Lithium and Alcohol
    msfroggrl73 is offline New Member

Default Lithium and Alcohol

I had an incident this weekend where I had a few drinks of wine while taking my lithium, blacked out and crashed my car. Thank God I didnt kill anyone. I feel more depressed than ever and my doctor wont change my medication. I feel so depressed I totaled my car and have no car as of this moment and cant get to work, I'm out of work for a couple of days. I feel horrible that I woke up in the emergency room not knowing a damn thing that happpened! This has happened to me a few times. Why does this happen? I so feel lost and confused.

SilverTears is offline Junior Member

[quote]Originally posted by msfroggrl73

I had an incident this weekend where I had a few drinks of wine while taking my lithium, blacked out and crashed my car. Thank God I didnt kill anyone. I feel more depressed than ever and my doctor wont change my medication. I feel so depressed I totaled my car and have no car as of this moment and cant get to work, I'm out of work for a couple of days. I feel horrible that I woke up in the emergency room not knowing a damn thing that happpened! This has happened to me a few times. Why does this happen? I so feel lost and confused.

I'm sorry about your accident, but glad you didn't get hurt any worse than you did. I don't know a lot about lithium, but it might be a drug you just can't drink with. I can't drink with my meds. To wake up in the ER not knowing what had happened would be very scarey.

I wish I could tell you why this happened, but I can't. Feeling lost and confused is a hard road to go down, and I have felt that way before when I started on the fentanyl patches.

I wish you peace and health,
    ST

ruffcutt is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by msfroggrl73

Just read about your bad experiences with Lithium and thought I'd put in my 2cents. I've been taking Lithium for about 6yrs.now and I've had a drinking problem for alot longer. If you don't want to wake up in the ER again, or maybe even jail next time, I would suggest not drinking at all,not even just a few drinks. It wouldn't even do anygood to just NOT take your meds for a day or 2, and then drink because Lithium stays in your system for a long time. It could take weeks of taking NOTHING before the Lithium would really be completely gone, and really safe to drink. Believe me, I have no room to preach at you because most of my bad experiences with Lithium go way beyond car accidents and blackouts, I quit driving way before I ever started taking it, THANK GOD! I also take Wellbutrin and Seroquel, and trust me, you really shouldn't drink at all while you're on any of these types of medications,it's just not safe to. Especially the ones that are like Litium (Depakote, Tegretol, Abilify,etc.) they're all very dangerous to combine alcohol with and to my knowledge there isn't ANYKIND in particular that is ok to drink on. Please be very careful, and if let me know if I can help.

RFCT

kwelk310 is offline New Member

Default Lithium vs. Alcohol

I have a friend who got a DUI and is on Lithium. His BAC was at .08 which is the limit. Can Lithium increase his BAC? Never been through this so concerned that he may do jail time.

Quote Originally Posted by ruffcutt View Post
    Just read about your bad experiences with Lithium and thought I'd put in my 2cents. I've been taking Lithium for about 6yrs.now and I've had a drinking problem for alot longer. If you don't want to wake up in the ER again, or maybe even jail next time, I would suggest not drinking at all,not even just a few drinks. It wouldn't even do anygood to just NOT take your meds for a day or 2, and then drink because Lithium stays in your system for a long time. It could take weeks of taking NOTHING before the Lithium would really be completely gone, and really safe to drink. Believe me, I have no room to preach at you because most of my bad experiences with Lithium go way beyond car accidents and blackouts, I quit driving way before I ever started taking it, THANK GOD! I also take Wellbutrin and Seroquel, and trust me, you really shouldn't drink at all while you're on any of these types of medications,it's just not safe to. Especially the ones that are like Litium (Depakote, Tegretol, Abilify,etc.) they're all very dangerous to combine alcohol with and to my knowledge there isn't ANYKIND in particular that is ok to drink on. Please be very careful, and if let me know if I can help.

RFCT