1500 mgs acetaminophen in one dose
    The Hobbit is offline New Member

Default 1500 mgs acetaminophen in one dose

Hi all.

I have been on pain medication daily for over two years (hydrocodone 5/500s). About a year ago I started taking three pills containing 1500 mgs of acetaminophen in one dose every 24 hours. Clearly I am well short of the recommended 4000 mg limit every day, but just how much damage can that extra pill do to my liver as a result of taking three pills rather than the recommended two? Across that year I have experienced zero ill effects, I do not drink, I run three miles daily, I am 29 years of age, active, and I feel in great condition. Would it be worth getting my liver tested?

Really looking forward to your responses, thank you.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

The max allowable in a dose of acetaminophen is 1000mg with 4000 mg in a day but that will likely be lowered soon. You're really treating your liver poorly. Seriously, not saying you'll die, saying you're treating you're body badly. Need to re-evaluate this behavior and hopefully choose to change it drastically. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    The max allowable in a dose of acetaminophen is 1000mg with 4000 mg in a day but that will likely be lowered soon. You're really treating your liver poorly. Seriously, not saying you'll die, saying you're treating you're body badly. Need to re-evaluate this behavior and hopefully choose to change it drastically. God bless.
    Thank you for the response. Would you be able to be more specific, please? Would you expect that I have damaged my liver? Should I be freaked out?

mottam is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Hobbit View Post
    Thank you for the response. Would you be able to be more specific, please? Would you expect that I have damaged my liver? Should I be freaked out?
    Hobbit:
    Go to a doc and get a CBC (Complete Blood Count). This tests checks, amonst many things, your liver enzymes. It is not a 100% test for the liver, but if it comes up ok, so should you.

mottam

When you say "unless you have serious problems (abdominal)" what do you mean? Are you referring to pain? Discomfort? The worst thing I have had is constipation but it's nowhere near as bad as when I was on codeine. That stuff was really ugly and boy did it make me itch.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 03-13-2010 at 04:01 PM.

When you say "unless you have serious problems (abdominal)" what do you mean? Are you referring to pain? Discomfort? The worst thing I have had is constipation but it's nowhere near as bad as when I was on codeine. That stuff was really ugly and boy did it make me itch.

I'm saying that if you're not having any chronic abdominal pain you're most likely fine. The liver is a very tough organ.

Having a CBC done is fine but you're likely perfectly okay even if your count is a little abnormal right now. All opiates cause some degree of constipation. Use a good stool softener, whatever works for you. That one's up to you.

Just keep that acetaminophen level down and try to lower or eliminate the pain meds asap. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 03-13-2010 at 05:03 PM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

I'm saying that if you're not having any chronic abdominal pain you're most likely fine. The liver is a very tough organ.

Having a CBC done is fine but you're likely perfectly okay even if your count is a little abnormal right now. All opiates cause some degree of constipation. Use a good stool softener, whatever works for you. That one's up to you.

Just keep that acetaminophen level down and try to lower or eliminate the pain meds asap. God bless.
    Robert, if you don't mind me asking, were you at one point taking pain killers? If so, what was the extent of your addiction?

I used for 35 years at STUPID amounts. I almost died a couple times. You surely don't want to model your using after me.

I was taking right at 1000mg of oxycodone a day, plus 30 (up to 40) 10/650 lorcets not counting all the benzos, soma, and other assorted garbage.

Every dose I took each day of opiates was potentially lethal. I was taking over 20,000mg of acetaminophen daily. That wasn't a one-time thing either. But I've been clean from opiates now since 6/2002. Thank God for saving my life.

Thanks to God that the liver is so resilient. My blood work was totally off the chart at one time. Good luck and God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 03-16-2010 at 08:55 PM.

PeterRabbit2 is offline Senior Member

I used for 35 years at STUPID amounts. I almost died a couple times. You surely don't want to model your using after me.

I was taking right at 1000mg of oxycodone a day, plus 30 (up to 40) 10/650 lorcets not counting all the benzos, soma, and other assorted garbage.

Every dose I took each day of opiates was potentially lethal. I was taking over 20,000mg of acetaminophen daily. That wasn't a one-time thing either. But I've been clean from opiates now since 6/2002. Thank God for saving my life.

Thanks to God that the liver is so resilient. My blood work was totally off the chart at one time. Good luck and God bless.
    Wow. You must have the liver of a horse! I wonder how you didn't end up with hearing damage. Or did you?

PeterRabbit2 is offline Senior Member

Hi all.

I have been on pain medication daily for over two years (hydrocodone 5/500s). About a year ago I started taking three pills containing 1500 mgs of acetaminophen in one dose every 24 hours. Clearly I am well short of the recommended 4000 mg limit every day, but just how much damage can that extra pill do to my liver as a result of taking three pills rather than the recommended two? Across that year I have experienced zero ill effects, I do not drink, I run three miles daily, I am 29 years of age, active, and I feel in great condition. Would it be worth getting my liver tested?

Really looking forward to your responses, thank you.
    Say, Hobbit. Where do you hurt and why, if I may ask? There may be better treatment options than Lortab.

doc.rose is offline Advanced Member

Even if there is damage to your liver. If you stop the behavior now, your liver can repair the damage done sometimes. My brother used to drink heavily and his liver numbers were off. He quit drinking completely, changed his diet and his liver numbers have improved. So the liver is a resilient organ!!