From Lortabs to Neurontin??
    nekoinu is offline New Member

Default From Lortabs to Neurontin??

Hello,
    I had surgery at the end of March 2004 to have a lung removed through my back due to a malignant tumor. I had been taking Lortab 7.5mg for the aches and pain since then, 2 tablets, 3 times a day. Well, today, my doctor wanted me to stop taking the Lortab and prescribed me Neurontin instead, even though the Lortab was working fine. After I got home with my new prescription, I started reading about all this horrific information on this particular drug,including the sexual side effects (which would be really bad since I am newlywed only since December) the psychotic episodes, dizziness, depression etc. I was just wondering if anyone would know why a doctor would want to take me from being on Lortab which was working perfectly fine for me to putting me on this drug that seems to be prescribed mostly alongside anti-depression medication and seizure medication?? And another question is why are doctors so skittish about prescribing narcotic pain meds for people like myself who obviously benefit from it? Is it possible to talk to another doctor and explain my situation to them? I mean, I am quite obviously not faking the pain from the 16 inch incision made just under the shoulder blade on the right side of my back! It has been less than 2 months since I had the surgery and I honestly don't think I am totally healed up yet. Any responses or advice would be much appreciated Thanks!
    PS If I do indeed start taking Neurontin and stop taking the Lortab completely, will I have to worry about withdrawls? and if so, shouldn't the doctor have known about this? Sorry to be asking so many questions, I am just a bit concerned about all of this....sometimes doctors can be so frustrating!

Locus is offline New Member

Well, I don't know about anything else, but if you were taking the lortabs everyday since march then I think you're going to have withdrawals. I don't know how severe, but I think you'll have some degree of withdrawals. I'm sure someone else from the forum will help out with this though. Hope all goes well.

Sundancer is offline New Member

I think the reason your dr. took you off lortab was because of the possibility of addiction. I know that the dr.s where I live would of taken you off sooner. Neurontin is a seizure medication, "low on the totum pole" as I was told, and yes the side effects are scary. I would talk to the dr. who originally put you on the lortabs and ask why they switched you, and why to neurontin. If you don't get the answers you are looking for from your dr. then I would go see a different one. You have a valid reason for taking lortabs. Good luck to you.

maltesers is offline New Member

Like you, just today my doctor added Neurontin to my meds. But he told me to take one 3 times a day in addition to the Lortab 7.5 I have been on for about 3 months. Before that i was on vicodin, but after a while was experiencing 'breakthrough pain'. I have 3 bulging discs, and 2 lumbars that need fusion, all of which requires drastic surgery which my neurosurgeon thinks i would not tolerate well, as well as other risks. (heart by pass, stroke, and diabetic). Quite frankly, i'm prepared for any side effect the Neurontin might give me, just the chance of a few hours free of pain would be worth it. My doctor said it was given for seizures etc., but also for pain, explaining that it blocks the nerves in my back. I would be happy to share my experience with this drug and would be interested in others opinion of it.
    Maltesers

ljosey is offline New Member

I have been taking Neurontin off and on for five years. I started taking it after my doc took me off of narcotic pain meds after a four level spinal fusion because my doc was concerned about being addicted to Lortab after 18 months of use. The reason docs prescribe Neurontin after extended narcotic use is that Neurontin is very effective at reducing withdrawal symptoms from opiates and can usually effectively control pain. If you are two months post-op you really shouldn't need a heavy hitter such as Lortab. Your doc should be concerned if you are still in that much pain. Ask him about using an alternative such as Ultram along with the Neurontin. By the way, I am also a nurse in a pain consultant office (not a chiropratic practice, real M.D.'s) and know the routine. Hope this helps!

ExoticChaos is offline New Member

Please be aware though that Ultram/tramadol is also addictive. I was on ultram for about 5 months and my doctor suddenly took me off of it. This is when the drug first came out. He wasn't even aware that it was addictive. The withdrawal symptoms from Ultram are even worse than from a narcotic like lortabs. Trust me I have experienced both. He had to put me back on the ultram and slowly decrease the dosage until I didn't experience withdrawals.

I don't know anything about neurontin but hear it does have alot of side effects. Trust your instinct and talk to your doctor if you feel uncomfortable with it. I agree with the others, if he/she doesn't listen, find a doctor who will.

sharjer is offline New Member

Please be careful with Neurontin. Look it up on this website & see that there is a class action lawsuit pending. A friend of mine was put on it & now is in a rehab hospital for the pain it is causing her. I was put on it for tremors & they are now worse.

anna is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by nekoinu

Hello,
    I had surgery at the end of March 2004 to have a lung removed through my back due to a malignant tumor. I had been taking Lortab 7.5mg for the aches and pain since then, 2 tablets, 3 times a day. Well, today, my doctor wanted me to stop taking the Lortab and prescribed me Neurontin instead, even though the Lortab was working fine. After I got home with my new prescription, I started reading about all this horrific information on this particular drug,including the sexual side effects (which would be really bad since I am newlywed only since December) the psychotic episodes, dizziness, depression etc. I was just wondering if anyone would know why a doctor would want to take me from being on Lortab which was working perfectly fine for me to putting me on this drug that seems to be prescribed mostly alongside anti-depression medication and seizure medication?? And another question is why are doctors so skittish about prescribing narcotic pain meds for people like myself who obviously benefit from it? Is it possible to talk to another doctor and explain my situation to them? I mean, I am quite obviously not faking the pain from the 16 inch incision made just under the shoulder blade on the right side of my back! It has been less than 2 months since I had the surgery and I honestly don't think I am totally healed up yet. Any responses or advice would be much appreciated Thanks!
    PS If I do indeed start taking Neurontin and stop taking the Lortab completely, will I have to worry about withdrawls? and if so, shouldn't the doctor have known about this? Sorry to be asking so many questions, I am just a bit concerned about all of this....sometimes doctors can be so frustrating!

beckode2 is offline New Member

September 11, 2004

I understand what all of you are going through. I have a degenerative disc [L5 S1] that only reacts to opiates or strong steroidal injections. I am only 21 years old but have the back of a 40 year old. I have been to so many doctors showing them all of my films and MRI's which clearly show that my back is degenerating. I have gone to the ER multiple times with pain so bad that I could not even move. Every doctor that I go to tells me the same thing..."Well, physical therapy should help and be sure to do your strecthes 4 times a day!" I'll tell you what, after one Oxycontin I have no back pain for 24 hours. That's all it takes! I realize that it is nearly impossible to geth any narcotic pain reliever in the states because the MD's are so afraid of the DEA. My logic is...if you are addicted to a narcotic pain killer and can live a normal life with no side effects than why give the people who need it so badly such a hard time? I'm honestly thinking about taking a flight to San Diego, crossing the birder, and getting what I need so that I can live a happy, healthy life.
    -Thomas
    email: btmcharlotte@hotmaol.com

shhitsrobbie is offline New Member

Hello, I am only 22 years old, in the last three years I have had two kidney surgeries, and I also suffer from two slipped discs in my back, one of which is pinching my psyotic nerve, and causes alot of back and leg pain. I get a prescription for five lortab 10/500 a day, and also take klonopin 10 mg three times a day, and neurontin, and the neurontin has helped since prescribed, the pain meds help too, but if you are like me, I am NEVER free from pain, but if thats what you want, seek a pain management dr. They are more understanding, and they will help you if you have the medical documents to prove whats wrong with you.

LADYRET is offline New Member

I am a retired nurse and worked in nursing for 30 years. I have also taken Neurontin in the past for a ruptured disk and sciatic pain. It was the only thing at the time that helped me.I do take Lortab5/500 1/2 tab at night, but thats all. The only side effect I had from the Neurontin was fatigue. I started reading up and researching alternative meds and began taking Co-Q-10 200 mg. daily. It takes about 30 days to really get into your system, but I seldom have back or leg pain any more and I get out and walk daily.The doctor took you off of Lotab because it is an addictive drug. I question the fact that he took you off cold turkey. You should never abruptly stop any narcotic or immune suppressing drug.You need to be tapered off of it slowly. I think a pain management doctor would be your best bet.

Donna

tdoodlez is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by nekoinu

Hello,

tdoodlez is offline New Member

I have been on Neurontin for about 5 years (1600 mg/day)—having also been on Lortab previously. First, let me be (apparently) the only one crediting Neurontin for probably saving my life. I survived a malignant spinal cord astrocytoma, which, along with surgery and radiation, did a lot of damage. Years of narcotic analgesics left me dopey and exhausted. The Lortab worked well for a while, then less so. My dr. told my that the problem was that along with the adiction/withdrawal problem, the Lortab over time would become less effective requiring ever-increasing doses—as is true of most narcotics. He switched me to Neurotin.
    It did not eliminate the pain but did make it manageable. I've been on it, as I said, for years, and am grateful for it. I've heard of many side-effects, none of which I've had to endure (it gave my mother, while battling cancer, terrible nightmares).
    So, mine is one vote in favor of the Neurontin in that it allows me to manage my life better with less pain and more brain (it's only a coincidence that that rhymes!).
    If you can take it without side effects, go for it, until a better drug for chronic pain comes along.
    Rickcampbell33@yahoo.com

amishgirl36 is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by sharjer

Please be careful with Neurontin. Look it up on this website & see that there is a class action lawsuit pending. A friend of mine was put on it & now is in a rehab hospital for the pain it is causing her. I was put on it for tremors & they are now worse.
    I have been taking Neurontin for 5 yrs now for Fibromyalgia. Depends on the dose the doctor puts you on. I am only on 200 mg/ day. I get NO side effects. And trust me, I usually get side effects from everything!- I am also a nurse. along with neurontin, I take ultracet, Only on the days when the pain is severe, NOT everyday, and I usually only have to take a half of an ultracet to break the fibro flare up. Nuerontin is safe, but dont use excessive doses.- some people i know are on 1200 mg/ day!- WAy too much- of course you will get side effects. Start at a low dose till your body adjusts. Lortab is the same thing as vicodin- Same ingredients, Highly addictive as well- and of course opiate derivative.

kathyharr is offline Junior Member

Hi nekoinu...if you are still in pain then call your doctor and tell him, IT IS HIS JOB TO HELP YOU!!!!.My husband was on Lortab 7.5 and Neurontin 800mg. He and I know that his sexual drive is not up to par,if you get my meaning. We are ditching the Neuronin!
    I was on Neuronin 600mg for depressing and pain. I didn't find it much helpful either. I stop taking it with no WD's.
    Good Luck to you. Read my post "Pain Clinic's Closing".

Hope you fell better soon!!!
    Thanks Kathy

kathyharr is offline Junior Member

oops..feel better soon...LOL[8)]

ChgoSurfer is offline New Member

I began taking Neurontin almost a year ago for nerve pain deriving from cervical radiculopathy which affects my arms, shoulders and back and post-polio neuropathy in my lumbar spine, for which neurosurgery had thus far been contraindicated because I have full function of my extremities. I was taking hydromorphone 2 mgs 8 times a day, then went off of it in favor of oxycodone, 15 mgs five time a day. Since serotonin and pain share the same neural pathways I also take 100 mgs of Zoloft a day. The radiculopathy and opiod management began when I was in my last year of business school and it certainly didn't help me when I probably needed it the most. Fortunately when I became ill I had access to one of Chicago's top neurologists and physicians at Northwestern University who recognize that opiods are extremely beneficial for daily debilitating pain; soon thereafter, my neurologist, who teamed up with me to find the optimal palliative treatment plan, suggested Neurontin in very large doses. He told me that it had dramatically helped two of his patients who suffer from diabetic neuropathy and it sounded encouraging because he said Neurontin was not a controlled substance. Please let me state here that the DEA does indeed make it terribly difficult for responsible, enlightened, compassionate physicians to properly treat their patients with opiods: only 5% of all chronic pain patients become addicted to their pain meds according to "A Life Without Pain," an NY Times Sunday Magazine cover story which sheds important light on the traditional undertreatment of pain and how that is changing in medical schools today. Opiods are a Godsend for people like me with spinal cord pain. But Neurontin's potential to help me (I would try ANYTHING for a life without this pain) had me very excited and I began straight away with 800 mgs. four times a day. I was a zombie--bumping into things, and then I began developing irregular sleep patterns. I am a practicing Roman catholic, highly educated and basically a very happy, optimistic person by nature who has always believed that suicide is self-murder and the ultimate mortal sin. However, soon after I began taking Neurontin (gabapentin) I began experiencing morbid thoughts about what my own death would be like, when it would happen--I was even visiting death.com in order to read obituaries. Not me! I was also nauseous at times to the point that I would HAVE to lay down. Disoriented, too. When I had asked my doctor about Neurontin's side-effects, he handed me the product insert from a sample and said: "here, read this--I don't know that much about it really." So I was something of a guinea pig. After four months I asked to bail on it but he reduced the dosage to 1200 a day. Two months ago my right eye began darting to the right and I was still experiencing fleeting upsetting feelings. Then I stopped the regimen and only took perhaps two half-tabs a day. When these changes were made I began to feel vaguely dysphoric and weak, as if I were detoxing from an opiod. It took me awhile to make the connection, attributing it to opiods. Now I have sworn if off. I am unfortunately distracted by coincidental climbing nerve pain but I think I feel better without it. In Europe, Neurontin is being called the "Swiss Army Knife of Neurosurgery" and the approved applications are many. American doctors are prescribing it now with some zeal for off-label management of chronic pain, migraines, etc., but there is a lot of misinformation in their community. It is also referred to as a "nerve nourisher." Taking it is a serious tumble of the dice ... the jury is still out on this stuff ... good luck!

alkisses is offline Banned

i know this is an old post, but whats ultram and really what does it do? some say its a narcotic, some say it isnt? was is it comparable too? is it comparable to any narcotic? or?
    can it react with 75mgs a day of effexor?
    right now, i take darvon-n 100 mgs. twice a day, usually 6-7 hours apart, (the doc, tells me to take 4 a day but i havent as im a little cautious) what i want to know is, would taking one pill of ultram(50mgs) hurt in anyway? like if i didnt take darvon for a day?

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Ultram,Tramadol ect are all the same.They just became available here in Canada this year.They are not considered a narcotic opiate but it does effect the opiate receptors in the brain.There are all kinds of cases in the States that show that indeed people do get addicted to Ultram.There is also the risk of siezures.They are equivilent to Tylenol 3 and I know this because my wife had a prescription for it and in the info that came with the Ultram it said they are =to T3's in pain killing strength.If I were you I would stay away from them,I haven't heard anything good about them....Dave

chad5749 is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by sharjer

I understand this is slightly off topic, however it is somewhat related to my experience with Neurontin. I was first prescribed Neurontin for treatment of my Bipolar Disorder when the drug first came out on the market. I did at that time not have the Chronic Pain which I now suffer. I first began Neurontin in small dosages, when I first began taking Neurontin, I was a patient of a Psychiatric Ward in a Medical Hospital. I recall beginning taking Neurontin in a capsule form. As the drug became available in higher doses I was switched from one strength to the newer strength. I believe I began taking Neurontin in or about year 2000. I had no pain at that time. I did not even hear of the lawsuit until year 2005. I do know that during the two year period I was prescribed and taking Neurontin for my Bipolar disorder, I was Urinary Incontinant at any time I was asleep. I could not even take a short nap without an 'accident' being loss of my bladder control. I was in my mid twenty's wearing Depend Undergarments every time I went to sleep. I was on many other medications along with Neurontin. I do not know for sure that the Neurontin was the direct result of my loss of bladder control. I began taking a drug called DDAVP at a dose of three 2mg or .2mg tablets half hour before sleep and that helped with the loss of bladder control. I was then after aprox. 2 years taken off the Neurontin and I regained the control of my bladder. I am not any longer on DDAVP and have not had the problem since the discontinuation of Neurontin.

The problem since that time with the bone spurs and bulging discs on my cervical spine resulting now with current cervical spinal stenosis which I have been to a Neourosurgeon who says due to my morbid obesity and other health risks am not at a healthy enough state to have the disectomy of the C4-C5 and C-6 C-7 discs of my Cervical Spine which has progressed to Stenosis causing me to be in constant pain, even though I am currently taking Morphine Sulfate 100mg time released tablets (generic for MS Contin) two times a day, as well as Oxycodone HCL 15mg tablets (generic for Roxicodone) one or two every 4-6 hours for 'breakthrough' pain with a max of 5-tablets a day, as well as Baclofen one-half 10mg tablet 3 times per day. I am always in pain even with the pain medications and the trauma and past history of the Neurontin has me too cautious of taking the drug now, for pain control. I simply can not stand the thoughts of loosing control of my bladder again. Just wanted to add my story of Neurontin and its effects on me, although I have not taken it for pain.

~º~chad~º~