Meth - Sub Question for Robert
    LadayBrownEyez is offline New Member

Question Meth - Sub Question for Robert

Hi Robert,
    I would much appreciate your input on my situation. I have been on Methadone for almost two years now (December 22, 2010 will be two years). In July of this year, I started tapering my dose down from 140 mg slowly, and I am now down to 60 mg. For the record, I feel real bad. I felt okay and pushed through it until I recently hit 60 mg, and now I'm feeling like hell. Anyways, I had been on Suboxone before and had success with it, but Medicaid kicked me off of the program due to my income being too high, and I could not afford the Doctor's visits and the cost of the pills, so I went to Methadone. The closest clinic is 35 miles away, which equals an hour and a half to two hour drive every day. I lost my license in September, and although I have my Attorney working on it, he's about as fast as molasses uphill and has no concern or idea what this is like. Anyways, my fault not his.

My ride is getting fed up with taking me there everyday, which is understandable. And there is no chance of take-homes when detoxing. I want out of that place and on Suboxone as soon as possible. My Mother said she will help me with the cost of Suboxone if I need it, but I am back on Medicaid so they will cover it. My question is, is there any chance I can jump from 60 mg onto Suboxone? I know I have to wait several days, that's understandable. I'd be willing to wait however long I need to. I really want to find a Doctor who will just write me the script so you can induce me as well, cause last time although Suboxone was somewhat helpful, the Doctor started me on 16 mg a day, did not induce me correctly, and I went through withdrawal for two weeks, more than mild. Thanks for your help.

LadayBrownEyez
    Last edited by ddcmod; 10-20-2010 at 01:32 PM.

newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

I would not try to switch to sub from 60 mgs. methadone. 30 mgs. is the amount recommended for making the switch. Then wait til you hit 26 on a COWS worksheet which is a few days taking nothing. Methadone is the hardest of all drugs to make the switch from or to get off of in any way, but tapering to 30 mgs. would definitely give you a much better shot. I tapered from 80 to 25 then made the switch and I went with nothing for 72 hours before induction. This after being on methadone 30+ years straight, so it is doable. You should be able to taper from 60 to 30 in 4-6 weeks. Hope the rides holds on and you can do this. It will make things easier. Bestt of luck.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by LadayBrownEyez View Post
    Hi Robert,
    I would much appreciate your input on my situation. I have been on Methadone for almost two years now (December 22, 2010 will be two years). In July of this year, I started tapering my dose down from 140 mg slowly, and I am now down to 60 mg. For the record, I feel real bad. I felt okay and pushed through it until I recently hit 60 mg, and now I'm feeling like hell. Anyways, I had been on Suboxone before and had success with it, but Medicaid kicked me off of the program due to my income being too high, and I could not afford the Doctor's visits and the cost of the pills, so I went to Methadone. The closest clinic is 35 miles away, which equals an hour and a half to two hour drive every day. I lost my license in September, and although I have my Attorney working on it, he's about as fast as molasses uphill and has no concern or idea what this is like. Anyways, my fault not his.

My ride is getting fed up with taking me there everyday, which is understandable. And there is no chance of take-homes when detoxing. I want out of that place and on Suboxone as soon as possible. My Mother said she will help me with the cost of Suboxone if I need it, but I am back on Medicaid so they will cover it. My question is, is there any chance I can jump from 60 mg onto Suboxone? I know I have to wait several days, that's understandable. I'd be willing to wait however long I need to. I really want to find a Doctor who will just write me the script so you can induce me as well, cause last time although Suboxone was somewhat helpful, the Doctor started me on 16 mg a day, did not induce me correctly, and I went through withdrawal for two weeks, more than mild. Thanks for your help.

LadayBrownEyez

I agree with previous post. You need to be at 30mg of methadone or less to make the switch to subs. As soon as you get close make a dr appt with sub dr and let me know. I'll be happy to help you.

Jumping over to subs at your current dose is not impossible but it's very hard to do without making you have a really difficult time in the process. It's NOT what I suggest you do at all. You're setting yourself up to be sick, at way too high of a dose, it's just not the way to go. Stay in touch when I can help you. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.