Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Generic Duragesic patch
    trisha1 is offline New Member

the mylan generic DO NOT WORK have been on name brand for a year we need to write to our congressmen to get our ins.to go back to paying for the real patches

moodstar53 is offline Junior Member

Hello,

I'm new to this site. I ran across it because I am researching all I can to find out about how people feel about these "patches." I am glad for those who say they like the fentanyl patches, but please take note of what I have found. First, the patch is what caused the DEATH of my father last year, who was elderly. Second, fentanyl is almost a hundred times more powerful than morphine, and as far as cutting the patches--this only INCREASES the chances that you will overdose on these things. The sandoz patches, are the SAME AS DURAGESIC--they only have a different name, they are Janssen's generic, the maker of Duragesic. I found this out from the Janssen topic on another message board called cafepharma.com This was stated by the sales reps. who market and sell them to doctors and hospitals. The sales reps are aware of the dangers, but they have to make a living off of something that is killing a lot of people. Next, the Mylan patches uses a matrix form of delivery instead of the "gel" that is enclosed in the original Duragesic patches. There was a Citizen's Petition originated by a Doctor D. Brookoff to get the FDA to NOT approve the generic matrix patch earlier this year because "the delivery system in the new generic is even more dangerous that the gel patches." Well, the FDA approved it anyway. The FDA have their hands stuck in the pockets of the big pharma companies anyway. All that I found out about fentanyl and these patches is that TO ME, THEY ARE EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. Of course, if I had my way, I would have them ALL removed from the market. Not only are people abusing them, thinking they can cut them open, snort or eat the fentanyl inside, to get high, only to overdose almost instantly. (I have folders filled with printed info from these cases). Also, everyone do not metabolize the fentanyl the same, especially the elderly. The fentanyl is SUPPOSED to be time release to SLOWLY be absorbed into the skin, then released into the bloodstream. As with my father, we didn't find out all the risks (the doctor did not tell us or get our informed consent) and before we knew it, my dad was starting to have symptoms which included sweating profusely, coughing, hallucinating, and worst of all, difficulty breathing, or depressed breathing and hypoventilation. These were warned about in the insert (I found out too late) and also on the Janssen website. It is more dangerous to the elderly, but I have accounts where even 30-40 yr. olds have overdosed from the lowest dosage, 25 mcg which is what my dad was on. I am in the process of reporting this doc to the Med Board for overprescribing, not getting informed consent and several other issues. I tried to get legal help, but no atty. will take the case because they know that it's hard to get justice for a 96 yr old, the economic damages is just non-existent. So, my recourse is the tell as many people as possible of the dangers, and especially those who have elderly family members. Usually, once they succomb to the patch, then they try to say the person had all these "pre-existing conditions" that caused their death. My father had prostate cancer and congestive heart failure, neither of which was anywhere NEAR end stages at the time the patch killed him. His doctor first prescribed it when my dad entered the hospital for DEHYDRATION--So, be careful to ensure that your children, pets, others accidently ingest or allow the patch to accidently get stuck on them, becuase it could be fatal. Every time I read on these boards about the side effects people are experiencing, I cringe in the hopes that no one will die from these things. Again, those who are getting relief, I'm glad for you, but don't take these things lightly. THEY CAN KILL YOU!!!! Do not believe that you can "cut" these things to lower the dosage--that is definitely a no-no. Janssen is soon to market a 12.5 mcg patch which is half of the lowest dosage. The 25 mcg proved fatal to my father, and there was nothing to "wean" down to. Most of all, MY FATHER WAS NOT IN ANY PAIN THAT EVEN JUSTIFIED HIM PRESCRIBING IT IN THE FIRST PLACE! These patches are being used to get high, as a murder weapon, and as a tool to commit suicide. My guess that before it's over, all these patches will be banned.

dstaley is offline Member

Hi moodstar53:

As far as people getting ahold of my patches to snort etc it's not going to happen as I only am prescribed a set amount. I give one away and that means I don't walk due to pain for three days until my next patch. And as far as people getting them banned, I sure hope you don't get your way. I'm very sorry for your father, I lost my mother due to problems from a surgery when I was 14 so I know how you feel. No matter how much your awarded for ecconomic damages it just won't replace the love. You have my sympathies on that. But the Fentanyl patch has been the only thing that has worked for me after trying dozens of medications over the last 10 years. You win and the patches come off the market, I loose and my method of living is drastically reduced back to not being able to walk again with pain all the time. And what about the cancer patients that depend on these patches to just make it through the day? It's terrible living in generalities ..... isn't it?

Blessings ......
    Dennis Staley

-----------------------------
    There are obviously two educations. One should teach us how to make a living and the other how to live.
    -- James Truslow Adams

Hello dstaley,

As I stated, I'm glad for those who get relief from the patch. I'm sure there are many who do use them without adverse reactions. I'm sure that I (one person)can't get them removed from the market, but I think I'm seeing a broader picture, with all the sites I have found where people are not as tolerant of the drug as you are. I know of people in my area who lost a loved one to what they suspect was the patch, one was actually a doctor himself, whose elderly father went to sleep and did not wake up, from what he was SURE was caused by the Duragesic patch. One 43 yr. old lady told me that after she used the patch for a few days/weeks, her children would come in from school and find her in the house, passed out. This was determined to be from the patch and she may have been closer to death than she realized. She had to go through detox to get off. I also know of others, and these are the people and cases that you don't hear a lot about. I get automatic e-mail alerts from a site and every time news or somethings related to the patch comes out, I get an automatic message. MOST of the news is where someone else had DIED from overdose or thinking they can cut them open and get high, only to end up DEAD. I used Vioxx and got relief that nothing else would give for aches and pains. However, we see where Vioxx is today (not sure, they may have put it back on market).I'm just saying from all I have found (even from some doctors) the fentanyl patch can be a deadly drug. I know you can overdose on aspirin or alcohol. But from what many people are saying about the patch is they would rather suffer the pain than deal with the side effects or the withdrawal symptoms when they tried to come off. One person even said the patch was "evil." Obviously this person suffered such horendous symptoms that he/she said they'll just deal with the pain or find something else. Many people just don't report adverse events to the manufacturer or the FDA--you can do this online with the FDA. It probably didn't amount to much, but I felt a responsibility to report to both when my father died. Since it seems like I won't be able to get legal representation because of his age, the least I can do is let other people know what my family knows, that this patch can kill you. I don't know what's worse, seeing a person in excruciating pain (suffering) or seeing someone gasping for breath, sweating and basically dying right in front of your eyes, the way we saw my father suffer. Of course, I hold his doctor totally responsible for what happened. This drug is a Schedule II controlled narcotic, which carries certain guidelines and laws in prescribing, one of which the doctor bound (by DEA and FDA law) to inform us of the risks with the patch, then get our consent and let MY FAMILY decide if we wanted dad to have it, all of which the doctor did not do. The biggest issue is I just don't know why he prescribed it in the first place, could money have been the motive? Is it possible that he is abusing them, after all, healthcare workers are the biggest abusers, even stealing them off of patients and corpses! Was he just tired of treating my father? To be honest, from everything that happened and all that this doc said, I really believe that he KNEW that more than likely, this drug would probably kill him. As far as cancer patient getting relief from it, there is a thin line between people who die from their cancer and actually dying from overdose of morphine or fentanyl patches, oxycontin, etc. That is where the family or the person suffering comes in. It is the suffering person's decision on what they want or their family's decision, this right is not just turned over to a doctor to decide. I have not wanted to see this doctor since his death, much less talk to him. My plan is to file a complaint with the state medical board because I KNOW he broke some very important laws and rules concerning prescribing pain narcotics. My whole intent for posting is the alert or raise awareness to the POTENTIAL dangers to the drug--maybe this is the only recourse I have and maybe, just maybe it will save someone's life. I'm not trying to frighten anyone by doing this, those that get relief, please continue to use them. Best of luck with your health, but just keep in mind what I have said.

God Bless

RONNIE LECKOW is offline Junior Member

Yes yes yes!
    I spent 3 months in hell...hurting all over and ALWAYS just on the edge of withdrawal! Finally called Janssen and signed up for patient services. It's 2 days on back on the original patch...and feeling a whole lot better. The generic just doesn't work...and frankly...since the delivery system is so drastically different from the original...I don't think it IS a generic. But try and tell that to the insurance companies!

TimRobo is offline New Member

I, too have been able to find some major relief from pain with Duragesic. I have had to advance to the 100 mcg patch, but it does allow me to function and remain somewhat active. I'm 51 years old and in 1998 I took a fall in the Smoky Mountains and broke my back. Duragesic really helps me. And for those not aware, Fentanyl is not a new drug by any means and if you have had any form of surgery, you have probably been given Fentanyl. And now for my tip. I, too struggle with getting it to stick well. It will even raise up underneath the Bioclusive patch from Johnson and Johnson (which does not come off under any situation). I have found a method contrary to directions but it works for me. Before I apply the patch, I heat my arm up with a hair dryer. After I get the patch in place I then apply warm air from the hair dryer directly to the patch. It makes the patch much more pliable and seems to activate the adhesive better. I then spend a minute or two rubbing the patch flat and removing air bubbles. You can actually feel the softness in the patch and it even feels like it is on better. I know the application of heat is contrary to directions but I have not noticed any adverse affects in doing this.......other than my patch stays on much better.

quote:Originally posted by TimRobo

Before I apply the patch, I heat my arm up with a hair dryer. After I get the patch in place I then apply warm air from the hair dryer directly to the patch. It makes the patch much more pliable and seems to activate the adhesive better.
    TimRobo my friend ..... it works!! :-)

I actually go a couple of steps further as I was breaking out with a bad rash. I use a cotton swab and wash down the area really well with rubbing alchol first, put on the patch as best I can, then heat it well with a hair dryer doing the 30-60 second press in place afterwards.

All of the above is strictly against all manufactures instructions but it's the only way I can get them to stay on and like you I have not had any adverse reactions nor rashes since.

Seems the material they use is too heavy duty or something. Thank you so very much for the idea! It seems to be working very well.

Yours in pain and not addiction .......
    dstaley

There are obviously two educations. One should teach us how to make a living and the other how to live.
    -- James Truslow Adams

hawhite is offline New Member

My Mother has been on the Fentanyl Brand Duragesic Patch for well over two years, dosage 50 mcg/hr. She pays full price since her Kaiser doesn't cover name brands. She was very excited to learn Kaiser finally received the Generic Brand Mylan and her prescription would only have a $10.00 COPAY instead of $700.00 or more. Having no problems for over 2 years on the Name Brand she had no idea what she was in for. As soon as she started the MYLAN patch she went through withdrawals, sweating, rashes, sick and in a lot of pain, it was obvious this new generic patch was not the same. She contacted MYLAN directly and they denied any difference in the two patches, she called her Pharmacy and her Doctor, everyone is denying any difference but she still continues to be in pain. I had her try putting two of the 50 mcg/hr MYLAN Patches on to see if they would work more like the NON-GENERIC and she does get more pain relief but her doctor does not want her using two. I don't belive that the same amount of medication is equivalent in these Generic Patches. Anyone know if any Clinical Trials were done when testing for the Equivalence to approve this New Geneneric MYLAN Patch.

Hope

I have a feeling, the reason we're not getting the same effect from the solid generic...is because memapausal women don't have enough moisture left in our skin to melt the damn thing down! I contacted Jannsen and they're suppling me with the name brand at no cost. Give them a call...it's worth the effort!

hawhite is offline New Member

Ronnie, how did you get Jannsen to Pay for the Patch? I've tried calling their assistance line many times and have waited on hold almost 1/2 hour without ever getting through. My Mom is willing to pay just to get out of pain, but I've been calling Pharmacies all over town and I've been told $800 - $989 for a 3 month prescription. Thanks

Hope

Quicksilvr44 is offline New Member

Okay after reading all of these post, I am very well upset. First of all anyone that cuts the patch and tries to suck out the gel is not someone who is in true need of the medication, this only tells me this is a person who is trying to get high. Fact is with these extended release narcotics is that you don't get "high" like you do with other pain meds. The reason is you don't get a lot of drug in your system and then crash, you get a steady level and that prohibits the high feeling. Which is why abusers cut them open and so forth. In my mind people that risk that deserve what ever issues they create for them.
    As for the generic, I have done my research and the SANDOZ are made by ALZA in Mountain View, CA... the same company that produces the patch for Janssen. So in theory it is the same patch, just with different printed words on the patch and on the foil package. However after being on the Duragesic I switched to the Sandoz ones and began withdrawl within two days.
    For the issue with the patches not staying on, Duragesic makes a cover to go on the outside. However not many pharmacies carry them and they are some what expensive from that I have seen, unless you can get your doctor to sign off on them and write a script.
    Thank you to who ever gave that blow dryer idea, as that sounds good. I too clean the skin area with rubbing alcohol and that by its self is a little bit better.
    To the person that is trying to get these banned and feels that these are horrible etc. There are many more people getting benifits from these then there are issues. Duragesic is a NARCOTIC and therefore comes with issues on its own. Keep that in mind. If anyone wishes to email me, please feel free to do so... Uscghull@aol.com

Paulie42652 is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by moodstar53

Hello,

I'm new to this site. I ran across it because I am researching all I can to find out about how people feel about these "patches." I am glad for those who say they like the fentanyl patches, but please take note of what I have found. First, the patch is what caused the DEATH of my father last year, who was elderly. Second, fentanyl is almost a hundred times more powerful than morphine, and as far as cutting the patches--this only INCREASES the chances that you will overdose on these things. The sandoz patches, are the SAME AS DURAGESIC--they only have a different name, they are Janssen's generic, the maker of Duragesic. I found this out from the Janssen topic on another message board called cafepharma.com This was stated by the sales reps. who market and sell them to doctors and hospitals. The sales reps are aware of the dangers, but they have to make a living off of something that is killing a lot of people. Next, the Mylan patches uses a matrix form of delivery instead of the "gel" that is enclosed in the original Duragesic patches. There was a Citizen's Petition originated by a Doctor D. Brookoff to get the FDA to NOT approve the generic matrix patch earlier this year because "the delivery system in the new generic is even more dangerous that the gel patches." Well, the FDA approved it anyway. The FDA have their hands stuck in the pockets of the big pharma companies anyway. All that I found out about fentanyl and these patches is that TO ME, THEY ARE EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. Of course, if I had my way, I would have them ALL removed from the market. Not only are people abusing them, thinking they can cut them open, snort or eat the fentanyl inside, to get high, only to overdose almost instantly. (I have folders filled with printed info from these cases). Also, everyone do not metabolize the fentanyl the same, especially the elderly. The fentanyl is SUPPOSED to be time release to SLOWLY be absorbed into the skin, then released into the bloodstream. As with my father, we didn't find out all the risks (the doctor did not tell us or get our informed consent) and before we knew it, my dad was starting to have symptoms which included sweating profusely, coughing, hallucinating, and worst of all, difficulty breathing, or depressed breathing and hypoventilation. These were warned about in the insert (I found out too late) and also on the Janssen website. It is more dangerous to the elderly, but I have accounts where even 30-40 yr. olds have overdosed from the lowest dosage, 25 mcg which is what my dad was on. I am in the process of reporting this doc to the Med Board for overprescribing, not getting informed consent and several other issues. I tried to get legal help, but no atty. will take the case because they know that it's hard to get justice for a 96 yr old, the economic damages is just non-existent. So, my recourse is the tell as many people as possible of the dangers, and especially those who have elderly family members. Usually, once they succomb to the patch, then they try to say the person had all these "pre-existing conditions" that caused their death. My father had prostate cancer and congestive heart failure, neither of which was anywhere NEAR end stages at the time the patch killed him. His doctor first prescribed it when my dad entered the hospital for DEHYDRATION--So, be careful to ensure that your children, pets, others accidently ingest or allow the patch to accidently get stuck on them, becuase it could be fatal. Every time I read on these boards about the side effects people are experiencing, I cringe in the hopes that no one will die from these things. Again, those who are getting relief, I'm glad for you, but don't take these things lightly. THEY CAN KILL YOU!!!! Do not believe that you can "cut" these things to lower the dosage--that is definitely a no-no. Janssen is soon to market a 12.5 mcg patch which is half of the lowest dosage. The 25 mcg proved fatal to my father, and there was nothing to "wean" down to. Most of all, MY FATHER WAS NOT IN ANY PAIN THAT EVEN JUSTIFIED HIM PRESCRIBING IT IN THE FIRST PLACE! These patches are being used to get high, as a murder weapon, and as a tool to commit suicide. My guess that before it's over, all these patches will be banned.

For those of us who have genuine chronic non-malignant pain...IT IS A DARN GOOD THING YOU DO NOT HAVE YOUR WAY...............

your unbelievable....

quote:Originally posted by Paulie42652

Hello,

For those of us who have genuine chronic non-malignant pain...IT IS A DARN GOOD THING YOU DO NOT HAVE YOUR WAY...............

your unbelievable....
    I never stated that your chronic pain wasn't GENUINE. If you would go back and read my post carefully, I stated that I'm GLAD FOR THOSE WHO GET RELIEF FROM THE PATCH. Now, that said, I'm not apologizing for feeling what I feel, a person who lost a loved one from the effects of the patch, and yes, I said I would like to see it off the market, which might happen WITHOUT any help from me, after all, I'm just one person. For anyone who is interested, go to the FDA /Janssen website and you will see NEW, UPDATED WARNINGS that just came out on July 8. They keep coming out with these warnings, and trust me, I have copies of all these warning letters, along with other research. So where do you think the warnings are coming from?? They are coming from more and more reports of adverse events i.e. (people overdosing and dying)and if it continues, then the results will be from the action of Johnson and Johnson pulling it from the market, not from me. Same as with Vioox, Bextra and so on. I got great relief from Vioox a few years ago, but I'm darned glad that someone saw a need from the adverse events that it was pulled. So what did I do? I resorted to something else for my pain. I just know that I SAW my father suffer from this potent narcotic. So go ahead, I truly hope all of you who get results from it, to continue using it. Just consider me as a person who feel the need to WARN others of the potential danger, ESPECIALLY TO THE ELDERLY, these are the people who are more likely to experience the side effects and, yes, DEATH.

Good Luck with your Health

Hello,

your unbelievable....
    I never stated that your chronic pain wasn't GENUINE. If you would go back and read my post carefully, I stated that I'm GLAD FOR THOSE WHO GET RELIEF FROM THE PATCH. Now, that said, I'm not apologizing for feeling what I feel, a person who lost a loved one from the effects of the patch, and yes, I said I would like to see it off the market, which might happen WITHOUT any help from me, after all, I'm just one person. For anyone who is interested, go to the FDA /Janssen website and you will see NEW, UPDATED WARNINGS that just came out on July 8. They keep coming out with these warnings, and trust me, I have copies of all these warning letters, along with other research. So where do you think the warnings are coming from?? They are coming from more and more reports of adverse events i.e. (people overdosing and dying)and if it continues, then the results will be from the action of Johnson and Johnson pulling it from the market, not from me. Same as with Vioox, Bextra and so on. I got great relief from Vioox a few years ago, but I'm darned glad that someone saw a need from the adverse events that it was pulled. So what did I do? I resorted to something else for my pain. I just know that I SAW my father suffer from this potent narcotic. So go ahead, I truly hope all of you who get results from it, to continue using it. Just consider me as a person who feel the need to WARN others of the potential danger, ESPECIALLY TO THE ELDERLY, these are the people who are more likely to experience the side effects and, yes, DEATH.

Whatevah...I have read it all, Now I am going to tell you what I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!

I am 53 years old, in 1976 my right leg was RIPPED OFF AT THE HIP..........ok? I have a stump that is completely scar tissue and almost from day one, I have had SEVERE CHRONIC CRIPPLING NEUROPATHIC PAIN......and for years, the old school doctors were just positive that I was a doper, that all I wanted painkillers for was to get high....and NO one, ever bothered to try and come up with a comprehensive approach to my pain. Almost 25 years pass, I move, and finally hook up with a newer school MD, who approaches pain with the belief that it can be and should be controlled with an absolute minimum of side effects. OK? Fentynal patch 25 MG per hour, 30 percosets a month, and I feel better and have way less distress then I have had in almost thirty years.

This is WHAT I KNOW! So, as a result, I KNOW that if you had your way, I would stil be suffering in silence. As far as I am concerned, that is simply not an option, and I have an obligation to myself and others in my situation to SPEAK UP.. Tell you that you are mistaken, and that there is NO WAY YOU CAN KNOW HOW WE FEEL! Do not tell me you sympathize and all that, cuz you go away and we are left in pain. I sincerely hope you never ever have to endure what I and others have due to KNEE JERK REACTIONS TO OPIATES!

SPEAK OF WHAT YOU KNOW!

Hello,

your unbelievable....

I am 53 years old, in 1976 my right leg was RIPPED OFF AT THE HIP..........ok? I have a stump that is completely scar tissue and almost from day one, I have had SEVERE CHRONIC CRIPPLING NEUROPATHIC PAIN......and for years, the old school doctors were just positive that I was a doper, that all I wanted painkillers for was to get high....and NO one, ever bothered to try and come up with a comprehensive approach to my pain. Almost 25 years pass, I move, and finally hook up with a newer school MD, who approaches pain with the belief that it can be and should be controlled with an absolute minimum of side effects. OK? Fentynal patch 25 MG per hour, 30 percosets a month, and I feel better and have way less distress then I have had in almost thirty years.

This is WHAT I KNOW! So, as a result, I KNOW that if you had your way, I would stil be suffering in silence. As far as I am concerned, that is simply not an option, and I have an obligation to myself and others in my situation to SPEAK UP.. Tell you that you are mistaken, and that there is NO WAY YOU CAN KNOW HOW WE FEEL! Do not tell me you sympathize and all that, cuz you go away and we are left in pain. I sincerely hope you never ever have to endure what I and others have due to KNEE JERK REACTIONS TO OPIATES!

SPEAK OF WHAT YOU KNOW!
    I am speaking of what I know-- and you obviously don't read very well, Did I say anywhere that I know how you feel??? What I said was, I'M GLAD THAT YOU AND MANY OTHERS ARE GETTING RELIEF! If you don't believe it, thats your problem. You have your problems, I have mine, which is trying to get CLOSURE from the death of my father, who was negligently prescribed this patch that took his life. I haven't heard you offer any type of sympathy for me (not that I'm looking for any.) So maybe we both are a little SELFISH. I am also 53, and what I know is this, you're in pain--MY FATHER IS DEAD, OK, D-E-A-D, AND SO ARE MANY OTHERS FROM THIS PATCH. So, like you, I'm speaking for all those like myself who has lost loved ones, and not from abusing it, and no, they're not all elderly either,just people who couldn't tolerate it or from the leaking patches that was recalled. I would think that you would at least say "Thank you for the warning, but I'll continue using it." Everything I'm hearing from you is all about "YOU." For every person on the many mesage boards and forums who get results from the patch, there are almost as many that talk about the horrible side effects and how many have said they would rather deal with their pain than the side effects and even the terrible withdrawal symptoms when they attempt to discontinue its use. The person I am holding entirely responsible is my dad's doctor, who will have to answer questions from the state medical board very soon. So in ending, I won't even leave with any type of good wishes for your health, I'll save that for those who APPRECIATE IT.

Hello,

your unbelievable....

SPEAK OF WHAT YOU KNOW!
    I am speaking of what I know-- and you obviously don't read very well, Did I say anywhere that I know how you feel??? What I said was, I'M GLAD THAT YOU AND MANY OTHERS ARE GETTING RELIEF! If you don't believe it, thats your problem. You have your problems, I have mine, which is trying to get CLOSURE from the death of my father, who was negligently prescribed this patch that took his life. I haven't heard you offer any type of sympathy for me (not that I'm looking for any.) So maybe we both are a little SELFISH. I am also 53, and what I know is this, you're in pain--MY FATHER IS DEAD, OK, D-E-A-D, AND SO ARE MANY OTHERS FROM THIS PATCH. So, like you, I'm speaking for all those like myself who has lost loved ones, and not from abusing it, and no, they're not all elderly either,just people who couldn't tolerate it or from the leaking patches that was recalled. I would think that you would at least say "Thank you for the warning, but I'll continue using it." Everything I'm hearing from you is all about "YOU." For every person on the many mesage boards and forums who get results from the patch, there are almost as many that talk about the horrible side effects and how many have said they would rather deal with their pain than the side effects and even the terrible withdrawal symptoms when they attempt to discontinue its use. The person I am holding entirely responsible is my dad's doctor, who will have to answer questions from the state medical board very soon. So in ending, I won't even leave with any type of good wishes for your health, I'll save that for those who APPRECIATE IT.
    I do not want or need Your good wishes..........I have a new life now that I am not in chronic distress thanks to the medicine you want to take away from me. That is WHAT I KNOW!

Hello,

your unbelievable....

SPEAK OF WHAT YOU KNOW!
    I do not want or need Your good wishes..........I have a new life now that I am not in chronic distress thanks to the medicine you want to take away from me. That is WHAT I KNOW!
    Best Wishes ANYWAY, after all, it's all about YOU, no concern for those who have died from the >>>>.

Moodstar, I am very sorry for your loss. Sometimes when you experience the terrible pain that some of us endure, it can easily become all about ourselves. It may not be intentional, but it happens nonetheless. One mistake I think you are making is blaming the Duragesic patch for your father's death when the drug fentanyl was the culprit. Certainly you are aware that fentanyl has been around for many years. If you have had any form of surgery, you have probably been given fentanyl. It is widely used along with drugs that make you sleep during surgery to block the pain messages to the brain. Yes it is very powerful. But isn't your beef with the doctor and not the drug?

quote:Originally posted by TimRobo

Moodstar, I am very sorry for your loss. Sometimes when you experience the terrible pain that some of us endure, it can easily become all about ourselves. It may not be intentional, but it happens nonetheless. One mistake I think you are making is blaming the Duragesic patch for your father's death when the drug fentanyl was the culprit. Certainly you are aware that fentanyl has been around for many years. If you have had any form of surgery, you have probably been given fentanyl. It is widely used along with drugs that make you sleep during surgery to block the pain messages to the brain. Yes it is very powerful. But isn't your beef with the doctor and not the drug?
    First, thank you for your first statement, obviously the previous poster never extended any kind words, so matter what one experiences, it's always good that one can look just a little beyond their own situation, to think a little about others. I attempted to do this, only to get blasted with this person's selfish words. Yes, I realize fentanyl is the active drug in a gel form inside the patch. Yes, I realize it has been around a long time and is used in many surgeries. Read my previous post, I stated that I'm holding the doctor responsible for misprescribing and not monitoring my dad, let alone not getting informed consent. You must have scanned through my previous post. I wonder what will those who get relied do if (and I said IF) it is eventually removed from the market. Most likely you won't die, you'll resort to something else for pain, just as you did before the patch came out.

Thanks

First, thank you for your first statement, obviously the previous poster never extended any kind words, so matter what one experiences, it's always good that one can look just a little beyond their own situation, to think a little about others. I attempted to do this, only to get blasted with this person's selfish words. Yes, I realize fentanyl is the active drug in a gel form inside the patch. Yes, I realize it has been around a long time and is used in many surgeries. Read my previous post, I stated that I'm holding the doctor responsible for misprescribing and not monitoring my dad, let alone not getting informed consent. You must have scanned through my previous post. I wonder what will those who get relied do if (and I said IF) it is eventually removed from the market. Most likely you won't die, you'll resort to something else for pain, just as you did before the patch came out.

Thanks
    First of all moodstar53, I want to extend my deepest condolences for the death of your father. When our parents are taken from us it's always a rough time, and when it's caused by incompetence it's even a worse thing. I understand .... because I lost both of my parents when I was very young. My mother when I was 12 and my father when I was 14. My mother was due to imcompetence during a surgery for the removal of cancer and my father while they were experimenting with Mustard Gas to treat cancer. It was a very rough time for me and I understand your need for closure.

But you have to understand something .... if I were to go on a support board for people undergoing cancer procedures and start to downgrade the only hope they have for survival due to my loss, I'd not get a very good reception.

This is what your experiencing. You've come to a support board for the only medication that we have found that releaves our specific medical conditions and that is prescribed by our doctors after much trial and error with other medications. Your trying to receive closure by warning us of our medications danger, side effects, and the abuse of this medication by some people and doctors.

I'm sure I speak for everyone here by once again extending our deepest condolences for your loss. But You have to understand that I'm sure your father would want you to move on with your life and not use your life in the effort to keep your loss alive and ongoing. You have to move on with your life and make it something that your father would be proud of.

I have to assure you here, that if your going to use your life to outlaw the use and prescription of Duragesic or Fentanyl ..... it's not going to happen. Set asside for one minute that everyone on this board uses it every day and we have finally found what we might in some way consider a "miracle drug". That being in quotes due to the fact that we don't believe in "miracle drugs" anymore than you do.

But in the first place ..... we've finally found something that allows us to function every day in much the same way that you do .... with relief of our pain and able to walk.

I take it that you are healthy and able to walk, aren't you? That your day is not ruled at first light by how much pain you'll have and whether you can get out of bed, am I right in that?? I want to make sure that you indeed are a healthy young woman or young man, and enjoy as much freedom of movement as you should be able to enjoy. This I hope and pray is the way that you are ..... and that you do indeed enjoy as much health and happiness that is possible.

In the second place, you do not have the amount of money to do battle with the Corporations that make the Duragesic patches. They have already proved their products to the proper regulatory agencies and tested their products as is required by law. For you to think that you could recend these approvals would require $Millions$ of dollars, many years in court proceedings, and also many law suits from users such as I in your attempt at taking away the only medication that allows us to function. Yes, I would personally bring suit against you for your attempt, no matter how well intentioned it might be, of depriving me personally of the best pain reliever that I have found available to me. As I said .... no matter how well intentioned it might be you have no right to deprive me of *my* medication.

That being said ..... please don't continue to preach to us of the dangers of our medications. Inside every box of patches is a piece of paper reminding us of these dangers and we can not only read but our doctors have briefed us on these dangers and we have researched our medications fully on the web or we wouldn't be on this forum.

I deeply and respectfully suggest, for your own personal well being, that you *do* indeed find closure for your fathers death. It's a tragic occurance that you need to find a way to accept inside your heart and mind. But please, don't look for closure here in this forum. That's not what this forum has been created for, and won't serve you in the manner that you need. Your planned actions will bring you only more heartache on top of the pain that you have already experienced and continue to experience.

I hope you understand what I've shared even with my lack of spelling abilities ....... and once again I extend only the deepest of condolences for your loss. But I also hope you understand what you will continue to experience on this forum and why, and the personal financial loss that your actions will bring you in the future.

Blessings to you in your pain ........
    Dennis Staley

-- James Truslow Adams

quote:Originally posted by dstaley

Thanks
    First of all moodstar53, I want to extend my deepest condolences for the death of your father. When our parents are taken from us it's always a rough time, and when it's caused by incompetence it's even a worse thing. I understand .... because I lost both of my parents when I was very young. My mother when I was 12 and my father when I was 14. My mother was due to imcompetence during a surgery for the removal of cancer and my father while they were experimenting with Mustard Gas to treat cancer. It was a very rough time for me and I understand your need for closure.

But you have to understand something .... if I were to go on a support board for people undergoing cancer procedures and start to downgrade the only hope they have for survival due to my loss, I'd not get a very good reception.

This is what your experiencing. You've come to a support board for the only medication that we have found that releaves our specific medical conditions and that is prescribed by our doctors after much trial and error with other medications. Your trying to receive closure by warning us of our medications danger, side effects, and the abuse of this medication by some people and doctors.

I'm sure I speak for everyone here by once again extending our deepest condolences for your loss. But You have to understand that I'm sure your father would want you to move on with your life and not use your life in the effort to keep your loss alive and ongoing. You have to move on with your life and make it something that your father would be proud of.

I have to assure you here, that if your going to use your life to outlaw the use and prescription of Duragesic or Fentanyl ..... it's not going to happen. Set asside for one minute that everyone on this board uses it every day and we have finally found what we might in some way consider a "miracle drug". That being in quotes due to the fact that we don't believe in "miracle drugs" anymore than you do.

But in the first place ..... we've finally found something that allows us to function every day in much the same way that you do .... with relief of our pain and able to walk.

I take it that you are healthy and able to walk, aren't you? That your day is not ruled at first light by how much pain you'll have and whether you can get out of bed, am I right in that?? I want to make sure that you indeed are a healthy young woman or young man, and enjoy as much freedom of movement as you should be able to enjoy. This I hope and pray is the way that you are ..... and that you do indeed enjoy as much health and happiness that is possible.

In the second place, you do not have the amount of money to do battle with the Corporations that make the Duragesic patches. They have already proved their products to the proper regulatory agencies and tested their products as is required by law. For you to think that you could recend these approvals would require $Millions$ of dollars, many years in court proceedings, and also many law suits from users such as I in your attempt at taking away the only medication that allows us to function. Yes, I would personally bring suit against you for your attempt, no matter how well intentioned it might be, of depriving me personally of the best pain reliever that I have found available to me. As I said .... no matter how well intentioned it might be you have no right to deprive me of *my* medication.

That being said ..... please don't continue to preach to us of the dangers of our medications. Inside every box of patches is a piece of paper reminding us of these dangers and we can not only read but our doctors have briefed us on these dangers and we have researched our medications fully on the web or we wouldn't be on this forum.

I deeply and respectfully suggest, for your own personal well being, that you *do* indeed find closure for your fathers death. It's a tragic occurance that you need to find a way to accept inside your heart and mind. But please, don't look for closure here in this forum. That's not what this forum has been created for, and won't serve you in the manner that you need. Your planned actions will bring you only more heartache on top of the pain that you have already experienced and continue to experience.

I hope you understand what I've shared even with my lack of spelling abilities ....... and once again I extend only the deepest of condolences for your loss. But I also hope you understand what you will continue to experience on this forum and why, and the personal financial loss that your actions will bring you in the future.

Dennis Staley

-- James Truslow Adams
    Hi DStaley,
    Thank you for your condolences,

Now that said, I didn't realized this was a "support board" for those suffering from pain. The many other boards that I have visited was receptive to ALL remarks and posts, whether it was what you wanted to hear or not-I'm sorry for treading on "private" ground. I may have stated earlier that if there was anything I can do to get it removed from market, I would. Can you all stop thinking about yourself long enough to realize that as UNREALISTIC it is for me (AGAIN, ONE PERSON) MAY HAVE SAID THIS OUT OF HURT, ANGER AND ALL THE OTHER EMOTIONS ME AND MY FAMILY ARE EXPERIENCING. I guess none of you have said anything that was from any emotions. I do not experience chronic pain myself, however, it shows the difference in people in general, if I did, I personally would WANT to hear other's experiences, not attack someone just because their experience is different from mine. Next, I think you know that everyone does not think that Duragesic is so great, I have read many, many posts (at other sites) where people in pain, could not tolerate it, had terrible reactions to it, and some said they would rather deal with their pain than to EVER attempt to use it again. Trying to get off of it, according to SOME people, was also very bad; I'm just telling you what others have said. So you and others here need to realize that I'm not alone, I have gathered information since last year on the good and the bad issues of Duragesic, SO I'VE SEEN IT ALL, and trust me, there are many, many lawsuits, and complaints from this drug. I think you and others here know, when other drugs have been banned, it didn't happen from ONE PERSON'S COMPLAINT, it came from thousands and maybe more, who experinced adverse events, so lets be realistic here, I'm not stupid enought to think that I, (ONE PERSON), CAN GET IT BANNED. However, if asked, or for what my two cents is worth, let me say that my dad meant a lot more to me that those of you who are still ALIVE, whether you're experiencing pain or not. You can forget that if I ever have the OPPORTUNITY to say what I saw happen to my father, you can take it to the bank that I'm not holding anything back. This is why I felt compelled to report his death to the FDA, Janssen Pharma, as an adverse event--that's what they're there for. That's the least that I could do. So, when they talley up their "adverse events" numbers, somewhere in those number are "one" that stands for my father. As far as closure, I will get it, not from a lawsuit,but I will get it. You can't say that YOU KNOW what he would want me to do, he told us he felt like whatever was causing his shortness of breath would "take him away", also stating that he was not ready to die. I know my dad a little better than you, no, he would not want me tormented for the rest of my life, but HE WOULD want me expose what the doctor did, and do whatever I need to do that might help someone else. I regret ever posting here, since it was not well received and taken out of context so much. There is always good that comes from bad things in life. My statements to others (not here on this board) was well received--not to scare them, but everyone is not like most of you. There are those, especially with elderly parents/relatives, who APPRECIATED the things I said. You must remember, THE DRUG IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TO THE ELDERLY, these are the main people I'm concerned about, those that are old and many times has no say in what a doctor gives them. I care MOST OF ALL ABOUT THEM. I have not once told anyone to DISCONTINUE USING IT, and isn't stupid enough to say that. I don't mean to downplay the suffering all of you experience, but again, everone using the drug is not so in love with it. Duragesic has not been around too many years, all of you used something before it, all of you will use something after it, BUT, those who have died won't be back, they don't have that choice. Now, you don't know me, and you certainly don't know how much money I have. Vioxx, Bextra, and so many more drugs had been approved and was used by many who did not have bad experiences with it, but, there was obviously many many people who SUFFERED FROM IT and it was banned, by the COMPANY / FDA. Vioxx may be back now, not sure. Your threat to "bring suit against me" does not scare me, save your money for your fight,against the FDA or J&J, they, NOT ME, are the ones YOU and others would have to fight. I'm finished "preaching" as you referred to it--However, I didn't consider it "preaching." Go ahead with using your drug as long as you want, I feel truly blessed (and glad) that there is NOTHING, no drug, no person, no possession, that I feel so "attached" to, that I have to attack others when the threat of losing it is even "hinted" at. Read this carefully, I

Blessings to you,
    moodstar53

Thanks

Dennis Staley

-- James Truslow Adams
    Dennis,

Thank for your reasoned and eloquent posting.

Number 1, I am human, and I am not insensitive to the loss of parents or anyone so important to another human. Despite my ranting, I don't wish anyone bad things, certainly the loss of a parent (both my parents have passed on, my father not much more then a year ago). Truly one of lifes horrible experiences, I feel that way when anyone suffers a loss, it is a horrible thing. Yes..including moodstar, if your out there. I am sorry for you loss it is a horrible thing. I truly am.

I am no psychiatrist, but I do believe a few things contributed to my visceral reacation to moodstar. I have only been using the transdermal system for a little over a half year, thus I had 28 + plus years of agony. I am not going to go in to gruesonme details, those who have had similar experiences know where I am coming from, and those who have not, will never know. Despite what moodstar says, she will never know. To even mention a piece of >>>> druge like vioxx to those of us who have tried multiple medications over decades, just shows moodstar has no grasp of the issue. Yes, when your talking about the crippling pain I suffered for almost three decades...it is about me. No apology there....Never....Not gonna happen.

For the six or seven months I have been using the patch, I have felt better, have more of a life. I Suffer less. I will defend my right to use and obtain this medication under whatever strict guidelines are in place (as you know, this is already EXTREMELY tightly controlled)vociferously, strenuously and with militance if nescessary.

The relief from pain I have finally received is more then I ever imagined possible. Aside from my wife, the Best Thing That EVER HAPPENED TO ME. Thats all I have to say about that.

Moodstar, I apologize and do extend my condolences for your loss.

However I will defend my right to use this medication.

Thanks

Dennis Staley

-- James Truslow Adams
    Dennis,

Thank for your reasoned and eloquent posting.

Number 1, I am human, and I am not insensitive to the loss of parents or anyone so important to another human. Despite my ranting, I don't wish anyone bad things, certainly the loss of a parent (both my parents have passed on, my father not much more then a year ago). Truly one of lifes horrible experiences, I feel that way when anyone suffers a loss, it is a horrible thing. Yes..including moodstar, if your out there. I am sorry for you loss it is a horrible thing. I truly am.

I am no psychiatrist, but I do believe a few things contributed to my visceral reacation to moodstar. I have only been using the transdermal system for a little over a half year, thus I had 28 + plus years of agony. I am not going to go in to gruesonme details, those who have had similar experiences know where I am coming from, and those who have not, will never know. Despite what moodstar says, she will never know. To even mention a piece of >>>> druge like vioxx to those of us who have tried multiple medications over decades, just shows moodstar has no grasp of the issue. Yes, when your talking about the crippling pain I suffered for almost three decades...it is about me. No apology there....Never....Not gonna happen.

For the six or seven months I have been using the patch, I have felt better, have more of a life. I Suffer less. I will defend my right to use and obtain this medication under whatever strict guidelines are in place (as you know, this is already EXTREMELY tightly controlled)vociferously, strenuously and with militance if nescessary.

The relief from pain I have finally received is more then I ever imagined possible. Aside from my wife, the Best Thing That EVER HAPPENED TO ME. Thats all I have to say about that.

Moodstar, I apologize and do extend my condolences for your loss.

However I will defend my right to use this medication.
    Hi Paulie42652,
    moodstar53 here.

I'm not expecting any type of apology from anyone, like I stated, I'm also not apologizing for my feelings either. You stated Vioxx was a ">>>> drug", did you ever stop to think maybe, just maybe, many felt towards Vioxx the way you feel about Duragesic. In a nutshell, we must remember that everone don't get the same effects from the many drugs out there. Vioxx helped me a few years ago with what I consider probably "minor" pain compared to what most of you experience. Vioxx knocked out my back and side pain 15 minutes after taking it. Even then, when I was prescribed it, I heeded to what my doctor said, "Do not take it for extended periods of time." Now, years later, I hear of all the potential for strokes and heart attacks from it, and yes, deaths, and I'm glad I didn't use it every time I had this pain, again I'm sure mine could not compare to yours. Again, all of you, USE IT, USE IT, USE IT!! I'm sick of repeating myself that I'm NOT TRYING TO TAKE ANYONE'S RIGHTS AWAY FROM THEIR CHOICE OF USING IT.
    Go to cafepharm.com, see what Janssen's own sales reps say about it. It is comforting to get remarks from a (few) who summed it up for me, the prescribing doctor was ignorant and negligent in prescribing it to my dad, and then didn't monitor him at all, and blatantly IGNORED the side effects he witnessed, along with us. One rep stated that the doctor will "have a difficult time" explaining to the medical board for his actions. These people sell the drug for a living, and even some of them mentions the potential for bad results, they know about it probably better than doctors, they have to be educated on it to sell it to doctors and hospitals. Money is also an issue here, it is an expensive drug, and I have to wonder if there are doctors who prescribe it, knowing people are going to get "addicted" so they and the company can keep stuffing their fat pockets. By the way, there are more and more reports of doctors doing just that.

Thank you for your condolences,
    moodstar53

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Vioxx is used for mild to moderate pain.It is an anti-inflammatory and can't be compare to a narcotic like fenranyl.It's apples and oranges.........Dave

quote:Originally posted by mpvt

Vioxx is used for mild to moderate pain.It is an anti-inflammatory and can't be compare to a narcotic like fenranyl.It's apples and oranges.........Dave
    Hi Dave,
    I know this--read my first paragraph AGAIN. The gist of that statement was let the other poster know that maybe there are those who felt towards Vioxx the way he/or she felt towards Duragesic; to break it down more, I'm sure there are many people who didn't like it when it was removed. (shish!!!. . .) I know what Vioxx is (having been on it myself) and I know what Duragesic is, probably better than most of you since I have done EXTENSIVE RESEARCH SINCE LAST SEPTEMBER.

See Ya

Moodstar, while I most certainly offer my condolences on the death of your father....this is NO drug on the market, that couldn't be deadly if not propoly prescribed, taken and monitored. Tylonal... if taken in excess...will damage the liver. Aspirin will make you bleed to death. Would you see theses removed from the market also?
    Your father had a bad docyor...not a bad drug...and from the sound of your last coupple of letters...you dear are suffering from Tom Cruz syndrome!

Go to cafepharm.com, see what Janssen's own sales reps say about it.
    Moodstar53, where on http://www.cafepharm.com would that be? That site is just a collection of "Sponsored Links" and "Top Sites". Where to buy and things like that.

Case in point, under the "Forum" selection all that I find listed is:
    Discreet Adult Personals at HotMatchup, Webdate.com - Free Personals, RedHot Dateline Phone Dating Chat Line, Where Local Girls Go Wild, Dating is Safe and Easy at Date.com, Meet Local Sexy Singles and Free 5-Day Trial Membership - LoveAccess listed under the Top Sites section.

Could you post a link here concerning what Janssen's own sales reps have to say about our medication that would be different than what's on their web site or in our documentation? I find everything on their menu selections points to some pretty off the wall web sites, nothing much pointing to serious information.

Later ....
    dstaley

-- James Truslow Adams

quote:Originally posted by RONNIE LECKOW

Moodstar, while I most certainly offer my condolences on the death of your father....this is NO drug on the market, that couldn't be deadly if not propoly prescribed, taken and monitored. Tylonal... if taken in excess...will damage the liver. Aspirin will make you bleed to death. Would you see theses removed from the market also?
    Your father had a bad docyor...not a bad drug...and from the sound of your last coupple of letters...you dear are suffering from Tom Cruz syndrome!

Ronnie, Call me Tome Cruise or whoever. . . It's Saturday and one of my sisters called a while ago and told me to catch CNN's story about the Duragesic Patch and how the FDA is warning those using it, 120 possible accidental deaths report" (Im sure this number will rise). Now, I'm feeling a little joy in a way, because I have always known that it was a matter of time before information about the dangers of the patch would become a "national" story. I was told by another poster earlier that this board is a "support" board for chronic pain sufferers, and I'm not. I see no reason to keep repeating myself and so many twisting what I have posted, I guess you're just not good readers. I am tired of this exchange, so you folks are free to gone on with YOUR messages to each. I will use my energy and time to continue on with what I HAVE TO DO FOR MY DAD, which is file a complaint against the doctor for prescribing negligently, this will help my family with some form of closure and maybe bring peace to my dad, who knew whatever was happening to him was something very different from usual ailments. If anyone wants to e-mail (only intelligent statements!) it is ewalker@netpath.net. I hope the best for all of you who genuinely suffer.

I hope you find peace after you have your revenge, which seems to be what you are after. You truly care nothing about those of us who find relief in this medication and your words need not be twisted to see that. Interesting observation, when my 80 some year old father is in the hospital, I always make sure what he is prescribed is proper treatment. And I ask questions. I am sorry you didn't do that. And I suppose you are, too.

md2003 is offline New Member

Moodstar, sorry for your loss. You say "I see no reason to keep repeating myself". Easy to solve.........just quit repeating yourself, problem solved.
    I wish u all the luck in the world in your quest for revenge, now please move on!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast