Methadone Noob....
    Brent T is offline New Member

Default Methadone Noob....

Hello, my name is Brent. I am an opiate addict of about 7-8 years. About a month ago I decided to go on Methadone maintenance. I honestly feel the best i have felt in years. I wake up and go to work everyday. I am no longer involved in ANY illegal activites. My relationship with my family is the best it has ever been, and most importantly I don't have any desire to use at all. I do however have some questions about some of the side effects and rather than read about them I would like to ask some people first hand. Whatever insight anyone could give me (good or bad) would be greatly appreciated. My first question is...does anyone else have problems going to the bathroom? It is very hard to go for me (both ways). My counselor said not to worry about it, but I can't help but wonder if it is a bad thing. Anyone???

zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

I don't have personal experience with Methadone, but I can tell you that the bathroom problems are perfectly normal, you can help it along, so to speak, LOL, by using some fiber producs like Metamucil everyday. You may also want to try a stool softener like Dulcolax, so when you do go, it isn't like squeezing out boulders.

This is a very common side effect from taking any kinds of narcotics and/or opiods.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~

zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

P.S. I have gotten the best and fastest relief for my issue, since I am a pain management patient and take heavy narcotics every day, from using either Benefiber Chewables or Fiber Choice hard candy fiber drops.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Hi Brent: I've been taking methadone for almost 4 years now and I can tell you that you have to stay active and eat a good diet.Stay away from binge eating (sweets).Start by going for a walk in the morning and then again after supper.Drink lots of fluids like water and or sport drinks like gatoraide ect.Methadone is an exellent drug if you take a stable dose everyday and lead an active healthy lifestyle.....Dave

Brent T is offline New Member

Thanks alot! I need to stay away from the sweets[]Haha! That's gonna be hard! Besides that I am pretty healthy. I can't stand the taste of soft drinks anymore, so thats good. Thanks for the advice so far. Please offer anymore that you can.

Brent

DSLDAW is offline Member

I've been on Methadone for over 2 years and yes, I do have problems
    urinating,not the other.That is the worst and only side effect I can
    think of.I have also heard horror stories of constipation from pain
    medication like Percocet.

opiattire is offline New Member

i am not on methadone yet. currently i am on subutex and completely miserable at this point. i won't lie though i have to drink either milk of magnesia or take ex-lax chocolates or pills every other day or else i get ungodly constipation. it's terrible. my psychiatrist is switching me to methadone because the subutex is causing me to feel sick when i take a certain amount (we don't really know why, but after five months it's really just not working at all.) i haven't slept, barely eat, and i've lost about ten pounds in the past couple of weeks. i may be getting skinnier but i'm also starting to lose my stinkin mind. my question is (sorry if i seem like an idiot), how much stronger is methadone. i've heard from some people that it's just like trading one demon for another. i'm a recovering oxycontin, percocet, vicodin, and morphine addict (never tried H and never planned on it), i was a heavy user for close to two years and i need something better than the sub. so i just wanted to know what to expect with my induction with methadone. any response would be really appreciated. blessings to all.

We were somewhere near barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

stickyfingers is offline Junior Member

I think you'll find the methadone is similar to morphine, except methadone is stronger and lasts longer. I started taking the methadone while running on morphine for a week, about 120 mgs a day. I was really freaked out after the first 45 mins after taking my initial dose of methadone, cause I didn't feel better. It took about an hour to kick in. It is strong. I only started at 30mg methadone and it was plenty!!! You'll probably be "high" from it for like the first week of dosing. It works well though. Very little side effects and no strong desire to use other opiates. Be careful not to fall into the cocaine/freebase trap. Substituing one drug for another. A lot of people I know wound up getting hooked on freebase while on methadone, b/c the methadone helps take the "edge" off of the base high.
    I had the same side effect of difficult urination. #2 wasn't too bad. ate a salad everyday and increased my water intake. Your sex drive/ function will take a hit. It took me about a week to sleep well on the methadone. I just detoxed of 40mgs a day for four months. Not too much fun withdrawing off methadone. I detoxed too fast though.... 2mgs per day from 20mgs. Make sure to follow clinic instructions when detoxing. usually 1mg every three days from 20mgs. Best of luck- the methadone will definitely help get your proverbial sh*t back together.

JP

thanks for the words of encouragement. i have now been on the methadone for only about three days. even though i was originally induced on the 29th of august, i gave up what i was doing at the time because i realized that i was in a experimental section of a mental hospital (which i wasn't told about before i went in, my original understanding was that i was going into a real hospital for treatment, but that wasn't the case...lying assholes.) anyway, after threatening a lawsuit and refusing treatment i went back home and went on subutex for another ten days till my scheduled appointment with the methadone doctor. i now am officially working on getting myself readjusted. i'm finding that twenty milligrams at once is working much better than just ten two times a day. i'm not sleeping though. not at all, mostly i'm up all night and i'll pass out at times just from my body being so exhausted cause i'm an insomniac already. anyway thanks for the information. so far there's a little bit of a high, but it's not making me want to abuse. i think that this was a good choice.

We were somewhere near barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

oh yeah one more thing, you don't have to worry about me and freebasing. i've done cocaine in the past, but uppers have never really been my thing. i'm a downer junkie, not in the sense of barbituates, but in the sense of opiates. it's bad, i mean, i'm afraid to come off of anything like methadone or subutex, because i already know that i'm going to relapse. i mean, it's so easy now-a-days to get a script. i mean hell the internet has foreign pharmacies where you can order opiates, and there's always herbal forms of opiates as well, but i'm not naming names on that one. anyway, i'm just going to do this for now, cause it's safe. as much as it may be trading one demon for another, i'm still clean from the narcotics that trashed my pancreas and liver.

CONCERNED LOVE is offline New Member

DO YOU NEED A PERSCRIPTION FOR THIS METHODONE?? I NEED TO HELP MY BOYFRIEND WITH CRACK WITHDRAWEL??? HE HAS NO INSURANCE.

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

methadone will do nothing for methamphetamine addiction.Yes you need a prescription....Will power and stay away from other crackheads will help him the most....Good luck....Dave