Anyone know of online programs to become a Medical Transcriptionist?
    LAVam is offline New Member

Question Anyone know of online programs to become a Medical Transcriptionist?

Hi all,

I am interested in becoming a Medical Transcriptionist and would like to know if there are any good programs/schools online to become one. I have two kids and I am staying home with them so I was wondering if there is something online to get certified. Thanks a lot!
    Amanda

ghlong is offline New Member

MTEC is a good school. There is also Andrews and Career Step.

Ckell is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by LAVam View Post
    Hi all,

I am interested in becoming a Medical Transcriptionist and would like to know if there are any good programs/schools online to become one. I have two kids and I am staying home with them so I was wondering if there is something online to get certified. Thanks a lot!
    Amanda
    I am currently a medical transcriptionist, and I first attended At-home professions, which I do not recommend. I then enrolled at M-Tec, and they are a top notch school. While it is more expensive, the training that you get from M-Tec is outstanding. They train you for every aspect of medical transcribing, including computer training, if you need it. They are one of the best schools for medical transcription.

Good luck,
    Cheryl

missy777 is offline New Member

Default Career Step

Hello,

I am training through Career Step, I love it. M-Tec, which was previously mentioned, I have also heard is very good, as well as Andrews. However, Career Step was the choice for me. First of all, it was more affordable, and I did every upgrade, too. I enrolled in the Platinum Training, which offers a year of employment assistance. I am enrolled in the online training but also got the text and cassette upgrades as well at a very reasonable price. I got all of this for around $1900; I paid it all upfront and got a 5% discount for doing that. However, there are several other options for payment. They also supply the footpedal.
    I did a LOT of reasearch before enrolling here, as well. If you search on some of the top transcription employers, such as Spheris and Amphion, you will see they are both affiliated with Career Step and work with them and even have special training programs with CS that you can apply for and then if you get in you are almost guaranteed a job offer, and with Spheris if you do their training track with CS you can get in at a higher-paying job than entry-level, you would be doing acute-care, I believe. These companies would not be recommending CS if it wasn't a top-notch school! You do have to be self-motivated with this school, but there is always help, support, technical and otherwise, if you need it. My mom is an MT and one of her co-workers graduated from CS, I spoke to her as well and she highly reccommended it. Good luck whatever you choose!!

patpat07 is offline New Member

Default There is a link at www.mtutopia.com

MT Utopia is a discussion forum for medical billers, coders and transcriptionists. Click on the purple button under the banner for info on training at home. Good luck!

phey is offline New Member

At AIU Online, you can earn your Associate's, Bachelor's completion, or Master's wherever and whenever it's most convenient.

dleveau is offline New Member

Thumbs up Answer to your question

Have you tried CareerStep?? Excellent program.

PSJ71 is offline New Member

Default Medical transcription training

If you are interested in getting student loans and a good program, check into Everett Community College. I took the classes online back in 2005. Their curriculum is Career Step, and they also have a Career Step coding course as well. It's a 9-month long program, but I absolutely loved it and have since graduated and have had very good luck with working.

Wishing you the best,
    Paulette

sara_pharmacist is offline New Member

Default HI there

Hello everyone..
    Iam a student of pharmacy in India.. and actually i wanted to know the job prospects of medical trancsriptionist in India specially...

Anonymous Guest

Question Training to be transcriptionist-M-Tec ?????????

Quote Originally Posted by Ckell View Post
    I am currently a medical transcriptionist, and I first attended At-home professions, which I do not recommend. I then enrolled at M-Tec, and they are a top notch school. While it is more expensive, the training that you get from M-Tec is outstanding. They train you for every aspect of medical transcribing, including computer training, if you need it. They are one of the best schools for medical transcription.

Good luck,
    Cheryl

Where is this school located or do you have a web address for it?? Please send info to me at: Debpurpletiger@yahoo.com

jayneizme is offline New Member

Smile Medical Transcriptionist in training

I also am a Career Step student! It really is an awesome program, very well layed out, simple, and user-friendly. I love their progress trackers, and grade/completion reports that show you where you are, and help keep you encouraged. The program offers all kinds of info in an easy to understand, comprehensive format, lots of which, I haven't been able to find through google searches. I am only about 30% done with the program, but have really enjoyed it so far. I am looking forward to graduation at the end of the year, and while it is a LOT of work, and takes self-motivation, I think it's an awesome job for us SAHM's. Check it out, do a little research if you like, but from my own, it looked like a better school than many, and wasn't as expensive as the other schools i looked at. They do offer payment plans, and have great customer service. Also, you said you wanted online, but it does has the option of books, (traditional) schooling if you like that approach.
    PS... i don't know for sure, but i think maybe you could apply for a federal or state-other- grant to help with the cost. I didn't but am looking into grants for some classes this winter. Check it out! and if you have any questions you can PM me.
    -hope that helps
    Jayne
    Last edited by ddcmod; 04-04-2010 at 06:20 PM.