• 1 Post By scaredmomof2
  • 3 Post By Dave1124
  • 1 Post By amberwish
  • 1 Post By Denny_D
  • 1 Post By Denny_D
  • 1 Post By darrellhj
the Thomas Recipie...is it effective?
    Dave1124 is offline New Member

Default the Thomas Recipie...is it effective?

Hello everyone!!! I presently have a 2-5 bag /day >>>>>> habit and I'm really ready to quit!! I don't want to use methadone or suboxone or any other replacements as all they do is prolong the withdrawals. Want to do it cold turkey and was researching how to do it with the least amount of discomfort. I'm what you would call a veteran since I've been an addict for 24 years and I'm still battling the dragon so I've been through detoxes; too many to count. I came upon your site and the "Thomas Recipie" and would love to hear from anyone who's tried it and what side effects, if any, were encountered...I'm really glad I found this site and I'm looking forward to meeting others who are in my situation or have prevailed over this demon. I can also share my life experiences and maybe try to help anyone who needs advice or just someone to vent on....Thanks all!!![/FONT]
    amberwish likes this.

think I posted this in the wrong area...I apologize!!!

scaredmomof2 is offline Member

I was on pills, so not sure if the withdraw is similar but the thomas recipe worked for me. So many people say treat the symptoms and not the withdraw. i did that and it wasnt bad. i was taking 200mg hydrocodone and 100mg oxycodone a day on average, on my worst day. so was taking a lot for a 120# gal.

I would post a new thread attention robert. he is so helpful. also a man named denny but he is going thru some stuff in the hospital so may not get to reply as quick. give it time, someone will answer that is very similar to your story. promise. we all think no one will understand but that could not be farther from the truth!

i am also going to throw this out there. if you attend church, talk to your pastor. i did and he told me to talk to another member. she is 12 years sober this january! you will be suprised at who you know that is recovering and can help!

Blessings and Prayers!
    Clarabelle
    amberwish likes this.

Hi scaredmomof2, thanks for your reply!! That's the thing I luv about sites like this; there are lots of ppl here that are going through the same issues, just different substances. It helps to be able to discuss these problems without fear of being looked down upon, criticized and told to "suck it up" or grow up and just stop!!! Geez, if it were that simple there wouldn't be so many of us crying for help. People who have never touched a drink or drug tend to act holier-than-thou and can't comprehend why we do this to ourselves; we must be weak willed and defective...I hear things like this from family members and even some who are hypocrites in which they pass judgement on me while drinking like fishes and/or smoke pot every day.

Anyways, I don't have many real friends to talk to about my problems. I don't attend church though I believe in a Higher Power; spiritual or otherwise and I've tired of bottling this up...

amberwish is offline Member

Wink Thomas Recipe

Hey Dave, You are definitely in the right place!!! Someone will be able to help you with this. I am a pill head.......detoxed myself many times........now I am into my 3rd month of suboxone. This forum has put me on my path to recovery. I dont really know why I chose to go the suboxone route. Lately I feel like its the never ending withdrawal......Im in the process of tapering and although I am not nearly in the kind of hellish withdrawal we both know to feel but feeling a little discomfort with each tapper. Dunno which is better.... this or cold turkey. I think the purpose of going on suboxone therapy is learning how to feel normal for a bit instead of BAM......cold turkey and this is your life. I will say that over these last 2 months Ive actually felt NORMAL......so damn sober its ubelievable. At times ive felt like a raw open wound wandering around this earth. For these feelings.......I must say I am grateful. Learning how to live sober is tricky when for so long we have numbed! Ya know? So in that respec,t being on suboxone has been good, and really this is MY path and I must embrace it and continue!.......my way of running the show was no longer working. As far as the Thomas Recipe goes...... since ive been tapering for the last week Ive been on L-tyrosine, B7, calcium and magnesium. All I do is sleep!!!! I dont want to complain about that because I know eventually I probably will not be able to sleep. I just got a script from my doc for klonipin if I need it.....if im not mistaken klonipin makes you drowsy so I will not be taking that yet. I dont have a tub so unfortunately I cant relax in a tub. I have been tempted to check myself in a nice luxurious hotel with all the trimmings so I can take a nice long hot tubby!!!! Maybe I will treat myself....soon!!! I guess you can say that YES it has helped. Im working, sleeping and functioning in society without swallowing a mouth full of opiates every couple of hours......What a miracle!!!! Your next my friend!!!
    Good luck and keep posting!
    Dave1124 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1124 View Post
    Hi scaredmomof2, thanks for your reply!! That's the thing I luv about sites like this; there are lots of ppl here that are going through the same issues, just different substances. It helps to be able to discuss these problems without fear of being looked down upon, criticized and told to "suck it up" or grow up and just stop!!! Geez, if it were that simple there wouldn't be so many of us crying for help. People who have never touched a drink or drug tend to act holier-than-thou and can't comprehend why we do this to ourselves; we must be weak willed and defective...I hear things like this from family members and even some who are hypocrites in which they pass judgement on me while drinking like fishes and/or smoke pot every day.

Anyways, I don't have many real friends to talk to about my problems. I don't attend church though I believe in a Higher Power; spiritual or otherwise and I've tired of bottling this up...
    Dave - No problem. we are all here to help. whether we are 10 years or 2 days, everyone can help each other here! I will be at 30 days on saturday. very excited! YOU WILL GET THERE!

I know what you mean about the people that dont get it. my sister has never had a problem in her life, well with addiction. so when i told her she could not relate. then she did some research or talked to someone, who knows, but i do know within a few days she was ready to help! been a great supporter since!

Is there anyone you know that is a former addict, of anything? talking to those people does help. Here is great, dont get me wrong, but when you can call someone and say can you come over or take me to a meeting it really helps too! I have 2 girlfriends now that are really helping me. Just got off the phone with one. we talked for over an hour about things we did to get a fix, AA, taking drugs to not deal with emotional stuff. it was wonderful.

so again, reach out. where i live there are meetings everyday, like 20 to choose from too! go to one and someone may have a book to give you that has all meeting info. that is what i did. knew of one, went, now i know of hundreds. and these people dont judge. they have been there! i will suggest an open speaker one. someone else gets up and talks and you dont have to say anything if you dont want!

Anytime you need to talk i am here!

Much Love
    Clarabelle

Dave - i will also recommend you find a church. even if you have to go to a different one everyday for a year, you will find where you fit in.

FYI: I am a former sunday school teacher so sorry for pushing the church thing. just giving you options!

Clarabelle

Denny_D is offline Advanced Member

Hello everyone!!! I presently have a 2-5 bag /day >>>>>> habit and I'm really ready to quit!! I don't want to use methadone or suboxone or any other replacements as all they do is prolong the withdrawals. Want to do it cold turkey and was researching how to do it with the least amount of discomfort. I'm what you would call a veteran since I've been an addict for 24 years and I'm still battling the dragon so I've been through detoxes; too many to count. I came upon your site and the "Thomas Recipie" and would love to hear from anyone who's tried it and what side effects, if any, were encountered...I'm really glad I found this site and I'm looking forward to meeting others who are in my situation or have prevailed over this demon. I can also share my life experiences and maybe try to help anyone who needs advice or just someone to vent on....Thanks all!!![/FONT]
    Dave ..... Welcome to the forum. So happy that you have decided to post here and ask for help. That is a very big step in your recovery efforts to tell others your problems and seek help. You will find very caring people here all with the experience and desire to help you any way we can.

I would strongly suggest that you begin a new thread Dave so that it may be seen by many others. This post is on the end of a very long and old thread and may not be seen by the amount of people that could potentally help you. All you need to do is go back to the Drugs.com main page and look on the left hand side and click on the "Need to Talk" section. Then on the left side of the page a little way down is a blue oval button that reads "New Thread". Just click on that and then you can enter your question there. If you have problems finding or doing it just let me know and I will begin the thread for you. You can then cut and paste your question there for others to read.

You can certainly begin your detox using the cold turkey method and that may be the way for you to go. In fact that would be my suggestion to you as well. >>>>>> has one of the most intense withdrawal symptoms, but they do not tend to last a very long time such as some of the other more serious drugs. You could expect to be fully finished with the major symptoms in about 3 - 10 days or so. Maybe even less time. Others have reported a complete detox from >>>>>> in about 3 - 5 days total time. I always tend to be cautious.

The Thomas Recipe is a very good program for you in your efforts to get clean. It provides a source of vitamins and supplements that are beneficial to your detox. The Benzo's that are mentioned are on a "as needed" basis and I would not suggest you bother with those right now. You may need them later and we can discuss that then.

The absolute best thing that will work in your favor is to have a positive attitude. If the brain knows and thinks you are happy and content then it will make for a very easy recovery. Also you will need to stay completely busy with things. DO NOT just sit around and think about your problems or worries all of the time. Get out and go for a walk every chance you get. A bike ride or swimming will also make all of the difference to you. And get some protein shakes to help with energy loss. Get real good ones from a health club. And aslo try some Melatonin or/and Sleepy Time Tea to help with sleep control. They are both natural supplements and work for some very well. Also hot baths and showers are a must for tired and sore muscles.

Everyone is different and what works for one may not be the same for you. But the basics are always essential. Do the next right thing and you will have the very best chance of recovery. We will be here for you at all times. And before you even think of taking another dose of your drug of choice please try to post first so someone may be with you to hopefully keep you from making a big mistake.

Hope this all helps Dave and please try to begin the new thread right away. It really will make the difference. And please keep posting often so we know your thoughts and may suggest other things as you go along. A pleasure to "talk" to you and hope you understand that everyone really wants to help in any way we can. God Bless.....Denny
    scaredmomof2 likes this.

Dave ..... You should also find a NA, AA, or Celebrate Recovery meeting in your area to attend regularly. The knowledge and companionship that you will find at the meetings will be so valuable to your overall recovery. It is one thing to get clean, but it is another to remain clean. That is where the meetings are so beneficial to you.

You can google for one or more in your area. You shouild try to attend as many as possible each week. Try to put as much effort in your detox and recovery as you did in finding and using drugs! It takes real effort to get clean. But even more to remain that way! You can do this Dave. I have complete confidence in you.

You have to want it more than anything else. If you don't like one meeting then try another one. Some people like AA more than NA. It really doesn't matter which you choose as they both use the 12-step program. Celebrate Recovery is a Christian-based program. You will find so many new friends at meetings that are in the very same position as you are Dave. Please give this your immediate attention! God Bless.....Denny
    lilred99897 likes this.

Dave .... so sorry about telling you this was a old thread. I have been away for a bit and thought you were on a different thread. I am so sorry! But if you would make a new thread and place it in the "Need to Talk" section you will get many more responses that you will here I believe. Sorry for the error! God Bless....Denny

darrellhj is offline New Member

Dave, I know first-hand what you say about methadone or suboxone just prolonging the w/d symptoms .... I got off suboxone this past summer after tapering for 3 years ... I missed almost a month of work and it took 3-4 months before I felt normal again. Cold turkey directly from H is so much shorter (although more painful and intense), and if I had to do it over again I would go cold turkey like you're doing. Once you get past days 3 and 4, you will be home free. Ginger ale helped me a tiny bit, for what it's worth.

Darrell
    lilred99897 likes this.

nobby02 is offline Member

Never thought I would say this but YES. It has certainly been easier for me than when I have detoxed before.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

I've seen the Thomas Recipe help a ton of people on this forum. You've got to stick it out! God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.