Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223
Like Tree16Likes
Want off Suboxone
    HenryNCBA is offline Advanced Member

Hello Kris,
    Welcome to the forum.
    2mgs of sub for 2 years can and will cause withdrawal symptoms. Taking low doses of hydrocodone to taper off opiates has been done but in order to do so you MUST MAINTAIN ABSOLUTE STRICT CONTROL AT ALL TIMES!!! Opiate pain meds being what they are you develop tolerance to them so in essence it takes more and more to feel the same effects. If possible it would be best to get off all opiates regardless of whether you are worried about addiction or not. Once you become chemically dependant to any opiate you will have unpleasant withdrawal symptoms during any detox. Subs were developed to help folks get off opiates and used properly with a realistic program such as the one outlined by Robert_325 here on this forum the discomfort of withdrawal can be minimized to a greater extent and bearable.
    To answer your questions to whether 2 mgs for 2 years is going to cause “severe” withdrawals that all depends on the individual as everyone is different but a short answer to this is a definite “yes” unfortunately. Subs are VERY potent medications and although small in size they pack a very powerful punch. The strength of subs is 30 to 40 times that of morphine all variables being equal so if you are at 2mgs of sub that is approximately equivalent to about 80 mgs of morphine. The lowest dose we recommend to jump or start the “skipping days” process is .25 mgs and even at that one will feel symptoms.
    I don’t know when you will or already have run out of subs but subs have a relatively long half life of up to 72 hours so although you may feel somewhat okay today, if you just ran out of subs, in about 3 days or so, give or take again everyone is different, they symptoms will start to escalate.
    I know this is not what you wanted to hear but is the truth.
    Hope this answers your question.
    If you need help lets us know.

Henry

Kris2313 is offline New Member

Hi Henry.. Thanks for amswering' I'm all out of subs as of Sunday morning when I took my last 1mg at 9am.... Monday & Tuesday were ok bit not a picnic for sure... It was wens, 72hrs, since the 1mg that got me!! I felt like I got hit by a tractor trailer!! I'm embarrassed to say I have 2 kids I need to take care of on my own so ive been taking Vic 5s to take the edge off, maybe 8 a day since I think they're junk & do very little for me.. Thursday was better, not great & prob worse then mon & tues... I also have a script for trazadone & I took that for 2 nite but switched to benedry- which is basically worthless! So now it's Friday morning & I'm still hurting but not as bad as yesterday... I think being positive helps, mind over matter & having 2 kids forced me to "(wo)man up"... I had access to 8mg pills so I thought breaking them into 1/8 would be the lowest feasible does... I wish I researched this junk yrs ago & just sucked up the pain! I didn't know the lil chip of a pill could be scraped into .25 & be useful! In my head I needed 1/8 -2Xs a day or it "didn't work"! On a positive I have emotions coming back too!! For 2yrs I was numb to everything!! Is it possible that the worst is over.. I have no access to those pills anymore & I'm slowly taking less Vic 5s each day... I wouldn't call this week easy at all but did I get of easier then most?? Or should I prepare for round 2? When will this be completely out of my body? I'm over this nightmare!! Thanks so very much!!
    Last edited by ddcmod; 11-11-2011 at 04:01 PM.

hollylsmith2003 is offline New Member

Default New Memeber

My husband who is 23 has been on pain pills oxycodone for 4 months and has decided to go to rehab. He is currently in detox and will come home sunday. They have been giving him suboxone but small doses and they said they would slowly bring him down off it. I want to believe that this wont happen again, I just haven't ever delt with this before and do not know what I should do. I have read every post on this entire forum trying to find out some things. I'm not sure if I should try to find him treatment for the suboxone or not. They are not going to send any home with him or recommend that he continue to take them. They have recommended him for the IOP and thats it. Has anyone done this before and been successful?

From what I've been told, ur hubby has only been on pills for about 5 months, I would think he shouldn't even have been given subs... They're 80Xs as strong as morphine.. I dunno why any one would use subs to get of of vics!! Bad move!! I'm actually using vics to reduce theu SEVERE withdrawal of subs!! It's no picnic but subs should be used for serious long term usage of serious drugs (>>>>>>e, diludad, etc) but then again what do I know... I've been on 1.5/2nd of subs for maybe 2yrs for fibromyalgia( self prescribed ofcourse, cuz vics didn't cut it) 2 yrs on a low dose I think I got of easy.... Today is day 6 of no subs & I feel so much better but not great.. Day 3 was terrible, due to the 72hr half life... Hopefully since ur hubby is only a short term user he should get of fairly easy then most long timers!! But this is just from my knowledge from the school of life... Very bad idea to have him on a high dose, any more the 4mgs a day for more then a few weeks! I know many who are on 32mgs & it's pointless & addictive!! Hopefully he's on no more then 4 mg when he bagan rehab & before he leaves he's on very little, as in 0.25 of a pill! Again all I know is my experience & I was on 1.5/2mgs & went cold turkey after taking 1mg 6 days ago... It's was day 3 that was HORRIBLE!! but I think since I was on a low dose I got off easy, which sounds like the case of ur hubby! Day 6 I feel human... I was never really an addict, but was in pain so that's why I started.. I like to get that feeling but don't need it so that's why I'm using 4/6 vics a day to get thru this, which I wouldn't recommend for him!! Hopefully rehab sends him home with a sleep aid or buy lots of melantonin & lots of gaterade & I'm sure he'll be fine... Just keep a close eye on him during his recovery!! I learned my lesson.. Not worth it in the end!!

hollylsmith2003 is offline New Member

Default Re:

I am pretty sure they started him at 4 mg on Wednesday and they said he wouldnt get anything today and .25 tomorrow. I was thinking about getting him a body cleansing product but not sure if that was a good idea. I know that for a few months he won't be out of my sight. He is starting the IOP on Monday so I think that will help a bit. The Suboxone they said was only a very small dose since he had only been using a few months. I was a little aggrivated after reading about suboxone for 2 days. I had him off for four days without anything cold turkey. I kept him locked in the house and boy did he get ugly, but I wouldn't give in to him and he was clean till he went into rehab well for those four days anyways, so thats what I plan on doing to him when he gets home tomorrow. We have stocked up on plenty of sweets,imodium, and pepto.We also have several cases of powerade. They aren't sending him home with any medication they just said make sure we have plenty of pepto,sweets, and imodium. They said not to let him have anything to help him sleep. While he has been in detox that is all he has done is sleep
    Last edited by hollylsmith2003; 11-12-2011 at 01:21 PM.

Johnny508 is offline New Member

[deleted - swearing]
    Last edited by ddcmod; 11-13-2011 at 01:30 PM.

Day 8 & this sux.... Not as bad as days 1-4 but WTF over a week & can't sleep, back pain, horrible cold sweats, absolutely no sleep & anxiety like I've never had before!! I don't think anyone would take this if they knew the outcome of the WDs!! I'm beyond desperate for relief... The Vic 5s don't do it anymore... I wish I could be induced into a coma for the next month!!

snap_knight is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by snap_knight View Post
    I was on Buprenorphine for over five years. I tried many methods trying to get off of it when I deemed I no longer needed it. I tried cold turkey, accupuncture, hypnosis and weaning to extremely low doses. I was always doing research. I am also a recovering alcoholic.

My therapist knew of my struggle and asked me to read a book he had recently obtained. It was called The End of My Addiction, by Dr. Oliver Ameisen. Dr. Ameisen was a severe alcoholic who discovered that Baclofen cured him of his desire to use alcohol. In his book, he also stated that he thought Baclofen could be used for other addictions as well. My heart did a little jump!

I started researching Baclofen which was being used frequently in Europe. I compiled my research and took it to my physician. He agreed to let me try it the same way in which Dr. Ameisen used it. After finally resting on a dose that was comfortable, I started testing myself to see how long I could comfortably go without a dose. I was only on 1/2 mg/day. I was able to stretch it out for two to two and a half days. Then I began to have restless leg syndrome severely. That was my only complaint but one I can't stand. There was no upset stomach, no diarrhea, no shakes... only restless leg.

I went back to my physician and told him the problem and asked him if he could put me on Mirapex. My therapist used it for severe chronic restless leg and said it worked wonders. My physician wrote me a script and I started taking it. Two days after starting it, I took myself off of Buprenorphine. I felt really tired but I believe I was overusing my Clonidine which my psychiatrist had prescribed for anxiety. I quit taking the Clonidine and within 24 hours, I felt much better.

The only problem that I am having is being extremely tired. It seems to be good one day, then terrible the next. But, I haven't had any Buprenorphine in almost a month. I am ecstatic about being off of the Bupe.
    Here it is 2013 and I'm still off of the Bupe. Had to go on pain pills for an extended time, but coming off with the Baclofen was a breeze. Without it, I was going nuts and didn't think I could make it.

Redkoolaid is offline New Member

Just so you know, stool softeners are a good idea, as long as they do not include any laxatives (you do not want to force that sort of bowel movement or you could end up with hemorrhoids). The best bet would be to lower your intake to almost all foods, drink mineral oil and lots of water, and if its a particularly bad one, get yourself a mineral oil enema. In addition, contrary to the boxes directions, at least let it sit in your bowel for an hour, I once had one so resembling a rock that I had to go to sleep with a mineral oil enema in me and have the bowel movement in the morning. Generally no matter what you do, you want to be proactive, take 2 stool softeners a day with meals, and mineral oil at least 2-3 hours before/after (not anytime near) taking any sort of medicine. This knowledge comes from a lifetime of opiate addiction and even with switching to suboxone, I have found my bowel problems to remain the same; therefore, I would not expect anything to be easier.

Kerr3434 is offline Junior Member

I am about to start week 3 of suboxone. Now that I am educated, I want off quickly. The longer you're on, the harder it is (from what my research has taught me). I did 8mg a day week 1, then 12 mgs a day for the next 5 days, but it got me too "speedy", so I lowered it back to 8mgs per day...hopefully I won't feel withdrawals tomorrow (as it will be day 3 of lowering my does back to 8). I need advice to prepare myself before seeing the doc. I am afraid this establishment will get mad bc they want to make their money. If go from 8mgs a day to like 4 next week is that too fast? Keep in mind, it's only going to be my third week on subs. Then I'd like to lower my daily dose by another 2 mgs the following week, then to 1mg, then do 1mg every other day and hopefully stop at that point. That would put my total time on suboxone about 6 weeks.
    Last edited by Kerr3434; 11-11-2013 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Additional Question

neways is offline New Member

Default Getting off Suboxone

Subutex or Subuxone seemed to be very easy for me to get off of it.
    I took it because of my body's addiction to Vicodin.
    Just stop taking it my friend it can't hurt you.
    God Bless and Damn these drugs.

litchi123 is offline Junior Member

You need to consider this with your doctor as like every medicine body takes time to adopt suboxone's entry so you might have felt some withdrawals from that but if you will consult your doctors then they will boost you up.

angelfire13 is offline New Member

I was one of the first ten patients to be put on suboxone 9 or
    10 years ago. last year I was off at for 9 months complete abstinence. I also am a recovering alcoholic. even after 9 months I was very depressed and no energy. I totally felt like the life with sucked out of me. I was pushing myself to go to meetings exercise church. even after 9 months everything was still a struggle.. so I'm sure you know what happens next., yeah you got it,, started taking Suboxone again,,
    only a half a milligram a day, but it makes me feel alive again..

thank you for sharing your experience , and the title of the book. I'm truly losing hope. every morning I pray every day for it to end. I want a hundred percent abstinence. more than anything. but since I started taking Suboxone it seems so hard. 9 months is a long time not to feel right. and I used to think suboxone was not addictive. I use to call people cry babies when they said they were having withdraws. but after the physical part is over it's the mental that is just relentless....
    I guess I have to go to a doctor to get the baclofen

adalinaabella is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zippysgoddess View Post
    A lot of what you are feeling is probably not from the Suboxone, but from coming off the other drugs and two weeks is way to soon to get off of it altogether. I would say to follow your docs advice, he is trying to make this as easy for you as possible.

Yes, you will suffer some withdrawals from it, but they are usually milder than that from other narcotics, it is however still a narcotic so you had to know there would be some repercussions from taking it and then stopping it eventually.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~

Exactly, I too agree with what you said!

Actually, as much I observe the thing which our friend explained in their post, it sounds like he was having addiction of drugs. And it's natural if you left a drugs instantly then it will creates problems like that which you are facing yet! So, I think it's not because of Suboxone.

Thanks!
    avanscure

honestvape Guest

I need some advice. I was a junky for 26yrs. At the end I was taking 250mg a day of Oxy or >>>>>>e. I am now on 16mg of suboxone and I am done with it as well. I know im supposed to taper off and everyone is different. I cut my self down to 12mg 5 days ago and am fine. I am mildly dizzy and have very little nausea but its really not that bad. I told my Dr to take me off of it and he didnt like that idea. How long should I wait to decrease each time? I have been on this dose for 15 months. I just became a member and dont really know how to use this forum. FYI
    Last edited by honestvape; 08-24-2014 at 09:54 PM.

melindau is offline Member

Hi honestvape
    here is a taper plan that most use on the forum...Im really not the sub person...but it will give you an idea of what to do till some more people come on...

Standard Taper Plan
    The standard taper I used and promote is that if you will reduce by 25% of the total daily dose and maintain that dose for a period of four full days while experiencing minimal to no w/d symptoms it’s safe to reduce again by another 25% and expect the same results. If you experience any overwhelming w/d symptoms during the four day period you can take a .25 mg sliver (depending on your existing dose) and the w/d symptoms usually dissipate immediately. If you require slivers to remain stable at any level you should start over the next day trying to put four days together again. This allows for the long half life of buprenorphine which can be up to 72 hours for most people.

After I reached .5mg, I began a process of skipping days. I would take a dose one day, then skip one day. Then dose again, and then skip two days. Then dose again, and then skip three days. Then dose again, and then skip four days. After four days clean I was finished. The half life has had time to catch up with itself.

We have found some people, for whatever reason, tend to stress out and suffer anxiety when it comes time to skip days. If that is your experience you can continue the standard 25% taper every four days all the way down to zero in lieu of skipping days if that makes you feel better. Again we are all a little different. The idea is to be successful and the skipping days is not written in stone. That is what worked for me and has worked for most others following this taper plan. But if you need to taper down to nothing instead of skipping days that is certainly a viable and acceptable option.

The reason for sometimes feeling w/d symptoms is the long half life of buprenorphine, the main drug that is in sub and the generic. To be very simple, it can take days before we experience the w/d symptoms from sub. So this is why we wait 4 days to allow for the half life which can easily be up to 72 hours depending on some variables. When we make it 4 days without symptoms we should be fine reducing again.

It’s not uncommon to have some minor side effects from sub as with almost any medication. There can be some depression, sleep problems, anxiety. So we suggest not taking the sub close to bedtime, get some mild to moderate exercise depending on your physical condition, there are things to do that will help lots of things. But stick with the same principles all the way down as far as you are comfortable. We are here to help at that point.

Melinda

melindau is offline Member

bizzy2014 is offline New Member

Tapering off subs...
    Went from 8mg films to 2mg this week
    Before I went down to 2mg is was taking half of 8mg for total of 4mg per day.
    Since I've went down to 2mg 4x per day (dr recommended for a monthly total of 120 films) I've been taking about 2mg and 1/2 per day.
    Any suggestions on Tapering off to successfully be off subs this 30 day cycle?
    Lots of love and great advice here and looking forward to anyone's response.
    Much love!!

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223