Been on subutex for 3 weeks...some questions
    justmex4 is offline Junior Member

Default Been on subutex for 3 weeks...some questions

Hi, I've been on subutex for about 3 weeks now. And am either regretting my decision to go on it or are just missing the pills I used to take. Right now I think I really miss my old pills. I was partial to Oxycodone.....never thought this would be this hard. I'm going to a party tonight and would like to have at least one drink. I've never had a problem with drinking. I'd just like to have one drink to feel somewhat normal at the party with my friends. But I'm scared to, because you're not supposed to drink while on Subutex. This just sucks. Sorry...I'm just having a really bad day.

AnnieC50 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by justmex4 View Post
    Hi, I've been on subutex for about 3 weeks now. And am either regretting my decision to go on it or are just missing the pills I used to take. Right now I think I really miss my old pills. I was partial to Oxycodone.....never thought this would be this hard. I'm going to a party tonight and would like to have at least one drink. I've never had a problem with drinking. I'd just like to have one drink to feel somewhat normal at the party with my friends. But I'm scared to, because you're not supposed to drink while on Subutex. This just sucks. Sorry...I'm just having a really bad day.
    Justmex.....I am certainly not an expert on this...I have only been on subs for 2 weeks but in my opinion I would err on the side of not drinking. Unless someone with more knowledge says differently I would not do it. Of course you miss your old pills but that is a mental thing. Hang in there, you are doing well. I know its difficult to be around your friends when you are not using but they will probably enjoy your company more because they will be seeing the real you probably for the first time in a long time. Keep up the good work Justmex and maybe try to find an NA meeting in your area to be around people that know how you feel...Just a thought....Have fine at your party.

Annie

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

Sorry to hear you're going through a rough time, but congrats on the progress you've made with overcoming this addiction. Drinking with suboxone is a big mistake, I agree. But there's something more you need to know. Once a person has become addicted to any mood-altering, addictive drug - they can not safely take any others - including alcohol. I know you didn't have an alcohol problem in the past, but you are completely vulnerable to developing one now, free of your drug of choice. It's like our addictive brains can not tell the difference between drugs - putting anything "mood-altering" in us will trigger our addictive thinking.

Yes, you will miss the pills at times, especially early on into recovery. That's only natural, and no cause for alarm. We tend to minimize how "bad" our lives became while we were using, and tend to "glorify" how good it once felt. I call it "romancing the drug!" Don't kid yourself, the good feelings are gone quickly - and we're back into the nighmare once again.

In addition, once we have a drink, we feel that little glow, feel less stressed or inhibited, and it's all too easy to slip right back into the pills. Drinking will set you up for a host of problems; I strongly urge you to clean away from anything that can and will quickly topple into a relapse.

God bless,
    Ruth

Default Thanks

Thank you both for your replies. I went to the party and did not have a drink. I was too scared of the interaction with the Subutex. Nobody but my husband knows of my drug addiction. So I feel more than alone in this. My husband works 12 hours a day, goes to college, so I don't want to burden him with what I'm going through. Even though I know he would make the time to talk. I just don't want to worry him anymore than he already is. But I think because he sees me going thru the daily activities in life, that he thinks I'm fine. But I'm not. I have so much turmoil inside me right now I can't even begin to describe it. I've managed to continue working since I started my journey with Subutex, still playing my roles as mom to 2 children and everything that entails. But I am absolutely dying inside. I don't know how to describe it, and I can't talk to anyone about it. I supposedly have a "detox coach" thru the program I signed up thru. But it has never been made clear to me exactly how much I can call them or what they are supposed to do to help me short of providing the Subutex. The first 2 weeks she was on the phone with me 2-3 times a day. Now I can't get her to answer. I called yesterday because I was doing really bad, I only received her voice mail and left her a message and still haven't heard back from her. I paid a lot of money for this program and feel that I should be getting some kind of support from it. I guess I need to clarify that the next time I talk to her.

I'm so sorry, I've been rambling. I've just got so much that I need help with right now that I am going in circles, obviously with writing also!! Thank you for all that read and I apologize for the length!!

Thank you

Default How long do the cravings last?

Like I previously said, I've been on Subutex for 3 weeks now, so without my pills for 3 weeks. The cravings are getting worse, how long will this last? I realize it's different for everyone, but generally speaking. Right now I just don't feel like I have the strength to get thru this.

Swanie is offline Member

Can you get an earlier appt. with your "detox coach?" I can feel your frustration
    and your need for some timely help here. I've not been on Subs, but I've been
    on opiates for many years and today I'm starting my 6th week of being off methadone.
    It seems like you do need to have that talk with your husband. You said he'd
    make the time for that, and wouldn't you want the same if the situation was reversed?
    Congratulations on not taking a drink at that party. Sometimes fear is the greatest
    motivator. Hope things start to get better for you soon!

sisterwin2 is offline Senior Member

I can share my experience with drinking while on sub.

I was never drinker at all.. I would have a beer with crabs or if someone brewed their own i would have a glass.. (never like the home made brew, ha). But I was on sub for about 3 weeks a the time I think... it was a few yrs ago. I went out with my friends to have crabs. I didn't even think about it when we order the beer to come with the crabs.

I began eating the crabs and had a about 1/2 of the beer... I couldn't keep my eyes opened. Before I finished the beer I was slurring my words... I got very nauseous. I could barley make it to the car. Now I was on extremely high doses and this may of had something to do with it for sure. I don't know.. I did attempt again that summer with light beer.. same thing happen and this time I was on low dose.. well considering what I was on. I never tried again.

Not saying this will happen to you but... floored me.

Good luck on your recovery processs. For me it was all or nothing. I tried to go half way for two many yrs and it never turned out right.. I ended up back to dope. Just not worth it in my eyes to tempt fate.. kwim?

Default JustmeX4

First off I want to congratulate you for NOT having a drink last night...Good for you! I also wanted to say that I am sorry you are so down. Please remember that there are a lot of people on these boards day and night, willing to talk to you especially when you have no where else to turn. I am concerned that you are having such major cravings even on the Subs...How much of the subs are you taking? I don't think you mentioned that in your previous post. I have been on subs for 2 weeks now and I am experiencing no cravings at all and I think that is the way its supposed to be...Maybe you are not taking enough, I don't know, I am not an expert. Let us know how much you are taking and maybe Robert can help you with this...

Annie

oneistoomany is offline Member

Hi justmex-- I am so sorry you are feeling so badly. I thought one of the advantages of taking Sub is that the cravings go away. You sound so down. Post, post and post here. It helps to write it all down sometimes. If your detox coach has a supervisor, I would call them and get a new one. I wish I could do something to put a smile on your face.

Welcome!!
    Becky

Default Thank you, thank you, thank you to all of you

It's so nice to know that there are even strangers out there who want to help me. It's very comforting. My coach called me on Sunday and had me come in for a session. It did help some. I am taking 3 8mg Subs a day, so 24mg. I don't know if that's considered a high dose or not. But I do know that they're not interested in increasing it!! I feel much better today. I think I just need to come to terms with the fact that my life with the pills is over. I didn't realize how much of a part of my life they were. I didn't realize how much of my time was spent thinking about them, taking them, thinking about the next time I was going to take them, how many I was going to take, when I had to get more etc. BTW I was on Oxy's and Vicodins. Between the two I was taking 8 a day. I had slowly increased my dose over the span of 3 years. The last year was when it just got out of control.

I was also able to talk to my husband Saturday night. I need to learn to rely on him more and to stop trying to do this on my own. He is there for me, even if he's working so much!! Just when I'm scared to tell him how bad it is, he surprises me and is fully understanding.

Ok, I have to get ready for work. Thank you again for everyone's support. I will definitely be utilizing this website more!

Thanks

It's so nice to know that there are even strangers out there who want to help me. It's very comforting. My coach called me on Sunday and had me come in for a session. It did help some. I am taking 3 8mg Subs a day, so 24mg. I don't know if that's considered a high dose or not. But I do know that they're not interested in increasing it!! I feel much better today. I think I just need to come to terms with the fact that my life with the pills is over. I didn't realize how much of a part of my life they were. I didn't realize how much of my time was spent thinking about them, taking them, thinking about the next time I was going to take them, how many I was going to take, when I had to get more etc. BTW I was on Oxy's and Vicodins. Between the two I was taking 8 a day. I had slowly increased my dose over the span of 3 years. The last year was when it just got out of control.

I was also able to talk to my husband Saturday night. I need to learn to rely on him more and to stop trying to do this on my own. He is there for me, even if he's working so much!! Just when I'm scared to tell him how bad it is, he surprises me and is fully understanding.

Ok, I have to get ready for work. Thank you again for everyone's support. I will definitely be utilizing this website more!

Thanks
    Justmex, I hope you had a great day at work and I am happy your are feeling better. Again, I am not an expert but from what I have read on this forum, 24 mgs per day is way too much. When it comes to subs, less is more. As an example, I was taking 30 (sometimes more) per day of Norco 10/325 mg. I started on subs 2 weeks ago and my doctor put me on 6 mgs per day and even 6 mgs per day is considered a lot. After just 2 weeks following Roberts plan for tapering, I am now on 3.5mgs per day and I feel great!! Have you seen Roberts plan on this sight? If not I strongly suggest you read it. I also suggest that you consider reaching out to Robert_325 on this forum. If you ask him for help he will give it to you....He has help thousands of people with subs and he will help you too if you ask.

As far as missing the pills, counting the pills etc....There is sort of a ritual that we go thru when we are using and you described it perfectly above. It is part of the addiction so when we stop we not only miss the high but we also miss the ritual we established when getting high. Does that make sense? Its a normal feeling and something you have to work through in your recovery. Good luck to you and keep up the good work.

Annie

oneistoomany is offline Member

I hope you had a good day and are feeling better. I am happy you talked to your husband and that your coach called finally.

I have never been on subs, but from what I have read 24mgs is a high dose and that may be the reason why you feel so awful on them.

Robert helps people on Sub, maybe read some of his posts?

Take Care~
    Becky

newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

24 mgs. of sub of day is a VERY VERY high dose. It can make you feel miserable. With sub, less is more. Doctors are really uninformed. Also, sub should not be taken more than 2x a day. Many of us on sub take it once a day. It has a long half life, 36-72 hours, so 3x a day is way too much. I can tell you this. I was an addict for many years, was started on 16 mg., felt awful until I brought myself way down. Did not feel normal til I got down to around 6 mg. Just a thought. You are taking too much sub.

Anonymous Guest

oh dear, yup you are on too much
    i was on methadone iv, yes iv, over 100mg a day, and i was a user of all sorts of iv opiates for 20 plus years
    and i started on 12mg of sub.

you are on far too much, the cravings should be well over by now, after 2 days on 12mg i dropped to 10 coz i couldnt sleep and felt wired to the max.

i bet you are having sleep issues and all sorts.

my best advice, havin been there done that is to drop one of them 8mg pills off per day, and see how you feel.

subs definately take away the cravings, for opiates, thats true.

im now clean for 7 weeks, and was on sub for 1 year 3 months, the last 8 months i was on .5mg and was scared to come off...

its a head decision, if you really want to get off, you will..

good luck

cheeky
    kiwi