pain Pump for senior citizen with back problems
    lovemymac is offline New Member

Default pain Pump for senior citizen with back problems

My grandpa is considering a pain pump and i want to know if this is something we should look into for him or not.
    I have heard that this is like the last resort for pain and that if it doesnt work there is no hope.
    I refuse to believe in no hope.

He was in a car accident many years ago and it has really kept him down over the years. They were hit by a drunk driver and he ended up hitting the windshied and it really threw his back out. YEars before that he had hurt it when working on some equipment that fell on his back.

Then 3 years ago he had a heart attack and he went code blue 25 times and they kept shocking him with the paddles in order to revive him and it really did a number on his back because he would be lifted off the table when hit with the paddles and then hard landed on it.

I know he is on several meds right now but he is in pain all the time. I am concerned that the pain pump might not be good for him. I want him to be able to get out and do things which he cant and spend time with his great grandaughter but i dont know if this pump will just drug him up or what.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

It depends what the drs put in the pump. They can regulate the maximum amount of medication that he has available within a given timeframe. He can't just hold the button down and get medication continually. He won't even have that kind.

There are different kinds of pumps. He would have one that would be implanted most likely. As long as the medication is controlled it should be safe. Do you know what drug they are wanting to put in the pump? That and the dose they're giving him would be my concern more than just the pump itself. Let us know. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

lovemymac is offline New Member

I will find out what drug and so forth they want to put in.
    I just dont want to lose him and i also know he hurts and its hurting to us to not be able to do things with him and take him to the zoo and so many other places i know he would love to go if he didnt hurt.

We have been praying i dont know what else to do. I just know i want him to be able to spend quality time with his great granddaughter and play with her and i want her to remember him just as i do when i was growing up.

I also want to find out why they cant relieve the pain by some sort of back surgery or something. I always feel you should find out what is causing the problem before just giving out pain drugs.