Any Advise Would Be Great.
    rustic is offline New Member

Default Any Advise Would Be Great.

I Am A 55 Yr Old Male That Is Trying To Quit Oxycotin. I Have Taken Oxycotin For Better Then 8 Years At Around 400mg A Day, Not Thur Iv. I Started Taken 40 Mg A Day Of Methadone Two Wks Ago At Which Time I Stopped The Oxy. I Have A Supply Of 4 Mg Suboxon And Am Unsure Of How To Start Taking Them Or What To Look Out For.

Any Advise Would Be Great.

Ladylee is offline New Member

Rustic
    How ya doing? Right now Im on subutex and let me tell you, I got addicted to it and having a terrible time trying to get off it. Maybe tapering off the methadone would be better for you. Is your goal to be drug free? Do you have pain? Sub doesnt really help with pain. Ive read elsewhere that you need to get down to 30 mgs of methadone before you switch to sub. And you have to be very careful because if you take the sub too soon on top of methadone you will go into terrible w/ds. I hope someone comes on and can direct you better! good luck--Ladylee

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

You need to be very careful here if you want to go on the suboxone!!!!You should try and wean down from the methadone first and see if you can stay clean that way.
    If you start to suffer withdrawls and or/cravings then you can start the suboxone.
    You need to be in full withdrawls before you start the suboxone,do not take methadone and then start the suboxone the next day or you will suffer terrible withdrawls.You haven't been taking the methadone for to long so on your last dose wait at least 48-72 hour before taking the suboxone.
    Suboxone is unlike any opiate you have tyaken,the saying is "less is more" so try 4 mgs under your tongue (let it totally dissolve under your tongue).You should start to feel better within 15-30 minutes.
    Most people take subopxone one to twice a day with the average dose being 8-12mgs/day.
    You weren't on a huge amount of oxycodone(oxycontin) so hopefully you can get away with just weaning off the methadone..Good luck to you....Dave

Default Hi Ladylee And Mpvt,

Hi Ladylee And Mpvt,

First Off Yes I Do Have Extreme Pain Like Most Of Us On These Meds. My Concern Is My Heart. I Have Had Three Heart Attacks, Stents, Ballooned And Triple Bypass Of Which All Three Bypass' Have Collapsed.

I Am Concerned About Going The 48 To 72 Hours Before I Start The Suboxone. The W/d's Are Bad Enough, But I Also Get Bad Heart Pain On Top Of It. I Just Lost Another Dear Friend Last Week To A Heart Attack So It Does Scares Me Having Four Kids And Four Grandkids. I Would Like To Stick Around For Awhile Longer.

Thank You Ladylee And Mpvt For Your Posts And Concern, Rustic

So I Guess I Am Not Sure On What To Do As I Am Almost Out Of The Methadone.

butchy yost is offline Member

hey rustic
    its a tough call...if I had the legit problems you do I doubt I would even have the desire to stop the oxy(I was taking the same amt. before switching to >>>>>>)...you are a stronger person than me.

as far as the meth/sub...you really need to wait until you are in full w/ds, i.e. you feel like you are dying, before you take it(sublingually as dave said, and keep it under your tongue as long as possible) I would start aout with 4mg and wait about an hour. If you still feel sick after 1 hour take another 4mg. This is plenty, suboxone is often overprescribed. If that anount does not cure the w/ds then you probably didnt wait long enough after the last methadone.

Like i said I was taking about the same amt of oxy as you (dave- 400 mg is not a huge amount?!?!) and have been on sub for 6 mos. started out at 8mg a day, now down to 1mg/day. Sub doesnt do much for pain, but I have lees pain now than I ever did while taking oxy. When you are on narcotics for so long, I believe your body becomes hypersensitive to pain, maybe even manufacturing it, in an effort to ensure the supply of dope. Many addicts in recovery can attest to the reduced amt. of pain since stopping

good luck, whatever you choose to do.

Ladylee is offline New Member

Can you get more methodone rustic? >>>>>>-detox.com has excellent information on methadone and suboxone. They have people who switch over all the time. I think you might information quicker there. good luck