Hi everyone, I went to see my doctor yesterday because my back is getting worse. I have a condition called Spinal Stenosis where my lower spinal cord is being squeezed by excess bone growth in the lower spinal canal. Because my lower spinal cord is being squeezed I am also having nerve pain due to the fact that my sciatic nerve is being squeezed as well.
My pain level has been 8 out of 10 for the past month. He referred me to a orthopedic surgeon to see if surgery can help. I got a letter yesterday in the mail saying that I have to see a physiotherapist who will assess me to see if I am a good candidate for surgery.
Her fee is $150 to see her, but if I see her she can speed up the wait time to see the surgeon. The surgeon's name is Dr. Brett Dunlop, the wait time is 9 to 12 months. If the physiotherapist says I am am in urgent need for surgery, the wait time can be 1 - 2 weeks.
The physiotherapist, Laurie McLaughlin PT has a doctorate in Advanced Practice Orthopaedic Physiotherapy, she also specializes in spinal care. My pain is getting so bad that my pain medications barely work anymore. I am currently taking Hydromorph Contin 24mg, Cesamet 1mg and Motrin 400mg when needed. For the nerve pain I am taking St. John's Wort which is the only thing working.
My doctor just put me on Rhovane 7.5mg at bedtime to help me sleep. My pain got so bad that I didn't sleep for a week. It got so bad that I had to sleep on the couch because the only way I could get comfortable was to sleep sitting on the couch.
My wife watches me suffering in pain and she feels so helpless but I say to her that she is helping me just by loving me, giving me moral support in times when I get down and beat myself up for my condition. I am currently not working because of my condition I can't stand or sit for long periods of time. I also can't lift anything heavier than 10 lbs.
I also can't drive for long periods of time either as well it is possibly doing more damage to my back trying to get in my car because I have to get down to get in my car. I'm considering either trading in my car to get a small SUV which is higher up than my car, the other thing I am considering stopping driving permanently .
What are your opinions on what I posted? Should I pay the $150 to see that physiotherapist? Should I have the surgery or not? Should I trade in my car for a vehicle that is higher up or should I give up my license?
Your input and opinions will be greatly appreciated.
If you want to live life on your own terms,
You got to be willing to crash and burn