Results 1 to 8 of 8
1 week clean off oxy abuse
  1. #1
    effoxys is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2

    Default 1 week clean off oxy abuse

    hey, long time reader, first time poster.im just around the corner of my 19th birthday and just last week i decided i need to and want to get rid of the terrible, evil oxycontin.at first it started off as recreational, then it became a necessity.i would be complete dead weight without some kind of opiate in my system.i was taking anywhere from 30mg to 100mg a day of oxycontin/roxicets for 6 months.it's been about a week now that ive been clean.each day i feel a bit better but the headaches and restlessness at night still linger as well as the occasional chills.my energy level is low, my body feels heavy at certain points of the day.i had 1 suboxone that my friend gave me.it was an 8mg tablet, and i divided the 8mg into 4 pieces(2mg each).i took them for the first 3 or 4 days, and i felt little to no withdraws.it really helped seeing as the first couple days are by far the worse.ive tried in the past to cold turkey it but i just fell back in the hole by the 3rd day.last nite(day 6) was probably the worst nights of my life.i thought the worse of the withdraws would be gone by then.i was fooled, i was restless all night, up and down, kicking the blankets off and on over n over again, and some crying.i took hot baths as it has helped me during days 4 and 5 for resting.they helped a little but only gave me about 20mins of broken sleep.my mom finally gave me 1 unisom melt tab to help me sleep.its recommended 2, but she only gave me 1.it knocked me out for about 3 hours from 9am-noon.everytime i wake up now though, i wake up in sweat, yet i feel cold without the blankets on me.i haven't really been eating well either as i have no appetite(from the w/d?).anytime i try to eat, im forcing it.its like im too tired to eat, but i know i have to eat well to get well...i really just miss the days where i wasn't addicted to these pills and could sleep well n wake up feeling great.i miss having the energy i used to have..i did run in the morning for 2 days but the i took a rest 1 day to let my legs rest up.the runs really helped but it seems like if i don't run or do something, i cannot go to sleep at all[such as the night i experienced last night].is there anything i can do to help relieave these remaining withdrawal symptoms[restlessness, headaches, lack of energy,sweats/chills]?

    my question is, with my length of use of oxycontin, and given its been a week since ive done one, how long can i expect the remaining w/d symptoms last?ive heard it lasting from weeks to months...and honestly i dont know if i can handle nights like last night for weeks or even months...i really don't know if i should see my family doctor seeing as i dont wanna be put on some other prescription meds which i could potentially get addicted to[methadone,suboxone,benzos,etc].

    thanks all in advance.
    Last edited by effoxys; 07-24-2009 at 10:28 PM.

  2. #2
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    Hi effoxys
    I was an oxy user also I quit a little different than you but your doing great as much as you were using I think it might be as much as 10 days to get thru this try to get some Excedrin pm to help you sleep if you have been reading on here I'm sure you seen the Thomas recipe if not I will get it for you.
    try and hang in there I know what it is like to be imprisoned with those pills and it is so much better to be free from them.get on here and post there are so many people on here in the same spot your in...
    let us know what we can do to help...
    Talk to you soon, Melinda

    THOMAS RECIPE

    If you can't take time off to detox, I recommend you follow a taper regimen using your drug of choice or suitable alternate -- the slower the taper, the better.

    For the Recipe, You'll need:

    1. Valium (or another benzodiazepine such as Klonopin, Librium, Ativan or Xanax). Of these, Valium and Klonopin are best suited for tapering since they come in tablet form. Librium is also an excellent detox benzo, but comes in capsules, making it hard to taper the dose. Ativan or Xanax should only be used if you can't get one of the others.

    2. Imodium (over the counter, any drug or grocery store).

    3. L-Tyrosine (500 mg caps) from the health food store.

    4. Strong wide-spectrum mineral supplement with at least 100% RDA of Zinc, Phosphorus, Copper, Magnesium and Potassium (you may not find the potassium in the same supplement).

    5. Vitamin B6 caps.

    6. Access to hot baths or a Jacuzzi (or hot showers if that's all that's available).

    How to use the recipe:

    Start the vitamin/mineral supplement right away (or the first day you can keep it down), preferably with food. Potassium early in the detox is important to help relieve RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome). Bananas are a good source of potassium if you can't find a supplement for it.

    Begin your detox with regular doses of Valium (or alternate benzo). Start with a dose high enough to produce sleep. Before you use any benzo, make sure you're aware of how often it can be safely taken. Different benzos have different dosing schedules. Taper your Valium dosage down after each day. The goal is to get through day 4, after which the worst WD symptoms will subside. You shouldn't need the Valium after day 4 or 5.

    During detox, hit the hot bath or Jacuzzi as often as you need to for muscle aches. Don't underestimate the effectiveness of hot soaks. Spend the entire time, if necessary, in a hot bath. This simple method will alleviate what is for many the worst opiate WD symptom.

    Use the Imodium aggressively to stop the runs. Take as much as you need, as often as you need it. Don't take it, however, if you don't need it.

    At the end of the fourth day, you should be waking up from the Valium and experiencing the beginnings of the opiate WD malaise. Upon rising (empty stomach), take the L-Tyrosine. Try 2000 mgs, and scale up or down, depending on how you feel. You can take up to 4,000 mgs. Take the L-Tyrosine with B6 to help absorption. Wait about one hour before eating breakfast. The L-Tyrosine will give you a surge of physical and mental energy that will help counteract the malaise. You may continue to take it each morning for as long as it helps. If you find it gives you the "coffee jitters," consider lowering the dosage or discontinuing it altogether. Occasionally, L-Tyrosine can cause the runs. Unlike the runs from opiate WD, however, this effect of L-Tyrosine is mild and normally does not return after the first hour. Lowering the dosage may help.

    Continue to take the vitamin/mineral supplement with breakfast.

    As soon as you can force yourself to, get some mild exercise such as walking, cycling, swimming, etc. This will be hard at first, but will make you feel considerably better.

    Thomas"

  3. #3
    Robert_325 is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    16,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by effoxys View Post
    hey, long time reader, first time poster.im just around the corner of my 19th birthday and just last week i decided i need to and want to get rid of the terrible, evil oxycontin.at first it started off as recreational, then it became a necessity.i would be complete dead weight without some kind of opiate in my system.i was taking anywhere from 30mg to 100mg a day of oxycontin/roxicets for 6 months.it's been about a week now that ive been clean.each day i feel a bit better but the headaches and restlessness at night still linger as well as the occasional chills.my energy level is low, my body feels heavy at certain points of the day.i had 1 suboxone that my friend gave me.it was an 8mg tablet, and i divided the 8mg into 4 pieces(2mg each).i took them for the first 3 or 4 days, and i felt little to no withdraws.it really helped seeing as the first couple days are by far the worse.ive tried in the past to cold turkey it but i just fell back in the hole by the 3rd day.last nite(day 6) was probably the worst nights of my life.i thought the worse of the withdraws would be gone by then.i was fooled, i was restless all night, up and down, kicking the blankets off and on over n over again, and some crying.i took hot baths as it has helped me during days 4 and 5 for resting.they helped a little but only gave me about 20mins of broken sleep.my mom finally gave me 1 unisom melt tab to help me sleep.its recommended 2, but she only gave me 1.it knocked me out for about 3 hours from 9am-noon.everytime i wake up now though, i wake up in sweat, yet i feel cold without the blankets on me.i haven't really been eating well either as i have no appetite(from the w/d?).anytime i try to eat, im forcing it.its like im too tired to eat, but i know i have to eat well to get well...i really just miss the days where i wasn't addicted to these pills and could sleep well n wake up feeling great.i miss having the energy i used to have..i did run in the morning for 2 days but the i took a rest 1 day to let my legs rest up.the runs really helped but it seems like if i don't run or do something, i cannot go to sleep at all[such as the night i experienced last night].is there anything i can do to help relieave these remaining withdrawal symptoms[restlessness, headaches, lack of energy,sweats/chills]?

    my question is, with my length of use of oxycontin, and given its been a week since ive done one, how long can i expect the remaining w/d symptoms last?ive heard it lasting from weeks to months...and honestly i dont know if i can handle nights like last night for weeks or even months...i really don't know if i should see my family doctor seeing as i dont wanna be put on some other prescription meds which i could potentially get addicted to[methadone,suboxone,benzos,etc].

    thanks all in advance.





    Melinda made a good suggestion with the Thomas Recipe even though you're a few days into your detox. With the time you've already invested I would ride it out.

    You're going to start feeling better soon. The problem is that oxycontin really lingers in our system. It's so much easier to stop cold turkey with fast acting opiates. Stopping cold off "contins" is much tougher than with "codones."

    Had I talked with you before you started to detox I would have told you to switch to oxycodone, hydros, percs, something that is fast acting. But you are where you are. You've got too much time invested to back off now.

    Hang in there. With a week clean it shouldn't be much longer. I would be surprised if you weren't feeling like a new person this time next weekend. You'll start getting better before then but by next weekend you'll see that all this was worth it.

    You're a young guy, got your whole life ahead. I commend you for doing this now at your age. Says a lot about you. Congratulations. You should be proud of yourself. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

  4. #4
    matt4848 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    189

    Default Keep goin!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by effoxys View Post
    hey, long time reader, first time poster.im just around the corner of my 19th birthday and just last week i decided i need to and want to get rid of the terrible, evil oxycontin.at first it started off as recreational, then it became a necessity.i would be complete dead weight without some kind of opiate in my system.i was taking anywhere from 30mg to 100mg a day of oxycontin/roxicets for 6 months.it's been about a week now that ive been clean.each day i feel a bit better but the headaches and restlessness at night still linger as well as the occasional chills.my energy level is low, my body feels heavy at certain points of the day.i had 1 suboxone that my friend gave me.it was an 8mg tablet, and i divided the 8mg into 4 pieces(2mg each).i took them for the first 3 or 4 days, and i felt little to no withdraws.it really helped seeing as the first couple days are by far the worse.ive tried in the past to cold turkey it but i just fell back in the hole by the 3rd day.last nite(day 6) was probably the worst nights of my life.i thought the worse of the withdraws would be gone by then.i was fooled, i was restless all night, up and down, kicking the blankets off and on over n over again, and some crying.i took hot baths as it has helped me during days 4 and 5 for resting.they helped a little but only gave me about 20mins of broken sleep.my mom finally gave me 1 unisom melt tab to help me sleep.its recommended 2, but she only gave me 1.it knocked me out for about 3 hours from 9am-noon.everytime i wake up now though, i wake up in sweat, yet i feel cold without the blankets on me.i haven't really been eating well either as i have no appetite(from the w/d?).anytime i try to eat, im forcing it.its like im too tired to eat, but i know i have to eat well to get well...i really just miss the days where i wasn't addicted to these pills and could sleep well n wake up feeling great.i miss having the energy i used to have..i did run in the morning for 2 days but the i took a rest 1 day to let my legs rest up.the runs really helped but it seems like if i don't run or do something, i cannot go to sleep at all[such as the night i experienced last night].is there anything i can do to help relieave these remaining withdrawal symptoms[restlessness, headaches, lack of energy,sweats/chills]?

    my question is, with my length of use of oxycontin, and given its been a week since ive done one, how long can i expect the remaining w/d symptoms last?ive heard it lasting from weeks to months...and honestly i dont know if i can handle nights like last night for weeks or even months...i really don't know if i should see my family doctor seeing as i dont wanna be put on some other prescription meds which i could potentially get addicted to[methadone,suboxone,benzos,etc].

    thanks all in advance.
    A week clean of OXY is abosolutly AMAZING. KEEEEEEP GOING!!!

    Do anything at all possible to keep going!!!!! Even if it means crawling in the corner -

    Do whatever it takes, IT WILL PASS. I know it feels like the world is ending but IT WILL PASS.

    I can say honestly after about a year and 5 months of use of 100+mgs daily of oxy by day 15 or so I couldnt FEEL ANY WITHDRAWLS ANYMORE!

    You are so close ---- please dont give up, ten days is freaking almost impossible it seems - but if you can give it just a few more days you will beat it.

    You can do this, if you try - really try.

    Like robert said you are so close - I know it feels like a world away but its closer than you believe.

    Remeber the withdrawls you feel are the drug - crying, kicking and screaming to do anything possible to get you to keep using - they are fighting with everything they have to keep you addicted -- and remeber this --

    They are losing - YOU are winning.

    Matt4848
    Last edited by matt4848; 07-25-2009 at 12:24 AM.

  5. #5
    UserReady is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    61

    Default Hang in there!

    I am on day 30 tomorrow.! I just got off oxys too...what a ride!
    My habit was much bigger...or should I say I used for 3 yrs.....soooo
    my wd's pretty bad.
    But here I am. the restless nights..ohhh I remember them well.
    I just kept telling myself-You got yourself into this, not u gotta ride it out...

    It took me 10 days to drive again, and I gotta tell u that all in all after my 30 days, I can say I am completely well.

    now during that 30 days--that was not wd's..though! it was emotional baggage....I was up and moving..just zero energy.

    I have to commend you for making such a great decision at your age.!
    wow!

    Just ride it out...every day is different, and everyday u will feel better, I promise..but this is NO picnic. OXY is horrid stuff man!

    showers, motrin, electrolytes, potassium, chills u just gotta ride those out, did i say showers??? hot!

    Now one more thing---DON'T TURN BACK! U ARE ALMOST THERE...!
    GREAT JOB & it sounds like u have support at home too, that is soooo important!

    keep posting..

    peace

  6. #6
    effoxys is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by melinda7.5 View Post
    Hi effoxys
    I was an oxy user also I quit a little different than you but your doing great as much as you were using I think it might be as much as 10 days to get thru this try to get some Excedrin pm to help you sleep if you have been reading on here I'm sure you seen the Thomas recipe if not I will get it for you.
    try and hang in there I know what it is like to be imprisoned with those pills and it is so much better to be free from them.get on here and post there are so many people on here in the same spot your in...
    let us know what we can do to help...
    Talk to you soon, Melinda

    THOMAS RECIPE

    If you can't take time off to detox, I recommend you follow a taper regimen using your drug of choice or suitable alternate -- the slower the taper, the better.

    For the Recipe, You'll need:

    1. Valium (or another benzodiazepine such as Klonopin, Librium, Ativan or Xanax). Of these, Valium and Klonopin are best suited for tapering since they come in tablet form. Librium is also an excellent detox benzo, but comes in capsules, making it hard to taper the dose. Ativan or Xanax should only be used if you can't get one of the others.

    2. Imodium (over the counter, any drug or grocery store).

    3. L-Tyrosine (500 mg caps) from the health food store.

    4. Strong wide-spectrum mineral supplement with at least 100% RDA of Zinc, Phosphorus, Copper, Magnesium and Potassium (you may not find the potassium in the same supplement).

    5. Vitamin B6 caps.

    6. Access to hot baths or a Jacuzzi (or hot showers if that's all that's available).

    How to use the recipe:

    Start the vitamin/mineral supplement right away (or the first day you can keep it down), preferably with food. Potassium early in the detox is important to help relieve RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome). Bananas are a good source of potassium if you can't find a supplement for it.

    Begin your detox with regular doses of Valium (or alternate benzo). Start with a dose high enough to produce sleep. Before you use any benzo, make sure you're aware of how often it can be safely taken. Different benzos have different dosing schedules. Taper your Valium dosage down after each day. The goal is to get through day 4, after which the worst WD symptoms will subside. You shouldn't need the Valium after day 4 or 5.

    During detox, hit the hot bath or Jacuzzi as often as you need to for muscle aches. Don't underestimate the effectiveness of hot soaks. Spend the entire time, if necessary, in a hot bath. This simple method will alleviate what is for many the worst opiate WD symptom.

    Use the Imodium aggressively to stop the runs. Take as much as you need, as often as you need it. Don't take it, however, if you don't need it.

    At the end of the fourth day, you should be waking up from the Valium and experiencing the beginnings of the opiate WD malaise. Upon rising (empty stomach), take the L-Tyrosine. Try 2000 mgs, and scale up or down, depending on how you feel. You can take up to 4,000 mgs. Take the L-Tyrosine with B6 to help absorption. Wait about one hour before eating breakfast. The L-Tyrosine will give you a surge of physical and mental energy that will help counteract the malaise. You may continue to take it each morning for as long as it helps. If you find it gives you the "coffee jitters," consider lowering the dosage or discontinuing it altogether. Occasionally, L-Tyrosine can cause the runs. Unlike the runs from opiate WD, however, this effect of L-Tyrosine is mild and normally does not return after the first hour. Lowering the dosage may help.

    Continue to take the vitamin/mineral supplement with breakfast.

    As soon as you can force yourself to, get some mild exercise such as walking, cycling, swimming, etc. This will be hard at first, but will make you feel considerably better.

    Thomas"

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    Melinda made a good suggestion with the Thomas Recipe even though you're a few days into your detox. With the time you've already invested I would ride it out.

    You're going to start feeling better soon. The problem is that oxycontin really lingers in our system. It's so much easier to stop cold turkey with fast acting opiates. Stopping cold off "contins" is much tougher than with "codones."

    Had I talked with you before you started to detox I would have told you to switch to oxycodone, hydros, percs, something that is fast acting. But you are where you are. You've got too much time invested to back off now.

    Hang in there. With a week clean it shouldn't be much longer. I would be surprised if you weren't feeling like a new person this time next weekend. You'll start getting better before then but by next weekend you'll see that all this was worth it.

    You're a young guy, got your whole life ahead. I commend you for doing this now at your age. Says a lot about you. Congratulations. You should be proud of yourself. God bless.
    yes i'm quite aware of the thomas recipe.i do have l-tyrosine and vitamin b6...except in all the feelings of ********, i completely forgot to take them this entire time.i just took em now and probably gonna try and eat in a little bit.i did have a lot better sleeping experience last night than before.i took 1 unisom sleeping melt tab and it again knocked me out for a few hours(230am-530am).around 5:30 i tried going back to sleep for a bit but couldn't cause of the damn restlesness so i went for a run.came back home, took a hot bath and jumped into the shower.i then took 2 unisom[the actual recommended dose] and i slept like a baby from around 730am to 1pm.i'm feeling better than yesterday definitely.all i got right now is some minor chills/sweats, sneezing a little more than usual but dont kno if its from the w/d and my body still feels a bit heavy but definitely alot more energy than before.i'm guessing the l tyrosine and vitamin b went to work .today is day 8 so hopefully it lasts only a few days more.

    thanks for everyone's replies and help.its greatly appreciated.

  7. #7
    whydidieverdothis is offline New Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1

    Default anything i can do

    im 24, in march i quit oxys for a week and then stared up again. Worst week of my life, I am no on day 2 of being clean and its hell no energy at all at work i feel like im going to die, and i cant take off work. is there anythig i can do or do i have to ride this out ,this is hell i want to die this absolutely blows im a moron for every doing these things

  8. #8
    NewGTGuy is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whydidieverdothis View Post
    im 24, in march i quit oxys for a week and then stared up again. Worst week of my life, I am no on day 2 of being clean and its hell no energy at all at work i feel like im going to die, and i cant take off work. is there anythig i can do or do i have to ride this out ,this is hell i want to die this absolutely blows im a moron for every doing these things
    You might want to start your own thread as this one is almost a year old.

    You made the right decision, from what I hear the 4th day is usually the worst. But, I'd ask others who have more experience than me.

    Keep going. Don't give in. You can do this!

    Brian

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22