8 MG XANAX and 8 Vicodin a day
    soklear is offline New Member

Default 8 MG XANAX and 8 Vicodin a day

I just found out that a friend of mine's husband has been RX'd and been taking 8 MG of Xanax and 8 Vicodin a day.

An actual Internal Medicine doctor, not a qualified psychiatrist, is writing him these RX's.

He has no injury to justify the Vicodin.
    He has anxiety, but - not enough to justify 8 MG (in my opinion).

He has been taking these pills for 2 years.

As a background (and my editorial) The irony here is that the doctor gave him the RX's to get him 'off' of pot. Which makes absolutely NO sense - seeing pot isnt physically (yet to be proven) addictive, but may be emotionally addictive - Indicating anxiety and/or depression or a deeper physchiatric problem. Obviously he is trying to escape... I could go on in speculation.

I am truly concerned about his liver, kidneys and the obvious emotional issues that come along with this type of possible addiction.
    Does anyone have advice? I feel as though this is an extremely dangerous combination as both are highly addictive.

Thank you -
    Bob

Dave87666 is offline Member

Yeah this guy needs to go see a real Dr. 2 years at these amounts there is no doubt that he is addicted to both these drugs...Make sure he doesnt attempt to cold turkey the Xanax(could honestly kill him)...He is either going to have to be weened down to normal doses and deal with it or go to a detox center for proper detox,and then go on the right meds...Im sorry but he has a problem with both of these drugs...

soklear is offline New Member

Can you involuntarily be made to goto DETOX? Im assuming not unless the person presents physical harm to himself or others. Then a Psych hospital and then detox.

Dave87666 is offline Member

If he is an adult(since he's married I assume that he is) then I am 99% sure that he cant be involuntary commited to detox unless like you say he presents a harm to himself,or others.In which case you would have to bring him to a hospital(probably through ER) where they would check him out,talk to him and give him 2 options vol. or invol...This actually happened to me the first time I went to a detox/rehab because I had OD'ed and they gave me those same choices(I took vol. b/c it was nicer then invol.)...Does he ever talk suicide?If so that is reason enough to take him to the hospital...The one part I DONT like about this approach is that if HE doesnt want help,then its really not going to work for him...

This really hits home because it happened to me I really wish you guys the best of luck,and if you need anymore advice or someone to talk to my email addy is hitinthc1@aol.com,and my name is Dave