Vioxx taken off the market
    mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Default Vioxx taken off the market

I'm just whatching CNN and the maker of Vioxx is taking the drug off the market due to increased heart problems with long term use........Dave

stingray is offline Junior Member

Here is a copy of the news article...

Merck Pulls Arthritis Drug Off Market
    Thu Sep 30, 2004 03:16 PM ET

By Ransdell Pierson
    NEW YORK (Reuters) - Merck & Co Inc. on Thursday pulled its arthritis drug Vioxx off the market after a study showed it doubled the risk of heart attack and stroke, a move that sent its shares plunging and erased $25 billion from its market value.

The move, which led the company to cut its 2004 earnings forecast, could expose Merck to billions of dollars in legal liabilities at a time when it is already experiencing slower growth. It also calls into question the ability of Chief Executive Raymond Gilmartin to lead the company out of its troubles, analysts said.

"This company is on the scientific ropes and it just took a body blow in the market place," said Jim Hall, president of the life-sciences unit at Wood Mackenzie Inc. "There's no easy way for them to deal with this."

Vioxx, which has been used by 84 million people around the world since 1999, accounts for 10 percent of Merck's annual sales. It is part of a class of drugs known as COX-2 inhibitors. Pfizer Inc.'s Celebrex and Novartis AG's experimental drug Prexige are also members of this class.

While Celebrex and others have not been shown to cause cardiovascular damage, some observers say the withdrawal of Vioxx casts a cloud over the entire class. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration said it would watch other COX-2 inhibitors closely.

"This has implications for all members of this class," said Dr. Garret FitzGerald, chairman of the Department of Pharmacology at the University of Pennsylvania.

Investors are concerned the risk may also extend to Merck's newer drug, Arcoxia, a COX-2 inhibitor that is already sold in 47 countries but is still awaiting approval in the United States. An FDA decision on the drug is expected by Oct. 30.

"We are going to be more interested in looking at long-term data on new products that come down the pike," said Steven Galson, acting director of the FDA's Center for Drug Evaluation and Research.

Concerns over Vioxx have been building for several years after earlier studies showed higher risk of heart attack and stroke, but Merck has always maintained that the drug, which last year had sales of $2.55 billion, was safe.

The decision to withdraw Vioxx came after a three-year trial showed patients taking the drug faced twice the risk of a heart attack or stroke after three years as patients taking a placebo. The risk did not appear until after 18 months, the company said. The trial was designed to see if Vioxx could prevent recurrence of colon polyps, which can become cancerous.

Merck is already facing lawsuits over Vioxx and those are likely to increase, analysts said, potentially opening the company to billions of dollars in liabilities.

"It's got to be bigger than fen-phen," said Hall, referring to Wyeth's recalled diet drug combination, which has already cost Wyeth $16 billion in charges to cover damages to people who claimed to have suffered heart damage. "Vioxx is a much bigger drug, so the exposure will be that much more."

Merck said it will defend itself vigorously against lawsuits.

"We have substantial defenses in these cases," said Kenneth Frazier, Merck's general counsel.

Despite the blow, members of Merck's board of directors said they stood behind the company's chief executive, and Gilmartin said he has no intention of resigning.

Board member Larry Bossidy said the company is looking both inside and outside the company for a potential successor to Gilmartin, who plans to retire in 2006.

"We think shareholders deserve to know we looked around for the best person we could find," Bossidy said.

The Vioxx recall comes as Merck is girding for the slated 2006 expiration of its U.S. patent on the cholesterol fighter Zocor, the company's top-selling product.

Merck said it expects costs associated with the Vioxx recall to reduce earnings by 50 cents to 60 cents per share in the second half of the year. It said it will give more financial details on Oct. 21.

Merck shares fell $12.27, or 27 percent, to $32.80 on the New York Stock Exchange. (Additional reporting by Toni Clarke, Bill Berkrot and Edward Tobin in New York, Debra Sherman in Chicago, and Lisa Richwine in Washington)

Dowdy is offline Junior Member

I have taken vioxx for a few years now. I have also had severe chest pains, I even thought I had a heart attact symptom. I am only 33. ALso had the bleeding and kidney pains. I never liked the drug, but the doctor recommended it and I have had a bad spinal cord injury so I followed his instructions. Now take celebrex, not sure if helps or not, but 200mg twice a day. I wish I knew the Vioxx caused this.

Meyer is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by Dowdy

I have taken vioxx for a few years now. I have also had severe chest pains, I even thought I had a heart attact symptom. I am only 33. ALso had the bleeding and kidney pains. I never liked the drug, but the doctor recommended it and I have had a bad spinal cord injury so I followed his instructions. Now take celebrex, not sure if helps or not, but 200mg twice a day. I wish I knew the Vioxx caused this.
    My mum has taken it for years for her knees, and last year she had a heart attack and had to have bypass surgery. I think the Vioxx is responsible. Have you checked any of the zillion legal firms advertising for Vioxx patients?

CHF
    CHF is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by Meyer

My mum has taken it for years for her knees, and last year she had a heart attack and had to have bypass surgery. I think the Vioxx is responsible. Have you checked any of the zillion legal firms advertising for Vioxx patients?

CHF
    CHF is offline New Member

Meyer I hope that you continue to investigate vioxx. I do believe that it has caused alot of problems for millions of people and they are hanging in limbo about how their angina and heart attacks came about with no previous heart problems. My cardiologist could not come up with any answers, so finally decided that it must have been viralmyocarditis but could never find what type of virus it was even through the mayo clinic and labs in Seattle and in Spokane. When the withdrawl of vioxx, things finally started to come together. I really feel bad for the doctors who have prescribed the medication and had NO idea what it would do to the heart. God Bless you and be with you and your mom. I actually had a heart attack in Nov 2000 with congestive heart failure. In Oct of 2001 I had congestive heart failure again with a heart ejection fraction in the low 20's. Just about did not live through this episode. Then in July of 2002 I was diganosed with ulcerative colonitis and was removed immediately from the drug by my doctor. I now have angina and vaso spasms and need to carry liquid nitro to use as needed. I am 58 and I never had any heart problems at all when I was put on vioxx in 2000 for a inflammed Knee and Burcitis in my hip. I am on disability now, so guess I will pay for taking the drug the rest of my life. Yet I am thankful to still be here.
    quote:Originally posted by Meyer

Angel Eyes is offline New Member

I took Vioxx for several years. It was the only thing that helped with my arthritis. When they took it off the market, though I understood the problem I was very upset. Where was I going to turn for pain relief?

Then I thought back. I had chest pains the entire time I was taking Vioxx. I had an abnormal heart beat about half the time when I went to the doctor for a checkup. I had some chest pains so bad I thought I was having a heart attack but I was so young, in my early 40's and female. The doctors at first weren't too concerned but I had a chemical stress test run just as a precaution. It went okay.

After hurting badly about a month after the Vioxx recall I tried some Celebrex and immediately the chest pains returned. I quit taking the Celebrex and no more chest pain. I used Tylenol Arthristis a while and it seemed to be quite helpful. I prayed alot. This prooved to the the answer to my arthritis pain. I now take nothing, just prayer. I rarely have any arthritis pain.
    Thank you God!