Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By yezdegerd
  • 1 Post By SomeDay
  • 1 Post By IP 110
  • 1 Post By MaisieC
  • 1 Post By WWIIbuff
  • 1 Post By FarEast
Chronic sneezing after opiate withdrawal?
    SomeDay is offline Member

Default Chronic sneezing after opiate withdrawal?

I'm on day 20 right now and have been sneezing alot for about the last 2 weeks. I don't remember this happening the other times I quit, so i'm not sure if it's related to quitting or not. The allergy pill I normally take doesn't seem to be helping.

Does anybody know if this is normal or is it completely unrelated? Thanks.

jboss10 is offline Member

Hey, I'm almost day 11 and my sneezing came a few days ago. I think it's all part of your body getting all the toxins out and running it's course. The thing that sucks for me is always having the chills! I feel like a freakin' ice box all day and stay under 100 blankets. The fact that it's 30 degrees out doesn't help but man! The other thing that is creeping on me is the anxiety for some reason. I'll just be sitting watching some t.v. and my heart starts racing and I start thinking about tons of stuff that shouldn't be going through my mind. But anyways, I'm pretty sure it's part of it!

CONGRATS on 20 days! How do you feel? How's your sleep? How's anxiety/chills? How's your energy?

Lethal23 is offline New Member

Wow that's funny, I had the same thing coming off roxi's... sneezing uncontrollably for a few days with no congestion but didn't relate the two things together.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

I sneezed for two months when I got clean. Don't worry about it, it finally started making me laugh. I thought that I would never quit sneezing. It's totally typical of opiate detox. You're doing great. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

yezdegerd is offline Senior Member

Sneezing was how my wife always caught me relapsing haha.
    suomi1lapp likes this.

Thanks for all the comments. Glad to know i'm not alone with this. I don't want to spin my wheels with allergy pills or something else if it's just part of the detox. The sneezes seem to come in three's. Hopefully it ends soon.

CONGRATS on 20 days! How do you feel? How's your sleep? How's anxiety/chills? How's your energy?

On day 20: I don't feel to bad. No major physical symptoms left, aside from somewhat low energy. I'm not forcing anything physical yet. My sleep is actually pretty good right now. I have been sleeping for about 6-7 hours a night without waking up. My mind is significantly clearer, probably because of the better sleep I have been getting. The first couple weeks of detox, it felt like I was higher than a kite. My mind was just so out of it. It wasn't the feel good kind of high. It was more like the "i'm not in control of this high and I want to come down" kind of high.

As far as lower energy, I think some of it is of course still related to the detox/PAWS process, but I think some is also the fact that I haven't been very physically active for a long time. I don't think my energy levels would be good even if I hadn't abused these things for the last several years. I really need to get going in the gym. I think that will make a huge difference.

The part that is still lingering is the anxiety. It is letting up some as time goes on, but it is definitely still there. It is worst in the morning right when I wake up, then subsides, returns throughout the day while at work, and then fades at night when I get back home. I also have random thoughts that pop into my head and cause massive heart pounding. I believe that some of this anxiety was there before I started using, but is more pronounced now during my recovery. I guess it will just take some time. I want to make an effort to help myself with some of these issues I dealt with even before the opiate abuse (anxiety, OCD, etc), but still think it's a little to early in recovery to do so. Hopefully within the next few weeks to a month when my mind has had a little more time to clear.

Thanks again for all the support. This board is my only support and is one of the major reasons that this is the longest I have ever gone since I stated abusing. The value of the reassurance given cannot be quantified. Many people here have succeeded in their quest to become clean, but continue to drop in and support those who are still trying. That's what will get people clean. I will also continue to do so. Peoples lives are on the line. I never would have said that about pills until I went through it myself.
    cali_soleil likes this.

IP 110 is offline New Member

Hey someday! Your posts have really helped me out and love hearing about your progress. I'm going on day 9 and I know we are about 10 days or so apart but I'm totally with ya on the anxiety stuff. Most of my physical symptoms have gone away but omg this anxiety is nuts. In the morning, through out the day, while watching tv, the whole nine yards...I've been taking valerian root through out the day and seems to help a little for the anxiety and at night for sleep. It really feels though that for the time I used I just covered up all the emotions I had and now that we don't have that mask on it anymore they are all coming out at once making a ton of anxiety for us. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem but if your on day 20 and still having anxiety then I know it will be awhile till I start feeling normal again too.
    cali_soleil likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by IP 110 View Post
    Hey someday! Your posts have really helped me out and love hearing about your progress. I'm going on day 9 and I know we are about 10 days or so apart but I'm totally with ya on the anxiety stuff. Most of my physical symptoms have gone away but omg this anxiety is nuts. In the morning, through out the day, while watching tv, the whole nine yards...I've been taking valerian root through out the day and seems to help a little for the anxiety and at night for sleep. It really feels though that for the time I used I just covered up all the emotions I had and now that we don't have that mask on it anymore they are all coming out at once making a ton of anxiety for us. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem but if your on day 20 and still having anxiety then I know it will be awhile till I start feeling normal again too.

Yeah the anxiety is still there, but it isn't terrible like it was the first week. Some of it i'm sure is anxiety that I have always had, and may always have. You may not have it as bad depending on how you were before. Just thinking about the future with a clear mind is getting me through. These thoughts are some of the best I have ever had. It weird how a traumatic event, or in our case basically many, many days/weeks/months/years of consistent traumatic events can change our perspective on things. Things that I worried about before seem to be bouncing right off of me. I wish there had been an easier path, but this experience has been life changing for me. I know there are things I will accomplish now that I may not have had I not gone through this. I guess there is a reason that we were chosen to endure this pain.

MaisieC is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by SomeDay View Post
    Yeah the anxiety is still there, but it isn't terrible like it was the first week. Some of it i'm sure is anxiety that I have always had, and may always have. You may not have it as bad depending on how you were before. Just thinking about the future with a clear mind is getting me through. These thoughts are some of the best I have ever had. It weird how a traumatic event, or in our case basically many, many days/weeks/months/years of consistent traumatic events can change our perspective on things. Things that I worried about before seem to be bouncing right off of me. I wish there had been an easier path, but this experience has been life changing for me. I know there are things I will accomplish now that I may not have had I not gone through this. I guess there is a reason that we were chosen to endure this pain.
    I know what you mean about that. I am NOT glad I became an addict, but somehow going through it and surviving it and getting into recovery has taught me some very valuable lessons about life. Those lessons were hard-won. There's got to be an easier way! But this is the way I chose, apparently.

Some of those people you meet in NA and AA are so wise. They've just been through hell, and they really have learned how to live and deal with the world. You sometimes see a really amazing serenity there.

Take care of yourself,
    Maisie
    cali_soleil likes this.

nymomma is offline New Member

Post Detoxing off of opiates

I see alot of you having trouble with sneezing and anxiety. Sneezing is normal, all those neurotransmitters in the brain are firing like crazy looking for the opiate so the sneezing is a result of that. Also if you are having anxiety and other issues, I have found that being on DLPA and 5-HTP (amino acids) help with the head. THe body is still tired, but the head is ok. No anxiousness, craving, etc. I hope this helps! Also, no sugar, because the sugar increases the craving for opiates. Its rough, but it works and you are able to go to work and function, just a little tired. It took a lot of research and helping others to get to this point. Trial and error, but if you have been on this stuff for years..and keep on relapsing, this is the answer. Good luck!

Anonymous Guest

Hey!
    Just the name of this thread made me laugh!
    Normal for sure
    Marian

Dopesick420 is offline Member

Hello,

glad i came across your thread. was wondering the same thing. My record is 12! I dont know if thats even close to how you are, but ya, weird. Ppl at my work are shocked after 4, and thats just warming up. lol

Im also day 20 today. Tommorow will be my 3 week mark. Good luck to you

Dopesick

ClassiqueMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dopesick420 View Post
    ...Im also day 20 today. Tommorow will be my 3 week mark. Good luck to you

Dopesick
    well.. where i live, it's only another 40 minutes til tomorrow.. (11:25 p.m.)
    so.. how's about an early CONGRATS!!
    you deserve to be proud (in a good way) of yourself!

stay strong!

Classique MoM

stratmaster is offline New Member

Default sneezing and withdrawal

I noticed when I am going through withdrawals I will sneeze before I start a meal. And then that feeling of having to sneeze will be with me throughout the meal. Seems crazy but true.

Carolina77 is offline Member

The same thing has been going on with me! Almost to Day 8 and have sneezed several times every day....this is the weirdest thing...esp to see it going on with everyone else. My nose stuffed up yesterday to the point where i could barely breathe....but it was gone this morning. Weird.

WWIIbuff is offline New Member

I think it has something to do with the fact that your pupils are so used to be semi constricted from years of opiate use. When you stop using opiates it naturally dialates your pupils slightly more allowing more light it. I know I sneezed for almost a month after I got off of suboxone. I also realized it happened a lot (but not always) when I transitioned from indoors to outdoors. It goes away eventually. Stay strong, I was on opiates for over ten years and the last five strictly suboxone. It's tough but you have to do it eventually if you ever want a good job, as more and more are testing. Or an education that involves getting into healthcare.
    cali_soleil likes this.

FarEast is offline Member

Almost 20 days off and last 5 days out of nowhere sneeze 3-5 times in a row and passes .. Much today with crazy restless leg and impossible to lie still yet to tired to move ?? Thanks for thread thought I was getting cold ?
    cali_soleil likes this.

Doctor Dolittle is offline New Member

Default Sinuses no longer dried out and that makes you sneeze!

Not trying to sound like Captain Obvious here, but hasn't anyone taken into consideration that the sneezing is occurring because your sinuses are no longer dried out? It's well known that opiates dry you out. Some people get constipated, others get dry mouth, etc. So, wouldn't it make sense that this drying effect happens in the sinuses as well?

It makes perfect sense when you think about it. When you think about when the sneezing occurs...it happens when you come off of them. Because as the drug completely exits your system, your body is no longer getting dried out and your sinuses are allowed to run free opening them up to take in more allergens and have things such as post-nasal drip, etc.

I'm not a doctor, but I have made this observation over time and it makes perfect sense. I hope that helps others understand what might be going on.

Brauchtworst is offline Senior Member

That does make sense. I love your name!!! Cracked me up when I saw you had posted. My mouth was very dry while I was on the drugs. I took 400mg magnesium to keep everything else moving!!! I hope I have not gotten gum disease from the dry mouth. I remember my mouth being gapped open in the night and my tongue was bone dry and stuck. What a life! Glad it's in the past. The nose and the skin were bone dry. I also got up and peed three or four times every night. I don't know why that happened. I should look it up I guess. All the fluids from the nose, mouth and skin went to the bladder!!!

OpiatesConquered is offline New Member

I going on a year now it will be a year tomorrow, I just read all this post and I want to say you guys are doing great all of you and it's a lifestyle change that you have to get use to. When we were on drugs we were running 100% all the time and now we are not and are body is just trying to figure out why, but its so great to see how you guys are doing its really amazing to see. Continue on your path and you will be so much happier, I am off a year now and said I would post something on this site when I made it and I did but I want to let you all know I feel Increditable and I am now running 120% sober.

OpiatesConquered is offline New Member

And also any questions anybody needs a answer to I can help don't hesitate to ask.