Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Generic Duragesic patch
    stingray is offline Junior Member

Default Generic Duragesic patch

U.S. Clears Mylan's Generic Rival to J&J Pain Patch
    Fri Jan 28, 2005 05:51 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - U.S. regulators approved the first generic rival to Johnson & Johnson's Duragesic pain relief skin patch, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said on Friday.
    Mylan Laboratories Inc. said it will produce several different strengths of the patch, known generically as the fentanyl transdermal system, and launch the product immediately.

Johnson & Johnson's annual sales of the patch total about $1.63 billion.

Mylan, the biggest U.S. maker of generic drugs, had hoped to launch its copycat version last year, but the FDA granted J&J an additional six months of market exclusivity in return for testing the drug's safety and effectiveness in children.

Shares of Mylan, which fell 4 cents to close at $16.60 on the New York Stock Exchange, were higher at $17 after hours. Shares of J&J, which rose 40 cents to close at $64.62, were little changed after hours. (Additional reporting by Deena Beasley in Los Angeles)

jennavive is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by stingray

U.S. Clears Mylan's Generic Rival to J&J Pain Patch
    Fri Jan 28, 2005 05:51 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - U.S. regulators approved the first generic rival to Johnson & Johnson's Duragesic pain relief skin patch, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said on Friday.
    Mylan Laboratories Inc. said it will produce several different strengths of the patch, known generically as the fentanyl transdermal system, and launch the product immediately.

Johnson & Johnson's annual sales of the patch total about $1.63 billion.

Mylan, the biggest U.S. maker of generic drugs, had hoped to launch its copycat version last year, but the FDA granted J&J an additional six months of market exclusivity in return for testing the drug's safety and effectiveness in children.

Shares of Mylan, which fell 4 cents to close at $16.60 on the New York Stock Exchange, were higher at $17 after hours. Shares of J&J, which rose 40 cents to close at $64.62, were little changed after hours. (Additional reporting by Deena Beasley in Los Angeles)

jennavive is offline New Member

Has anyone had experience using this?

I got an RX yesterday and noticed that the fentanyl in the new patch is solid (the way other patches are). In the old one, there was an actual resevior in it and it moved around.

I awoke today feeling kinda sweaty and withdrawal-y after applying the new patch 24 hrs ago-- I'm not sure if it works as well. It IS smaller, and I know the old patch's strength was based uypon how large of an area the patch covered.

Anyone else have an experience??

spercy is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by jennavive

I got an RX yesterday and noticed that the fentanyl in the new patch is solid (the way other patches are). In the old one, there was an actual resevior in it and it moved around.

I awoke today feeling kinda sweaty and withdrawal-y after applying the new patch 24 hrs ago-- I'm not sure if it works as well. It IS smaller, and I know the old patch's strength was based uypon how large of an area the patch covered.

spercy is offline New Member

Hi Jennavive,

My wife also uses the Fentanyl patch and just got the new generic version. She was so excited that it was smaller, but is having the same problems as you. It is not working for the pain and they also come off very easy when exposed to water. She is returning to her Doctor today for his evaluation. I will post his comments tomorrow.

Scott

dutchgirl is offline New Member

Hi Jennavive & Scott!

I picked up my RX today and was quite surprised. I get two strengths of the patches (50 & 100) and received the Duragesic 100's (thank God!) and the Mylan in the 50's. I couldn't believe it when I opened the 50's! I am quite nervous about it's effectiveness, even though the pharmacist assured me they are the same. I have received generic before, by Sandoz, except they are just like the Duragesic (a little more flimsy and not as sticky). I prefer the brand, but the price makes me HOPE that the Mylan will work well.

Jennavive, after 24 hours the patch should be working full strength. Please let me know how you did days after, and how your pain has been!

Scott, please let me know how your wife did on the Mylan.

I truly appreciate any and all input on this subject!

Thanks a bunch

Mary Helen

md2003 is offline New Member

I just went for my generic, and it was SANDOZ...and not only does itlook the same, but so far it works the same, and I'm pleased with the $130.00 discount. My Dr. said there should be a geniric that you are able to cut in half, thereby able to wean yourself off slowly.does, or has any one seen or used a patch that you can cut in half?....I have a feeling it's the solid one, but who is the munufacturer of the solid one. I only know of 2 MYLAN, which is not what I recieved, and SANDOZ which idid recieve from LONG's Drugs . Are there any other generic'c's I'm not aware of?

dutchgirl is offline New Member

The solid one is made by Mylan. This is the new one I got this week. I have used the Sandoz already (I prefer brand, it seems to be better quality - just my opinion). I don't like the Mylan either. It is VERY small compared to the same dose of the brand & Sandoz (less than half the size!). I imagine you could cut it in half since there is no reserve, but you'd have to check with the pharmacist or doctor.

I am still waiting for someone who has used the Mylan to write. I am afraid to take a regular shower with it on (I just use the shower head and work around it). Also, with the Sandoz, when I showered it seemed to get condensation under the patch (another reason I prefer brand - even though there is a $50 difference in insurance co-pays). I have received covers to go over the patches from Jansen that work really well. Once I receive my new box I will try it over the other patches and see how it works - and let you know....

MH

herbiejr is offline New Member

Hi,
    I have been on the Mylan generic for 2 weeks now and I think I prefer this to the name brand. They are smaller, they stick better and you are sure to get most of the medication. The trick is to be sure to apply 1 minute of pressure to the patch.

Lynxspirit is offline New Member

I just started the Duragesic patches about a month and a half ago instead of Percocet, and did not have a problem with using them other than inadequate pain relief. My doctor increased them from 25 to 50 after a couple weeks and, even though I am uneasy at using this strong a pain killer continuously for fear of developing a tolerance I am going to discuss another increase, from 50 to 75, at our next appointment in a few weeks. However, when I filled my last prescription last week, I got the generic (Sandoz) instead of the brand and they will not remain stuck. Whenever I sweat they come off, with no warning, and within a matter of hours of applying them. In a little over a week I have applied 7 patches, but have not had any one of them on for even half a day. I am following the instructions in the insert, which states to apply a new patch to replace one that comes off too soon. I have left 2 messages for my doctor since last week, but have gotten no response. She is only in 2 days a week, but I should have heard something by now. I believe she is either not getting the messages or I am not getting her response because she is good about answering all my concerns and this has happened before, several times, when the message or response was not recieved, but had been noted in my chart. I tried putting one of the patches that fell off back on with surgical tape, but apparently it had gotten damaged, even though I couldn't see any obvious holes, tears or folds because I suddenly became very sedated, disoriented and started going off into these "dreamscapes" shortly after re-applying it. I immediately removed it and I am afraid to try re-applying another patch that has come off again. The worst part is that I have a cat, one that frequently eats inedible things, and plastic is his favorite. I have 2 of the 7 patches still unaccounted for, and I have strained myself severely trying to find them out of fear of them killing my cat. I am now in much pain, and I am looking at over 2 weeks with no relief since this was a month's supply. I am going to contact my doctor's office again this morning and leave another message, but I am afraid to ask for anything else for fear of being thought of as "drug-seeking". I did not have this problem with the Duragesic brand or, for that matter with any adhesive patches, including those with my TENS unit. The brand name seemed to stay on until they were empty and even then I would feel them starting to unstick. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem and if anyone has a suggestion on how to keep them on or what I should do.

Hey people, I've read over and over again about the patch not sticking, or coming off in the shower etc, etc. If you have ever been on the original duragesic, all you need is call them and they will refer you to JOHNSON AND JOHNSON BIOCLUSIVE, which is a transparent dressing/tape that goes over the patch to prevent it from all of the above. It is also free. When I was in the hospital, and the nurse applied the patch on my arm, she even used BIOCLUSIVE ON TOP OF THE PATCH. Johnson&Johnson are behind the original Duragesic, therefore they supply the transparent/ hypoallergenic/viral barrier that goes along with thier product(Duragesic). All one need's to do is call and ask 1-800-817-1916 or 1-800-526-7736. I believe the 817 number is the latest.
    You can also go to www.duragesic.com, if I remember right. They will only supply you with #2463 which is 4 inches by 5 inches, but they are easily cut to suit your desire. You are also able to write(which i do, the date and time when applied, using a permanent marker and it doesn't wash off either. I actually thought everyone using these things, were also using the the tape(BIOCLUSIVE)too.
    Anyway, just call, as I said, they are free, and come in packs of 50. Good Luck, and stop applying these things without some sort of MOISTURE VAPOR PERMEABLE/ HYPOALLERGENIC/VIRAL BARRIER.........I'm just typing exactly what it say's on the packaging

md2003

See md2003, in reference to patches not sticking

StevenDD is offline New Member

Steven D.Dickson

quote:Originally posted by spercy

Steven D.Dickson

[quote]Originally posted by spercy

[quote]Originally posted by jennavive

Hello, yes l`ve been on the Duragesic for a year now and l`m at the end of my 2rd week on the Mylan Generic and it`s not as effective for my pain and l barely make it thru the 2nd day and forget the 3rd day.l`m going to have to go back to my doctor a week early because it`s just not hanging in there long enough.l like the Brand much better.

Steven D.Dickson

Andy P is offline New Member

I have used the Duragesic patches for several years. I recently received the new Mylan fentanyl patches, and I have to say that I absolutely LOVE them. I find they stick much better than the Duragesic, as long as you follow the instructions! I have not tried the Sandoz, and will choose not to. I have had all of the same problems (and more!) with the Duragesic, that others here are having with the Sandoz brand. In my experience, the Duragesic patches have never been worth much on the third day, no matter how much I babied them. The effectiveness of the adhesive can vary widely from batch to batch, although they have been more consistent for the last few years. Despite following the instructions to the letter, there were several months at a time that I had to try everything short of super-glue to make them stick, including the Biohesive dressing that Jannsen sent me. The additional dressing made my skin sweat even more, rendering the patch adhesive completely useless, which resulted in the whole mess falling off my body, all by itself. After TEN+ years of these headaches, the new Mylan patch seems like a Godsend! Although, it clearly has it's own bag of tricks. I too initially felt that the medicine wasn't absorbing as well. However, that feeling only happened the first couple of days, and it wasn't a major factor for me. I simply took a dose of breakthrough medication, and it was fine. I have found that the Mylan patch is more sensitive to heat fluctuation - both hot and cold - than the Duragesic. In fact, once while sitting in a hot tub, I realized I was getting buzzed - something that has never happened to me with Duragesic. I took it off immediately, and reapplied a new one when I cooled off. I have since taken more care to place the patch on my upper body if I am going to be in the hot tub, and the problem hasn't recurred. For me, it is a small price to pay for the convenience of a much smaller patch. One that works effectively, and that adheres much better; One that doesn't leave a giant red billboard of raw skin in it's wake, and is ultimately more comfortable, and less noticeable to others.

quote:Originally posted by md2003

Hey people, I've read over and over again about the patch not sticking, or coming off in the shower etc, etc. If you have ever been on the original duragesic, all you need is call them and they will refer you to JOHNSON AND JOHNSON BIOCLUSIVE, which is a transparent dressing/tape that goes over the patch to prevent it from all of the above. It is also free. When I was in the hospital, and the nurse applied the patch on my arm, she even used BIOCLUSIVE ON TOP OF THE PATCH. Johnson&Johnson are behind the original Duragesic, therefore they supply the transparent/ hypoallergenic/viral barrier that goes along with thier product(Duragesic). All one need's to do is call and ask 1-800-817-1916 or 1-800-526-7736. I believe the 817 number is the latest.
    You can also go to www.duragesic.com, if I remember right. They will only supply you with #2463 which is 4 inches by 5 inches, but they are easily cut to suit your desire. You are also able to write(which i do, the date and time when applied, using a permanent marker and it doesn't wash off either. I actually thought everyone using these things, were also using the the tape(BIOCLUSIVE)too.
    Anyway, just call, as I said, they are free, and come in packs of 50. Good Luck, and stop applying these things without some sort of MOISTURE VAPOR PERMEABLE/ HYPOALLERGENIC/VIRAL BARRIER.........I'm just typing exactly what it say's on the packaging

md2003
    SD

[quote]Originally posted by md2003

md2003
    Hello,md2003, l took your advice and ordered the Bioclusive.l received them free of charge thru FEDX in just a few days.After a year of use l was unaware of this help.l appreciate your input on this subject very much. l think they will work fine this summer.Thanks Again, StevenDD

SD

dstaley is offline Member

Hello everyone, extremely important information about the Bioclusive dressings, that's why I want to make sure everyone see's this and hopefully we can get some feedback or ideas .....

As is posted under a new topic in this forum, this is very important information for everyone that is having problems with the Fentanyl patches; Jensen, Mylan, etc. sticking and use the Bioclusive dressings supplied by Johnson & Johnson (Jensen) to secure them. Today I tried to re-order my supply from Jensen and was asked to supply code numbers off of the Jensen Fentanyl patch box to assure them that it was to be used with their product. I was told that I could also find the needed code numbers from a patch package. Of course, having been given Mylan patches like everyone else who has insurance picking up the tab I couldn't supply the proper code numbers and was refused a re-order of the dressing.

I contacted Mylan to see if they offered the dressings and was told by *the only one doing Fentanyl research AND support at Mylan Laboratories Inc.* that they were not supplying dressings at this time because they were still gathering data on how large of a problem it is and how well their product works. They said "Even Jensen went several months assessing the problem before providing the dressing to correct it". I told her that with my oily skin and with the aquatic's I'm supposed to do the patches would not hold and I need extra sticking power. She told me .... and I quote this ..... "Well, the only thing I can tell you in the mean time is to buy some medical tape and go along the edges of the pad to stick the edges really well. That should take care of the problem."

As you can see, we are in trouble. The insurance companies will *not* pay for the Jensen patches now since the Generic patches have hit the market, the Generic patch companies are not supplying Bioclusive dressings for several months while they evaluate the sticking potential of their new product, and Jensen will *not* supply Bioclusive dressings for use with the Generic patches. Oh, and if we buy them on our own the pharmacies don't supply them as they are not a billable item to insurance companies, you have to purchase them from surgical supply houses.

Any suggestions??

Blessings, warmth and may your pain take a vacation .....
    Dennis Staley

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~
    When you walk across the fields with your mind pure and holy, then from all the stones, and all growing things, and all animals, the sparks of their soul come out and cling to you, and then they are purified and become holy fire in you.
    -- Ancient Hasidic Saying --
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~

doxsons4us is offline New Member

My husband,50, has been on Duragesic for years, for a "surgically wrecked back." He is on 200mcg/h every 2 days, because his pain specialist knows they dont work after 48 hours. Last month he was switched to the Mylan brand, became so sick after 2 days thought he would "die". Two pain specialist's he sees both said the Mylan should be taken off the market as it has a totally different delivery system. His doctor was not aware that insur. was going to substitute the generic Mylan. So this month he was put on the Sandoz that seem to be the same, but now after a couple of weeks, he is sick all the time, nausea headache etc. Anyone have similiar issues? Also, as far as the Bioclusive, I have found them on Ebay and MUCH cheaper than pharmacy. Depending on the size you need, you can get good deals on the smaller cover, 2X3 in boxes of 100 or smaller. Even if you need 2 it is cheaper. Using 2 100 patches these are too small for us, but can still get the larger covers cheaper there.

GUYS,GUYS,GUYS,
    I HAVE HEARD SO MANY DIFFERENT STORIES ABOUT THE GENERIC PATCH. MYLAN IS DIFFERENT ONLY IN HOW IT HOLDS THE NARCOTIC. THIS GENERIC PATCH STILL DELIVERS THROUGH THE SKIN AND STICKS MUCH BETTER THAN THE NAME BRAND. I HOPE IT STAYS ON THE MARKET.

tacc28 is offline New Member

[?] well hello all, I am new to this site , HOWEVER NOT NEW TO DURAGESIC. first of all i would like to tell u a bit about myself. I am 28 yrs old mother of twin daughters 5 yrs old i have been on duragesic 300mcgs/ every 72 hours since oct 2003.even though they say they are often to be changed after48 hours well at this dose i can tell u that yes, the name brand that is they do work why am i on such a high dose? okay here goes 4 years ago L1-S1 ruptured with multiple annular tears and fragments of discs which fell and landed on nerve roots causing extreme lower extremity pain,numbness,dropfoot almost peg leg due to a discogram it ruptured every one of them.obviously doc thougth i had strong walls well apparently not .. that is when i decided to go under the knife the pain was unbearable before duragesic but i can agree to this right before i had the micro done the j&j duragesic were working for the pain i knew the pain was there but i could now once again function. take care of my girls, etc.. only side effect i had in the beginning was theflushing of my skin now that copuld be due to the high dose of morphine i was on orally before this l60mgs/evry 6-8 hours for pain now those made me dose off with a cigarette in hand causing losts of prbs one minute i would be wide awake in extreme pain the next i would be out cold. okay back to my story sorry so long ... but had to have surgery because the one rupture was at L2-3 3-4 lumbar was pushing on L3-4 so bad that it was causing my leg to lose muscle tone and was becoming smaller then left it would drag behind me when i walked okay here goes. sought out every kind of morphine b4 this and was put on this october 2003. they started me at 50mcg but over 2 weeks time i was up to 300mcgs 72 hours my insurance will not cover more then 30 a month . okay the rest of my story i also have congenital severe spinal stenosis L1-S1 which should have been found in earlier mris when i complained of back pain this is all prior to bulging/ruptures /medications/surgerys and degenrative disc disease L2-S1. recent car wreck caused C2-C7 bulging but that is totally different story..i have had one surgery ( L3-4 microdiscectomy) after seeking out 15 neuros. in pittsburgh pennsylvania. those of u who know where that is know there are many great physicians around anyway. none of them would do surgery i have too much damage or too young ,.. cant fuse too many levels cant do the BAK THING TOO MANY LEVELS artificial disc replacement is not available here and if it wasi am not a candidate. and they are only known to fix damage on people with one or two bad discs well....not a candidate for that either so i sought out DR.EL-kadi who performed the micro did not fix more then one level when he had me cut open his response to me was a i can guarantee u leg relief but not back relief i had way to much damage to fix okay so i was ready to commit suicide at age 25 well after surgery leg pain was gone but i remained on the duragesic because of my back itself. still at same dose the winter is soo bad for me then i sought out 15 more neuros even the chief of neurosurgery at UPMC presbyterian hospital DR. welch .post surgery in september of last year due to rerupture of 3-4 now i almost opted for the morphine pump internally thank god i decided against it too many risks why DR.EL-kadi performed the micro did not fix more then one level when he had me cut open at UPMC on their staff DR.EL-kadi did the micro jan 2004 now winter of 2004 Dr. welch great doc but would not do surgery. watned me to opt out for the neurostimulator internally i watched the video i dont like the idea of shocking sensations down thorugh my legs instead of pain if i want shocked i will plug in an outlet with wet hands. so i said no to that well my last option sinse i am on state legeal limit of fentanyl next to nursing home and mind u only 28 is these now they have since recently wen to generic i dont like how mylan works the only good benefits are that it will be harder to be abused by those who shoot it in their veins or eat them . i like the smallness in them like nicotene patches but as for them working as good no. they kick in allot faster which makes me think they are not as effective i love that they are small because i ran out of room to stick the duragesics being ony 5'4 115lbs due to chronic pain. now as for sandoz well my insurance wont cover that brand and in order for them to fill name brand i have to fail 3 generic brands well they only cover one generic so how am i supposed to fail any other when they wont pay? and there are only 2 generic brands out there right now. sorry to dump allthis on young wanted to post in general to let the people knwo i have always had a prb with them j& j sticking after 2 days so i would apply that clear tape a hospital uses when they take blood it has always worked for me and cheap half the timedoc gives it to me free . that rips easily and have no prbs there now as for mylan brand they dont stick which is dangerous considering i have 5 year old kids they can fall off me on to a floor and stick to them so i have taped them froim day one and i onlly wear them on the front of my thighs whree i used to wear the duragesics the size is better yes but i do not reccommend them over the name brand only for the reasons i have stated which are very good reasons i might add but what am i to do to get them to pay for name brand . until they come out with ones that my insurance will cover?? and i am at this point [u]inoperable there is no surgery that can be done to fix me </u>any suggestions thanks for hearing most of my story...... tracey

Sherri_GGI is offline New Member

I have been on the Duragesic patch for about a year and a half now. My doctor refuses to increase my dosage of the patch even though I don't feel it is effective as it was. I am on the Duragesic 100. Instead of increasing the dosage of the patch, he gave me Ultracet to handle the break-through pain. I was on 4 of those a day but have now increased to anywhere from 6-8 depending on what I do at work (First grade teacher). I have a degenerative disc that is pinching a nerve and after having 2 discograms, they have also discovered that my pain is coming from a different disc as well. When I had one disc that was able to be taken care of, I was a candidiate for disc replacement, but since I have 2 discs, I am told I am no longer a candidate, although this seems to go against what I have read[?]. I also lose strength in my legs and fall to my knees anywhere from 10-50 times a day. Does anybody else do this? and if so, are you still working? My doctors don't seem to want to take me out of work, even when I have told them about several students who have pushed me or tripped me. I have also been told that if I fall the wrong way, I could become paralyzed. Does it make sense for me to still be working? Thank you for any input you may have on this.

On a different note, I was having a lot of problems with the Duragesic sticking. I have tried both of the generics (Sandoz and Mylan) since CVS has one and Walgreens has the other. Personally I prefer the Mylan because it is smaller and does seem to stick a lot better. I have had a lot of problems with the Sandoz wearing off before if is supposed to. It has been too long since I have used the Mylan so I couldn't tell if that one is the same way. I have had some nausea with the Sandoz since I have been using it.

Dear sherriYou need to get yourself another doctor. If you have documented back degeneration don't get on the pain/doctor roller coaster. Un- fortunately, doctors have to worry about the federal gov't having them arrested for over-prescribing. You need to find a doctor who is not afraid of the big bad wolf.

Jillie is offline New Member

I switched to the Mylan and like the patch. However, for severe pain when my low back really really Hurts, nothing helps. I want someback-up meds for those times. Drs look at me like I am crazy....
    is it no longer possible to order meds on the internet???
    My friend gets valium by the 100s, but wont tell me how.
    I really would like to know, it used to be easierI guess
    thanks and please answer only thru this medium,l no emails as this is personal THANKS AGAIN!!!

jillie

cblackburn is offline New Member

my wife is on the new patches and thinks they are not as good as the other ones, they dont last as long

newyork2001 is offline New Member

hi all. i just wanted to say that i used the name brand duragesic back in november of 2004 and my doctor is trying me on the generic for the first time. in my opinion the generic is far stronger. i woke up this morning and had to take the patch off because i just didn't feel right. i am only on the 50 mcg. any input?

trisha1 is offline New Member

[We need to write our congressmen these generic patches do not work I was on name brand for a year 100 mg now ins only paying for generic go through withdraw after 24 hrs

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast