amphetamine addiction??
    frantic mom is offline Junior Member

Default amphetamine addiction??

I suspect that my adult son is using amphetamines. He will go many days just sleeping... not even waking up to eat and will then go a few days seemingly full of energy and hardly sleeping at all. The only actual evidence I found was a whole lot of empty bottles of 5 hour energy drink in his room and he buys nasal congestion inhalers which I have found taken apart. He had been prescribed ritalin in the past but not currently. Any advice as to confronting him with my concerns?

Cats Meow is offline Banned

Have an honest talk with him, be up front, offer to help, just be a concerned mom, consider laying down ultimatums, such as you can't live here if you're doing drugs. Maybe suggest going back on the Ritalin, or seeing a doctor for other ADHD meds. Lay down some guilt, like what it does to the body, teeth, what the law would do if he's caught.
    Him being an adult makes it tougher for you. Good luck with him.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by frantic mom View Post
    I suspect that my adult son is using amphetamines. He will go many days just sleeping... not even waking up to eat and will then go a few days seemingly full of energy and hardly sleeping at all. The only actual evidence I found was a whole lot of empty bottles of 5 hour energy drink in his room and he buys nasal congestion inhalers which I have found taken apart. He had been prescribed ritalin in the past but not currently. Any advice as to confronting him with my concerns?

Amphetamines can be very bad, I think possibly the worst of all drugs when abused. That is strictly my opinion of course. Over the years I have watched more than one of my old friends totally waste away as slaves to meth, people with great potential that transformed into walking death. I detest amphetamines. Our hearts are only going to beat so many times. When it's up, the heart stops and it's all over for us. Amphetamines can have a medicinal purpose, but it's an incredible percentage of users that don't normally use for a medical reason. Amphetamines are very similar to opiates in that respect. Becoming detoxed and totally free mentally from amphetamines is a long road. Try to stop your son before he gets in too deep. I would literally do whatever it takes. No exceptions.

Without knowing your son personally it's impossible to know the best way to approach him for sure. Keep in mind that the amphetamines tend to make us very aggressive and paranoid. That makes it difficult for you to present a case trying to appeal to his logic. When we have used amphetamines heavily for almost any significant amount of time we become very hard to approach. We tend to be irrational.

It might be in everyone's best interest if you sought professional help with this. You don't know if he might possibly need new ADHD medication. Taking amphetamines and ADHD meds together is potentially very dangerous. You know that I'm sure. So a dr needs to be aware of what is going on if he is going to prescribe anything new.

I would handle this matter similar to how Cat suggested. Be honest and straightforward. Your son is too old to play games with and would see right through attempts at something sneaky anyway. I would suggest to him that new meds might make things better for him but he will need to see the dr first to make sure this is all done the right way. I agree that new guidelines should be established especially if your son is uncooperative with this plan. I would give him the chance though first to willingly cooperate before I begin to lay out new rules. You just have to play this by ear and tip toe through it right in the beginning. Remember it's the drugs you are dealing with here, not your healthy son. I wish you and your son the best of luck with this. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 07-01-2008 at 06:30 AM.

Kay77 is offline New Member

Lightbulb

I don't know if this is helpful or not but in the UK you can purchase amphetamines over the internet and they are sent in the packaging for a "nasal decongestant", this is for ephradine tablets and I'm assuming is a way of not getting into trouble for selling drugs online.
    Have you also considered that your son may suffer from bi-polar disorder? This is more commonly know as "manic-depression". Many people associate this term with "crazy-people" but it can happen to anyone and can be hard to diagnose. The main symptoms are basically what it says on the tin, periods of severe depression followed by a period of extreme high or "mania", which is what you are describing in your son.
    Talk to him and find out how he's feeling, ask him why he spends so long in bed etc. Either way you need to get him to open up, if he's using drugs he could be under a lot of pressure and if not then you need to know whats going on with him and why he's feeling so low.
    One tip for confronting potential drug users is to NOT raise your voice, move suddenly of chase them if they choose to leave, if they are taking amphetamines they will have a raised heart rate and any stress could make this worse and don't be too hard on him if he is using drugs, everyone makes mistakes and you can help him through it, be as loving and supportive as possible.
    GOOD LUCK!
    Last edited by Kay77; 07-01-2008 at 08:22 AM. Reason: My rubbish spelling!

ymccormack is offline Member

I agree with kay77 that the symptoms he's exhibiting - could have several causes.

Adult onset mental illness is very common and tends to hit in the early 20's. I think the best approach here would be not to assume anything.

If he's abusing ephedrine (nasal medicine) - I would think you'd find a lot of the packaging - not just a few. Who knows.

My guess is that he is trying to get that ritalin burst of energy - but doesn't have access to or doesn't want to have access to hard drugs. This would definitely be a good time to talk to him - find out if he's having trouble - consider getting him to a psychiatrist to figure out what the issue is.

Whatever the case...I think there's definitely something going on....and your intervention now may prevent some big mistakes down the road. Don't assume anything - and give him the benefit (although cautious) of the doubt.

Good Luck
    YM

frantic mom is offline Junior Member

Thanks to those who offered advice. I have been through hell since I first posted back in the first week of July. Since then my son has been admitted to a psych facility. He left our home a few weeks ago due to my "not trusting him" and accusing him of using drugs. He was staying with a friend sleeping on his couch when he apparently took some ambiens, smoked pot and had also used Bendedrex inhalers in some way. The friend kicked him out into the night where he was picked up by police and taken to a psych facility where they are treating him for suicidal thoughts. I have come to learn from friends that had not wanted to "rat" on him earlier that he has had a substance abuse problem for quite a while.. about 4 years of using various OTC medications inappropriately. I wish they had spoken up sooner and I blame myself for not seeing the problem or maybe not wanting to see it. I have given this info to the psychiatrist who has gotten him to admit his drug problem for the first time and they are trying to place him in a chemical dependency facility. He definitely has depression issues as well, but I am wondering which came first... the drugs or the depression? I feel he needs to be treated for both problems. Thank God he does have insurance. Does anyone know of a good place in California for him to go to get treatment for both problems. My husband and I are willing to do whatever it takes to help him. We feel his life depends on it! Thanks again.

johnsteve is offline New Member

Default Drugs

people are mostly like to buy a medicine by home delivery only.So we can offered home delivery for any medicine.Thanks.
    =========

john

Drug Intervention Massachusetts