New Oxycontin pill
    Hbomb22 is offline New Member

Default New Oxycontin pill

Has anyone heard of a new type of Oxycontin pill coming out on the market? Any info would be appriciated.

doc.rose is offline Advanced Member

I read a article in the business section of the LA Times a few years ago that said the makers of Oxxycontin were working on a way to make the pills useless if they are crushed or tampered with in any way. Because of all the drug overdoses and the amount of people abusing the pills they want to make it tamper resistant. So basically if you crush or cut the pill, it will lose it's potentcy immediately. I think it is great!! Is that the info you wanted?

Hbomb22 is offline New Member

No I know that already I wanted to know if they got the go ahead to start making the tamper resistant pills.

doc.rose is offline Advanced Member

I believe they are doing it now. I am sure they have the ball rolling already. Don't know when it will be available to the public though. They article didn't say that.

rpascarella01 is offline New Member

I have been getting a brand called Activist they are 80mg Generic Oxycontin say 80 on one side and OC on the other. These work as well as the real thing, I am still trying to find out where they came from. Plus you do know that the Oxy's come in 10,20,30,40,60 and 80mg. The 30's and 60's are fairly new

Signqueen is offline New Member

Default Oxy Reply

I know that Ethex came out with a new generic, perhaps that is what it is.

EricaMarie is offline Member

They do have some that has been out for a while now......80mg...they are orangeish in color. If one tries to shoot them they gel up on you so it doesn't work. Also happens when you try to snort them.

that would be good. one more reason to stay of these stupid pills. i always chewed the oc 80's. not at one time but more than one a day.

that would be very good for people like me who would chew it. I hope they change them all.

Rangers is offline Member

Yes EricaMarie is correct. I was prescribed 80 MG just last month. I do not have the bottle anymore but I know it said for "Opiate Tolerant Patients" on it. EricaMarie was correct when she said they gel up when trying to snort. The pharmacy that I get my meds from, the owner is a childhood friend of mine for over 30 years. He mentioned that they do gel up, when I asked him since they were new to the market, is there anything different about them. The ones I received were like a topish, (gray/brown) in color. I take 1 every 8 hrs., 3x a day for severe crohnes disease and a severe diabetic neurapothy in my feet.
    Ranger
    Last edited by Rangers; 01-31-2010 at 05:49 AM.

newt0690 is offline New Member

Lightbulb New Formula for OxyContin

The new formula is TAMPER RESISTANT. Let me make that clear. It is supposed to be tamper proof as in you cannot cut, crush, chew, dissolve, snort, or inject it. It has a polymer like substance that gels up as soon as it hits liquid. It is super hard and tough to cut with a razor blade, but possible with the right knife. If someone tries to snort or inject it, it gels up instantly to the consistancy of a gummy bear. If you crush it, it just kind of squishes and flatens out. If you do manage to crush it, it breaks up into big chunks. It won't dissolve either.

This is supposed to deter people from abusing the drug and when not tampered with, it is supposed to work just the same. I, however, have many problems with this situation. I think more harm can come than good. Let me know if you need anymore information on it. They are supposed to wipe out the former OC's completely to the point where they are no longer made and Purdue is trying to stop any generics of the old version from being made.

kristie08 is offline New Member

they started making them already.. my parents are both prescribed to oxycontin and their pharmacy told my dad that half of his pills are the old ones and half are the new ones..because they are getting rid of all the old ones.(the ones you can tamper with)

they are made so that once they hit water, it turns to gel, making it impossible to inject.
    also, if you crush the pill and try to snort it, it will gel up in your nose making it impossible to get any kind of effect from it.

so basically, this could be a really good thing or a really bad thing in my opinion. now its going to be that the people who were abusing oxys are going to say, "ohh too bad i might as well just get clean now" .. or .. "i guess its time to move on to >>>>>>.

and i think we all know the path that most will take, unfortunately.
    only talking from experience..because thats what i did.

Exclamation

Personally, I can see a lot of problems with this that the FDA and Purdue did not think over. One can still get high when taking large doses in multiple quantities, as stated by the FDA. When doing this, one is at a much higher risk of an over-dose because there is less control on the levels of the drug injested at once. Not to mention, as kristie08 mentioned, more people will turn to >>>>>> faster which is harder to control in many ways. What is in it, the amount that you really get. People could turn back to percocets, or get clean.

What if someone is allergic to the Remoxy in the pill? It is still a substance that is under testing and they have not proven the side affects of it. If someone is allergic, the chemical will slowly release in their bodies and might not have a reaction right away and when it builds up, it could be fatal.

Concerning the side affects, we all know that oxycodone causes constipation. The Remoxy could very well make this side affect worse by making the stool sticky and more compacted.

I really see more bad about this than good. Since i have been taking them, my digestion has been more irregular and sticky, which mydiet hasn't changed ans I wonder if the former is the cause. Not to mention, they have not worked for relieving any pain. I have a severely messed up spine (the list is too long) and I need this to even function and get out of bed in the morning. I have had to find percocets to take the edge off.

I don't see this working. Oh and they were approved in April of this year and released at the beginning of August.

lisam1120 is offline New Member

Default The new oxy's are worthless

I have recieved the new Oxycontin's and I can tell you that they work nothing at all like the old ones. I do not abuse my meds in anyway at all. I have been taking these for the past 2.5 yrs and I finally got my life back to where I was able to function like a normal human and that has been taken away from me again in a matter of one day.
    The new ones take approx 3-4 hours to even get into your system and they do nothing at all for pain, instead they cause me to be physically sick and violently. What I throw up now is like a thick syrup. When its time to take my next dose about an hour or two before that, I get severe debilitating headaches and one top of that, horrible heartburn. I am now back up to a level 7 pain after being at a level 2 for the past two yrs.
    I am devestated by this change and am so angry at the abusers that have brought this change on. I am a mother to 4 children who cant even attend functions due to not being able to stand for a period of time, I can no longer do a complete grocery shop, I have to keep my hair cut short because I cant hold onto a hairdryer for any longer than 15 mins. This has totally set me back and i'm so angry about it.
    I have an appt with my PM doc tomorrow to discuss trying to find yet again another formula of meds to help me regain my life back.
    There have been thousands of complaints already sent to the FDA and Purdue about this new formula and I personally have read on other forums many many people who are true pain patients that are debating to turn to the streets to get the relief they once were able to get with the old oxy's.

Its truly a shame that people such as myself are made to have to suffer again....

Angry

I understand that one completely. I am 20 years old with severe chronic back and leg pain. I have been on OxyContin for 2 years now and the change is devistating. The same thing happened to me when I started taking the new pills and I got so bad to the point I had to go to the hospital and get an IV and percocets to try and make up the difference. I can't even use the restroom alone because I cannot make it there, my boyfriend has to take me in there.

Abusers caused this, and honest people are paying for it

Bubbi is offline New Member

First the generics for OC where taken off the market via a lawsuit by Purdue. I am now in my 2nd month with the new OC's and they are the same to me. They work just as well and thank God I have had no side effects. I have been on this med for over 10 yrs and the only time I found a difference is when the generics were removed from the market and Purdue.s OC was all one could get and I found that the generics did not work as well as the non-generic form of OC.

However, yesterday my pharmacist told me that everyone was complaining about the new pill--stomach problems etc... I am sorry for those it does not work for but very grateful it works for me because my Doc will not go anywhere else except Methadone which I can not take at all.

Should be interesting to see how this plays out.
    Bubbi

Oxygonebad is offline New Member

I just got a refill of the new oxycontin:......the pill has a sticky glue like gel coating...very different....in a good way to some. Thats all ive got to say about that

sharonmay7 is offline New Member

i was put on the pain patch ofter 2 months of the new op oxy. while still taking them, I went through 5 weeks of withdraw. So no they DO NOT WORK!!

npm3yrs is offline New Member

Default Reformulated OxyContin

I too was taking OxyContin for severe pain due to a serious accident. I was able to get my daily pain level down to a 5-6 with the old OxyContin. Last month, I received the new pills (OP) and got violently sick. This was due to Purdue using a lot of fillers in the pill. In my case I wasn't getting enough in my system and what I was getting did not stay in my system for more than 3 hours. I had a variety of symptoms including: nausea, stomache cramps, diahrrea, lack of energy, shortness of breath and pain that returned in full force (10). I didn't realize what was going on since I wasn't aware of the new change. I DO NOT abuse my meds in any way. I use my meds to help me live somewhat of a normal life. The reason it was reformulated is to prevent people from using it in ways that it wasn't intended. We know that it was not made to snort, shoot or use it in any other way that some have been using it. According to the manufacturer the pill cannot be crushed into a fine powder and it turns into a gel like substance making it impossible to inject. Hopefully, this will keep people from getting a high or dying from misusing this prescription med. I'm thankful that Oxycontin is not the be-all and end-all of pain meds. Fortunately, my doctor has put me on another pain regimen that, so far, seems to be much better than the OxyContin placebo that is now being prescribed. Good luck to the ones that are medically in need of pain meds. Hopefully, your doctor will find a new pain regimen that will work just as well as OxyContin.

tciii23 is offline New Member

Agreed.

I've been on various narcotic analgesics for roughly 6 years. I've tried most of them. Oxycodone/acet., hydrocodone, fentanyl patches, and oxycontin. In the last 2 years i've been able to reduce my consumption to 20mg pills, 3X daily. I also use 10mg hydrocodone. In the past, I took 80mg, oxycontin, and decided it was too much. I realized this when I had a surgery, which consequently was very painful, and found that my body had become acclimated to higher levels of opiates in my system. As such, treating post-surgery pain had more challenges than it otherwise would have. As I said, i'm consuming 3 pills per day, 20mg pills each, for a total of 60mg in a 18-26 hour period. The 10mg hydrocodone seems to help when immediate relief is needed, along with high dose Motrin.

Onto the bad news. The various pharms have all switched to the reformulated OC. In Sept, I filled the OC, and had observed the shape of the pill was different. Rather than OC, the pill was embossed with an OP. I didn't think much of it. After taking the pills as directed for 3 or 4 days, I noted there was a marked decrease in the analgesic effect of this pain medication. I had given it more time, and conducting my own experiments, and came to the conclusion that for me, the new OP formulation seems to be 20%-25% less effective, as opposed to 80% effective on a 100 point scale. I spoke with a number of pharmacy employees and they explained a number of patients have reported the same findings. As such, I contacted Purdue to express my concernsa and they duly noted my concerns, and sent me follow up forms to be returned.

Generally speaking, it's clear that the majority of active forum participants share the perception that the new formulation is less effective. Will Purdue revert to the older formula? No. in short it's a risk management issue, and a compliance issue. Purdue and other manufacturers are using "due dilligence" and "reasonable effort' to create a product that does more to prevent certain specific types of abuse. We need to remember, Oxycontin in particular has been villified by the public, media and government alike. On a local program here in Southern California I watched a woman make a statement that she feels it's better for those in pain to suffer to protect the greater good of children, and that the number of people in pain is so minimal that their opinion should be discounted during the "oxy debates". Pretty selfish woman, but I fear there are more people out there who share that sentiment.

debird is offline New Member

With years of back pain & this being the only medication that worked, I had tried to return to work. Things were going well, I was able to work & move around, the more I did the more I could do. I was able to reduce what I was taking by 1/2, then the changed pills hit. My pain was no longer controlled, the new mix seemd to make me more tired. With todays economy I was one of the first to go, no longer keeping up with the numbers needed.

Why can't trusted patients still get the old mix that worked?