advanced Member

Hello Flatman444,
    I read your post on Seasthedays thread and am responding. Just as FYI if you have been following her thread she is traveling right now but we are in contact and she is doing wonderfully on her taper.

I read through your history and I would first like to say that it really doesn’t matter whether you take 20 mgs or 2 mgs or 200 mgs a user is a user and if you become hooked on opiates you are hooked regardless of the quantity. This isn’t about us addicts beating our chests like we all used to do when we were teens bragging about who could drink more beer than the other. In fact I freely admit that one beer sent me out to lunch! LOL! The euphoria you stated you love so much is very normal to feel when consuming opiates. Our minds, endocrine system and personalities all play roles in the balance of endorphins in our system as Caught Again/Reid had stated to you but the difference is that with our natural endorphin production it is catered exactly to what our systems requests from it. It gives it just enough then holds off production until more is needed. Now if we take then synthetically or an outside source, e.g. opiate pain pills or what ever, if not enough is introduced into the system we start withdrawal cravings and too much taken makes a person feel high and even more taken can have very negative effects in essence an overdose as more than what the system can handle is introduced and the body and mind can not handle it. That said it may be that your system is just one that doesn’t need a lot to get it going which is actually a good thing. Now on the flip side of the good thing about the bad thing is that does not necessarily mean it makes it that much easier to come off of. Each individual’s tolerance levels and responses to things vary and can vary greatly. What you feel during withdrawal is not any less than what a person that takes 10 times the amount you do feels. Each will suffer regardless so must be addressed accordingly.

Moving forward we each address withdrawals differently. Many will fear and complain about the physical symptoms while others could care less about the physical but panic about the mental aspect of withdrawal. By mental I mean the depression, super anxiety, loneliness, crying for no reason, feelings of being hollow, and lack of energy and so on. You had stated you are going out on a first date with someone while in withdrawal. I can’t tell you what to do but I always recommend to others that it would be best to put off dating at least until a couple months of clean time is under ones belt so they can focus on what is at hand. Last thing a person that is trying to detox needs is to get into some rough spots with this person and find out they really like this person they are dating then have it fall apart because they find out that that individual is an addict trying to get clean or for what ever reason they do not take a fancy to you and the relationship falls apart in a very ugly manner. This has caused many to spiral back into addiction at times. It is also not fair to the other person that is going out with the addict to find out somehow that the addict was trying to detox while on a date and I am sure the addict doesn’t want this other person to know that they are an addict also so if you can see where I am heading with this you can see there are already many things that are being hidden and avoided from the very beginning and that is not a very good way to start a relationship with anyone addict or non addict. How to address something like this is very difficult at best. Most non addicts do not understand and only know what is in the movies. To hear that the person they are dating is an addict and already their mind is focused on what the movies portray which is all negative and not anywhere near the truth. This person is already repulsed and thinking “OMG what was I thinking going out with an addict? They will want money, move in, maybe steal from me, what will my friends think? What will my family think? What dare they not tell me! So on and so on. You know what I am saying. One of the best things though is to just tell this person that you need to sort out a personal health issue and you need a bit of time. If this person is truly understanding and they are truly interested in you they will be curious but will not push it and give you time. This is their way of supporting you from the very beginning. If they push you into telling them why you can be honest with them and just explain that you need to do this for you and you only and you can not give her your best until you get yourself clean of this and it would not be fair to her or to you until you do. You don’t want to make your problem her problem and she will understand and respect you for that decision and if she is truly interested in you may even communicate with you here and there offering help and that will not only make you feel good but also make her feel good as she feels she is taking an active part in your recovery. As she sees you improving she also knows, with your reinforcement, that she had a part in helping save you for a better tomorrow that both of you can grow off of. Anyway not my place to really tell you what to do and am only suggesting. That said if you chose to go out on this date and can make it work who knows so more power to you.

Regarding the use of tranqulizers/benzos and class medications please be careful with their use. Take only the absolute minimum amount necessary which is just enough to take the edge off only. You don’t want to take it to make you feel completely relaxed and uncaring. Believe me that if one were to become addicted to Benzos class medications to detox off benzos will make an opiate detox seem like a walk in the park and very pale in comparisons. Benzos MUST BE TAPERED OFF OF AN NOT STOPPED ABRUPTLY MEANING NO COLD TURKEY OFF BENZOS!!! DOING SO CAN PROVE FATAL! Benzo withdrawal also is much more severe and MUCH longer lasting and there is also not a whole lot that can be done to comfort someone that is detoxing from benzos unlike opiates.

Let me know if I can be of help to you. We can address the situation and symptoms as they arise.
    Best wishes to you and you can get clean of these evil things!

Henry
    Robert_325 likes this.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Flatsman ....... When a person goes into recovery in NA / AA one of the first things a sponsor will share with a newcomer, or I used to share at least with my sponsees, was that if you are already married or in a committed relationship stay there. But if you are not married or really involved with anyone when you are trying to get clean I always told my sponsees to refrain from starting up anything new with anyone for a year!

It takes time to get clean and work out our issues that are common to everyone getting into recovery and trying to stay clean. It's so easy to have a fight or disappointment in a relationship and more people have relapsed due to relationship problems than about anything I kinow of. NO WAY that I would recommend getting involved with someone until you have significant clean time and are well in control of your emotions from getting clean. That's my best advice. God bless.
    HenryNCBA likes this.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

SO HERE IS MY QUESTION FOR ALL THE SMART AND HELPFUL PEOPLE HERE. Do I stop the 10 to 15 mg. / daily use of Lortab deal with constant level 6 pain and start back down the road of finding an anti-depressant that works and gain all that weight etc. Pleas offer up any and all thoughts, ideas , encouragement, and of course criticism.
    This is Flatsman's original question which I was attempting to answer. He states that he has been on Lortab since 2005 with no misuse of this drug whatsoever. He is a very rare patient.

Is he hooked, absolutely but still follows the directions his doctor gave him.

Flatsman, you stated you were alone and trying to decide what to do. I only suggested you go on this "date" to give you some much needed companionship for an evening, not necessarily to start a relationship.

Robert and Henry......I Wasn't trying to give him bad advice. Only trying to answer his original question when he mentioned something about going on a date. If I gave him bad advice then I sincerely apoligize.

Best wishes and God Bless........Denny
    HenryNCBA and Robert_325 like this.

HenryNCBA is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Denny_D View Post
    This is Flatsman's original question which I was attempting to answer. He states that he has been on Lortab since 2005 with no misuse of this drug whatsoever. He is a very rare patient.

Is he hooked, absolutely but still follows the directions his doctor gave him.

Flatsman, you stated you were alone and trying to decide what to do. I only suggested you go on this "date" to give you some much needed companionship for an evening, not necessarily to start a relationship.

Robert and Henry......I Wasn't trying to give him bad advice. Only trying to answer his original question when he mentioned something about going on a date. If I gave him bad advice then I sincerely apoligize.

Best wishes and God Bless........Denny
    Hello DennyD,
    You didn't give him bad advice. I was merely stating that when a person is detoxing that it can complicate things is all. In no way was I implying for anyone NOT to go on a date. All too often when a person is not feeling well the person that a person goes out on a date with will know something is wrong. All too often when they find out that an individual is detoxing some very strange and wrongful thoughts are processed. We addicts are in general looked down upon enough and certainly when on a date the last thing anyone would want is for the date to complicate issues is all I was stating. No need to apologize your words were well taken and meant well. With all the turmoil that has been going on with all of us on this forum lately we have a tendency to get a little shy and defensive but such is not the case here. Appreciate your input and it was very well stated with good intentions.
    My only concern was for Flatsman to not go into a possible relationship thinking all will be well when there is a possibility for something embarrassing and hurtful to happen. Denny as you very well know it is hard enough for us addicts to try to fit into society. It is a rare person that is a non addict to be fully understanding of what we go through as the media, general population and show biz hype portrays addicts in general as people that should be avoided. I disagree as I have found that the vast majority of addicts are kind, considerate, compassionate and thoughtful folks that work, have family, pay taxes and are positive contributions to society while society in general puts a damper on them. I have always said that we addicts see things better and have more feelings in general than so called regular folks as we have been on both sides of the wire. We look through that wire and see where we once stood and see all that we once took for granted and only wish to be back on the other side of that barbed wire fence. With all we have learned and experienced we use that to better ourselves and given a chance we would. I know of no so called regular folks from the other side that would willingly come to our side of the fence. All we were stating was in protection of Flatsman as we would really hate to see him get hurt and that not only goes for him but for you or anyone of us. My ex wife even as helpful as she tried to be just didn't understand what we go through. My friends the same thing and I know you too have been through all this and how many times have we heard that old saying of "what's the big deal just quit"? Yeah if it was only that easy. We all get hooked for various reasons but the one thing we all have in common is the addiction. Once someone is successful in conquering this addiction none of us wants to see that person back in the grips of addiction. We all want success. What you stated to Flatsman was well said and with wonderful intentions. I only gave a different perspective is all.
    So my friend no apology needed. Your words of wisdom were well received.

Henry
    Denny_D likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HenryNCBA View Post
    Hello DennyD,
    You didn't give him bad advice. I was merely stating that when a person is detoxing that it can complicate things is all. We all want success. What you stated to Flatsman was well said and with wonderful intentions. I only gave a different perspective is all.
    So my friend no apology needed. Your words of wisdom were well received.

Henry
    Well said Henry and Thank You so much! We are all trying to help Flatsman and I just wanted to make sure the advice I gave him was well grounded. Your kind remarks confirm this.

Flatsman....I hope you are doing well. Keep in touch and let us know how things are going......Denny

Denny ..... I have to be honest here that after using 10-15mg of hydrocodone since 2005 I have serious doubts that the medication is really stopping the pain. You know that anyone will develop a tolerance to opiate medications. That is such a low dose over a long extended period of time that if flatsman was to be clean, then re-assess his pain level I bet that he would find that he could make it without the minimal dose of hydro and make it just fine with Ibuprofen, naproxen or something similar. That small dose of hydro is going to lose its effect after so many years whether he is taking it according to the dr's orders or not.

I probably got off track in my reply above, and I understand where you were coming from. It's just that my experience tells me that he is most likely receiving a placebo effect at best after using such a small dose for so long. I think he would be better off without it and shouldn't need an antidepressant to compensate for the lack of that little amount of hydro in his system. God bless.
    Denny_D likes this.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    Denny ..... I have to be honest here that after using 10-15mg of hydrocodone since 2005 I have serious doubts that the medication is really stopping the pain. You know that anyone will develop a tolerance to opiate medications. That is such a low dose over a long extended period of time that if flatsman was to be clean, then re-assess his pain level I bet that he would find that he could make it without the minimal dose of hydro and make it just fine with Ibuprofen, naproxen or something similar. That small dose of hydro is going to lose its effect after so many years whether he is taking it according to the dr's orders or not.

I probably got off track in my reply above, and I understand where you were coming from. It's just that my experience tells me that he is most likely receiving a placebo effect at best after using such a small dose for so long. I think he would be better off without it and shouldn't need an antidepressant to compensate for the lack of that little amount of hydro in his system. God bless.
    Robert......In his original post above Flatsman states "every now and then I quit for a few weeks so as not to build up a tolerance". He further states "before anyone suggests other methods, I have tried everything". He says he has older posts explaining that. I have read them.

I agree with everything you said Robert and I certainly understand the addiction process. But when he says that he stops the hydro for several weeks at a time I was thinking that maybe it is working to relieve his pain??

Of course he would be better off without it. We will see what he says and wait and see how this all plays out. Thank you very much Robert and Henry. I was just trying to get as much help for Flatsman as I could.........Denny

Anonymous Guest

Thanks to you all for the comments and advice. I started takeing the Lortab on day 5. My plan going forward is to reduce my dosage very slowly so that when I stop , it wont be so hard. I have already decreased my dose from 15 mgs/ daily to 12.5 mg./ daily. So I am quartering the 10 mg. tablets and now takeing 2.5 mg. at a time not to exceed 12.5 mg. / daily. Im not sure how long to go on this decreased dose before dropping another 2.5 mg. This time instead of C.T. I want to taper very very slowly 2.5 mg. at a time. Sort of what Robert325 does with the sub detox. My thinking is what Robert said about the pain. Maybe I can control the pain with non narcotic meds. I want to taper very slowly so as to not feel the depression and total lack of energy. So far I dont miss the 2.5 mg/ daily one bit. This is the second day of the decreased dose. It even seems to work better at the 2.5 mg. doses . I never take a dose any later than 5 or 6 pm . I only need it to get through my day. I think if every two or three weeks I drop another 2.5 mg. I can get all the way down to 2.5 mg/ daily , then jump off. then I am hopeing not to experience the depression and no energy that always seems to get me to use again. Its the only way to really see where my pain really is. Im really hopeing the pain is not as bad as I think . Then if the taper is oh so slow , I might make it this time. I just cant take the anxiety and depression and lack of energy when I try COLD TURKEY. Let me know what you think. I really want this to work. I have always just done the Cold turkey rout and have always failed. Because I cant take the no sleep and all the withdraw symptoms. Im gonna go down so slow and to a minimum 2.5 mg/ daily. So as to not experience the severe withdraw symptoms.

Thanks to you all for the comments and advice. I started takeing the Lortab on day 5. My plan going forward is to reduce my dosage very slowly so that when I stop , it wont be so hard. I have already decreased my dose from 15 mgs/ daily to 12.5 mg./ daily. So I am quartering the 10 mg. tablets and now takeing 2.5 mg. at a time not to exceed 12.5 mg. / daily. Im not sure how long to go on this decreased dose before dropping another 2.5 mg. This time instead of C.T. I want to taper very very slowly 2.5 mg. at a time. Sort of what Robert325 does with the sub detox. My thinking is what Robert said about the pain. Maybe I can control the pain with non narcotic meds. I want to taper very slowly so as to not feel the depression and total lack of energy. So far I dont miss the 2.5 mg/ daily one bit. This is the second day of the decreased dose. It even seems to work better at the 2.5 mg. doses . I never take a dose any later than 5 or 6 pm . I only need it to get through my day. I think if every two or three weeks I drop another 2.5 mg. I can get all the way down to 2.5 mg/ daily , then jump off. then I am hopeing not to experience the depression and no energy that always seems to get me to use again. Its the only way to really see where my pain really is. Im really hopeing the pain is not as bad as I think . Then if the taper is oh so slow , I might make it this time. I just cant take the anxiety and depression and lack of energy when I try COLD TURKEY. Let me know what you think. I really want this to work. I have always just done the Cold turkey rout and have always failed. Because I cant take the no sleep and all the withdraw symptoms. Im gonna go down so slow and to a minimum 2.5 mg/ daily. So as to not experience the severe withdraw symptoms.

I think your taper plan is fine. There is no time limit allowed for a taper. My wife Melinda took a year to finally taper off her meds, working the entire time, going about her business. If you can do it and not put yourself through misery and still continue to make progress then you are on the right track. You only have to answer to yourself. I think you're doing great!

I really believe that when you complete your taper that you will be surprised and delighted to find that you can do well with NSAIDS like Ibuprofen. You have been on such a small dose for so long I truly believe that you'll do fine once you are totally clean for a while. I was taking 1000mg of roxicodone IR each day plus all kinds of other garbage. Did it for decades and I take no pain meds today. Even after five knee surgeries, deg disc problems, RA, Raynauds, scoliosis, the list goes on ..... I do fine with no opiates. I have to take some other meds but no narcotics of any kind.

Expect the best results possible and give it some time after you get clean. I would give you ten to one odds you'll be able to do fine without the opiates any longer. Hope that helps. God bless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast