ambien side effects
    elsiejay is offline New Member

Default ambien side effects

I have been taking Ambien for about 4 years, gradually increasing my dose to 20 mg per night. My husband has been worried because I sometimes get up an hour or so after I go to bed and wander around the house, acting strange. The first time it happened he thought I was having a stroke and took me to the emergency department. I have no memory of it. This week he took a video showing me staggering around, slurring my speech, being VERY obstinate and finally staggering back to bed.

Is this uncommon? I have never been a sleepwalker in the past, and sometimes travel for work, staying in hotels. This has me really frightened. Any ideas, suggestions, hope?

Lcj

dizzy23 is offline Senior Member

quote:Originally posted by elsiejay

I have been taking Ambien for about 4 years, gradually increasing my dose to 20 mg per night. My husband has been worried because I sometimes get up an hour or so after I go to bed and wander around the house, acting strange. The first time it happened he thought I was having a stroke and took me to the emergency department. I have no memory of it. This week he took a video showing me staggering around, slurring my speech, being VERY obstinate and finally staggering back to bed.

Is this uncommon? I have never been a sleepwalker in the past, and sometimes travel for work, staying in hotels. This has me really frightened. Any ideas, suggestions, hope?

Lcj

Some special concerns that may arise while taking sleep medicines include memory problems, tolerance, dependence, withdrawal, and changes in behavior and thinking.Please read this....

http://www.ambien.com/consumer/utili...ienPatient.pdf

thanks. I appreciate your taking the time to respond. I guess it is time to go see the doc (AGAIN!) and go to plan B.

Lcj

PoppyQueen is offline Member

I take Ambien occasionally. A couple months ago, I apparently went to my freezer, took out a meal for the microwave, put it in the oven without turning it on, and went back to bed. I have no recollection of this and it scared the bejeebers out of me. I had taken 10mg.

Do an internet search and see if somnambulism (SP?) is a side effect of Ambien. It probably is. I know when I take it, I am out cold.

Poppy

It is the scariest thing ever, I think, to be doing something without any sense of self, and no memory of it. I worry that I'm going to do something really stupid, like leave the house or try to drive. So far, it has been fairly amusing for my hubby, but it is scary for me.

Ambien doesn't specify sleepwalking as a side effect. Memory problems are listed, but only if you don't get the full 7-8 hours of sleep. Like you, Poppy, I'm down for the count when I have taken Ambien.

I guess I need to do some more research on sleepwalking and drugs. I'll keep you posted.

Lcj