Aspirin overdose
    withwhomilivalie is offline Junior Member

Default Aspirin overdose

Hey does anyone know how many 325mg aspirin pills you would have to take to OD? I've been trying to find out how many mg you would have to take or SOMETHING but all I can find is like 10mg/kg and I don't know how to put that in a form that says about X number of pills will cause a serious overdose.
    I'm doing a paper for school on NSAIDS and that information would be very much appreciated from anyone who can help! Thanks a bunch.

-Katie

iggynthestooges is offline Junior Member

Hey Katie,
    I dont know the answer to your quesiton but I would love to know it myself! Someone asked me that question just 2 days before this post was up. I'll get back to you if I find anything. ^-^
    -Iggy

sweetchikk05 is offline Banned

Boy, what is it with you and asprin first your friend took 12 and was sick, then it was 16, now your writing a paper?? try to google and see what you come up with, oh wait I am sorry you dont like me I almost forgot does that mean I am not allowed to give you advice??

Liz Ann

withwhomilivalie is offline Junior Member

no I am greatful for any advice you would give me, liz ann..it was tylenol my friend took, not aspirin. I'm writing a paper on NSAIDS in general for my class. The only thing I've found on google was 150mg/kg of body weight and I don't know how in the world ot translate that into a rough # of pills. Someone told me they thought a lethal dose was around 30 pills. Does that sound right?

sweetchikk05 is offline Banned

This is the information I looked up and found for you, it says more than 20gms it potentionally fatal...I also did a little reasearch to try and convert it for you to see how many tablets that would be and I couldnt figure it out in tablets, I bet if you were to call a local pharmacy and ask them how many tablets of tylenol makes up 20 grams they may be able to help you but I will still give you the calculations that I came up with..
    20 grams= 20000milligrams
    20grams=0.70600 ounces
    20 grams=0.02000killigrams
    I wish I could figure out how many tablets that would be but I never was too good with that sort of math, I hope the information I found is useful to you.

Acetaminophen Maximun Dosage

Question: What is the toxic dosage of the acetaminophen? How many tablets are safe to take? What is the Lethal dosage? Also, If your tolerance increases, and you feel no effect from your current dose, Is it safe to increase or is the lethal dose the same regardless of your tolerance?

Answer: The daily limit of acetaminophen varies by weight and size. Some patients will experinece liver toxicity at lower doses than others. 10-15 gms can be hepatoxic and greater than 20 gm are potentially fatal. We usually don't recommend more than 3 gm a day. Higher sustained doses would require occasional liver function tests. Your tolerance to acetaminophen does not change. Your tolerance and ability to handle narcotics does. If you need more pain relief, increase the narcotics, not the acetaminophen.

heva_eyre is offline New Member

Default lethal dose of asprin is variale

150mg/kg means a 70kg man would need around 35 tablets
    and a 60 kg woman (9st ish) would need 30, for a child under 8st it would be less than 25 tablets

Heather

streetdoc1 is offline New Member

Default re: asprin overdose

If someone has not already answered your question regarding how many 325mg asprin it would take to OD this may help. A lethal dose of ASA is considered to be an amount that exceeds 500mg/kg. This calculates to approximately 1539 325mg tabs or 6173 81 mg tabs. This would be a lethal dose for a 100kg/220 lb. person.I hope this helps.
    Last edited by streetdoc1; 04-06-2009 at 08:27 AM. Reason: incomplete data

Kiyoraka is offline New Member

A lethal dose of Aspirin is 500 mg/kg of body weight.

Since 1 kg = 2.2 lb, divide body weight (in pounds) by 2.2 to find body weight in kilograms:

100 lbs / 2.2 = 45.45 kg
    120 lbs / 2.2 = 54.55 kg
    150 lbs / 2.2 = 68.18 kg
    220 lbs / 2.2 = 100.0 kg

Then, multiply body weight (in kg) by 500 to calculate the lethal dose:

45.45 kg x 500 = 22,725 mg
    54.55 kg x 500 = 27,275 mg
    68.18 kg x 500 = 34,080 mg
    100.0 kg x 500 = 50,000 mg

This lethal dose, divided by 325 mg, yields the number of 325 mg tablets in a lethal dose:

22,725 mg / 325 mg = 70 tablets
    27,275 mg / 325 mg = 84 tablets
    34,080 mg / 325 mg = 105 tablets
    50,000 mg / 325 mg = 154 tablets

pain8852 is offline New Member

Well, the doses previously mentioned are to tell how many would likely bring death from an overdose. However, it is not reccommended that anyone for any reason take more than 4 grams of aspirin(roughly 12 tablets if 325 mg). If anyone does ingest more than 6.5 grams of aspirin(20 or more tablets if 325 mg), it is suggested that this person seeks medical care. On a side note, however, I survived from 30 to 35 aspirin without any medical help. I do not suggest this in any way however. It will mess you up for days.

hamsterbytes54 is offline New Member

Default best answer

Quote Originally Posted by pain8852 View Post
    Well, the doses previously mentioned are to tell how many would likely bring death from an overdose. However, it is not reccommended that anyone for any reason take more than 4 grams of aspirin(roughly 12 tablets if 325 mg). If anyone does ingest more than 6.5 grams of aspirin(20 or more tablets if 325 mg), it is suggested that this person seeks medical care. On a side note, however, I survived from 30 to 35 aspirin without any medical help. I do not suggest this in any way however. It will mess you up for days.
    http://www.drugs.com/enc/aspirin-overdose.html Go here for the known best answer. no guessing. says 20 pills at 325 mg is what will take to severely overdose. so 30 is what I took, since I only had that many. threw in 10 Tylenol just to make sure.