Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
Advice for Methadone Taper Plan
    2BeFreeofThem is offline Member

Default Advice for Methadone Taper Plan

Hi I have spent a little time browsing the site and hoped that someone would be able to assist me in devising a methadone taper plan. I have been on methadone through my pain mgt doctors for approx. 8 yrs and the last two years the average dose was 70-80mg. (before that I had been on pain med monthly on a per needed basis since I was 15 and I am now 42) After having 6 surgeries, I am finally feeling better and want to began reducing the methadone and hopefully be completely free of it if possible, well I am determined to make that part happen.

Before when I needed to reduce after surgery my previous pain mgt doctor always assisted me in my plan and had no problems. We moved and now this new doctor said to just reduce it as it feels comfortable. I don't mind discomfort if it helps to get off of this medication. At the time it was a life saver, due to numerous allergies and health issues it was the best long term pain medication choice for me, partly due to the low cost.

Anyway, I am seeking help to taper and know it will take a plan and time, I have the time and determination, now I need a good proven plan. I tend to do better with plans and goals, so if anyone would please share their knowledge and what has worked for them I would be very thankful.

I guess it would help to state that I am now at 60mg, I went down 10mg each week for two weeks, since I had not been on 80mg for long I knew that would not be a problem. I did just fine with that and will soon have been a full week at 60mg.

I can get the doctor to switch my medication over once I get on a lower dose but I would rather be free of the methadone and then see what my pain situation is like before making that decision, now that may not be possible but its what I am hoping for but the goal is to get off of the methadone.
    Thanks to anyone who can help.
    Last edited by 2BeFreeofThem; 06-19-2013 at 03:13 PM.

I did locate on an older thread where someone stated that 10-15% drop every few weeks was a good place to start until you get to the lower doses then take it slower with just 1mg drops. I have never went all the way down on a taper without switching over to other shorter acting narcotics so Im not sure how to do the taper in the final steps.
    If I taper to say 1/2mg or even less will the physical wd's be less than if I was to stop at a slightly higher dose. I keep reading that its best to take your time and slowly taper with methadone and I have no problem doing that and have always been pretty good with tapering down on my medications. This only scares me because I once had to go 5 days without my medication. My doctor writes for a 30 day supply but I often make it last much longer so when I did it one time and then called to make my appt. I got a shock that he was out of the country for 13 days. I had already made that script last 48 days. I felt terrible for 2 of those 5 days in so much pain because it was prior to my last surgery and I felt the horrible flu like symptoms as well. I hope to not be in the pain I was then, and shouldn't be since I am feeling better than I have in years, but I would like a chance to be off everything and want to make sure I do it the way that will be ensure my success. Another big plus is that I am taking my 12yr old to Japan in May of next year and found out today that you cannot take methadone into the country... so just one more reason to do this now.
    Please if anyone can add any suggestions, I have read the Thomas method info. I would appreciate your help. So many stories I have read have actually scared me about this and I went into this so excited to finally be in a place to do this. I know my pain mgt doctor will do whatever he needs to make it easier but I dont want to prolong it or switch over without being completely off methadone. Is this realistic... I would think so or should I follow his plan to switch.. would it be easier to taper off another medication?? My old pain doctor gave me so much good info and discussed different options, I really miss him at this point.
    Hoping someone can help.

whatsinaname is offline Platinum Member

Hey 2befreed,

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately I don't have the answer to your question. I just didn't want you to think no ones reading. Hopefully Cheeky will come on and can answer your question better than I can. I know she as experience with methadone.... I've taken it before but never tapered off of it. I don't want to give bad info....

Thanks for the post. I know there are alot of really helpful people on here from reading soooo many post. I have no problem waiting for someone knowledgeable to reply, and I appreciate your welcome and encouragement. I read several of your post today in fact. I have learned so much from this site. I wish I would have visited it months ago. I have a 18yr old niece that I love dearly but unfortunately her 2yr pain pill addiction has even caused her to steal my medication. Many of the stories gave me inspiration not only for me to be free of methadone but for her future as well.
    I will now help her pay for subs after reading about them on this forum. Other family has refused thinking they were like methadone or just more narcotics but I see it may actually be the best treatment available for her at the moment. so glad I read those threads.
    And if anyone can tell me if she is already willing to take the subs would it be a good idea to help her pay for them?? I dont want to do something to make the situation worse but if it would help her get back on the right track I am all for it. She has been trying on her own but relapses and said the subs would help her get to where she could work etc.. Is this true?
    I know its alot of questions but I was so inspired and happy to see she may be right this time and I would do anything to help her. Both her parents are deceased (My sister last year from a drunk driver and her dad 7yrs before was shot while at work he was a detective)

Hey 2befreed,

Ask as many questions as you need to. This forum is incredible. So many wonderful people have helped and guided me to be where I am today. CLEAN and I couldn't be happier or more grateful. So know you will receive the support you need!

Subs I can kind of speak to. As I used them as a tool to get clean. I think they can be a great way to get free from the pills. Just keep in mind they are an opiate so are addictive as well. Most doctors have no clue how powerful subs are and over prescribe it. They tend to have people on large amounts and for way too long.

If she's going to use subs, read the sub therapy plan on this site. Ill post the link below. If she follows this plan she can get free, if she really wants it that is!!

Here's the link to the sub plan many have used here, including me!
    http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html

whats Thanks so much for the link. I want to help her but I'm afraid she will do it her way as she often does and think more is better.
    We live in seperate states at the moment but in mid July we will be together. I think I am going to propose that she start this when she is with my husband and I and agree to follow this more tried and proven method. I think if she has someone to supervise her closely she is more likely to follow the plan correctly and she will be away from all her friends who are still using. She has one friend on subs but she has distanced herself from my niece while she is trying to get clean and has urged her in this direction.
    I hope if she wants it for herself that she will be open to this course, when we first spoke about this she said a year or two on subs was the norm, and I just was not sure what to do, one its alot of money to spend on her treatment, and we dont mind spending it if its what is best and will truly help her.
    I guess a good talk is in order and I hope she is open to a shorter period on subs, I know I would feel better about supporting her all around with this method. I'm just learning this week about them so I am still a little scared, especially knowing the drs dont seem to know what they are doing.
    Thanks again for the input. Just maybe I can get her to read some of the great threads I came across today including yours. Maybe hearing it from those who have truly experienced it will help her more than I can even as a loving aunt.

cheeky is offline Diamond Member

hey there. yup I have tapered off methadone, down to zero before... unfortunately that was on a program and I was using on the side, so it was a waste.. I ended up moving to Australia and going cold turkey hard, and boy you don't want to do that off methadone... its about 8 weeks of hell I promise you....

in my opinion, you should taper yourself down to 30mg, and then switch to subs. it is so much easier to taper using them. for one, you don't really notice the drops as long as you use the 25% plan and go slow, as slow as you need. often us methadone people need a lot longer, but slow and steady and it can be done... I got on subs in 09 and used them for 15 months. half of that I had got down to .5mg and had just stayed there, as a back up, and to be sure I didn't use.... it worked. I have been off since December 10, so I have had all 2011,12 and this far, CLEAN... WOO HOOO, its great, no chains to hold me any more...

so that's what I would recommend, specially since you have been on for a few years... when dropping your dose, from 60mg, I would try 5mg at a time, and once you feel stable again, then go for another drop.... till you get to 30 then switch...

its very hard to taper off using methadone. you still suffer,, subs for me was a wonder tool, and I would always suggest someone trying to get off methadone to use this method...

good luck. im in nz, so my time zone is different, but I will check up on this thread and see how ya goin...

just know its possible.. to get free.... you can do it... and so can your neice... use the subs... very valuable tool....

Hey and thanks cheeky for responding.

How would the subs work for me. Just to get off the methadone easier. I will probably be left with some pain that will need control from time to time or even a daily basis Im not sure yet. With the last 3 surgeries I have gotten more relief (two of them were this year the last one 7wks ago)

I would not be able to take anything for pain while on the subs but it would help with the pain while using them is this correct?

How long would I have to wait to use any other type of narcotic pain reliever once I stop the subs?

Wonder why my pain mgt doctor didn't suggest this, I have discovered so much on this site. He thought reducing so soon after surgery was a bad idea but I have not had the same level of pain. The methadone never really took care of all my pain it just brought it to a manageable level before surgery and now I just don't feel that pain I had before. I had no problem coming down 20mgs but I think I will take your advice and slow it down a bit now and make sure Im stable on each dose before I reduce.

I was looking at the subs for my niece and never thought it could be an option for me. If I taper to 30mg and did the plan Robert has that I was going to use for my niece I could be off methadone in a shorter amount of time than expected without rushing it and it might make the process a little easier.

My only issue is if I needed medication for the pain once I am off the methadone, my two conditions will never go away but I have at least some temp relief from this last group of surgeries. So it depends on how long you have to be off subs to take anything. I never had a problem either stopping or tapering my pain medication until I was on methadone, and I feel I can taper it but I know I could not stop it ct or would not wish to if possible, although I envy those that have. It causes my Crohn's issues to worsen. BTW the Crohn's is not the cause of the majority of my pain.

Its a lot to consider and I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. I tried to read as much as I could this week and have found this site to be a wonderul find. If I knew I could be off the methadone through this process and OK to take pain meds again by November, I think I would go this route. I have one other surgery I need but it should only require a few weeks to heal and I was told it is one of the most painful surgeries to have but I should not need the meds more than 3wks.

Wow I am so excited to know I have another option too!! Now I just have to make myself take it slow and not rush the taper and decide which road to take.

not sure why you would want to be taking 'narcotics' for pain after getting off methadone, I thought you wanted to taper to get off.?

subs are by far easier to taper with in my humble opinion... and countless others on here... im not sure why you want to get off methadone then. little confused here.

no subs are not as good for pain... they are used in micro doses for pain. .2mg and .4mg, and larger doses for opiod addiction... you are an addict.. you can use any type of narcotic after taking subs, but they will not take full effect till the subs are well out of your system.

are you wanting to get off opiates altogether.? or just to reassess your pain levels.? im not sure here why you want to taper down now....

its late here, I will check back in in the morning....

ok I see, another surgery coming up... if you use subs, and taper off... then you can use the other pain meds after your surgery with no problems... you just have to be aware you may set off your addiction again... most often people being on long term opiod treatment, have rebound pain, that is, the darned addiction causes more pain than the actual pain itself. once OFF all opiates, often OTC meds will work..

least you have a few options, glad of that for you....

Hey 2befreed,

I'm so glad Cheeky checked in with you. Listen to her she knows her stuff!!!

There are also a lot of people here with chronic pain who have found that once they got off opiates, their pain was much more tolerable.....are you planning to have more surgeries?

I understand what your saying but I have at least two more surgeries this year, but I dont want to take the methadone everyday if I don't need either this much now, or only need meds for breakthrough, or just for surgery. And how will I know until I am either off of it or at least reduced down. If ever there was a good time for me to do this it would be now while the pain is under control and I have several months before my next surgery.
    Unfortunately, my next surgery is for a rectal prolaspe and prolasped and trombosed hem, and is very painful, I know because I have had surgery for one of these conditions 10yrs ago, and out of all the surgeries (21 to date) it was the most painful and longest recovery.
    My pain dr. said I should stay on something but I cannot understand why I should continue to take the same amounts if my pain has improved since my surgery. That is why I wanted off methadone and if I had to take something then let it be for as needed or at least something not as strong. Why would I want to continue with the current meds if my pain is better. I've been told this last surgery should give me at least 8 months of relief so I want to take advantage of that time and lower my dose or at least change to something less than methadone.
    Maybe I should have explained this better. It was suggested I get a pump but I just dont get taking meds when I dont need them all the time now, what was the point in going through all the surgeries and recovery time to just keep on the meds. Sure my pain is better and it was the goal and part of what I looked forward to was not having to take so much medication, not just pain medication but all the others needed for my treatment.
    As for surgeries later on, yes only one other that is planned next year and it will be a laproscopic ab surgery but I usually only have pain from those for two or three days.
    I never had any issues stopping the medications after surgery or when I was on them long term. I did have to taper a few times but it was really easy, it was not until this methadone that just stopping it became an issue.

Anyway today I reduced my dose by another 5mg, and don't expect it to really be a problem but I will wait to make sure I am stable and reduce another 5mg in a week or so. So I am at 55mg now. Cannot tell you how great it feels to be able to reduce (and I was so tempted to reduce by 10mg but I want to follow the advice given and not rush it) The surgery success was the best and this is just icing on the cake for me. Not that coming off methadone is easy but the fact I am in a positon to lower it and hopefully come off it is the icing Im referring to.
    Well I will at least post on my reductions until I have a clear plan on what to do after that..will see how it goes and pray about what route to take.
    Thanks to all who offered information here and throughout the forums its appreciated and given me a lot to consider. Its a shame the doctors don't offer as much knowledge and support. If left up to my doctor I would stay on this at the current dose..just doesnt make sense to me.

Hey 2befreed,

Ah I mustve missed the additional surgeries. Sorry about that!! Well it sounds like your head isin the right place. That is really the most important thing!! I'm sorry you are dealing with so much. My heart really goes out to you.... keep posting and let us know how your feeling.

cool cool. reduce as much as you can that's a good idea... hey, just one thing, do you know that methadone is notorious for causing constipation, and in turn, other 'rectal' problems.... just letting you know is all...

gota go out mate, but I see what you are on about now.... will check in with you later. you sound like your head is screwed on. no worries....

hi whats

cheeky
    Having crohn's, all the methadone has done is to make me more normal in that sense(not sure how to explain)....wish I could have constipation. But I know for many others this is a problem when taking most narcotic pain medication.
    Unfortunately, I have had these same issues since I was about 12, it just took 3 yrs to get a proper diagnosis.
    My current situation requiring surgery, is due to an unsuccessful sugery earlier on with a bowel resection and other corrective procedures that eventually created more problems years later.
    But the good thing is, I can treat much of the pain from my present crohn's related problem with lidocaine gels, rowasa etc...mostly topical internal and external, and just by staying off my feet at times, without these topicals I would require some type of pain medication.

Thank you to both you and whats for being concerned enough to at least ask questions, make recommendations and even for attempting to ensure that I was making the right decisions.

I am still at 55mg and it has gone fine, but I know that its only been a short while since the change. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact I am feeling sooooo much better physically than I have in several years. I have waited for the day I could toss away so much of the medication, not just the methadone, but a ton of others, even the nausea meds..ugh.
    I cannot tell you how elated I feel just to be able to reduce my methadone dose. At first I was very frustrated at the fact I would become sick with the side effects if I just stopped the methadone. It was like the medication was in charge, telling me what I had to do...don't know if it makes sense or not but its how I felt. How dare it do this, I have went thru hell to get better, and now I will pay the price for the pain relief I needed to make it thru this hell.
    The only regret I have is maybe telling my dr. to try and help me find a cheaper pain medication, but at the time I could not afford several of the other options. Maybe they would have been just a tad easier to stop without the long drawn out wds. But I would be lying to say that it did not help me at the time, because it allowed me to return to being a mommy and wife, I was able to be up and out of bed, and not missing out on so much of life.
    I have sympathy for anyone trying to stop this medication...no matter how they started on it or used it..we all experience the same wds symptoms.
    As a daughter of an alcoholic father, and having attended meetings with my sibling and mother early in life to learn to cope with his disease, I decided to never drink (which I dont, tried in college but made my crohn's worse), I was always very cautious about taking anything that had the potential to be addictive, even behaviours, it was drilled into my head that I was probably genetically predisposed to addiction because of our family history. Until I went to pain mgt., I caused myself to suffer more, because I would wait until the pain was unbearable before taking my medication, thus requiring more in the long run to get it back under control, all in the name of trying to be responsible. I spent so much time monitoring myself to make sure I didn't abuse the meds, because as I stated it was drilled into my thought process. But I still end up here on a medication that is physically challenging to stop.
    Thanks for letting me rant...now I am going to let that part go and enjoy my current status of having less pain and feeling better. I have a move and a new house to look forward too..plus celebrating 20yrs with my wonderful husband this week.

Felt no different reducing to 55mg so today I decided to go to 50mg. I think I will be fine, I don't expect any real issues until I get to the lower doses and that is when I plan to take it slower if I continue with the straight methadone taper as opposed to the subs. But if I decide on subs I could be thru this with less symptoms, and maybe even a little sooner (but not by rushing the process)
    Well at least I am now taking 30mg less than when I started this taper a little over 2 wks ago, and I'm taking40mg less than I am prescribed. Now to have this talk with my pain mgt doctor the first week of July. Hoping to be at an even lower dose by that time.
    Just happy that I have noticed no ill side effects from reducing...actually I have had more energy(it could be from doing more juicing), and still sleeping good, but I'm still at a pretty high level at 50mgs.

Been at 50mgs for a few days now and still feel no different with the reduction. I'm tempted to reduce another 5mg in a day or so. Wonder if this is ok. In two weeks and 5days I have reduced 30mg and never once felt the reduction. I know others said slow and steady with the methadone taper, I am concerned since it has such a long half life and the amount of time I have been on methadone. I was thinking I should wait a month or at least two wks to make sure its not going to catch up with me for doing this too fast. Wish I had someone with some experience tell me if I can go ahead and reduce more since I am fine or should i hang on a wait to see if going fast is going to catch up with me due to the half life.
    Someone said in a post if your not feeling the taper a little then your not tapering agressively enough, yet most say to not reduce more than a certain amount in a certain amount of time, that it needs to be slow and steay. I dont mind doing that when it gets a little more difficult at the lower dose but I guess I should go with the majority of what I read and not rush this even if I feel good at each reduction.
    So I will give it a little longer to see how its going to effect me and then start tapering by the way so many threads state. But I am definately considering going to subs from 20mg, if I can be off those in a shorter amount of time. Just hate taking this much when dont need it and when Ive been fine with reducing.
    Uggh hate getting impatient..so slow is how I plan to go and just be thankful that tapering has been so easy thus far because Im not naive enough to think that it wont eventually be a bugger when the doses get lower.

Hey 2be,

I don't have the experience with methadone.... I think some things are true across the board though. Someone will come on and correct me if I'm wrong.... if your feeling fine, I say reduce it again. I don't see why you couldn't even do it weekly IF and only IF your still feeling good....

That's just my opinion! Your doing really great though!! I'm reallllly impressed by how good your doing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2BeFreeofThem View Post
    Been at 50mgs for a few days now and still feel no different with the reduction. I'm tempted to reduce another 5mg in a day or so. Wonder if this is ok. In two weeks and 5days I have reduced 30mg and never once felt the reduction. I know others said slow and steady with the methadone taper, I am concerned since it has such a long half life and the amount of time I have been on methadone. I was thinking I should wait a month or at least two wks to make sure its not going to catch up with me for doing this too fast. Wish I had someone with some experience tell me if I can go ahead and reduce more since I am fine or should i hang on a wait to see if going fast is going to catch up with me due to the half life.
    Someone said in a post if your not feeling the taper a little then your not tapering agressively enough, yet most say to not reduce more than a certain amount in a certain amount of time, that it needs to be slow and steay. I dont mind doing that when it gets a little more difficult at the lower dose but I guess I should go with the majority of what I read and not rush this even if I feel good at each reduction.
    So I will give it a little longer to see how its going to effect me and then start tapering by the way so many threads state. But I am definately considering going to subs from 20mg, if I can be off those in a shorter amount of time. Just hate taking this much when dont need it and when Ive been fine with reducing.
    Uggh hate getting impatient..so slow is how I plan to go and just be thankful that tapering has been so easy thus far because Im not naive enough to think that it wont eventually be a bugger when the doses get lower.
    go for it.!!! if you are feeling fine, seriously go for it. drop drop till you feel it... then steady up for a bit.. oh yeh take this chance mate and run with it...

you will know when you feel it, and then I suggest stickin there for at least a week.. but otherwise this might just be the luckiest time of your life. I would have loved to have tapers go like that when I was trapped on the 'done..

good luck and as we say over here ''go hard ""

oh and energy levels, that's great you feel more energy, don't forget methadone is a massive central nervous system depressant, so we end up nodding and sitting around not doing much at all. very unmotivated...

when you do get off there will be a period of some lethargy that can linger, but you might be lucky with that as well, and breeze on thru it... keep up that great attitude and you have a decent armoury to fight this demon.

whats..thank you for your support and encouragement, and for the feedback, I really appreciate it!!! I read so much of what you write on these forums and I always get something really good from it, so thank you!!!

cheeky..I cannot tell you how much your feedback means knowing your background and history with methadone. I am THRILLED to be able to taper again, and your encouragement means alot, with the wisdom and knowledge you've gained, I know that between your response and whats, that I am getting good sound proven advice...SO TAPER step up it is...YEAH!!

You guys really made my day. We are packing up and moving this weekend and I knew this would be an opportunity for me to test myself physically. While I have been able to slowly progress with exercise over the last few months, I knew moving could be a situation that would throw me into pain by the night. Even though I have this big burly husband telling me he will do the heavy lifting, I'm always pushing myself, not wanting to let anything hold me back from doing what I want to do, letting my illness control me physically...just plain STUBBORN.

Well, last night wasnt too bad, a little pain but I was soooo tired I fell right to sleep and slept very good. I'm going to reduce my dose by 5mg on Monday, then if I do fine for 2-3 days, I'm going to go down another 5mg. that would have me at 40mg by say Friday or Saturday. I don't think I will really start feeling some of the problems with reducing until I get below 30-40mg, and think those should be OK, as long as I wait to get stable before reducing.

I cannot tell you how thankful I am that the first part of this taper has been so easy for me...I kept thinking this is too easy so something is probably about to catch up with me, that is why I made that last post.

I've gone without my meds before and know what its like for me around the end of day 3 so I know what can happen, but with the wonderful feedback from you guys, I can feel confident to move forward and know that I should just count myself lucky at this point.

But like I said...I know all too well it will come and I have no problem if it wants to wait for a little longer to rear its ugly head, but I'm preparing myself to meet it head on when it does. I'm also VERY fortunate to have a very supportive husband and daughter, who understand my situation, and do everything in their power to make sure I can do what is needed to take care of myself...its what saddens me most when I read other posts, I cannot imagine going it alone, I love this site because others know EXACTLY how you feel and have knowledge to share but my real support comes from GOD, and my family.

BTW had some good news, they are going to do my laproscopic surgery at the same time as my rectal surgery, so I will only need the 1 combo surgery..YEAH!!!!!!!!! Its been a busy week, but a really GOOD one. I want to post the good days, so when things are hard, I can look back and know..this too shall pass and good days will return.

Hey 2befreed,

I'm sooooooo proud of you!!! You've got such an amazingly positive attitude!! I just know your going to get through this and beat this thing..... your doing really really awesome!!!! You make it easy to want to help you. I really mean that.....

I'm so happy for you!! I really can't wait for you to see how good things are on this side of things!

Big hugs!!

whats...Thank you..it really means alot. I know I have a supportive spouse but its so refreshing to talk about this to those that know and have traveled the road before me. And its just another means to keep me on course.
    Well after posting...and packing many more boxes...I'm quiet tired but feel pretty decent physically, this time a few months ago it would not have been possible...it just reassures me of the success from my last surgery and that in turn lets me know I made the right decision at the right time to get off of methadone.

I have now decided to go ahead tommorrow and reduce another 5mg...no reason to wait. I don't really expect much to change with that 5mg drop but I know its a matter of time. I think I might be stronger mentally to fight at the end having been able to go through this first part with no real noticeable side effects...actually have felt better..more energy.

I will never fail to be thankful that I've not experienced problems early on...cannot believe by Friday I may be at 40mgs, that would mean I've tapered half of my original dose in a little over 3 weeks, but I am still open to slowing down when the time comes..just would love to be at 40mg on Friday or Saturday.

Thanks again for the support and positive feedback...it really helps.

Hey B,

Thanks so much for the post on my thread. I really appreciate the support from you too!!! You're doing so great and I'm so happy for you!!! Your doing something that few can do. You should be very proud of yourself. 45 mg is freakin AWESOME!!!!! Your moving it along too! Great job!!

Due to our move I haven't been able to post until now, but I'm still moving forward with reducing my methadone. Today will be my 2nd day at 35mg. When I reached 40mg I noticed the drop just a tad but stayed with it til it was better, and I could notice a little with the drop to 35mg but nothing to really bother me, still sleeping good, got good energy, and no tummy issues..or anxiety, so I hope it keeps going smoothly for a bit longer, I keep waiting for it to really effect me, I feel lucky, but I still know it will eventually catch up with me, but just greatful until that day arrives. I went to my pain mgt. appt this week but my regular dr was out but the staff were quiet surprised to hear how far I had reduced without any bad side effects in such a short time. My blood work will confirm the levels if they had any doubt, lets see how my dr takes it when I see him in 4wks, I should be farther along then. Not sure if I'm going to switch to subs, if I do it will be when I start having issues with the lower doses of methadone, going to stick with what is working at the moment. Just wanted to post an update. YEAH 35mgs from 80mgs with VERY little effects. So HAPPY!!!!
    whatsinaname likes this.

Hey B,

I was just thinking about you!! Im SOOOOOOOO PROUD OF YOU!!!!!!! You are really an inspiration to me Lady! Not many people can do what you have done.... I was a little worried that you hadnt posted, but really I shouldve know better. You are determined to beat this thng. Great job!!!! BIG HUGS!!

whats
    A BIG Thank You to you. Me an inspiration...I don't see that. but reading your posts are what I'd call an INSPIRATION. I do feel a little odd posting after each reduction since I've not really had any negative side effects. I have noticed small little things with the last two drops but nothing like what I've read about or experienced when I ran out of meds before. The 2nd day of the last two drops I did notice I'm a little more irritable but my 13yr old daughter and husband are very supportive and understanding, and we end up joking around about it if it happens and that brings me right out of it. They know its out of character for me and make me feel better and not guilty, knowing its for the long term goal I've set.
    I don't know when I will start experiencing the wd symptoms on a larger scale and with each reduction the anxiety seems to come from not knowing if its this dose thats going to set off those symptoms I experienced before..if that makes sense. When this happens I try to remind myself how fortunate I've been, that I'm sooo much farther along than I thought possible a month ago. In about six wks time I've gone slightly lower than half my normal dose and while that feels great, I know at some point the problems of coming off methadone will rear its ugly head.
    I have to remind myself I can always slow it down if needed and I'm really only one reduction away from switching to subs if I need to go that route. I wish I could just take it for what it was right now...smooth and worry about the other when it happens.
    For now I count myself extremely blessed to have made it this far with so little noticable side effects and will just keep reminding myself that no matter what lies ahead I will deal with it and make it to the other side. Its your posts any so many others on this site that give me the courage to face it head on and come out on the other side..no matter how long this taper takes.
    Thanks again for your support and encouragement and the day will come when I'm sure I will REALLY need all I can get. Hope you have a really great day. Kat
    whatsinaname likes this.

Is your name Kat? Your doing AMAZING! Just keep doing what you are doing..... Others are going to get so much out of your journey.... As hard as it is, try not to WAIT for the bad symptoms. I know its stressful and scary. Totally get that. You just dont want to will any symptoms that you wouldnt otherwise have had. Just stay POSITIVE!! You should be thinking postive, your doing AMAZING!!!!!!

Hugs
    Whats

Whats
    Great advice, and I really agree with you. Any anxiety I've had I caused myself and was not from the taper, so I need to take the advice to stay positive. Its funny but only the 2nd day of the drops does this even occur but your advice is the best plan to follow. Thanks. Yes my name is Kat.
    whatsinaname likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast