Results 1 to 11 of 11
Clonidine - Does it Help
  1. #1
    TboneCFP is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    10

    Default Clonidine - Does it Help

    I have been prescribed clonidine by my doc to help with any wd symptoms I may experience while tapering off Subutex. In the last two months, I have tapered from 24 mgs to 8mgs with minimal discomfort. Has anyone had any postive or negative feedback on the use of clonidine to help with wd? Thanks for your help! TboneCFP

  2. #2
    SeekinSober is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Yes it does help, quite a bit. It helps ease anxiety, probably the toughest mental part of tapering/quitting. And it helps with sleep, one of the toughest physical parts of quitting.

    Most docs prescribe it for opiate withdrawal.
    "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls;
    the most massive characters are seared with scars."
    Khalil Gibran

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Seekinsober is correct. It helps greatly with anxiety. I noticed it kicking in pretty quickly too. I don't remember exactly how fast, but I know it was very helpful to me. It didn't do anything for sleep though. I wasn't able to sleep much if any for the first two weeks and then slowly the sleep started coming back. When does your doc want you to start using it? I wouldn't use it until you start feeling very anxious. I used the patch for a week and by then I didn't need it anymore. Hope this helps.

  4. #4
    MaisieC is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    699

    Default

    Clonidine helped me a lot. Of all the various meds I was given to help ease withdrawal, clonidine was by far the most helpful. I found I had to take less than was prescribed, because my blood pressure is naturally low and it would really knock me out. But that's just me.

    Good luck!

    Maisie

  5. #5
    Normankay is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Yeah it will help, but don't take it for that long. I started fainting on it after about 2 weeks of use. If you are getting too tired calm down on it. You can die from having too low of blood pressure. It will help though.

  6. #6
    Robert_325 is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    16,689

    Default

    Tbone ...... They normally prescribe .1mg doses of clonidine for opiate detox. It's BP medicine so you need to monitor yourself to take it appropriately or it can cause problems with a blood pressure drop too low.

    You normally dose when your BP gets to 140 on top or close to 100 on the bottom. That's one reason they take vital signs in rehabs every 4-6 hours, so they give you the meds according to how you're reacting.

    You shouldn't need a bunch of clonodine doing the sub taper if you stick close to the plan especially at 8mg. I could see it needed more down under 2mg. Try to relax, get some exercise. That will help you more than the clonidine at this point. Exercise is the best medicine there is for opiate detox. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

  7. #7
    yezdegerd is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    Tbone ...... They normally prescribe .1mg doses of clonidine for opiate detox. It's BP medicine so you need to monitor yourself to take it appropriately or it can cause problems with a blood pressure drop too low.

    You normally dose when your BP gets to 140 on top or close to 100 on the bottom. That's one reason they take vital signs in rehabs every 4-6 hours, so they give you the meds according to how you're reacting.

    You shouldn't need a bunch of clonodine doing the sub taper if you stick close to the plan especially at 8mg. I could see it needed more down under 2mg. Try to relax, get some exercise. That will help you more than the clonidine at this point. Exercise is the best medicine there is for opiate detox. God bless.
    Exactly what he said. Clonidine works wonders for detoxing. It is best to stick with .1mg at night only for sleep. I was told by my doc that it has some type of stimulant that calms you down during detox, I'm not sure what truths is behind that but I noticed that I felt A LOT better after taking it. I usually take it about 2 hours before bed so I can relax before trying to crash out, but I wouldn't start taking it until you're actually detoxing, not tapering so your tolerance remains high and you don't put yourself in the danger zone

  8. #8
    jboss10 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    142

    Default

    I'm not quite sure how I reacted to the Clonidine. I was given it my first day of withdrawal so I didn't have a control to go by. I was on it from day one and stayed on it for about 2 1/2 weeks. So I'm sure it helped. I was given the Clonidine that gives you .1mg over the course of a day. It's a 7 day patch. I did notice that after I stopped wearing it that I didn't feel so "off". It will help though with anxiety not too sure about sleep. Sleep will get "O.K." maybe 4-5 weeks in. It progressively improves from there. Like Robert said, exercise is key! Don't push yourself though during the first week, maybe a few light walks a day. Then can increase intensity as you feel up to it.

    -JBoss
    "But there's no need to pretend, no need for innocence. I've got to be honest now"

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jboss10 View Post
    I'm not quite sure how I reacted to the Clonidine. I was given it my first day of withdrawal so I didn't have a control to go by. I was on it from day one and stayed on it for about 2 1/2 weeks. So I'm sure it helped. I was given the Clonidine that gives you .1mg over the course of a day. It's a 7 day patch. I did notice that after I stopped wearing it that I didn't feel so "off". It will help though with anxiety not too sure about sleep. Sleep will get "O.K." maybe 4-5 weeks in. It progressively improves from there. Like Robert said, exercise is key! Don't push yourself though during the first week, maybe a few light walks a day. Then can increase intensity as you feel up to it.

    -JBoss
    Jboss, I'm sure you would have noticed a big difference had you been withdrawaling for a few days before starting it. My doctor wanted to see how bad of WD I was going to have before prescribing me anything. It did wonders for my anxiety, but like I said it didn't do anything for the sleep. I too was on the 7 day patch and I think that's all you need to be on it for.

    Robert stated that he didn't think you should use it until you are at least down to 2 mg. I would take his advice. I would actually say not to mess with it until your last day of subs, but then again I didn't take subs, so I don't know anything about them. I guess Robert knows best when it comes to doing things the Sub way. He's a pioneer and a total expert in helping people use Subs. Good luck with whatever you do. Just remember that sleep is one of the last things to come back. Once the sleep starts coming, you will be dealing with fatigue for even longer. I'm still not even close to being "normal" but it sure is a lot better than it was the first few weeks after quitting CT.

  10. #10
    jboss10 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KicknTheAddiction View Post
    Jboss, I'm sure you would have noticed a big difference had you been withdrawaling for a few days before starting it. My doctor wanted to see how bad of WD I was going to have before prescribing me anything. It did wonders for my anxiety, but like I said it didn't do anything for the sleep. I too was on the 7 day patch and I think that's all you need to be on it for.

    Robert stated that he didn't think you should use it until you are at least down to 2 mg. I would take his advice. I would actually say not to mess with it until your last day of subs, but then again I didn't take subs, so I don't know anything about them. I guess Robert knows best when it comes to doing things the Sub way. He's a pioneer and a total expert in helping people use Subs. Good luck with whatever you do. Just remember that sleep is one of the last things to come back. Once the sleep starts coming, you will be dealing with fatigue for even longer. I'm still not even close to being "normal" but it sure is a lot better than it was the first few weeks after quitting CT.
    Yeah Ry, you're totally right. Like I said, I should have waited but I was scarred and was desperate on day 1 to take whatever would help. I'm sure if I waited a few days until withdrawals kicked in I would have noticed the difference. You still not feeling "normal" yet Ry? I was talking to a guy in group and he said he quit Methadone at 70mg (which is way high than you did). He said the jitteryness in his legs didn't go away until the 2 months mark. Granted, he jumped at a much higher dose but the Methadone takes longer, like you know, compared to the subs.

    Anyways, the Clonidine will definitely help! For a sub detox/withdrawal, I'd say use it for a week to a week and a half. It's going to make you feel "off" for a bit. It really sucked the energy that I didn't even have out of me. It out weighs the cons though so it's good in that sense. Good Luck!

    -JBoss
    "But there's no need to pretend, no need for innocence. I've got to be honest now"

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jboss10 View Post
    Yeah Ry, you're totally right. Like I said, I should have waited but I was scarred and was desperate on day 1 to take whatever would help. I'm sure if I waited a few days until withdrawals kicked in I would have noticed the difference. You still not feeling "normal" yet Ry? I was talking to a guy in group and he said he quit Methadone at 70mg (which is way high than you did). He said the jitteryness in his legs didn't go away until the 2 months mark. Granted, he jumped at a much higher dose but the Methadone takes longer, like you know, compared to the subs.

    Anyways, the Clonidine will definitely help! For a sub detox/withdrawal, I'd say use it for a week to a week and a half. It's going to make you feel "off" for a bit. It really sucked the energy that I didn't even have out of me. It out weighs the cons though so it's good in that sense. Good Luck!

    -JBoss
    Yeah JBoss, I'm feeling quite a bit better actually. I still have issues with WD, just like you, but they are more minor anymore. I can deal with what I'm going through now. I am getting compliments on how much I have changed as a person and people including family members are saying that I'm much more pleasurable to be around. I'm glad they notice such a big difference. I told myself I was going to change and I have. The Methadone detox doctor that I talked to told me that the dose one quits on doesnt' matter to much. He said everyone reacts differently to WD. He said some people coming off of 10 mg had a harder time than some off of 50 mg. I guess some just can't handle much while some can handle a lot. Oh well, we are here and that's what matters. Lets keep pushing forward bro.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22