Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By newyorkgal
Best things for opiate withdrawal? Please help
    evilblueberry is offline New Member

Default Best things for opiate withdrawal? Please help

I am stuck with this horrible habit and am trying to figure a way out. Every time I try it seems like I'm ready for it but then some new feelings start emerging or some new twist that makes it so hard. The restless legs are really bad and even worse is the constant sense of anxiety and low/depressed mood all the time. Does anyone have ideas of things to try or anything that helps. I want to stay away from Suboxone as I only hear success stories from people who are still on it and it seems like many horror stories for those that tried to quit suboxone itself. I just need help, has anyone here gone through it and been done for awhile and feel completely normal again?

oneistoomany is offline Member

How long since your last pill and how much were you taking-- and for how long?

I am only clean for 1 week after a relapse.

It does get easier and easier as far as the physical symptoms go-- but then it is the mental stuff that is so dangerous. My life got insanely crazy and I relapsed -- and made my life even crazier... taking those little pills didn't help anything at all.

For RLS, try eating bananas or taking pottasium. For anxiety, I take St. John's Wort, L-Tyrosine, Vitamin B 100, and when it is really bad I take 1 Benadryl.

It does get easier-- hang in there!!!

Becky

newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

Look up The Thomas Recipe, either here or google it. It has many things that definitely help. As for sub, it depends on your addiction. Sometimes sub is a giant step up in addiction and better left alone. Sometimes a short taper after a longer or heavier addiction is the way to go. On these threads you will find people who have kicked cold turkey, who have tapered off their drug of choice, who have done a short sub taper successfully.
    Catrina likes this.

Opee is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by newyorkgal View Post
    Look up The Thomas Recipe, either here or google it. It has many things that definitely help. As for sub, it depends on your addiction. Sometimes sub is a giant step up in addiction and better left alone. Sometimes a short taper after a longer or heavier addiction is the way to go. On these threads you will find people who have kicked cold turkey, who have tapered off their drug of choice, who have done a short sub taper successfully.
    Hiya,

The Thomas Recipe is a tried and true method, but at my level it was a waste of money at GNC. For ME, multivitamin, Potassium pills, Immodium, Benadryl (Valerien Root is the biggest joke on the market - it's a Pez) and ALOT of powdered Gatorade. And, of course, any benzo you can get your hands on. I prefer Klonopin, it's longer acting and less addictive than Xanax (which is the most ever-rated pill on the market in MY opinion). Water water water. Sleep, rest, eat soup, gut it out and in a week you will be a differnet person physically.

Potassium will take care of those legs, along with WATER. Again : WATER WATER WATER

Mentally - prepare yourself. You just strapped into a rollercoaster, but you CAN do this. Stay strong, post often.

We are ALL here fore you.

Regards,
    Jeff
    That which does not kill me makes me stronger.

I know exactly what you are going through. I quit Methadone CT and it's been a rough ride, but one that I would jump on again if I had to. It won't be easy, but will be worth it in the end. I am almost at a month and still have issues, but things are slowly getting better. A lot of things have passed, but many still linger as well. There are a few things that have been helpful to me through this process.

EmergenC 3 times per day
    Multivitamins
    Vitamin B12
    Milk Thistle
    Protein Shakes
    Amino Acids
    Fish Oil
    Folic Acid
    Potassium
    5HTP, which I didn't take but I hear it's great
    Lots of hot baths, and sitting in the hot tub helps RLS quite a bit
    Eat a clean diet, no caffeine, fatty foods, or sugars
    stay active, sitting around feeling sorry for yourself doesn't cut it and will only make the WD much worse in my opinion
    stay glued to this board, the support is amazing and will help you to get through the toughest of times. Knowing there are many others that are going through what you are at the same time is beyond helpful. When you feel like it's only you, it can make you hate the world, I know this to be true, because it was how I felt before finding this great community of wonderful people.

Keep telling yourself that you can beat this and no little pill is going to run your life. Get mad at those things and let them have it. It sounds crazy, but you have to make them your worst enemy and never make up or forgive them for any reason. You can do this, and there's no better time to start than NOW. We are all here for you! Get er done!
    Last edited by KicknTheAddiction; 02-01-2011 at 03:56 AM.

noneed99 is offline Junior Member

dont be afraid of suboxone, most of the people that have problems with it have been on it for longer than Robert325 recommends.

If you can take a month to detox and not have contact with people when you dont want it (and that is probably the whole first 2 weeks) then maybe you can go without suboxone. I did not have that choice.. i was working fulltime and had to be at work on monday, and it was a thursday that i went to the doctor and confessed to everyone and myself that i was an addict.

It also gave me the strength to live without wanting the original drug, subox did not get me HIGH, and slowly the tapering was getting lower and lower, maybe i should have done it quicker.. but the plan with the doctor was.. Taper as the patient feels.. so only when i was comfortable did i lower my doses... alot had to do with temperature/weather and how work was going. Had i found Roberts plan when i started or in the first months of subox i think things would be very different today. I know there are horror stories, but there are also success stories, and people in the same situations having inverse results and relapsing.

I stopped percocet first time after doing them from 18 - 21 at a 1-3 max per day, the withdrawals were severe but lasted very short and i didnt even think it was the percocet but rather my laziness and emotional issues.. but it was withdrawals from percocet as i did not know when i was younger, plus i was younger and my body could take more of a beating and rebound quicker. Now im 27 and on day 8 i started to get a fever that made me very uncomfortable, but today day 10 seems like the fever is there but not making me as uncomfortable as it did in the past 2 days. i read that after 2 yers of subox if you taper correctly you dont have as severe issues as i am now, but they last about a month.. after they really really subside. People that i read who did subox for a short timem and tapered to a lower dosage than what i cold turkeyed off of had a much easier time. I took 1mg subox mornings for 6 months prior to stopping cold turkey, it was a rash stupid decision but now i dont want to step backwards and take another subox, no matter how small.. and i have had recommendations not to since im on day 10... if on day 1-3 its severe then take .25mg and wait a few days and doit again and wait longer between taking that dose.. and it tapers you much better.

Suboxone was an option because rehab was not. If i could detox for weeks without having to think about anything other than it i might have been able to do this addiction fix without subox, but it just was not an option at the time.

Dont be afraid of suboxone.. talk to robert and he can definately make things easier on your recovery.

The only issue is that while the withdrawal symptoms are serious and while i was on the subox/percocet my thinking was not straight... i feel so much more clear that if i believed humans have a soul i could call it "my soul is back" and i dont want to numb it again with even a small dose of subox. So any decision you may be making right now could be made incorrect because you are not thinking straight.. just like i was not thinking straight when the tapering plan was in effect because i thought i might not be able to taper when i really could have. ( i read a religious persons opiate/subox recovery and thats what they said and it stuck in my mind because the first 2 days off suboxone i could smell/taste/breathe/everything in a way that i hadnt felt in a long time. But that is because suboxone numbs the receptors from getting ipiate high, it just levels them out so you dont have uncomfortable withdrawal.)

I dont know what i mean, i just want you to not be afraid of suboxone, it might be the best way to prevent a relapse and keep you functioning and comfortable as a human being in the situation that is unique to you.

For instance because i smoked marijuana before my addiction and during it, i tried it when stopping subox.. you only get 5% high from marijuana no matter how much you smoke when you are on subox therapy... since percocet already numbed my body and the receptors were going insane craving opiate... the marijuana was already not doing much even when i started percocet, thats why only on the percocet did i feel like im getting really high.. because i was in withdrawal each moment of the day that i did not have percocet in my system and the marijuana did nothing but calm down the withdrawal effects... but since i needed the upper effect the marijuana did not do that without the pills. i say this because on day 2 marijuana made my physical goosebumps/constant skin crawling/euphoric waves of chills go away.. but it made me more emotional and i cried for 6 hours that 2nd day .. and i attributed it to marijuana and vowed to stop smoking.. the next day i felt aweful physically.. on the 4th day i decided to smoke a little bit and the physical effects went away pretty much and i was again pretty emotional. Every day it has been getting better, except on day 8 i started to get a fever, not a high fever.. just a slight fever, enough to feel uncomfortable and achy. day 9 felt worse, my body was aching and fever was higher and through the whole day.. marijuana did help the physical effects a little but when your sick with a fever and you smoke it doesnt really help too much. Im not advocating starting smoking marijuana if you did not so in the past, but as for cancer patients marijuana helps with the physical withdrawal effects.

My hands stop sweating and my armpits are not running , not to mention no goosebumps or anything... but i get choked up more about things, but also smile at dumb stuff a little. but that is also the endorphines in my brain comming back and the receptors not being numbed.. so its a crazy time.

So to sum up, suboxone is a viable option for people in certain situations.. but like anything moderation and tapering needs to be done as quick as possible depending on the original addiction. I cannot speak for methadone users or >>>>>> users, but percocet messes the body up just like everything else, even pregnant women have these withdrawal symptoms. but their called pregnancy and pms. They get hot flashes/fever/body aches... same as when you get a FLU or any virus, your body pushes it out the way it is used to getting rid of problems.

Be strong and consult a certified opiate doctor to atleast make sure you have choices.. dont make any decisions based solely on the forums.. each person is different. I was afraid to stay on subox too long and cold turkeyed too soon...so we make bad decisions thinking they are good decisions sometimes, get all the info you can before you make the choice. BUT THE FACT THAT YOU FOUND THIS FORUM IS A BIGGER STEP THAN ANY DOCTOR CAN DO FOR YOU, the doctor has never had withdrawal, and if he has he wont tell you. But he has knowledge about you and your body that none of us on this forum can know about you.

The problem is that the word DRUGS encompasses marijuana/alcohol >>>>>>/COCAINE and pharmacueticals. And we all subconciously decide that >>>>>>/cocaine is much worse than pharmacueticals because marijuana/alcohol is nowhere near any of those things. But the loss in profit from pharmacuetical companies if designations and stereotypes changed would be drastic... not to mention the prison system which is fed by the war on DRUGS, not the war on why people TAKE DRUGS to begin with. You should not be able to say, HARDER DRUGS ... but that is exactly what we are teaching our children when ALCOHOL/MARIJUANA is a DRUG and they see its like a dangerous sport they are told not to play.. and realize its not so dangerous once nothing BAD happens.. and work your way up. Not a single person under 21 even knows what addiction is unless it is RAMPANT and really effecting their lives, and that is something that is caused by misinformation and misperceptions. People are easy to fault what they do not control, when it is what they control that they should be blaming.

i dunno why but thats that, gonna try eat something for lunch.

Stay strong and dont be afraid.

yezdegerd is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by noneed99 View Post
    dont be afraid of suboxone, most of the people that have problems with it have been on it for longer than Robert325 recommends.

If you can take a month to detox and not have contact with people when you dont want it (and that is probably the whole first 2 weeks) then maybe you can go without suboxone. I did not have that choice.. i was working fulltime and had to be at work on monday, and it was a thursday that i went to the doctor and confessed to everyone and myself that i was an addict.

It also gave me the strength to live without wanting the original drug, subox did not get me HIGH, and slowly the tapering was getting lower and lower, maybe i should have done it quicker.. but the plan with the doctor was.. Taper as the patient feels.. so only when i was comfortable did i lower my doses... alot had to do with temperature/weather and how work was going. Had i found Roberts plan when i started or in the first months of subox i think things would be very different today. I know there are horror stories, but there are also success stories, and people in the same situations having inverse results and relapsing.

I stopped percocet first time after doing them from 18 - 21 at a 1-3 max per day, the withdrawals were severe but lasted very short and i didnt even think it was the percocet but rather my laziness and emotional issues.. but it was withdrawals from percocet as i did not know when i was younger, plus i was younger and my body could take more of a beating and rebound quicker. Now im 27 and on day 8 i started to get a fever that made me very uncomfortable, but today day 10 seems like the fever is there but not making me as uncomfortable as it did in the past 2 days. i read that after 2 yers of subox if you taper correctly you dont have as severe issues as i am now, but they last about a month.. after they really really subside. People that i read who did subox for a short timem and tapered to a lower dosage than what i cold turkeyed off of had a much easier time. I took 1mg subox mornings for 6 months prior to stopping cold turkey, it was a rash stupid decision but now i dont want to step backwards and take another subox, no matter how small.. and i have had recommendations not to since im on day 10... if on day 1-3 its severe then take .25mg and wait a few days and doit again and wait longer between taking that dose.. and it tapers you much better.

Suboxone was an option because rehab was not. If i could detox for weeks without having to think about anything other than it i might have been able to do this addiction fix without subox, but it just was not an option at the time.

Dont be afraid of suboxone.. talk to robert and he can definately make things easier on your recovery.

The only issue is that while the withdrawal symptoms are serious and while i was on the subox/percocet my thinking was not straight... i feel so much more clear that if i believed humans have a soul i could call it "my soul is back" and i dont want to numb it again with even a small dose of subox. So any decision you may be making right now could be made incorrect because you are not thinking straight.. just like i was not thinking straight when the tapering plan was in effect because i thought i might not be able to taper when i really could have. ( i read a religious persons opiate/subox recovery and thats what they said and it stuck in my mind because the first 2 days off suboxone i could smell/taste/breathe/everything in a way that i hadnt felt in a long time. But that is because suboxone numbs the receptors from getting ipiate high, it just levels them out so you dont have uncomfortable withdrawal.)

I dont know what i mean, i just want you to not be afraid of suboxone, it might be the best way to prevent a relapse and keep you functioning and comfortable as a human being in the situation that is unique to you.

For instance because i smoked marijuana before my addiction and during it, i tried it when stopping subox.. you only get 5% high from marijuana no matter how much you smoke when you are on subox therapy... since percocet already numbed my body and the receptors were going insane craving opiate... the marijuana was already not doing much even when i started percocet, thats why only on the percocet did i feel like im getting really high.. because i was in withdrawal each moment of the day that i did not have percocet in my system and the marijuana did nothing but calm down the withdrawal effects... but since i needed the upper effect the marijuana did not do that without the pills. i say this because on day 2 marijuana made my physical goosebumps/constant skin crawling/euphoric waves of chills go away.. but it made me more emotional and i cried for 6 hours that 2nd day .. and i attributed it to marijuana and vowed to stop smoking.. the next day i felt aweful physically.. on the 4th day i decided to smoke a little bit and the physical effects went away pretty much and i was again pretty emotional. Every day it has been getting better, except on day 8 i started to get a fever, not a high fever.. just a slight fever, enough to feel uncomfortable and achy. day 9 felt worse, my body was aching and fever was higher and through the whole day.. marijuana did help the physical effects a little but when your sick with a fever and you smoke it doesnt really help too much. Im not advocating starting smoking marijuana if you did not so in the past, but as for cancer patients marijuana helps with the physical withdrawal effects.

My hands stop sweating and my armpits are not running , not to mention no goosebumps or anything... but i get choked up more about things, but also smile at dumb stuff a little. but that is also the endorphines in my brain comming back and the receptors not being numbed.. so its a crazy time.

So to sum up, suboxone is a viable option for people in certain situations.. but like anything moderation and tapering needs to be done as quick as possible depending on the original addiction. I cannot speak for methadone users or >>>>>> users, but percocet messes the body up just like everything else, even pregnant women have these withdrawal symptoms. but their called pregnancy and pms. They get hot flashes/fever/body aches... same as when you get a FLU or any virus, your body pushes it out the way it is used to getting rid of problems.

Be strong and consult a certified opiate doctor to atleast make sure you have choices.. dont make any decisions based solely on the forums.. each person is different. I was afraid to stay on subox too long and cold turkeyed too soon...so we make bad decisions thinking they are good decisions sometimes, get all the info you can before you make the choice. BUT THE FACT THAT YOU FOUND THIS FORUM IS A BIGGER STEP THAN ANY DOCTOR CAN DO FOR YOU, the doctor has never had withdrawal, and if he has he wont tell you. But he has knowledge about you and your body that none of us on this forum can know about you.

The problem is that the word DRUGS encompasses marijuana/alcohol >>>>>>/COCAINE and pharmacueticals. And we all subconciously decide that >>>>>>/cocaine is much worse than pharmacueticals because marijuana/alcohol is nowhere near any of those things. But the loss in profit from pharmacuetical companies if designations and stereotypes changed would be drastic... not to mention the prison system which is fed by the war on DRUGS, not the war on why people TAKE DRUGS to begin with. You should not be able to say, HARDER DRUGS ... but that is exactly what we are teaching our children when ALCOHOL/MARIJUANA is a DRUG and they see its like a dangerous sport they are told not to play.. and realize its not so dangerous once nothing BAD happens.. and work your way up. Not a single person under 21 even knows what addiction is unless it is RAMPANT and really effecting their lives, and that is something that is caused by misinformation and misperceptions. People are easy to fault what they do not control, when it is what they control that they should be blaming.

i dunno why but thats that, gonna try eat something for lunch.

Stay strong and dont be afraid.
    Suboxone should be a last resort option. For some it can be done, for others they find themselves taking an even stronger drug and have a harder time quitting. I've been on subs for over 6 months, HATE them, have no want or need for opiates, yet everyday I have to take a dose or I'm bedridden. If it's done to a T according to Robert's taper plan then you have a shot, but 1 extra dose, or a bad induction or anything of the sort then you'll just be in a far worse spot then you were before. Best of luck to you

noneed99 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by yezdegerd View Post
    Suboxone should be a last resort option. For some it can be done, for others they find themselves taking an even stronger drug and have a harder time quitting. I've been on subs for over 6 months, HATE them, have no want or need for opiates, yet everyday I have to take a dose or I'm bedridden. If it's done to a T according to Robert's taper plan then you have a shot, but 1 extra dose, or a bad induction or anything of the sort then you'll just be in a far worse spot then you were before. Best of luck to you
    definately right, thats how i felt on the subs, like i didnt need them and not a single day did i think of percocets because i felt better on the subs.

You say last resort, but what other option is there besides
    A: taking time off from work or life to detox
    B: suboxone and keep functioning and supporting your family and life..

last resort sounds scary just by its definition.. i think its more the only alternative to stay on your feet during the recovery and function day to day.

i got same thing, if i stopped sub or perc i got bad fever and was unable to even move around. I think i stopped sub too early and tapered too slow so the effects im feeling are more severe than they should be, but i cant imagine how this recovery would have been had i went straight from my perc addiction to recovery.. subox maybe the reason why from the first day taking it you felt like you didnt want any opiate anymore and hated it (thats what its supposed to do so it worked, and i think most relapses go back to their original drug of choice).. otherwise breakdown or who knows what.

not going against what your saying, just incase someone reads LAST CHOICE and doesnt read anything else anywhere .. make the decision based on a physicians information and rely on yourself and this forum, it really does help.. even if you dont follow the recommendations to the T, you may have a case that someone is looking to identify with but so far couldnt. Information saves i believe, if i had the info i know now, i would have never touched pharmaceuticals. Afterall when i was in school drugs were >>>>>> CRACK COCAINE AND MARIJUANA.. i hope schools teach differently than they used to.

jboss10 is offline Member

From my own experience, Suboxone for the first year was wonderful. Until, i was knocked off the wagon from my Doctor who had no insight on this. I truly believe this guy was in for all my money, asked me how school was and how i was feeling and sent me out the door with my RX. This is wrapped me up in the world of buying these things off anyone I could. It's such a touchy touchy subject and you really should weigh your options. I believe that the Suboxone route really mentally helps you stay away from your drug of choice. I was heavy on Dilaudid 8mg before I went onto Suboxone so I think it was a good place for me. Like someone said above me it's good for those who are heavily addicted to meds or >>>>>>.

Don't get scarred of people's stories, a lot of us were on it WAY too long and didn't know it. We go by what our so-called "doctor" told us. It is very doable to get off Suboxone, but tends to be a long process. I mean none of these things are easy but there are EASIER ways out of them.

Stuff that helped me:
    1. Water and more of it. I drank a lot of tea too for the first two weeks.
    2. Potassium, I got mostly from Gatorade.
    3. 5-HTP will help regulate the seritonin (sp?)
    4. HOT BATHS, took many throughout the day, helps RLS
    5. I took Hyland's RL, did I notice a difference, eh, not really. I think helped me out more mentally.
    6. I walked a TON. 3-4 times a day, but very short bursts.
    7. Talking, and like Ryan said (Kickin') this forum was a God send to me. I think a lot can vouch on this one.
    8. Try to keep busy. It's extremely hard because your thoughts are everywhere but try to be somewhat productive.

Stuff that hindered me:
    1. Sitting, and thinking. This wore me down the most and made me feel extremely depressed through the first week. It's hard to get up and do stuff but you have to try. You have to get your mind working.
    2. The winter lol. The snowy weather really crippled me but nothing you can do there.

Good luck, really! When you are ready, let us know what you decided to do. Everyone here will help you make the best decision.

-Jboss

yezdegerd is offline Senior Member

The difference between sub detox and perc detox? About a month. Give me the 3-5 day IR pill detox anyday

Jmarket is offline Junior Member

Subs are very tricky, and if you are not careful you can end up much worse off than you are now..

I started on Sub 2 years ago, then I ditched the sub and went back on Oxy, but now I am back on the Sub. It has been about 6 months and I am almost finished with my taper off of this stuff.

It has been very difficult getting of the sub, but I didn't have the guidance that you have available here.

If you decide to use suboxone, I recommend you use a very SHORT TERM taper plan and get off ASAP..

It can be very effective if you do it right.

Good luck & God Bless
    "Put your pain in a box.. LOCK IT DOWN.. No man is stronger or more dangerous than one who can harness his emotions."

jvicker is offline New Member

I was being tapered off by my pain doc and came up a week short on my script. The reason is hat the spinal cord stim I had installed did most of the trick. I also take Norco and lyrica but the methadone was killing me. that's the one I kept running short on each month. at this point I knew it was no longer needed for pain. I'm day 8 cold turkey and feel ok except I cannot sleep at all. make sure you have family support if you go this route. it is the single most difficult thing I've ever done. hot/cold, the runs, no appetite, rls bad, spasms, headaches, shaking, etc etc. no turning back now. I will never put that demon in my body again. it was a necessary evil for so long after failed spinal fusion surgeries and chronic nerve pain. the implant is working wonders so I don't want to me on anything eventually. next is the Norco which I have already been tapering from. this is and can be living hell. just stay strong and keep your mind busy. I can see this light finally. thank god for a good employer as well. I have been off a week and hope to work Monday is I can string enough sleep together. good luck all. this is not easey.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

You are one brave person. Going cold turkey from methadone is one of the worst w/d's anyone can go through. I would never ever recommend doing this, but I'm glad you stuck it out and are coming out the other side. Sleep is usually the last thing to come back. but if you are still taking the norco that may help some. Congratulations on moving forward from the methadone.

lindenx is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by jvicker View Post
    I was being tapered off by my pain doc and came up a week short on my script. The reason is hat the spinal cord stim I had installed did most of the trick. I also take Norco and lyrica but the methadone was killing me. that's the one I kept running short on each month. at this point I knew it was no longer needed for pain. I'm day 8 cold turkey and feel ok except I cannot sleep at all. make sure you have family support if you go this route. it is the single most difficult thing I've ever done. hot/cold, the runs, no appetite, rls bad, spasms, headaches, shaking, etc etc. no turning back now. I will never put that demon in my body again. it was a necessary evil for so long after failed spinal fusion surgeries and chronic nerve pain. the implant is working wonders so I don't want to me on anything eventually. next is the Norco which I have already been tapering from. this is and can be living hell. just stay strong and keep your mind busy. I can see this light finally. thank god for a good employer as well. I have been off a week and hope to work Monday is I can string enough sleep together. good luck all. this is not easey.
    Thanks for your post here; I am currently on Day 2 of Hydrocodone withdrawal and it is no fun. I have very bad anxiety (probably the worst of it) and am assured that by Day 4 I should start feeling a little better. That still leaves the rest of today and tomorrow (I shudder to think) and time is passing very slowly.