Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Anonymous
  • 1 Post By rxqueen83
Been witnessing a lot of people I know switching from meth to sub on high dose
    pgcc is offline Member

Default Been witnessing a lot of people I know switching from meth to sub on high dose

I've done so much research, I want to get off methadone so bad I think I have read everything and what I am seeing is just not matching up with what I have been reading. I've seen someone switch from 100mgs of methadone to suboxone 8mgs w/ little discomfort. Also, seen many people switch in the 50-80 range and are ok. The peolpe who seem to be having the problems and the horror stories I hear usually deal with taking suboxone/subutex too soon. It seems like the most important thing is you are in withdrawal fully before taking the suboxone. I want to switch and I am on 45mgs been trying to get to 30mgs but I'm starting to think it not necessary. There is a hospital in my area that will switch you, they put you on too much suboxone but you can deal with that when released, they switch a friend from 80mgs to 24mgs of suboxone over 9 days, he is fine although the 24mgs was way too much and he is now taking 8mgs What does everyone think of this? I am a novice like I said have read a whole lot but I'm not sure what I'm reading is exactly accurate.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

I'm not sure what the protocol is for switching to methadone on 45mgs. I do know that methadone has a long half-life. You need to hang in here until Someone like Robert talks to you about what to do. You can go to featured conditions and read his sub taper in the sticky. Anyhow, I'm posting to you so that your thread stays up at the top.

Peace,

Iloerose

pgcc is offline Member

Thanks, maybe there is no "right" answer, everyone is different. But from what I have seen with my own eyes the 30mg of methadone a day rule doesn't seem set in stone.However, you have to be sick and the person I know who switched on 100mgs had to wait more than 4 days before taking the suboxone.

MP5
    MP5 is offline Member

There are few things in this world " set in stone".

Some good info here.
    http://www.drugs.com/forum/need-talk...one-61817.html

Mike

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by pgcc View Post
    I've done so much research, I want to get off methadone so bad I think I have read everything and what I am seeing is just not matching up with what I have been reading. I've seen someone switch from 100mgs of methadone to suboxone 8mgs w/ little discomfort. Also, seen many people switch in the 50-80 range and are ok. The peolpe who seem to be having the problems and the horror stories I hear usually deal with taking suboxone/subutex too soon. It seems like the most important thing is you are in withdrawal fully before taking the suboxone. I want to switch and I am on 45mgs been trying to get to 30mgs but I'm starting to think it not necessary. There is a hospital in my area that will switch you, they put you on too much suboxone but you can deal with that when released, they switch a friend from 80mgs to 24mgs of suboxone over 9 days, he is fine although the 24mgs was way too much and he is now taking 8mgs What does everyone think of this? I am a novice like I said have read a whole lot but I'm not sure what I'm reading is exactly accurate.

It's ideal to be at 30mg of methadone but I've inducted people at a little higher if there was a reason that couldn't be helped. Main thing is that you score at least a 26 on the COWS (clinical opioid w/d scale) worksheet. That can take you three days or so after you stop the methadone before starting subs. If you start too soon you'll go into precipitated w/d and nothing is worse!! Here is a link to the worksheet at the end of this reply. I can induct anyone at 4mg or less if they will do what I say. God bless.

http://www.drugs.com/resources/opioi...wal-record.pdf
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

pgcc is offline Member

I read your induction is there anything else I have to do?

NO. It's just imperative that you do it right, if not you'll be sick as hell. I'll help you if you want me to and you'll end up with good results. Get the subs, wait out the 26 score, and then I'll induct you. I guarantee that I can induct you at a lower dose than anyone you'll find anywhere and you'll end up feeling perfect. I've done this a few times before. It's up to you. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Anonymous Guest

yup. just dont switch too early. i lied to clinic, was actually taking more methadone than i had said, they didnt do a cows sheet, and i went into precipitated withdrawl, on 12mg of subs... i was VERY sick for over 2 days solid, in bed, clothes on, could not do a thing till it passed...

just dont make that mistake, subs are a GREAT tool to get off methadone. and on to FREEDOM.
    Robert_325, iloerose and surfdog like this.

pgcc is offline Member

Definitly, I need to go to my doctor next sat. and get the pills, then I'll listen to you.

Quote Originally Posted by pgcc View Post
    Definitly, I need to go to my doctor next sat. and get the pills, then I'll listen to you.

You don't want to let the dr start dosing you in the office. Need to play the game here. Tell him you're not sure how you'll react to the subs and you're afraid to take them till you get home, you're not in enough w/d yet and you want to be home, you don't want to drive on them until you see how they make you feel, say what you've got to say to get the script for a month and get out of there. It's fine if he prescribes a dose like 16mg a day, as long as he gives you the script and let's you leave. Then we can do it together and you'll NEVER have to go back to the dr again. Don't get into the deal where you have to see the dr every week or he'll bleed you for money. Use your addict brain like we've all done to outsmart him and get the prescription. Promise to do it exactly like he says when you get home, whatever it takes to get the script and get out of there. Just don't say you're working with some fruitcake from the internet or the sub dr will tell you I'm an idiot when he has no idea. God bless.

pgcc is offline Member

The dr I see will give me the pills but he is notorious for prescribing like a week at a time or someting like it. I have an appt and hes the only dr. I can find that will take my insurance and will let me leave w/ suboxone. If I have to I will have to go back.

pgcc is offline Member

what about me being on 45mgs?

Is this going to make a difference? From what I have seen It shouldn't but what do you think, are my chances of failure high being on more than 30mgs? I would rather wait and do it right although waiting has consequences for me.

//

Try to taper it down as much as you can. I'll handle it from there as long as you do what I ask you to do.

pgcc is offline Member

ok be in touch

rxqueen83 is offline Member

A fruit cake from the internet! Ha ha, love that!
    Robert_325 likes this.

vicky'L is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    Try to taper it down as much as you can. I'll handle it from there as long as you do what I ask you to do.
    Hi Robert, I've been reading what advice you've given, I know you've read my posts and know my situation, about me going to detox, I asked about subs but the question was instantly dismissed, saying i don't need them, I'm going to detox so just stick with the methadone! If I really kicked off and demanded subs they have to help me. Do you think this is a far more easier and less painfully way for me to kick this addiction once & for all, or just go to detox do my rattle & jobs a good un??