Suggestion - Please read
    Heartsy is offline New Member

Smile Suggestion - Please read

If anyone is serious about becoming a medical transcriptionist or if they are already working as one, I would suggest that they purchase a Nurse's Drug Handbook put out by Lippincot. Also purchase a good medical dictionary. The drug handbook has all the abbreviations that you will need in the front of it. I was a medical transcriptionist at a very large hospital in Louisiana for many years. I am now retired. The hospital Medical Records Dept. had drug handbooks and also dictionaries. There was supposed to be one at each person's station but this was not always the case. Having my own books made my job so much easier. They lasted me for many years, I updated the drug handbook every three or four years. The cost of the books were very minimal compared to the help over the years that I got from them. Over the years I got to where I did not need them as much but I never got to the point that I did not need them at all. There is always new meds and new words popping up that you have never heard before.

DivineGale is offline New Member

Thank you for the suggesting. I am actually undergoing some training since I got accepted as a medical transcriptionist just this month. I have been working before as a clinic assistant and I can say that I got pretty used to that field as well but honestly, the training and the time required to read a lot is very helpful.

DivineGale is offline New Member

I also think that when learning a new skill or how to do a new task, knowledge of the product as well as the tools you will use are not the only things important. The right attitude towards the job is also good. I really suggest getting some background training in the industry will be useful. I know a lot of training companies that does all sorts of training, but I guess investing on training is really expensive and only done by companies, so they can invest in their employees and not by individuals working from home or on part time jobs.