Abused pain meds for 3 years, tolerance, then accident...severe pain
    billy5 is offline New Member

Default Abused pain meds for 3 years, tolerance, then accident...severe pain

I started 3 years ago with hydrocodone. I took 5mg one night and the feeling was amazing. I went from being depressed, anxious, boring, and socially awkward to a brand new happy, motivated, social guy. Over three years I obtained a nice paying job, a wonderful girlfriend, and plenty of big boy toys. All because of opiates. By 2012 my tolerance had grown, I needed at least 30mg of hydrocodone or 25mg of oxycodone in order to feel good. Oxycodone became my absolute favorite. I took 25mg in the morning, 25mg in the afternoon, then another 25mg at midnight every single day for about 8 or 9 months. Then I got into an accident, I'll spare the details, but I broke a few bones and got a piece of flesh tore off from my leg.

In the hospital for 2 days in severe pain, enough to make me cry and grit my teeth. The doctors started me on morphine, but I knew the doses were much too low for my tolerance. I still cried every time they moved me, I never asked for higher doses. I just couldn't tell them I abused narcotics, they'd blacklist me and prevent me from ever getting prescribed. They gave up on morphine, and started me with a typical dose of IV Dilaudid. This was slightly effective, but still not enough. Over a period of 48 hours they continuously increased the dosage until we finally reached one that was effective. They said it was triple the standard dose, and I received a shot of it every 2 hours. They just couldn't believe that they were able to slam that high of a dose into me with no anti-nausea medication every two hours, and it didn't hardly affect me. The pain was so severe because I was seriously injured and withdrawaling from narcotics at the same time. I loved every minute of the IV Dilaudid, and I was spot on every two hours asking for it. IV Dilaudid rush became the best feeling I ever had in my LIFE, period. This is when the doctor's suspicion began.

By the 3rd day, my pain was getting better under control, but still quite severe to the point where I could barely get out of bed. I knew the Dilaudid dose I was receiving was still much too low. Doctor decided 7.5mg of oxycodone. I knew this was much too low of a dose, but I took it anyway. I was reduced to tears from the pain yet again, and asked if a higher dose was safe and/or possible The nurse stated that there is no higher dose than 7.5mg, and me being stupid I said yes there is oxycodone comes everywhere from 5mg to 80mg doses. The doctors and nurses were getting highly suspicious of me, constantly questioning me about my past experience with pain medication. I told them I've taken vicodin for wisdom teeth and hemorrhoid surgeries, but never regularly. The doctor eventually said to me in a very angry tone of voice "You've taken narcotics before, and you've taken a lot of them. Don't even try to lie to me buddy." I still denied everything, and said I must be metabolizing the medication too fast or something.

The 4th day I was at the hospital, nurse came in and said the doctor raised my pain medication to 25mg of oxycodone. The nurse couldn't believe it, and said a dose that high would probably make me zonked out. I knew it wouldn't though. I knew this would take me out of pain. 45 minutes after dosing, my pain was so far reduced that it was almost non-existent. I was able to get right up out of bed, walk around, use the bathroom, everything on my own. Doctor released me 1 hour later with a prescription for 90 Percocet 10mg tablets, which was just amazing for me because that's my drug of choice.

Why would the doctor suddenly decide to dose me 25mg of oxycodone? That's a big jump from 7.5mg. Why didn't he try 10mg or 15mg first? There's no way he could have known without a shadow of a doubt my tolerance was 25mg, I denied all accusations of ever using pain medication in the past. I'm glad he gave me 25mg, but was completely unexpected.

I was just so afraid to tell the doctor that I had an opiate tolerance. I didn't want to get arrested for pain medication abuse, and I didn't want the hospital to put me on the narcotics blacklist. Since this incident, I've tapered my dose to 35mg a day, although it's not very effective at all, and I am now legitimately prescribed to pain medication.
    Last edited by billy5; 07-27-2012 at 12:02 AM.

surfdog is offline Senior Member

Are you wanting to get clean? Dog

billy5 is offline New Member

Yes and no. I went clean for 2 months during my 3 year stint of abuse. After withdrawaling, I went back to the way I was before opiates. Identical. I hated that, and resumed the opiate use. The only reason I quit for those 2 months was to lower my tolerance, but as I found...my tolerance was only lowered for 3 days. 3 days after resuming opiates my tolerance was right back to normal, it's permanent.

Do I want to quit? No. Will I eventually be forced to quit? Definitely.

surfdog is offline Senior Member

So at this point you do not want to get clean is that right Dog