Back Surgery?
    dalejrfan71 is offline Member

Question Back Surgery?

Hi everyone, I went to see my doctor yesterday because my back is getting worse. I have a condition called Spinal Stenosis where my lower spinal cord is being squeezed by excess bone growth in the lower spinal canal. Because my lower spinal cord is being squeezed I am also having nerve pain due to the fact that my sciatic nerve is being squeezed as well.

My pain level has been 8 out of 10 for the past month. He referred me to a orthopedic surgeon to see if surgery can help. I got a letter yesterday in the mail saying that I have to see a physiotherapist who will assess me to see if I am a good candidate for surgery.

Her fee is $150 to see her, but if I see her she can speed up the wait time to see the surgeon. The surgeon's name is Dr. Brett Dunlop, the wait time is 9 to 12 months. If the physiotherapist says I am am in urgent need for surgery, the wait time can be 1 - 2 weeks.

The physiotherapist, Laurie McLaughlin PT has a doctorate in Advanced Practice Orthopaedic Physiotherapy, she also specializes in spinal care. My pain is getting so bad that my pain medications barely work anymore. I am currently taking Hydromorph Contin 24mg, Cesamet 1mg and Motrin 400mg when needed. For the nerve pain I am taking St. John's Wort which is the only thing working.

My doctor just put me on Rhovane 7.5mg at bedtime to help me sleep. My pain got so bad that I didn't sleep for a week. It got so bad that I had to sleep on the couch because the only way I could get comfortable was to sleep sitting on the couch.

My wife watches me suffering in pain and she feels so helpless but I say to her that she is helping me just by loving me, giving me moral support in times when I get down and beat myself up for my condition. I am currently not working because of my condition I can't stand or sit for long periods of time. I also can't lift anything heavier than 10 lbs.

I also can't drive for long periods of time either as well it is possibly doing more damage to my back trying to get in my car because I have to get down to get in my car. I'm considering either trading in my car to get a small SUV which is higher up than my car, the other thing I am considering stopping driving permanently .

What are your opinions on what I posted? Should I pay the $150 to see that physiotherapist? Should I have the surgery or not? Should I trade in my car for a vehicle that is higher up or should I give up my license?

Your input and opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    If you want to live life on your own terms,
    You got to be willing to crash and burn

jammymommy is offline Senior Member

Dear Dale Jr. fan,
    I'm sorry no one has answered your post.
    You sound like you are in a bad way, and I want you to know I'm praying for you tonight. I don't know what you should do. I hate to hear that you're in so much pain, as I've been through terrible pain for many years. Your wife can be a really good resource at this time, as she is not being blinded by the pain - does she think you should spend the money? You obviously need to do something. Don't worry about the car right now - you're in no condition to drive anyway, right?

Please let us know what you've decided.
    jammy

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Patrick ..... you have posted this exact same post to both me and to melinda both and now again here. It's the identical post word for word. We have talked in detail about this. It hasn't been a matter of no one answering your posts. You know that we've always answered your posts since you first got to this forum. Melinda and I have never put you off on any questions.

I told you and Melinda agreed, plus I see NO WAY that it isnt worth $150 to get an immediate answer on this deal. You're driving yourself crazy writing the same post over and over again and I don't know what you expect to gain by that. Get to the dr who can give you an answer resulting in surgery within two weeks if it's something that will help you. Why would you even question this as to what you should do?

This new dr seems to be the person you need to see in order to get an answer that will help you. Spend the $150, which is nothing compared to the misery you've been through since you got here a long time ago. This seems like the first real chance you've had to get some immediate help. What is it that could possibly be making you post this three times the exact same post? Get to the dr dude and find out if they can help you and quit messing with this forum. Go get an answer from the dr.. Let us know what the dr tells you as we are interested in seeing you get relief. But you won't have that happen unless you go to the dr.

This is finally your chance for some help. Get to the dr and get an answer. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 07-09-2010 at 08:54 PM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

dalejrfan71 is offline Member

I' am going to see the physiotherapist on Wednesday July 14. I don't want to have surgery but I have no choice because my pain medications barely work anymore. Hopefully the surgeon can help me, I can't live in this much pain for the rest of my life. I'll keep you guys updated on what the surgeon says after my appointment.
    If you want to live life on your own terms,
    You got to be willing to crash and burn