The Science of Drug Addiction
    Robert_325 is offline Retired

Post The Science of Drug Addiction

I ran across this report from the NIDA (National Institute of Drug Abuse) and thought it was kind of interesting. It doesn't really take any sides about anything, just offers some reasonable explanations for some questions about addiction, treatment, recovery, how the brain works, etc. It's easy reading and thought some of us might enjoy the information. God bless.

www.drugabuse.gov/scienceofaddiction/sciofaddiction.pdf
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Miles is offline Member

Pure tommyrot! The opening two sentences in Chapter I are bold-faced lies. (“Addiction is defined as a chronic, relapsing brain disease that is characterized by compulsive drug seeking and use, despite harmful consequences. It is considered a brain disease because drugs change the brain—they change its structure and how it works.”)

Addiction is NOT a brain disease! Period! Strokes, Alzheimer’s, tumors...those are brain diseases. How convenient to explain one's making ill-advised choices on some chemical/neurochemical anomaly in the brain that mystically destroys free will and places one at the mercy of an inert, inanimate entity called a drug. Abuse of drugs may indeed "change the brain," and if they do, the treatment of such changes should fall under the purview of neurology, certainly not psychology/psychiatry. If there is no lesion, there is no disease! It's that simple.

Don't be misled by the purveyors of morality, and view with skepticism anything published by NIDA.

oxycondone is offline New Member

Question help please????

Hi,
    I had gallbladder surgery and still had pain..Of course taking 10mg lortab..I got 90 a month.. I was taking 5-6 a day. I was still in pain and they discovered that I had an incisional hernia that was caused from the surgeon that did not stitch the scope holes from Gallbladder surgery. My surgeon put me on 10mg percocet. I have been taking that now for over a yr. off and on, going no more than week without it... The thing is I half it and only take one half but within an hour take the other half. So I am taking up to 6 halves which is 5 mg a piece. How long will my WD last??? I have gained 30 lbs while taking these and I am digusted....Is there things I can do to help with the he@@ I am going thru... Depression is the worst and so tired... Any info would be much appreciated..

Thanx,
    Oxycondone (for too long)