Christian wife needs advice
    jojosmama is offline New Member

Default Christian wife needs advice

hi, new member here,

M husband of almost 5 years is addicted to NSAIDS and has been for at least 3 years. he's already been through an 8-week AA style treatment program. I feel like I'm going insane trying to deal with his lies - just today I found out that he's been taking money that's supposed to be going to our food and rent - we have a small child. It seems like my life keeps going around in circles - sometimes he's the most wonderful husband and father, and then it's like he couldn't care less whether we eat or have a place to live.

I don't know what to do - I separated from him once after our baby was born for about 2 months, I guess I was trying to scare him into seeing that he would lose us if he continued. It worked - for a month or so. Since then it's been this cycle of good times then finding out he's lying about something (like today). I can't even remember how many times this cycle's been round and round, or how many times he's been in hospital for bleeding stomach ulcers (almost dying once). What I want to know is, is there anything that any spouse out there has done that has actually made a difference? I am a born-again Christian so just outright divorce isn't an option, although I'm not against separation if that's what will help him and our marriage most. When I met him, he had also become a Christian and had kicked an alcohol habit, but he has (obviously) fallen away from God in the past few years.

Any help or advice would be appreciated,
    Sarah

cvtldy1958 is offline Member

Welcome Jojosmama,
    Not sure you have the drug name correct..Nsaids...THAT IS MOTRIN/advil etc:
    which could cause bleeding ulcers etc, but there is no addiction to that particular drug.
    Could you find the drug name and re-post??
    this is not a narcotic, (nsaids)---Is it pain killers? vicodin?
    and is he in pain?

get back to us. Its hard to help you when no one knows what he is USING.
    one can only speculate.
    but you have come to the right place for help

kathleen5hockey is offline Advanced Member

Hi Sarah,

I am so sorry for you, especially with a young child. My daughter has been addicted to >>>>>> for 3 yrs. It's a very tiring situation. All I can tell you is seek help thru your church, that has helped me. The lesson learned thru all of this is we have to take care of ourselves (and your child) and it's not easy. I will pray for you. Will try to help you with positive responses when I can. Drugs.com has helped me more than my counceling! Keep writing it does help.

MaisieC is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by cvtldy1958 View Post
    Welcome Jojosmama,
    which could cause bleeding ulcers etc, but there is no addiction to that particular drug.
    and is he in pain?

one can only speculate.

Addiction to NSAIDs certainly can and does occur! I think she probably does know what he is using!

Anonymous Guest

Default Really

That is a surprise I have never heard of addiction to NSAIDS in my life. I guess anything is possible. They do have a motrin/hydrocodone combo drug out there...perhaps that is the one he is using.

MaisieC is offline Senior Member

A simple Google search of "NSAID addiction" yields some information, if you're interested.

jojosmama, you are not alone in this situation. There are a few women currently on this board who are dealing with addicted husbands and working through that. I hope they will see your post and reply. Lost83 has a long thread that might be useful for you to read.

Take good care.

Quote Originally Posted by cvtldy1958 View Post
    Welcome Jojosmama,
    and is he in pain?

one can only speculate.

hi again, and thanks for your replies. Sorry for not being more specific.

The particular drug he's addicted to is Nurofen Plus (I'm not from the US) which is a codeine based NSAID, so it is the codeine he's addicted to in them. he's currently on a program of being prescribed a certain amount of codeine, but he still takes the painkillers on top of what he's prescribed. he had a back injury about 3 years ago, which he occasionally complains of, which he's had a significant amount of treatment for.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by jojosmama View Post
    hi again, and thanks for your replies. Sorry for not being more specific.

The particular drug he's addicted to is Nurofen Plus (I'm not from the US) which is a codeine based NSAID, so it is the codeine he's addicted to in them. he's currently on a program of being prescribed a certain amount of codeine, but he still takes the painkillers on top of what he's prescribed. he had a back injury about 3 years ago, which he occasionally complains of, which he's had a significant amount of treatment for.

I know that if you have to take ibuprofen for inflammation the problem returns if you don't take it like me with Rheumatoid Arthiritis. I take a ton of ibuprofen, but I've never had w/d if I didn't have it. My back just hurts again more. Is he taking vicoprofen by chance? Or what painkillers is he taking. There is getting to be more to this story than just ibuprofen. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    I know that if you have to take ibuprofen for inflammation the problem returns if you don't take it like me with Rheumatoid Arthiritis. I take a ton of ibuprofen, but I've never had w/d if I didn't have it. My back just hurts again more. Is he taking vicoprofen by chance? Or what painkillers is he taking. There is getting to be more to this story than just ibuprofen. God bless.
    The painkillers he's taking are ibuprofen with codeine added. At his worst, he was taking about 40 pills a day. I'm not sure how many he's taking now, but the fact that he's spending the amount he is (enoug to cover our weekly groceries) makes me think it'd be close to his worst. he says that just taking the codeine by itself (as he is being prescribed) doesn't give him the effect of taking the painkillers. I'm not sure what vicoprofen is - I just looked up Nurofen Plus (what he's addicted to) and it just says they're ibuprofen + codeine.
    Thanks, Sarah

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by jojosmama View Post
    The painkillers he's taking are ibuprofen with codeine added. At his worst, he was taking about 40 pills a day. I'm not sure how many he's taking now, but the fact that he's spending the amount he is (enoug to cover our weekly groceries) makes me think it'd be close to his worst. he says that just taking the codeine by itself (as he is being prescribed) doesn't give him the effect of taking the painkillers. I'm not sure what vicoprofen is - I just looked up Nurofen Plus (what he's addicted to) and it just says they're ibuprofen + codeine.
    Thanks, Sarah

Sounds like he's addicted to the codiene in the meds. There are lots of people taking that medication, it's a lot different than plain ibuprofen. Keep us posted. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.