Have a new job and need some drug-related pointers
    Arghhhhhhhh! is offline New Member

Default Have a new job and need some drug-related pointers

Hi!

(Sorry about the "Arghhhhhhh!" username. I was having a hard time finding one that wasn't taken and I was beginning to get a complex )

I have recently taken a job as a receptionist for a local Gastroenterologist. Because of some of the job duties involved he would like me to become familiar with the basic kinds of pharmaceuticals, their common word endings and their correct spelling. Since I have never worked in the medical field before I am at a serious disadvantage with this. I am happy to have found this website to help me with the spelling part, but I'm not seeing anything that will give me a basic understanding of the most common drug types, their common word endings and so forth.

Is there a (preferably free) online tutorial or other resource for this that would be comprehensible to a layman? The doctor keeps trying to tell me things and I am a very visual person who needs to see it / read it in order to really understand it. When I asked him about this he gave me his Physician's Desk Reference ! I think I need something a little more basic and user friendly.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

krakotoa is offline Junior Member

I am new to this site, but figured i'd try to help you.

heres a nice flashcard tool that you might like. I am not sure if that is what you are looking for, but that is a good start. The most common one you will probably see is -prazole. Omeprazole (Prilosec generic) is very commonly prescribed for acid-reflux.

I don't know whether you're looking for drug information for just gastroenterology or just basic drug information, but you could look into some basic Sig codes as well. (Sig codes are how a lot of doctors right the directions for a prescription drug. ex: TT PO BID, would equate to 2 tablets twice a day by mouth)

If some of this doesn't make sense, I apologize, it's getting rather late and I'm about to go to bed :P

Gardenia is offline New Member

Smile Look for a Drug by Condition

Hello, you may want to look at www.healthsquare.com to search for drugs by condition. I hope this helps you.