Ativan for anxiety
    irishpoet is offline New Member

Default Ativan for anxiety

Hi everyone. I am relatively new to meds and definately new to forums, but wanted to share with you.
    Last year, I began having my stress take on physical forms-blood would rush to my head, I would start to shake, my heartbeat would race...ended up in the hospital to discover I had stress. So, the Dr puts me on 2 mg Ativan daily (that was 8 months ago). My prescription now has been upped to 3 mg a day, but I really only take it when I get physical symptoms. Therefore, maybe one pill, 3 or 4 times a week.
    My concern is, is this for life? My stress seems to be getting worse (as I age?) and I have tried "techniques" as stress is a physical thing that happens to you. These things sometimes work, but generally I find myself reaching for my pills. I don't really have an addictive personality, but my concern is what is this doing to my body? My liver? I have read horror stories. Can anyone relate or know anything else about this medicine?
    Thanks!
    Irish

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by irishpoet View Post
    Hi everyone. I am relatively new to meds and definately new to forums, but wanted to share with you.
    Last year, I began having my stress take on physical forms-blood would rush to my head, I would start to shake, my heartbeat would race...ended up in the hospital to discover I had stress. So, the Dr puts me on 2 mg Ativan daily (that was 8 months ago). My prescription now has been upped to 3 mg a day, but I really only take it when I get physical symptoms. Therefore, maybe one pill, 3 or 4 times a week.
    My concern is, is this for life? My stress seems to be getting worse (as I age?) and I have tried "techniques" as stress is a physical thing that happens to you. These things sometimes work, but generally I find myself reaching for my pills. I don't really have an addictive personality, but my concern is what is this doing to my body? My liver? I have read horror stories. Can anyone relate or know anything else about this medicine?
    Thanks!
    Irish

You really want to watch it with any of the benzos. They are more addictive than lots of the >>>>>> on the street. Like lots of others I started out just like you describe and it ended up being a 25 year addiction that put me in rehab, through seizures, all kinds of fun stuff. There is a medicinal place for ativan and other benzos, just be very careful.

Benzos are intended to be used for no more than a month or so at any time. If you take them much longer than that you will develop a dependency. There can be a quality of life issue where if we need something badly enough for stress/anxiety it seems that anything beats where we are so we take anything that will help. I understand, I've been there. Just be very careful and know you're going to become dependent on them if you use them on a daily basis FOR SURE. Good luck and God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 04-23-2009 at 10:36 AM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.