Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 31
Advice on treatment options
  1. #1
    Businessman1 is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    168

    Default Advice on treatment options

    I complained a while ago at the lack of treatment options for opiod dependence and the "one size fits all" approach. Anyway, I said I'd come back if I found any info that may be of interest. I'm currently stuck on subs which is miserable for me as the side effects have a negative impact on my life.

    Anywayi, here's what I learned just in-case it's useful to anyone:

    I researched rapid detox which I have seen very little info about here. It sounds like an easy way out wihtout anyone noticing right? Well firstly, there are less of these clinics than you would think. I live in new York and could not find one less than 3 hours drive away. The phone, if you find one still in business is answered by a sales person who will express horror that you were ever prescribed subutex. They will criticize your doctor for giving them to you as a way of keeping you going back so they can derive profit from your misery. But fear not, for around $15,000, they will fly you to Vegas on a Tuesday, put you to sleep under a general while they pump you full of nax. You wake up 2 days later. You then need to stay a few more days either with them or in a hotel on the strip. You may feel well enough to go home by the Sunday. There is no guarantee that it will work and you will be depressed for a month just like normal detox. Sounds like a lot to avoid 4 days of throwing up right?

    I asked my shrink if I could go back on short acting opiates so I could go cold turkey myself but she refused.

    I tried cold turkey from subs and lasted a week before stopping my pain. One month of w/d is too long for me.


    So here I am, trapped in hell. I'm on subs because there are 2 meds approved for f$$ck ups like me. They happen to be the two that cause no high. They are also the two that are the hardest to get off.


    Every time I see someone rave about how subs saved them, I want to hitnthem with a brick. It's an opiate. I'm still addicted only now I'll never get free. I can't taper. Never could. I was better off on oxy. At least they have some upside. The government is fine with me being an addict as long as I derive no pleasure or sleep.

    Partial agonists/fullagonist, who cares. You still throw up and cry when you go into w/d. Sub w/d felt the same as oxy and hydro morphine except without the light at the end of the tunnel.

    My shrink wants me to stay on them for a year. She also wants me to add, clonazepan, Prozac, ambient and adderal to balance my symptoms.

    I'm in bed watching my life crumble. Thanks subs. I'm trapped in hell.

  2. #2
    newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,115

    Default

    I identify with your plight, businessman... I'm in the same boat but probably addicted for longer. A ridiculously long time. After a long bout on methadone, I thought sub would be the wonder drug, which is isn't. Like methadone, it's a powerful opiate and if you don't get off it really quickly, it seems to be problematic for many, and even those who ended up successful suffered for a long time., As for Rapid Detox, there is no way in hxll I would even consider it. I've seen people spend thousands only to come out of it sicker than they've ever been before. I have never seen anyone succeed going that route. Ibogaine is another possibility but it's illegal in the U.S. There is a poster who did it and has been clean ever since but to me the best possibility was written about on another thread by someone who succeeded in getting and staying clean. It involves taking a weak short acting opiate to get through the sub withdrawals. Of course, there is relapse danger there because you have to taper and stop but it seems to be one way to get out of sub hell. If your psychiatrist refuses to perscribe something like darvocet, perhaps another doctor will.

  3. #3
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    heck thats a scary thought,
    even yesterday on my own thread ive been ravin about how im trying to jump off a ridiculous low dose of sub, and its sheer hell with RLS and i cant sleep, kickin and struggling, so i take some more. like you said businessman, "to stop my pain"

    yeh, i feel normal most of the time, till it runs out.

    i think there is a light at the end of the tunnel, but is it a huge freight train comin..???

    i feel conned actually, they told me it was far easier to get off than methadone, yeh i could taper to low, but every time i try and stop, its unbearable.

    i need to look up that stuff in darvocet and see if we got that stuff here. but would be havin an addictive personality, get hooked on them and just want more.?

    sometimes more questions than answers.

  4. #4
    newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,115

    Default

    There is a definite group of us, and it's definitely more than just us three, that just can't get a grip on it. The RLS and other symptoms are too much.. I just wish I knew what the difference was. Is it physiological? I know alot of people say "you can do it if you want to" but I can't. I wonder if it has to do with length of addiction. I know mine is long and yours too, cheeky. I wish I knew the difference. Some will say its desire to be clean and a strong will but I don't buy that. I have the desire. Maybe not the will. I can't believe how this first post struck a cord with me. I feel conned too. I thought because it was a "partial" agonist it would be easier than methadone. No way.

  5. #5
    ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    2,052

    Default

    There is no "easy route" out of addiction - and I don't know why folks expect that there "should" be. That confuses me. Maybe it's because we're drug addicts, and we've become used to quick fixes - so we figure there "must" be a quick fix out of addiction, isn't there? After all, the "quick fix" got us INto addiction, didn't it?

    Before I'd ever become a slave to a year of suboxone, clonazepan (klonopin), ambien and adderol, I'd find a way to put myself into a detox center and rough it out for a week (or more, if needed) - under medical supervision. I seriously question any shrink who thinks that crazy concoction of addictive medications is the answer to addiction recovery!!!

    Yes, I have done it. Yes, it's hard. Yes, it sucks. But, like most things in life, anything worth having is worth the effort to get there. If it were easy, we wouldn't need boards like these, nor programs like NA and AA. If it were easy, I would not have had to commit myself to 6 months of in-patient treatment, which is what I did, years ago, to stay clean. When you're serious about recovery, you stop lamenting what can't be done - and you seize onto what CAN be done... and you do it.

    God bless,
    Ruth

  6. #6
    mottam is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NorthEast
    Posts
    1,502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ARTIST658 View Post
    There is no "easy route" out of addiction - and I don't know why folks expect that there "should" be. That confuses me. Maybe it's because we're drug addicts, and we've become used to quick fixes - so we figure there "must" be a quick fix out of addiction, isn't there? After all, the "quick fix" got us INto addiction, didn't it?

    Before I'd ever become a slave to a year of suboxone, clonazepan (klonopin), ambien and adderol, I'd find a way to put myself into a detox center and rough it out for a week (or more, if needed) - under medical supervision. I seriously question any shrink who thinks that crazy concoction of addictive medications is the answer to addiction recovery!!!

    Yes, I have done it. Yes, it's hard. Yes, it sucks. But, like most things in life, anything worth having is worth the effort to get there. If it were easy, we wouldn't need boards like these, nor programs like NA and AA. If it were easy, I would not have had to commit myself to 6 months of in-patient treatment, which is what I did, years ago, to stay clean. When you're serious about recovery, you stop lamenting what can't be done - and you seize onto what CAN be done... and you do it.

    God bless,
    Ruth
    Well stated, Ruth!
    You and I have always agreed on doing this under medical supervision - you never want to make a bad situation worse.
    So it takes ~ a week to get through the really tough w/d issues - it is so worth it.
    I NEVER, EVER want to go through the physical and mental anguish of opiate w/d again.

    My advice to anyone is to put a plan in place and execute. Do not wait. There is never a "good" time to do this. We would not wait to get treated for cancer if diagnosed. Why wait for this? I am not trying to draw equivelencies of cancer to addiction. They are both, however, life threatening.

    God bless all of us in this battle. We need each other for strength, feedback - just to know we are not alone.

    Regards to all of my fellow suffering addicts.
    mottam

  7. #7
    newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,115

    Default

    Ruth, as always, I agree with what you say. Your post are always informative and also compassionate. After 45 stupid years, I know there is no "easy route" out of addiction. How about a less painfully diffult one though? For some, it takes more than the desire to get there. I know I have the desire. I don't drink except socially and rarely, I don't do any other illicit drugs, only do 1/2 a benzo occasionally and rarely.... Opiates, well that's another story. The opiate is sub. The dose is low. The desire is there. The will to take the first (or last) step is lacking but not from lack of want.

  8. #8
    intelmetal is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New Orleans, La. USA
    Posts
    598

    Default Darvocet

    Cheeky, I have just learned that they have pulled propoxyphene (Darvocet/Darvon) in New Zealand, but it is still available in Australia. You might want to make a quick trip to Sidney and get a small amount soon before they yank it. Just FYI
    Steve

    P.S. Also get some DLPA for post detox.

  9. #9
    doc.rose is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,227

    Default

    I also think that here in the states, they considered taking Darvocet off the shelf because of the acetominiphin aspect of darvocet. I am not sure why they didn't follow through.

  10. #10
    ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    2,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by intelmetal View Post
    Cheeky, I have just learned that they have pulled propoxyphene (Darvocet/Darvon) in New Zealand, but it is still available in Australia. You might want to make a quick trip to Sidney and get a small amount soon before they yank it. Just FYI
    Steve

    P.S. Also get some DLPA for post detox.
    Although it isn't in the same "league" as the oxys and morphine, propoxyphene is another addictive drug. Chances are, being addicted already, you'll soon find yourself popping them like candy, to gain the euphoric effect.

    Many believe darvocets to be pretty harmless - I disagree. (Some also think tramadol is harmless, too!) Funny thing is, my first addiction (wayyyyy back when!) was to darvocets... prescribed to me by my father-in-law, who was trying to keep me safely away from more 'serious' narcotics... (We can see how well THAT worked!)

  11. #11
    newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,115

    Default

    I agree that darvocet is an addictive narcotic but it is much milder than sub, methadone and oxy. I think it could help some of us get through the hellish addiction to sub just to take the edges off. Of course, there is a danger there, but if you're not able to get off the much stronger stuff, there isn't that much at risk. It worked for one person here who had a MAJOR habit and might be worth a try for some who can't find there way off harder stuff.

  12. #12
    intelmetal is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New Orleans, La. USA
    Posts
    598

    Default Darvocet

    Quote Originally Posted by ARTIST658 View Post
    Although it isn't in the same "league" as the oxys and morphine, propoxyphene is another addictive drug. Chances are, being addicted already, you'll soon find yourself popping them like candy, to gain the euphoric effect.

    Many believe darvocets to be pretty harmless - I disagree. (Some also think tramadol is harmless, too!) Funny thing is, my first addiction (wayyyyy back when!) was to darvocets... prescribed to me by my father-in-law, who was trying to keep me safely away from more 'serious' narcotics... (We can see how well THAT worked!)
    I am not trying to pick a fight here....but, If you have been taking methadone or suboxone for a long period of time and are having trouble jumping off, Darvocet is the way to go ! Of coarse you have to be vigilant and determined to kick the opiates for good for this to work, but it just makes it soooo much easier to get through the end of a meth or sub taper. I know from personal experience that this is the case. You will not get any euphoric effect from the Darvocet after experiencing the powerful stuff, I promise. I did not like it at all, just made the end much easier. If you do not trust yourself, continue with the subs. If you do try and taper all the way down to zero, you'll probably relapse. The beauty of propoxyphene is that you don't really like it and is easy to jump off of. I can see someone who is opiate naive catching a small buzz or some sedation, and that could start a long term addiction. I am not suggesting that anyone try this weak opiate for any other reason than stated above. Thank God for weak short acting opiates ! Good Luck to all !!
    Steve

    P.S. After you jump off the darvs, get some DLPA in 500mg caps for PAWS.

  13. #13
    newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,115

    Default

    I remember getting darvocet for pain situations back when I was young. I am positive I never got even slightly high from it. In fact, years later, coming to this forum, reading that people use darvocet to get high really surprised me. I never had an inkling of a clue that people actually used darvocet for pleasure. For some of us who have been addicted to major opiates for long times, I see no risk in getting stuck on darvocet. It's like the difference between drinking a glass of wine with dinner and drinking a quart of vodka a day. (or whatever, don't know alcohol amounts. Does vodka even come in quarts?). I've said it before and I'll say it again. Intel's plan is the first one that has even given me a glimmer of hope.

  14. #14
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    can someone tell this kiwi what DLPA is please?......... no idea.


  15. #15
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    I'm with the cheeky-kiwi on this one! Call me clueless, but I still want to know!

    Btw, how old are you cheeky if you don't mind me asking.

  16. #16
    intelmetal is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New Orleans, La. USA
    Posts
    598

    Default DLPA or DL-phenylalanine

    Quote Originally Posted by cheekysod View Post
    can someone tell this kiwi what DLPA is please?......... no idea.

    DLPA is a form of the amino acid phenylalanine. Recntly, DL- phenylalanine has been getting attention in the medical world for its ability to reduce chronic pain and depression. It works by protecting your endorphins from the enzymes that are responsible for destroying your natural endorphins, thus extending their life. DLPA has been found to be most useful for chronic pain and depression. There is so much info on the web about this awesome, non-addictive amino acid. Just type in DLPA for depression in your search engine, and you will find all the facts about this gem. It helps with PAWS bigtime and can even be taken with any narcotic or OTC pain medicine without any negative side effects. Do a little research before using it, but it is not a danger to many. Also it has the opposite effects of tolerance, the longer you use it ,the better it works. You can lower your dose over time instead of having to increase over time with drugs. Check it out. I suggest the 500mg caps w/ vitamin B-6 on an empty stomach, just like you would use L-tyrosine. Don't use both at the same time though. I think the DLPA is better than the L-tyrosine. Just my opinion.
    Steve

  17. #17
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    cheers steve, ive heard of that phenylalanine, i will check it out. nother question now, whats the DL for.?

    hope all is well down in the gulf, thats a helluva mistake on bp's part ay, and now i see shrimp boats doin the clean up. dodgy big business.

    all the best bro
    kiwi

  18. #18
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    ok, so ive looked up the answer to my own question, havin a read now, heres a wee bit anyway.


    The essential amino acid DL-Phenylalanine is a natural compound that protects against the breakdown of enkephalins, a neurotransmitter that act as your body"s own pain reducer. Phenylalanine comes in two forms which are mirror images of each other L-phenylalanine which has a nutritional value, and D-phenylalanine which has pain killing and depression alleviating value which is attributed to its ability to block the breakdown of enkephalins, the brains natural pain killer neurotransmitter.

    cheers

  19. #19
    newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,115

    Default

    Good work, kiwi, doing the research. I had no idea what it was either but I'm willing to try just about anything to be okay. Thanks for the information, Steve.

  20. #20
    intelmetal is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New Orleans, La. USA
    Posts
    598

    Default DLPA or DL-phenylalanine

    Quote Originally Posted by cheekysod View Post
    ok, so ive looked up the answer to my own question, havin a read now, heres a wee bit anyway.


    The essential amino acid DL-Phenylalanine is a natural compound that protects against the breakdown of enkephalins, a neurotransmitter that act as your body"s own pain reducer. Phenylalanine comes in two forms which are mirror images of each other L-phenylalanine which has a nutritional value, and D-phenylalanine which has pain killing and depression alleviating value which is attributed to its ability to block the breakdown of enkephalins, the brains natural pain killer neurotransmitter.

    cheers
    Cheeky and NYG, I have no idea why this is not a hot topic within the opiate recovering community. It makes so much sense that if this stuff will destroy or at least slow down the enzyme responsible for breaking down our bodies natural pain killers/mood stabilizers, that we should all look into taking this after detox. I have even read about people using this to take less pain medication. That's right, we could have probably used less narcotic if we had supplemented w/ DLPA. It can be used with or without OTC pain meds or narcotic pain meds. Unreal huh ?
    Later family,
    Steve

  21. #21
    newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,115

    Default

    I have a quick question. Is it sold in health food stores, regular drug stores or by perscription?

  22. #22
    PeterRabbit2 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    666

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by ARTIST658 View Post
    There is no "easy route" out of addiction - and I don't know why folks expect that there "should" be. That confuses me. Maybe it's because we're drug addicts, and we've become used to quick fixes - so we figure there "must" be a quick fix out of addiction, isn't there? After all, the "quick fix" got us INto addiction, didn't it?

    Before I'd ever become a slave to a year of suboxone, clonazepan (klonopin), ambien and adderol, I'd find a way to put myself into a detox center and rough it out for a week (or more, if needed) - under medical supervision. I seriously question any shrink who thinks that crazy concoction of addictive medications is the answer to addiction recovery!!!

    Yes, I have done it. Yes, it's hard. Yes, it sucks. But, like most things in life, anything worth having is worth the effort to get there. If it were easy, we wouldn't need boards like these, nor programs like NA and AA. If it were easy, I would not have had to commit myself to 6 months of in-patient treatment, which is what I did, years ago, to stay clean. When you're serious about recovery, you stop lamenting what can't be done - and you seize onto what CAN be done... and you do it.

    God bless,
    Ruth
    Ruth, you are spot on correct. Well said, especially about the point of this being done under in-patient care!
    Last edited by PeterRabbit2; 05-26-2010 at 01:54 PM.
    Peter

  23. #23
    intelmetal is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New Orleans, La. USA
    Posts
    598

    Default DLPA or DL-phenylalanine

    Quote Originally Posted by newyorkgal View Post
    I have a quick question. Is it sold in health food stores, regular drug stores or by perscription?
    NYG, you can get it at most health food stores. I bought some at a local store here in New Orleans called "The Vitamin Store". It was packaged by an outfit called "Bluebonnet Nutrition Corporation". They are headquartered at 12915 Dairy Ashford, Sugar Land, Texas 77478 USA.

    I would not take it with subs though, only after your finished with opiates. This will work best. You do not want to allow the sub to hang around longer due to the DLPA's ability to destroy the enzyme responsible for ridding your body of opiates. Once you are off of the opiates, your body will start to make it's own endorphins and this specific blend of an essential amino acid ( L-phenylalanine ) and a mirror image of it ( D-phenylalanine ) create DLPA, which will help you through detox withdrawals along with PAWS. It is non-addictive, non-toxic, and has few or no side effects.
    You can take it with OTC pain meds, it makes them more effective. There is almost no down side to this supplement. If you are already taking an anti-depressant check with your doctor before adding this to the mix. My doctor is very pleased with my decision to go the natural route and is extremely interested in the results it has on me (which has been fantastic by the way). Keep in mind that I did not start using this supplement until recently. It took only 2-3 days to notice major improvement for me. No more depression. No more headaches. No more back aches. Better mood.
    Steve
    Last edited by ddcmod; 05-26-2010 at 05:59 PM.

  24. #24
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    NICE!!! Keep dropping gems on us Steve! Love all of these little tips! How come this is the first time I have seen anybody talk about this stuff??
    You seem to have a very analytical mind which I can definitely appreciate! What field of work are you in if you don't mind me asking? You rock!

  25. #25
    intelmetal is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New Orleans, La. USA
    Posts
    598

    Default sub taper

    Quote Originally Posted by azul diablo View Post
    NICE!!! Keep dropping gems on us Steve! Love all of these little tips! How come this is the first time I have seen anybody talk about this stuff??
    You seem to have a very analytical mind which I can definitely appreciate! What field of work are you in if you don't mind me asking? You rock!
    azul, thanks for the kind words ! I am going to start a new thread to post tips for methadone/suboxone tapering, detox, withdrawals, PAWS, and recovery. I think that having all of the info on one thread will make it much easier for all of us. I have not used methadone since May 2, 2009 and have not used suboxone since July 19, 2009. I used Darvocet for 12 days after my last dose of sub and have been opiate free ever since. I did suffer with about 8 months of PAWS though. Don't worry about that yet, as not everyone will have to deal with PAWS. Some have short mild PAWS and some not at all.
    I am a REAL ESTATE INVESTOR, like the ones you see on TV. I buy and sell houses and vacant lots. I also build new houses ( specs ) to sell and fix up old houses to sell. Some people call it flipping, but that is only half of it. The properties I flip are " net check deals ", meaning that I only show up at the double closing to sign each sale, one to acquire and one to sell. I do them 15 minutes apart and receive a net check ( the difference between my purchase price and my sales price minus closing cost ). The average quick flip will bring in about $10,000.00. There is a lot more to it than most people realize, like finding the deals, negotiating with sellers, finding and negotiating with buyers, etc. It is very intense and rewarding if you have what it takes. Well, now you know what I do. I am very good with numbers, born that way. I actually dropped out of school in the 6th grade LOL ! I was not a dummy, just got bored with school and skipped out a lot. The reason for failing 6th grade 5 times was not attending enough days, therefore incomplete. I got great grades, just did not attend enough.
    I talk to you later. Keep doing the taper, it's important !
    Steve

  26. #26
    newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,115

    Default

    Steve, you are the best. I can't wait for that new thread with all the tips. I need to go to one place when the time comes that I need to do what you advice. Thanks so much for being there for us.

  27. #27
    cferd is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    103

    Default

    I've good things about the DLPA and the l-tyrosine, some people claim they didn't help. I take the tyrosine but will give the dpla a shot and see if I notice an improvement. Thanks for providing the information.

  28. #28
    Robert_325 is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    16,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by intelmetal View Post
    azul, thanks for the kind words ! I am going to start a new thread to post tips for methadone/suboxone tapering, detox, withdrawals, PAWS, and recovery. I think that having all of the info on one thread will make it much easier for all of us. I have not used methadone since May 2, 2009 and have not used suboxone since July 19, 2009. I used Darvocet for 12 days after my last dose of sub and have been opiate free ever since. I did suffer with about 8 months of PAWS though. Don't worry about that yet, as not everyone will have to deal with PAWS. Some have short mild PAWS and some not at all.
    I am a REAL ESTATE INVESTOR, like the ones you see on TV. I buy and sell houses and vacant lots. I also build new houses ( specs ) to sell and fix up old houses to sell. Some people call it flipping, but that is only half of it. The properties I flip are " net check deals ", meaning that I only show up at the double closing to sign each sale, one to acquire and one to sell. I do them 15 minutes apart and receive a net check ( the difference between my purchase price and my sales price minus closing cost ). The average quick flip will bring in about $10,000.00. There is a lot more to it than most people realize, like finding the deals, negotiating with sellers, finding and negotiating with buyers, etc. It is very intense and rewarding if you have what it takes. Well, now you know what I do. I am very good with numbers, born that way. I actually dropped out of school in the 6th grade LOL ! I was not a dummy, just got bored with school and skipped out a lot. The reason for failing 6th grade 5 times was not attending enough days, therefore incomplete. I got great grades, just did not attend enough.
    I talk to you later. Keep doing the taper, it's important !
    Steve




    Steve ..... while it's well known that I didn't personally find it necessary to go this route for my own benefit tapering off subs my interest in differing methodologies and also my respect for you have led me to do some research of my own on this method you have suggested. I'm on NO ego trip of any kind and if something else works for others I think it's great! I just want people to get well too, just like you do.

    What you are saying seems to potentially be scientifically sound based on my small amount of research and existing knowledge. I intend to do more reading though on this subject. I would certainly not tell anyone to not try it if they have been unsuccessful with the methods I have suggested in the past. That would be ignorant and self-absorbed to think no one else could be right. We both just want to see people get clean with the least amount of pain in the process.

    While I have always suggested other well known methods for detoxing off subs what you're suggesting here is basically sound as far as I can tell as long as it's done properly, just like I always hammer about sub usage being so critical for it to work effectively as well.

    Keep me posted if you would on anything new you come up with and if in my research I come across anything that may add to what you've already offered I'll be happy to share as well. Take care buddy and may God bless you and your family.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

  29. #29
    intelmetal is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New Orleans, La. USA
    Posts
    598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    Steve ..... while it's well known that I didn't personally find it necessary to go this route for my own benefit tapering off subs my interest in differing methodologies and also my respect for you have led me to do some research of my own on this method you have suggested. I'm on NO ego trip of any kind and if something else works for others I think it's great! I just want people to get well too, just like you do.

    What you are saying seems to potentially be scientifically sound based on my small amount of research and existing knowledge. I intend to do more reading though on this subject. I would certainly not tell anyone to not try it if they have been unsuccessful with the methods I have suggested in the past. That would be ignorant and self-absorbed to think no one else could be right. We both just want to see people get clean with the least amount of pain in the process.

    While I have always suggested other well known methods for detoxing off subs what you're suggesting here is basically sound as far as I can tell as long as it's done properly, just like I always hammer about sub usage being so critical for it to work effectively as well.

    Keep me posted if you would on anything new you come up with and if in my research I come across anything that may add to what you've already offered I'll be happy to share as well. Take care buddy and may God bless you and your family.
    Robert, thank you so much for being open minded to this slightly controversial way of getting off of subs. I never recommended it for all suboxone tapers, because I believe your system is best for the majority of opiate dependent people trying to get clean. I found that for myself (being a heavy long term methadone abuser) , that tapering off of subs was pretty difficult as they are similar to methadone (long half life) and more powerful than I anticipated. I did pretty good tapering down my sub dose to .25mgs, but never felt completely stable at that low of a dose. When I skipped my first day I freaked out and started researching anything and everything about quitting opiates. I ran across several articles where the Darvocet was mentioned as a withdrawal aid if used properly. I decided to do a test on myself with the Darvocet after taking 1 more dose of .25mgs of sub on July 19, 2009. I took 1 Darvocet n-100 in the a.m. and 1 in the p.m. I did this for 5 days straight. I then started taking 1 Darvocet n-100 in the a.m. and 1/2 of a Darvocet n-100 in the p.m. I did this for 4 days straight. On my final 3 days, I only took 1 Darvocet n-100 in the a.m. and quit on July 31, 2009. I truly believe that this method helped me to get through the worst days of withdrawal. If you remember back in July 2009, I posted something like " I think I found the Silver Bullet ", but did not reveal what it was. I was worried about giving out potentially bad information. I did not want to live with the thought of derailing someones taper, so I kept it to myself. Now I realize that for certain situations, it might be the right thing to do as a last resort. Mainly for people that cannot handle the skipping days part of your brilliant taper plan. I really like your plan and think that most people should adhere to it.
    The best part about Darvocet, is that you won't like it at all. It just mask some of the symptoms of sub withdrawal. I personally do not think that it is sought after to get high. It did not get me high. I also read that it was related to methadone, but 100 times weaker and with less abuse potential.
    To sum it up, your plan is very, very good and will work for most. The people who are finding it impossible to get off of subs or methadone should consider trying this method only when they are down to a super small dose of sub (.25mgs or less) or a small dose of methadone (2mgs or less).
    I, like you Robert, have nothing to gain by sharing/helping others and I have lost my cockiness and ego since getting clean. Hats off to you brother, we have more in common than you know !
    Now lets see if we can get a good president next time around and secure our borders !
    Say hello to Mel for me and Michelle.
    Steve

  30. #30
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    i was one of the ones who thought >> failed, i couldnt skip, and after seeing my good pal intelmetal get off, apparently "without incident" i thought it was just me.

    now i know about the silver bullet thing, i dont feel so bad. in fact my opinion has changed considerably lately, i aint no failure for not gettin off subs, on the 25% every 4 day taper,
    my life is heaps better than it used to be. im on a low dose of sub, usually .5 on chemist day, .25 the other days. this stuff IS HARD TO GET OFF. even at these low doses, its the RLS that gives me the hardest time.

    but i think steve, you are correct, a lot of people who have done lots of pills, are not in the same league as the hard core long term methadone people, i think our receptors are burnt raw or something, coz it does seem to be harder for us, than the pillheads. (no offence to you "pillheads" out there.), then you add the iv part, and its a whole other can of worms. its all relative.

    im sayin this, coz i have felt a little intimidated at times, to say how i really feel,

    as my doctor says, so what if you need longer to come off, as its said here plenty of times, "it took you years to get here", so whats the hurry to get off. as long as you are moving forward with your life, i cant see the problem.

    me too. now i know one day i wanna be clean, but im pretty darn sure, IF i had managed to get clean say in 3 months, i wouldve gone back to my old ways and that would not be a success in my books. ive relapsed heaps, and want to get it right this time.

    thanks steve for your honesty, i know sometimes it seems there is only one way to skin this cat called subs, but ya know, theres more than one way.
    i commend you for coming out and saying how you did it.
    im not sayin i can do it either, it might be hard, but at least i know i aint the failure i once thought i was. no way.

    thanks mate
    cheeky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22