Black stool(diarrhea)
    thismom is offline New Member

Exclamation Black stool(diarrhea)

So I have 3 days clean and I have had thee normal case of dirrehia....is it normal for it to be black? I know it sounds gross but I'm sure someone can help me here. Has anyone else had this? I haven't really noticed this until today.

cherry14 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by thismom View Post
    So I have 3 days clean and I have had thee normal case of dirrehia....is it normal for it to be black? I know it sounds gross but I'm sure someone can help me here. Has anyone else had this? I haven't really noticed this until today.
    Is it really dark brown or truly black? (sorry if that sounds gross, but I'm an RN...that kind of conversation/question doesn't phase me in the least, LOL)

There are a few things that can cause this, one serious, the rest not. FIRST off, what medications are you taking? Some have the side effect of black stools. I know that iron supplements (and that would include a multivitamin that has iron in it) can do it, so can Pepto Bismol. This is most often the cause.

A GI (stomach/intestinal) bleed can cause black stools as well. Black color is an indication that the bleeding is caused from higher up in the intestine or the stomach itself (for example, from an ulcer). If the bleeding would be lower (from hemorrhoids, for example), then it would appear red in the stool. Do you have any problems with your stomach? Any history of acid problems, ulcers, GERD? Do you take any medication that could cause bleeding (aspirin, Coumadin)? Any abdominal distention, bloating, pain? Stools that are caused by a GI bleed are often described as black and "tarry," so consistency would play a role here as well, in determining the reason.

It's impossible to say which, without knowing your medical history or your medications or any other symptoms (not that I could say anyway, on a forum, and I'm not a doctor). I can only give you what I know are reasons that you can have black colored stools.

If you're concerned, certainly call your doctor and let them know about this, and any other symptoms you are experiencing.

Remiel26 is offline New Member

There are a number of different causes for black stool. The two types of black stool are melena or false melena. A black stool known as melena is caused by internal bleeding. It would be black in the stool because it would have been in the body for sometime. This would be very serious. There are many other causes of black in the stool. Medications, certain foods or iron supplements. Only a doctor can tell if the black is indeed blood or not. Many times, if the black is in the stool frequently, you can get a kit to collect a sample. Causes of internal bleeding could be a bleeding ulcer, gastritis, esophageal varices or a tear in the esophagus from violent vomiting.

I can't think of any reason why quitting pain medication would cause black. If you cannot think of any reason why it would be benign, such as a food you ate (dark foods, blueberries, etc.) or iron supplements (vitamins) and if it is happenening a lot then I would get it checked out.

Yes they are BLACK and tary so to say. For the last few days I was on Excedrin back and body but before that motrin and I did take 2 motrin this morning but the last Excedrin was last night around 9pm. I have been taking multivitamins and b-complex 50 but I have been taking them for almost a month now. My stomach was very bloated yesterday but not today. I am 3 days clean for norco,vicodin but when I took about 30 mg a day really no more well at least the last month or so. I dont have a DR to call no insurance. I have had the black stool 2wice I still have the "norm" from the wd but other than that I feel good.

I have been on the vitamins but no more than I normally take! No foods that would cause it.

It's hard to say, then. If your multivit contains iron, it could be from that. Even if you've taken it for a while, it doesn't mean that ISN'T the cause, if that makes sense. The bloating could just be from having diarrhea in general, from the withdrawal symptoms.

If it continues, I do suggest you go to a clinic or the ER and have them run a test for occult blood. It's a simple thing for them to do; you give them a stool sample and they put a drop of solution on it, a color change will tell them if there's blood in it. (In fact, there MAY be a kit like that you can buy from a pharmacy?....try calling a pharmacy in your area and ask them if they have a kit/test that you can do at home to look for blood in your stool). It may not be that, but if it is, you will need to find the cause, as it can be serious.

Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
    It's hard to say, then. If your cultivate contains iron, it could be from that. Even if you've taken it for a while, it doesn't mean that ISN'T the cause, if that makes sense. The bloating could just be from having diarrhea in general, from the withdrawal symptoms.

If it continues, I do suggest you go to a clinic or the ER and have them run a test for occult blood. It's a simple thing for them to do; you give them a stool sample and they put a drop of solution on it, a color change will tell them if there's blood in it. (In fact, there MAY be a kit like that you can buy from a pharmacy?....try calling a pharmacy in your area and ask them if they have a kit/test that you can do at home to look for blood in your stool). It may not be that, but if it is, you will need to find the cause, as it can be serious.

Best of luck.
    Just so weird because I feel good. I did take 1 chew able pep-to yesterday for my stomach(bloating) but it says take 2 so I dont think it could be from that could it? Maybe if I'm still having it 2morow I will go and have it checked out. I;m just worried the way my luck is going WHO KNOWS thanks a bunch!!

didnt come through cant see the link

Just so weird because I feel good. I did take 1 chew able pep-to yesterday for my stomach(bloating) but it says take 2 so I dont think it could be from that could it? Maybe if I'm still having it 2morow I will go and have it checked out. I;m just worried the way my luck is going WHO KNOWS thanks a bunch!!

In my personaly opinion, yes, it could be from the Pepto. That is a known side effect of that med, doesn't/shouldn't matter whether you took one or two, you can have side effects regardless of the dose.

Sorry about the link. Just do a google (or whatever) search for "at home fecal occult blood testing" and you'll find links to sites that sell at home testing kits. I did see sites that said you can buy them from a pharmacy, I think they are kept behind the pharmacy counter, but all you have to do is ask for one. The one in the link I posted was about 10 dollars, so they're not expensive. It will obviously involve collecting your stool in some fashion to test it, if you can handle doing that, but if you'd go to the doctor, you'd have to give them a specimen, as well. Again, my opinion, but I think it would be well worth that amount of money to know for sure whether or not there was blood present. If not, then you are ok. If there is, you know to follow up with your doctor ASAP.

I think it could be the Pepto. But at this point, it would be good to know for sure. Are they continuing to be black? If it's from the Pepto, if you haven't taken any more, they should return to "normal" color.

HTH.

Yeah its still black. I am going to the pharm and going to try and pick up a "do it Ur self' lol i hope I'm just worrying myself thanks allot it has been nice having someone to turn to.

Yeah its still black. I am going to the pharm and going to try and pick up a "do it Ur self' lol i hope I'm just worrying myself thanks allot it has been nice having someone to turn to.
    I very much know what it's like to worry, I'm that type of person myself....once I get an idea in my head, it takes on a life of its own, and until I can prove to myself that something isn't a big deal, it bothers me!

I hope it turns out that this is just a side effect. Please keep me posted, now I'm going to wonder how things, uh, "come out" (I know how strange it sounds for me to worry about someone else's bowel problems, but like I said, I'm a nurse! I inquire about people's bowels every day, lol).

Quote Originally Posted by cherry14 View Post
    I very much know what it's like to worry, I'm that type of person myself....once I get an idea in my head, it takes on a life of its own, and until I can prove to myself that something isn't a big deal, it bothers me!

I hope it turns out that this is just a side effect. Please keep me posted, now I'm going to wonder how things, uh, "come out" (I know how strange it sounds for me to worry about someone else's bowel problems, but like I said, I'm a nurse! I inquire about people's bowels every day, lol).

That mean allot thanks for caring!! I will keep you updated
    have a good night