Methadone to get off Duragesic fentanyl
    SilverTears is offline Junior Member

Default Methadone to get off Duragesic fentanyl

I'm going crazy trying to get off of these fentanyl transdermal patches. I don't have a problem with them sticking, but there are so many things I can't do. The print out from the pharmacy is really a small book on how dangerous they can be. As I said in my first post, I was never supposed to have been on fentanyl. My family doc nor my surgeon put me on them. I was in rehab for three months after four surgeries to remove the big bone in my upper arm and replace it with titanium, due to a malignant tumor in the middle of the bone. I was on a morphine pump while in the hospital, and from there I was supposed to switch to an oral pain med for a short time.

In rehab a nurse practitioner put a 100mcg patch on me and was kept on them for three months until I went home. I was totally unaware of how addictive and awful they can be. My family doc agreed to help me get off of them after I was on them a year. It wasn't a matter of switching to another pain med. because I no longer needed that.

So here I am. I have researched the fentanyl transdermal pain patch in depth. They are 45 times as strong as oral morphine. You can't be in the sun or let your body get hot in a shower or bath. (Like I love taking showers that are slightly warm.) If I accidently puncture the patch it can all empty into my body at once and cause me to OD. UGH!!

My doc makes a taper (which is hard to do with the patch) every three months. The first one from 100mcg to 75mcg wasn't bad. The second to50mcg wasn't as easy and I had some w/d. Three months later I went to a 25mcg plus a 12mcg and that's where I am now and I'm having some nast w/d. RLS is driving me nuts. Nausea, trouble sleeping, shaking, bones aching, brain zaps, anxiety, and depression.

There is a rapid detox my doc will try if I agree. I can take methadone for two weeks while wearing the patches I'm on now, then take them off and stay on methadone for another week. It sounds good but I'm afraid. I'm at the point where I have nothing to lose, so I might try it.

Thanks for letting me vent.
    Good Luck and Take Care.....ST

Melis11577 is offline Junior Member

Methadone is just as dangerous why would you want to switch from one dangerous drug to the drug that killing more in the country then >>>>>> and cocaine.

On June 24th 2006 I lost my fiance (Ron) to this deadly drug prescribed by a physician with a combination of other medications that acted as additives to the Methadone. He had knee surgery and became addicted to the percocet he was prescribed. He checked himself into Greenleaf in Valdosta, GA for detoxification. Upon entering the facility he was drug tested and did not come up positive for opiates (he had stopped taking the percocet 4 days before entering the facility). On the fourth day in detox he died sometime between 2am and 1pm in the afternoon (he was never checked on in all of those hours). The night before he died he was complaining of migraines and vomiting, apparently the staff thought he was still experiencing withdrawals and was not concerned about these symptoms. The symptoms of methadone toxicity mimic withdrawal symptoms physicians and staff must be very cognizant of the complex properties and metabolization of methadone. There were many errors made in my fiances death including the fact that he was given numerous amounts of additive medications such as benzodiazepines. He had only been taking percocet for about 4 months and according to the DSM IV he wouldn't be an appropriate candidate methadone maintenance treatment.

It doesn't matter specific reasons for taking methadone but what does matter is that this medication is deadly and physicians need to more prudent in prescribing it as well as monitoring their patients while beginning treatment of any kind using Methadone. I'm not sure if Ron was given methadone for the sole purpose for detoxification from opiates or if it was a combination of pain relief associated with numerous surgeries and opiate addiction. Methadone is difficult to properly dose no matter what reason it's being used for and primarily relies on the patient's indications of how they feel (assumedly they are being monitored). There are ways to make the administration of methadone safer, it's just a matter of putting the focus on this drug and the deadly consequences when administered incorrectly or not monitored.

Many people are dying unnecessarily at the hands of the physicians they turn to for help. Methadone deaths are rising throughout the country. Ron was 32 years old and has 2 children from a previous marriage that now do not have a father.

We are asking government agencies to enact stricter guidelines in prescribing methadone for any reason. It must be mandatory that all doctors be certified and trained in the pharmacology of methadone; inpatient stays must be required during induction to methadone; all staff be extensively trained in monitoring methadone patients for symptoms of toxicity. Take home doses for all patients receiving methadone should be eliminated thus preventing the risk of diversion or precautions such as pill safe should be implemented.
    Current statistics show that nearly 4000 people a year die from methadone. These deaths are mostly happening to pain management and detoxification patients within the first 10 days of taking initial dose. Most of these deaths are related to methadone prescribed with other medications that react as additives with methadone. Diversion of methadone is a serious problem because it lands this most deadly drug on streets. Statistics also state that methadone is contributing to more deaths nationwide then >>>>>>e and cocaine.

The other families and I have created a petition that will be forwarded to the FDA to implore them to Stop Methadone Deaths. Please see the petition and you can read the numerous stories of lives this drug has taken. I have also compiled a research paper with all relevant statistics and information that you will find on the petition site.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 12-12-2011 at 09:25 PM.

Read up on fentanyl!!

Melis11577 is offline Junior Member

quote:Originally posted by SilverTears

Read up on fentanyl!!
    Thank you I have....is it killing more then 4000 a year

www.renato-capozzo.memory-of.com

quote:Originally posted by Melis11577

quote:Originally posted by SilverTears

Read up on fentanyl!!
    Thank you I have....is it killing more then 4000 a year

www.renato-capozzo.memory-of.com
    I don't think you understand. I'm not going to detox. I'm just checking into the local hospital. I never abused any drug. The fentanyl patches were put on me after surgery. I want off of it. The methadone would only be given to me while I was in the hospital. I won't be on either fentanyl or methadone in two weeks.

You are judging me. I have not said a bad word to you or had a bad thought about you. I expressed my sympathy for the loss of your loved one. I know lives are taken every day by drugs. That's why I don't want anything to do with them. I have never been high on my meds.
    Does anyone here know what I'm really trying to say and understand it??

Baby Steps is offline Senior Member

I understand completely ST! I think what your doing is a great way to get rid of it all. You don't haqve many options nor did you choose to do this to yourself. Hang in there. I'm sure Mellis is taking her grief out on the drug and people who are innocently addicted by either a doctors over prescribing or like in my case I was hit twice by a Mac truck and pinned between it and a jersey wall, leaving me pinned together at the hip and various other places. I never took a drug before that accident except aspirin but in order to keep me out of shock and horrific pain I was prescribed drugs to keep me somewhat comfortable. In that process my body has become addicted. I have chosen to get off these meds and deal with the pain on my own because I can't stand living like this anymore like I'm sure you feel and like obviosly her fiance' felt or he wouldn't have gone in to get clean. I wasn't killed in the truck accident but I sometimes wished I was so I am going to live! And you too will do what you have to do to live as well and we are here for you. Please go into the painkiller addiction site for awesome support. I am always in there with many other wonderful supportive people. We'd love to have ya!!!

Peace and God Bless,

Hugz,

Baby Steps

shredded20 is offline Junior Member

Hey ST I'd try the methadone its helped me get through the worst of fent. and oxy's. it way better and the withdrawels are not near as bad...its not as dangerous as them either, i'd try it if I were you, take it easy.

quote:Originally posted by Baby Steps

I understand completely ST! I think what your doing is a great way to get rid of it all. You don't haqve many options nor did you choose to do this to yourself. Hang in there. I'm sure Mellis is taking her grief out on the drug and people who are innocently addicted by either a doctors over prescribing or like in my case I was hit twice by a Mac truck and pinned between it and a jersey wall, leaving me pinned together at the hip and various other places. I never took a drug before that accident except aspirin but in order to keep me out of shock and horrific pain I was prescribed drugs to keep me somewhat comfortable. In that process my body has become addicted. I have chosen to get off these meds and deal with the pain on my own because I can't stand living like this anymore like I'm sure you feel and like obviosly her fiance' felt or he wouldn't have gone in to get clean. I wasn't killed in the truck accident but I sometimes wished I was so I am going to live! And you too will do what you have to do to live as well and we are here for you. Please go into the painkiller addiction site for awesome support. I am always in there with many other wonderful supportive people. We'd love to have ya!!!

Peace and God Bless,

Hugz,

Baby Steps
    (((((Baby Steps)))))))

OMG!! You have been through so much. Your experience is absolutely horrible. It made my blood run cold. You have a lot more guts than I could ever hope for.

I see why you want off some of the drugs that they probably had to use during the treatment of your terrible accident, but to be honest, I would ask for something (even if it was something not very strong) for the pain after detox. I don't have any pain, so I am very lucky there. My arm doesn't work, but it's not painful now, either.

Your reply came to me just at the right time. You have shown me how much worse I could have had it. I have so much respect for you and you're strength to still help others.

I have nothing against Melis. She's mourning the death of someone she loved dearly. I don't think she understands right now what I'm trying to explain. I would probably feel the same way if it was me.

Thanks so much....You have helped more than you will ever know.
    Hugs....ST

quote:Originally posted by shredded20

Hey ST I'd try the methadone its helped me get through the worst of fent. and oxy's. it way better and the withdrawels are not near as bad...its not as dangerous as them either, i'd try it if I were you, take it easy.
    (((((((Shredded)))))))

I have been trying to work up the nerve to take that final step and use the methadone to detox off the fentanyl pain patches. You have given me the courage to do it. If I stick with the taper it would be months before I was off of it, and there is some w/d with each cut. With the methadone it's a little over a week...at the worst, just two weeks. Then the methadone and fentanyl are gone and I'm free..

If I can ever help you let me know. I will always remember you and Baby Steps as part of my recovery.

Hugs....ST

I will not walk in front of you. I will not walk behind you. I will walk beside you as your equal.

Hey ST!!! Thank you so much for your kind and compassionate words they mean the world to me. Don't underestimate your pain.... It may not be physical but addiction is just as painful as my physical pain trust me I know! I have discussed non narcotic options with my doctor and he has mentioned something called ultram but when I looked it up it's just as bad as the vicodin and morphine so I am going to try a more natural as well as over the counter method for now once I get through my withdrawal and pray that will work. I just have so much life to live and the pills have changed my life in a way I can't even discribe and I just don't like it one bit!

Enough about me... How are you? Please tell me how things are working out for you and what the doctor has planned for you. I care very much and would like for you to stay in touch often. Have you considered this sub I've heard a lot about? Or does the treatment center only use methadone?

Hang in there ST and know my thoughts prayers are with you!!

Hugz,

Baby Steps

Hey ST!!! Thank you so much for your kind and compassionate words they mean the world to me. Don't underestimate your pain.... It may not be physical but addiction is just as painful as my physical pain trust me I know! I have discussed non narcotic options with my doctor and he has mentioned something called ultram but when I looked it up it's just as bad as the vicodin and morphine so I am going to try a more natural as well as over the counter method for now once I get through my withdrawal and pray that will work. I just have so much life to live and the pills have changed my life in a way I can't even discribe and I just don't like it one bit!

Enough about me... How are you? Please tell me how things are working out for you and what the doctor has planned for you. I care very much and would like for you to stay in touch often. Have you considered this sub I've heard a lot about? Or does the treatment center only use methadone?

Hang in there ST and know my thoughts prayers are with you!!

Hugz,

Baby Steps
    Hi Baby Steps,

I wish I knew how to reply without using quote, but I haven't figured that out yet. lol

You have been so helpful to me. I have felt much better since I got your first reply. It's amazing how wonderful it is to "talk" to someone who knows where you're coming from. That's why this forum is good.

I have come quite a ways in my taper. Started with 100mcg fentanyl pain patch, went down to 75mcg easy, then to 50mcg which was when I got all kinds of w/d symptoms. They get worse with each cut. I'm now on a 25 and a 12mcg and I'm just starting to level out now. The w/d was was horrible this last time. I didn't know anyone could feel this bad. Everything I had hurt. Even my hair I think. (it seemed that way. lol) My Dr. waits at least three months before changing my dose and she's been great, but it's so long between cuts. Usually, at least three months. I feel like I'll never get off of these patches at that rate and all I have to look forward to is more withdrawal.

I can still finish out that way, but the methadone would be much faster, and if I had any w/d it would be the last one and not nearly as bad. I wouldn't be left on it long enough to become addicted. I know that happens sometimes.

I'm not going to a detox center. My Dr. wants to put me in the hospital on a regular floor so I will be watched continuously.

I will probaby ask for something that isn't too strong after detox, but like you, my arm doesn't work anymore and there is no pain from it.

I can't imagine going through what happened to you. At least mine was surgical. The pain and fear you must have felt would have made me lose it completely. It's a wonder you're alive. I have read a lot of posts about why a person started taking pain killers, but yours was the most moving of any.

Please Take Care and keep posting...Hugs.....ST

Hey ST!! How are you today? Thank you so much for the awesome post! I absolutely love reading them. I am in day 1 of withdrawal right now and I don't even need to tell you what I'm going through. I prepared as much as I possibly could but nothing takes it all away. I am so happy to hear you are under such wonderful care. Your Doctor seems like an angel! And not all are. You are blessed.

I will keep you posted as well as you keep me posted. I know your taper seems like forever but it's being done right. I am so sorry you have to go through any sort of withdrawal... What a demon that can be. I'm also glad you won't have to go the methadone route as I read it's horrible to get off of however yours I believe was a very temporary wean. So I'm sure that's very different.

Okay... I have to rest my arms for a minute as I feel like they've been through a grinder vbut I will be back today... Please chat back!!

Hugz to you ST,

Baby Steps

Hey ST!! How are you today? Thank you so much for the awesome post! I absolutely love reading them. I am in day 1 of withdrawal right now and I don't even need to tell you what I'm going through. I prepared as much as I possibly could but nothing takes it all away. I am so happy to hear you are under such wonderful care. Your Doctor seems like an angel! And not all are. You are blessed.

I will keep you posted as well as you keep me posted. I know your taper seems like forever but it's being done right. I am so sorry you have to go through any sort of withdrawal... What a demon that can be. I'm also glad you won't have to go the methadone route as I read it's horrible to get off of however yours I believe was a very temporary wean. So I'm sure that's very different.

Okay... I have to rest my arms for a minute as I feel like they've been through a grinder vbut I will be back today... Please chat back!!

Hugz to you ST,

Baby Steps
    Hi Baby Steps,

As you can see, I still don't know how to reply without using the quote, which I don't need. lol

I want you to know I will be thinking of you while you're going through your withdrawal. Day 1 is the beginning and it shows how badly you want off the drugs. After all you have been through I admire you for taking this step. Your nickname says it all. Just take baby steps. If you run, you will fall down. Will you still be on something for pain?? It seems like you will surely need something.

WOW!! It just hit me. Day 1 is the beginning of you taking your life back. If you stumble along the way, it's ok because you can always start over. You're strong. It shows in your words, and just knowing the hell you went through is enough to convince me that you will make it. You're a true fighter.

I don't know what time it is where you live. It's 1:30 a m here. I guess I'll try the sleep thing. lol I hope you can rest tonight. Let me know how you do please. I'm cheering for you.

Hugs and prayers......night Baby Steps

nightsun is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by SilverTears View Post
    I'm going crazy trying to get off of these fentanyl transdermal patches. I don't have a problem with them sticking, but there are so many things I can't do. The print out from the pharmacy is really a small book on how dangerous they can be. As I said in my first post, I was never supposed to have been on fentanyl. My family doc nor my surgeon put me on them. I was in rehab for three months after four surgeries to remove the big bone in my upper arm and replace it with titanium, due to a malignant tumor in the middle of the bone. I was on a morphine pump while in the hospital, and from there I was supposed to switch to an oral pain med for a short time.

In rehab a nurse practitioner put a 100mcg patch on me and was kept on them for three months until I went home. I was totally unaware of how addictive and awful they can be. My family doc agreed to help me get off of them after I was on them a year. It wasn't a matter of switching to another pain med. because I no longer needed that.

So here I am. I have researched the fentanyl transdermal pain patch in depth. They are 45 times as strong as oral morphine. You can't be in the sun or let your body get hot in a shower or bath. (Like I love taking showers that are slightly warm.) If I accidently puncture the patch it can all empty into my body at once and cause me to OD. UGH!!

My doc makes a taper (which is hard to do with the patch) every three months. The first one from 100mcg to 75mcg wasn't bad. The second to50mcg wasn't as easy and I had some w/d. Three months later I went to a 25mcg plus a 12mcg and that's where I am now and I'm having some nast w/d. RLS is driving me nuts. Nausea, trouble sleeping, shaking, bones aching, brain zaps, anxiety, and depression.

There is a rapid detox my doc will try if I agree. I can take methadone for two weeks while wearing the patches I'm on now, then take them off and stay on methadone for another week. It sounds good but I'm afraid. I'm at the point where I have nothing to lose, so I might try it.

Thanks for letting me vent.
    Good Luck and Take Care.....ST
    Having been though the same problem, I would say only this - the methadone is not just a walk away medication. It is highly addictive and the withdrawal symptons are bad.

I was on the duragesic/fentanyl patch and had a lot of problems with it wearing off too quickly and the Dr that put me on that suggested the same thing, (the patch plus methadone), I've not been able to get off methadone for nearly two years and am now suffering from severe depression.

The best advice I got was from a girl that had been in an accident and had to deal with the patches. Once you get the generic brand patch that doesn't have the liquid in it, you can cut them down and decrease the dosage yourself. THIS IS FROWNED ON BY MEDICAL "EXPERTS", but it is the safest way to get off the patch. It may take a long time, but you do it gradually, not as drastic as 12mcg at a time.

I wish I had done that instead of going to methadone.

I have a high tolerance for pain but a low threshold for withdrawal symptoms and I don't know if insurance covers the drug (naltrexone) or treatment that is used to get people off methadone.

Good luck.

starlyte is offline New Member

All active drugs, especially opiods, when abused are potentially lethal. It is stupid to pick out Methadone as a killer, and for personal reason more so, when it is a product that is very useful as a substitution treatment in opiate addiction, and a very useful pain treatment. If used correctly it is no more dangerous than any drug with a similar potency.
    In my opinion, from my experience with both Fentanyl and Methadone, the latter would be a good substitution treatment, if prescribed by a PROFFESSIONAL with experience in its use. I must admit that I can't see the point of taking both Fentanyl and Methadone, and only stopping the Fentanyl for 1 week before stopping the Methadone. The severage syndrome with Fentanyl is much longer, by 10 to 12 weeks than that. Personally I'd be tented to go on to Methadone as a substitution for the Fentanyl, and reduce the Methadone once you have the Fentanyl out of your system. Fentanyl is a very difficult product to stop, after a long period of dependance, as yours is. The w/d symptoms can be long lasting and very unpleasant. Methadone too, but it is easy to base the dose by small steps, at the speed that suits you, and eventually when you get down to a low dose, e.g. 5mg, you could try the method Oriental.
    In the Orient they reduce an opiate by putting, say 10 doses in a bottle, and each day you take a tenth of the bottle, and replace it with water. Hence after 10 days you are taking only the water, or a very low amount, easily missed, and stopped without serious w/d. This works very well to get off the last 5mg of Methadone, which is often the most difficult part.
    Good luck, which ever method you choose. Oh, yes, do try to time it for Summer, as cold weather is no help