AMBIEN SIDE EFFECTS & DEPRESSION???
    lauriel13 is offline New Member

Default AMBIEN SIDE EFFECTS & DEPRESSION???

Hi everyone. I wanted to post my personal experience with Ambien. I am no longer taking it because of what it did to me. I'll explain as briefly as possible: I started taking it when I was 17, and I am now nearly 21. From the very beginning, Ambien had a strange effect on me, especially mentally. Throughout the course of taking Ambien, I experienced COUNTLESS "psychotic" episodes while under the influence. In the beginning, I would cut myself while on it. (I now have over fifty self-inflicted scars all over my body.) I would call people crying. I'd go outside in the middle of the night in nothing but my pajamas and walk around the block. Of course, I'd never remember any of this until something or someone reminded me of it. Later on, my episodes became worse. I had horrible, very realistic hallucinations and thought I heard voices. I'd drive my car to Wal-Mart and purchase something (still in my pajamas) or become so severely depressed that I wanted to (and almost did) kill myself. From the beginning I ALWAYS took the dose reccomended to me by my Dr (one 10mg tab) at the beginning of the night and go straight to bed, but, because of my insomnia, I could never fall straight to sleep, and once the medication kicked in, I'd get out of bed and do all of these insane things. And, under the influence of Ambien, I'd take more pills without realizing it. I only found out because of my constantly rapidly diminishing supply. The last time I took Ambien it was the worst. I don't really remember what happened that night (I could NEVER remember anything that happened to me under the influence of it), but the next morning, all I could do was vomit (and I have a VERY strong stomach) because I felt like I was under the influence of it just enough to make me feel crazy, woozy, and like I was in a sort of 'haze.' I was VERY sick. I lost my job that day because I could not work because I was so sick. I took myself off of it ever since that experience. I NEVER drank a sip of alcohol while on it.

Some background info: I have a feeling--albeit uneducated-- that the reasons for my actions while on Ambien were because I have had severe depression since I was 11. I have also taken lots of different kinds of antidepressants since then and did take my regularly scheduled antidepressant pill at the time when I took my dose of Ambien. (I take all my once-daily meds at night before bed because it's the only way I remember to take them.) I felt like Ambien horribly intensified all of the thoughts and feelings I felt through the day. I'd like to hear if anyone else has had some similar experiences, especially if they too are on antidepressants or have depression.

Ambien may work for some people, just NOT for me.

Sorry for this being so long, but I'd really appreciate feedback!

Thanks,
    Laurie

blue80 is offline New Member

Hi...I know what you are going thru. I started taking ambien about 5 years ago. I got to the point that I was taking about 9 a day. That was the regular ambien. I had a prescription from my doctor....but I started ordering from the internet.

I ran out one day and the next day I had a grandmal seizure on my front porch....right in front of my 2 kids. I had to be rushed to the hospital. Luckily they knew to call 911.

I thought I had learned a lesson, but started taking it again (no one knew why I had the seizure....but I did) Almost a year later, I had another seizure...I almost bit my tongue off.

I can sleep at all if I dont take it. It is a very bad med to get started on. I have been taking ambienCr for a while. I just took my last one last night and now I feel like I am having a nervous breakdown.....shaking and head spinning. I have been taking 2 a night so, now I have to suffer the withdrawal.

I am afaid of having another seizure. I went to rehab the after the second seizure and did ok for awhile....but the doctor prescribed Seroquel...which can cause a lot of problems.

I dont know what to do.....

How are you doing? I hope you are okay. I dont know if you believe in prayer...but I need one!

I also suffer from depression. I was crying so much yesterday, that my husband wanted to take me to the hospital.

I had a car accident last year....I rolled my jeep about 5 times....I broke my back. I am now going to a pain clinic, but dont know how much longer I can go on with all the medication roller coasters. I dont know how I will get thru the day....or night without the ambien..I am so scared.

I also have done things that I didnt remember doing...it a very scary thing.

I hope you are okay....write back if you can....I need a friend

PaulRemski777 is offline Junior Member

I;m on ambien cr for sleep due to chronic spinal pain. Laurie, your symptoms may indeed be due to ambien, and there are many other natural ways to get to sleep. I survived 1.3 yrs of mutism seconary to severe depression at age 19. Melatonin, 30 mg a night may help you get more natural sleep; available over the counter, and not habit forming. I hope you are sleeping well now, and under good care.
    The Lord Jesus bless you with His peace and knowledge of His love.
    Paul

Paul Remski; 16 yrs chronic pain patient; detox post 24 days+;

lauriel13 is offline New Member

Thanks for the responses! It's good to know that I'm not the only one that Ambien affected in a destructive way. Well, as far as my mental health now, I'm doing... okay. I see a psycologist once a week (who makes me feel like ****... but someone told me that's what they're supposed to do) and I take Lexapro for my depression. I kindof scared about THAT, though, because even though Lexapro has worked WONDERS for me while I'm on it, if I ever miss a dose (even for one day) I literally start freaking out to the point that I can feel suicidal. So I think I'll have to take it forever... ... But that's a whole other subject. I actually have an appt to get new meds (I don't know if they are going to try to change the Lexapro) on October 30th. I'll probably be getting something for my nerves and anxiety, MAYBE a new antidepressant (wish me luck with THAT...), and *insert dramatic music here* a new sleeping pill for my insomnia. I really hope I don't go crazy or anything on any of this. I just know I'm never taking Ambien again. Not even CR. And yes, if you couldn't tell, I WAS addicted to it in the past. At least psycologically. It even made me feel and think differently during the day when I wasn't under the influence. It was bad. Ambien and my addiction to it also induced me to try other drugs, first prescription ones, and then I moved on to street drugs. THAT is a battle I still fight today. I became addicted to "escaping." And I blame (for the most part) Ambien for leading me to it.

Once again, thanks for the feedback. I really need all the help, advice, and support I can get right now.

Laurie

KValencia is offline New Member

Default ambien

I want you to know it was like reading my own story! So much of what you experienced I did as well!

I will tell you my story (after I am done at the office).

Kia

PainfulCrash2005 is offline Junior Member

I know what you mean--to an extent. I would take the Ambien and sit up until it made me drowsy. Then, I would go to bed. It wasn't until I had friends over one night, that I realized what happened when I was on it. Luckily, it didn't have time to get so bad for me. But, I noticed my episodes were triggered by people talking, either to me, to to each other when I was "asleep". Something they would say would seem to trigger me into moving... One of my friends made the comment he was hungry. He said I immediately got out of bed, went into the kitchen, put a pan on the stove, turned the stove on, got utensils out, but never any food. And that I stood at the stove "cooking" until he said he would "take over from there" and then I returned to bed. Several other things like that happened, which is when I quit taking them.

I, too, take antidepressants--but I have no idea if there is a relation to the two. I just know it was enough to scare me.

Not too long after I flushed them, I read an article where some woman "woke up" while driving on the Interstate, after having gone to bed... I don't know why they effect some people and not others. I guess they're like any other medication.

Best wishes!

holdntight is offline New Member

Default Ambien Effects on Me

Hi,

I took Ambien CR (12.5mg) for almost 2 years with a short period off during that time. I had tried the non-extended release and lower dose of Ambier CR but they did not work for me. I live alone and had gotten a puppy right around the samt time I started the Ambien and was worried I would not hear my puppy when she needed to go out. That however was not the case and all went well. I never had any major problems like I heard about, with people sleep walking and eating. Although I did misplace a few things that I put away before going to bed after taking an Ambien.

I also used other methods to assist with my insomnia including lighting that dims, deep breathing and a CD for learning how to go to sleep.

I have been off them for about one year now and it was only a few nights of insomnia that I had to go through when I stopped cold turkey on night.

During all that time I was taking Effexor for my recent and only episode of depression in my life. It has been over two years now and I am still taking them. Hoping to get off them someday soon.

Good luck to you!

Eirelin is offline New Member

Your story and most of the responses made to it seem to include either people who were/are taking other medications, such as antidepressants, or had/have depression. These are ALL mentioned in the prescribing notes.

Please do not take this the wrong way; we all welcome personal stories from people who have used a medication previously. However, when this person also has a condition and/or is taking other medication that is mentioned as a reason NOT to take this medication, then your story should indicate that right up front. Otherwise, the implication is that this drug alone is your sole problem. Also, please remember that most people do not read past the first few lines, so even if you happen to mention (as if in passing) that you have this condition and/or take that other medication, they do not see it.

wowza_inshockofthis is offline New Member

holy cow..... your post = me minus cutting.... BUT i had thought about it.... and I have NEVER been that way growing up. I have been taking ambien (Zolpidem) for 4-6 months or maybe more... lost track.... I have been depressed and feeling like my soul has been sucked out of me.

However, after reading your post, about the mood swings and behavioral differences.... this DRUG is to blame!!!!! Stopping now..... right now.... evil.....

jbecklin is offline New Member

Red face ambien tales

Quote Originally Posted by lauriel13 View Post
    Hi everyone. I wanted to post my personal experience with Ambien. I am no longer taking it because of what it did to me. I'll explain as briefly as possible: I started taking it when I was 17, and I am now nearly 21. From the very beginning, Ambien had a strange effect on me, especially mentally. Throughout the course of taking Ambien, I experienced COUNTLESS "psychotic" episodes while under the influence. In the beginning, I would cut myself while on it. (I now have over fifty self-inflicted scars all over my body.) I would call people crying. I'd go outside in the middle of the night in nothing but my pajamas and walk around the block. Of course, I'd never remember any of this until something or someone reminded me of it. Later on, my episodes became worse. I had horrible, very realistic hallucinations and thought I heard voices. I'd drive my car to Wal-Mart and purchase something (still in my pajamas) or become so severely depressed that I wanted to (and almost did) kill myself. From the beginning I ALWAYS took the dose reccomended to me by my Dr (one 10mg tab) at the beginning of the night and go straight to bed, but, because of my insomnia, I could never fall straight to sleep, and once the medication kicked in, I'd get out of bed and do all of these insane things. And, under the influence of Ambien, I'd take more pills without realizing it. I only found out because of my constantly rapidly diminishing supply. The last time I took Ambien it was the worst. I don't really remember what happened that night (I could NEVER remember anything that happened to me under the influence of it), but the next morning, all I could do was vomit (and I have a VERY strong stomach) because I felt like I was under the influence of it just enough to make me feel crazy, woozy, and like I was in a sort of 'haze.' I was VERY sick. I lost my job that day because I could not work because I was so sick. I took myself off of it ever since that experience. I NEVER drank a sip of alcohol while on it.

Some background info: I have a feeling--albeit uneducated-- that the reasons for my actions while on Ambien were because I have had severe depression since I was 11. I have also taken lots of different kinds of antidepressants since then and did take my regularly scheduled antidepressant pill at the time when I took my dose of Ambien. (I take all my once-daily meds at night before bed because it's the only way I remember to take them.) I felt like Ambien horribly intensified all of the thoughts and feelings I felt through the day. I'd like to hear if anyone else has had some similar experiences, especially if they too are on antidepressants or have depression.

Ambien may work for some people, just NOT for me.

Sorry for this being so long, but I'd really appreciate feedback!

Thanks,
    Laurie
    Hi Laurie,i'm jenn new to the forum but i've had some similiar experiences with the ambiem i would become lethargic, and have terrible nightmares, it made me paranoid during the day,i fell asleep in my soup,but sometimes it would keep me awake for days on end and yes i had the suicidal thoughts. i'd wake up in the morning not knowing where i was It was just a horrible experince i was on 20mgs they decreased it to ten and that didn't do any better i'm off of it completely and thank go because i was starting to sleep walk it may work for some people but not for me either they switched me to seroquel not the er formula just regular seroquel and it has worked wonders hope you feel better i don't know if this helps at all but your not the only one

joesmo is offline New Member

Default okay now what

So I did a google search on ambien & depression and this turned up. I've been an insomniac for pretty much ever. I've probably spent years of my life in a zombified half-sleep state. Back in the day it was at least manageable because my sleeplessness fit my schedule (stay up late writing, nerding, hanging out, what have you). But now that I'm semi-responsible it just doesn't work. Plus it was just getting progressively worse (helped me lose a job, a relationship, etc.). I finally saw a neurologist a couple of months ago and he prescribed ambien. In the beginning it wasn't bad because I was actually getting more than half an hours sleep a night. However, I have been more bummed the past few weeks than ever in my entire life. The thoughts I'm having are more f**kd than ever before but I can't tell anyone because psychiatrists have to call the cops if you tell them you're thinking of offing yourself. For the most part, I don't want to die. There have been alot of great things about this life. The times when I'm low, though, I really don't want to be here anymore. The low times happen every day now, not just sometimes. So there it is... I'm not trying to whine I just don't know what to do. I don't want to be a zombie but I don't want to be some statistic on the news either.

OsirisLD is offline New Member

Default First Time Taking Ambien

Last Night was my first time taking ambien, My doctor had both increased my dosage of Celexa and perscribed me with Ambien. When I had first taken the pill, I had immediately noticed that I had blurry vision, Big woop. Then, I bent down to pick something up and I almost fell over like I had fallen asleep. I went Into my bed and laid down. I closed my eyes and It felt like I was dreaming but I knew I was still awake. The Hallucinations were pretty cool, I saw a dragon just come out of this ice and snow that was everywhere, I even felt like i had stepped into the snow with my barefeet and I could hear everyone in my dream like they were laying in my bed talking to me. My only question is, Should I stop taking it now? or should I continue?

Quote Originally Posted by OsirisLD View Post
    Last Night was my first time taking ambien, My doctor had both increased my dosage of Celexa and perscribed me with Ambien. When I had first taken the pill, I had immediately noticed that I had blurry vision, Big woop. Then, I bent down to pick something up and I almost fell over like I had fallen asleep. I went Into my bed and laid down. I closed my eyes and It felt like I was dreaming but I knew I was still awake. The Hallucinations were pretty cool, I saw a dragon just come out of this ice and snow that was everywhere, I even felt like i had stepped into the snow with my barefeet and I could hear everyone in my dream like they were laying in my bed talking to me. My only question is, Should I stop taking it now? or should I continue?
    I would definitely talk to your doctor before you continue to take it. I was on ambien for awhile, and a lot of what I went through sounds so similar to things that I've read other people post on this thread. I'd have conversations with people that they told me didn't make any sense but that I couldn't remember. I'd take one at bedtime and then take a few more throughout the night without even realizing it (until I counted what I SHOULD have had in the morning). I even had sex with an ex-boyfriend and couldn't remember it at all until the following morning when he told me about it. Plus it got to the point where I literally couldn't sleep without it. I'm going through other issues now with coming off of a pretty high opiate addiction, but a doctor once prescribed me trazedone to help with my insomnia. If I remember correctly, it's an anti-depressant that's used to help people sleep. When I took that I could sleep through the night without any of the symptoms the ambien gave me. Hope this helps a little bit. All my best...Ava <3