Can I jump off at .5 mg suboxone?

Arrow Can I jump off at .5 mg suboxone?

I have been taking suboxone for 10 days. The first 6 were 1 mg, the last 4 have been .5 mg. Can I jump off now? How bad (or not bad) will my withdrawal symptoms be? I have one week off of work and then a short easy day and then two more days off. I really wanted to start to feel ok by Sunday (one week from today). I know that what I want and what will happen are obviously two different things, but I'm trying to get a general idea of what to expect.

Justin27 is offline Junior Member

Hi, it would be more helpful to have a little history background of your drug using and how you starting taking suboxone in the first place.

The reason why I am saying this is because you have only been taking suboxone for 10 days which is such a short span that you most likely will feel nothing physical if you stop taking it now, you will mostly feel mental cravings and what not.

On another note its very very good when you originally started the suboxone at 1mg as most people are confused and DR. over prescribe therefore starting out with very high dosages like 16mg-24mg. The fact that you started with 1mg will make it much easier to ween down and make a very smooth transition off them.

But in order to give you the proper advice like I said before it would be helpful to have some background history and facts of your situation.

Also there is a great thread on how to ween off of soboxone very smoothly done by a member with a lot of personal experience on these forums named robert. There are a few different methods of using the suboxone, and it really shouldent be used for a long time period of more then 6 months as suboxone is a narcotic and an opiate therefore you do get addicted and by not taking it right it will cause more problems down the road. But from what ive read in your above post you can follow a similar way that the famous Dr. Drew recommends on using suboxone. That it should only be taking for a week or so in small dosages and then stop while you seek therapy or rehab. This method is good for being able to get rid of the physical withdrawal effects but however you will need to deal with the mental withdrawal effects that I feel is much harder then physical and a lot longer. So this way has its pros and cons, and if your not serious about getting clean then this method will not work. If you think you are mentally strong enough then by all means go for it.

With all that being said, you are currently on .5mg of suboxone which is a very low dosage and you cant get much lower then that. Also please beware that suboxone does stay in your system for 72 hours so if you were to feel discomfort which I honestly think you will feel none or very little it will take place 3 days after your last dosage. If you are worried about the withdrawal feelings and considering you have a week off work to lay in bed if somehow you feel sick, then I suggest you should stop taking the suboxone and see how you feel after 2-3 days. If you feel fine then good, you dont need to take it. If you feel severe withdrawal then I suggest you take .25-.50mg of suboxone and then consistently every 2-3 days take .25-.50mg for a week or two and you could smoothly come off the suboxone with little to nothing of dicsomfort.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Justin .... here is the link I think you were referring to for the sub taper plan. God bless.

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Justin27 is offline Junior Member

Yes^^^ Thank you Robert...

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately I didn't get to check this until today due to a lack of internet.

I had been taking from 4 to 8 vicodin, percocets, or oxys per day for about 11 months. Sometimes I would get down to 3 a day and sometimes (like around Christmas) I was up to around 10 a day. I know that this isn't a lot compared to what most people take but for some reason I have become very dependent on opiates. I tried to quit cold turkey twice, in July and November, and went through four days off hell followed by milder symptoms but I was still in so much pain that I got right back on after a week. So this time I did the suboxone for 10 days and took my last dose on Sunday morning. Monday and Tuesday were relatively sucky, Wednesday and Thursday were so so. It kind of comes and goes. St Johns Wort helps A LOT and taking iron supplements seems to help as well (I am naturally very anemic since childhood). I have arthritis (at 27- how ridiculous is that?) so I have been taking the diclofenac my doctor prescribed and that helps with the pain as well although it doesn't last the full day. Exercise and movement helps as well. My only issue is that I can't sleep. I've drugged myself silly at night with tylenol pm and benadryl and ativan and whatever else I can find to induce sleep and while it makes me groggy, it's next to impossible to fall asleep and stay asleep. The only times I consider taking suboxone is after I've taken all those sleeping pills and I still am lying awake for hours. I have to take care of my 3 year old daughter during the day so I can't just sleep anytime I feel that I can. I miss work like crazy but I'm scared I'm going to snap at a customer. Or start crying. I need a way to test myself before i throw myself back in to that.

And that's pretty much it.

I guess my only question is... when does it start to feel better. Not 100% but like 75%?