Drug profits infect medical studies
    bn7
    bn7 is offline Member

Default Drug profits infect medical studies

Drug profits infect medical studies

"Why shouldn't we be surprised? Because over the last 25 years, clinical research has been largely privatized. Three-quarters of the clinical studies published in the three most respected medical journals (the New England Journal of Medicine, the Journal of the American Medical Assn. and the Lancet) are now commercially funded. As a result, our medical knowledge grows not in the direction that best improves our health but toward corporate profits, the way that plants grow toward sunlight.

This wasn't always so. Before 1980, most medical studies were publicly funded, and most academic researchers scorned industry support. Now, however, the vast majority of clinical trials are commercially funded, and with the financial stakes so high, there is mounting evidence of individual scientists and corporations manipulating their findings."

read more
    http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...mment-opinions

justwhatever is offline Member

thanks for the info., this topic has always really interested me

this forum is about helping and healing-- feel free to correct my mistakes

pharmd06 is offline Member

remember, drug trials are reviewed by the fda for safety prior to being published in journals. try right now to find a published phase III trial on the new drug Eraxis. you are not going to find it, but i know it was not edited prior to fda rewiew.

sick people take medication. sick people die. just because sick people on medication die, it does not mean it was the medication. if a drug company can prove that a death during a trial is due to other causes or even unknown causes it can be hidden in statistics and rightfully so. the fundamental basis of evidence based medicine allows people to live longer and happier lives.

zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

Wow, pharmd06, you have a serious love for the pharmaceutical industry and a serious problem with accepting some truths about it, even when the reports and evidence are placed right in front of your face for your perusal.

I readily admit, there are some companies who legitmately follow ever step for drug development, testing and approval, but there are even more who don't. Start searching online and reading more studies and reports about it. The information is available for anyone to find if they want to find and acknowledge it.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~

Does anyone know what are the two leading causes of death in America? what was the leading causes of death 50 years ago? why is there such a shift in what now causes death? what was the average life span of an american male 50 years ago versus today?

Miles is offline Member

pharmd06:

Let me take a whack at your interrogatory. #1 is heart disease. #2 is cancer. #3 is "death by a doctor," with nearly a quarter million deaths per year, about half of which are attributable to the negative effects of prescription drugs.

You may tout your chosen profession all you wish, but some of us know PHARMA's true mission. We are not fooled by the folderol spewed at us by the drug industry.

Miles

mr. davis (miles)
    you did not answer the question completely and therefore missed the point.

i am going to have to see a creditable source for your death ratings...

bn7
    bn7 is offline Member

pharmd06,

I suppose we are to forget about advances in technology, agriculture, and workplace safety ……as having anything to do with longevity as it is all down to pharmaceuticals.

people have the right to know the truth about what they put into their body. but i have to play the devils advocate here because every post is about why the drug industry is bad. you can say that i have a one sided opinion, but the only reason i am making posts is because all of your comments are one sided. maybe try making some positive posts.

i once had a patient that had breast cancer. she had a small mass with possible lymph node involvement. her treatment plan was to have the breast removed and then adjunct chemo. she considered the operation but refused chemo. her reason was "she had read on the internet that you can't trust drugs and drug companies". she left my place of practice and went to a homeopathic doc that gave her herbal treatment. three years later she returned to the hospital and i saw her again. she was sick with metastatic cancer. she died 6 weeks later. if she had not refused the original treatment she would have had about a 90percent survival rate (chance) and a possible cure.

my point is that people read these posts and stop taking their medications and that causes serious problems. one of the biggest struggles in medicine is getting people to take their meds. i can't claim that any of these posts are false, but they are not doing anybody any favors.

You are very correct pharmd, there are positive sides to the pharmaceutical industry as well. As I said in my other post to you, if it weren't for pharmaceuticals, I would not be functioning and taking care of my family every day, because I would not be able to get of bed.

There are positive and negatives to every industry in the world, from food to vehicles. A practical stand point has to look at both sides and evenly weigh the issues against each other.

I do not like everything about the pharmaceutical industry, but they serve a wonderful purpose in this world, many people would not have the quality of life or the longevity that they enjoy, if it weren't for pharmaceuticals and the new advancements they make every day.

This is one of those unfortunate things were a few bad apples makes someone toss out the whole bushel. My father is 77 and has high blood pressure, I sure wouldn't want him to stop taking his Coumadin because he read of problems with some companies, they are not all day.

Even in the post I made about generics, the problems lie with a few companies out of the thousands that are out there.

bn, however, is against any reliance on pharmaceuticals, he had some very traumatic experiences that gave him good reason to be that way.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~

Miles is offline Member

pharmd06:

I hope you pay more attention to your dispensing of prescription drugs than you apparently did to most of the posts on this subject.

My postings and those of bn7 focus on those psychiatric drugs prescribed and dispensed for every conceivable problem in living. Our "one-sided" posts are grounded in human experiences and scientific data. They reflect our sentiments (if I may speak for bn7) and are in no way motivated by financial gain, a la the drug industry.

When I was in training many moons ago, most people knew better: They recognized that mental hospitals were prisons not medical hospitals and called them "snake pits." They knew that psychiatrists were jailers, not healers.

Since then, the image of psychiatry has become transformed from the administration of snake pits to the prescription of psychiatric miracle drugs. It is another con-game. Antipsychotic drugs resemble antibiotic drugs like mental hospitals resemble medical hospitals, that is, not at all. The name of the game is still coercion.

A few decades ago, mental patients could be confined only in mental hospitals. Now, they can be confined in drug-induced disability as well, a punishment called "outpatient commitment."

Another lamentable development is the claim that millions of children suffer from a mental illness called "attention deficit hyperactivity disorder" (ADHD) and that Ritalin - administered to the child often against the will of the parent - is a treatment for it. Of course, it is always administered against the will of the child. What child wants to be stigmatized as crazy?

When school authorities tell a mother that her son is sick and needs to be on drugs, how is she to know that that's a lie? How is she to know that what experts call Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder is not a disease? Bedazzled by psychiatric jargon, she does not realize that diagnoses are not diseases.

She is not expert in the history of psychiatry. She does not know that psychiatrists have always used diagnostic terms to stigmatize and control people -- for example:

* black slaves who ran away to freedom suffered from drapetomania;
    * women who rebelled against being controlled by men suffered from hysteria;
    * until only a few years ago, men and women who engaged in sexual acts with members of their own sex suffered from the dread disease of homosexuality.

Of course, none of those behaviors was a disease. Nor is Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder a disease.

No behavior or misbehavior is a disease or can be a disease. There is no mental disease. Period. Yet, the medicalization of virtually every problem in living runs rampant in Western culture. I am not so naive as to ignore the drug industry's role in this cultural shift in attitudes.

Miles

P.S. Miles Davis is dead! So please refrain for addressing me as such.

5280 feet-

i personally don't dispense prescriptions i am a clinician.

I don't have a great deal of faith in the psych system either. i tend to think of it as a bunch of biopsychosocial b.s. but you can't deny the existance of things such as norepinephrine or seratonin. there is a book called the DSM IV that you may want to look into.

your claims ARE one sided because you only focus on negative aspects. most scholarly journals are not published on the internet and unless you are in the health field you do not have access to them therefore i question your "scientific data". of course you are going to find articles about all the bad things that occur with the use of these meds because the press jumps at them. remember, this original post is from the la times...

you sound like a scientologist. maybe you should go to an AA meeting and anounce that alcoholism is not a disease.

pharmd, I wanted to ask what you think of Oxycontin? I have used it with no problems, as have many other people. But of course, if you search online, you find all the horror stories, and I have noticed one thing in common among all of them, when someone dies from using it, more often than not due to abusing the drug, taking more than what was prescribed, by snorting it or whatever, they blame everyone EXCEPT the person who, by their own actions, did this to themselves.

They blame the drug companies and FDA for making it, approving it, and allowing such a "dangerous" drug to be on the market. They blame the doctors who prescribed it, thinking these people had legitimate pain issues and needed help, they should have known better than to prescribe it to these people and etc.

Personally, I am tired of everyone being a victim and not wanting to take responsibility for their own actions.

Miles is offline Member

Pharmd06:

(5,280 feet equate to one “mile” only.) I am in the heath field, so I have access to the universe of literature.

Don’t lecture me about the DSM-IV. I am all too familiar with its tripe.

The DSM has led to the unnecessary drugging of millions of American children who could be diagnosed, treated, and cured without the use of toxic and potentially lethal medications. The nonscientific approach used to create DSM leads to irrational and constantly changing diagnostic criteria: a patient might be perfectly normal according to one version of DSM and mentally ill by the standards of the next. (For instance, ‘narcissistic personality disorder’—used to describe vain people who are self-centered and frequently take advantage of others—was a DSM ‘diagnosis’ until 1968. It was eliminated from the version used between 1968 and 1980, when it was reinstated. Thus, a self-centered, vain person was ‘mentally ill’ before 1968, normal for the next twelve years, and then ‘mentally ill’ again after 1980.).

There has never been any criterion that psychiatric diagnoses require a demonstrated biological etiology.

In the absence of validating conceptions like the six mechanisms of disease in internal medicine, American psychiatry has turned to “committees of experts” to define mental disorder. Membership on such committees is a mater of one’s reputation in the APA—which means that those chosen can confidently be expected to manifest not only a requisite degree of psychiatric competence but, perhaps more crucially, some talent for diplomacy and self-promotion.

The new DSM approach of using experts and descriptive criteria in identifying psychiatric diseases has encouraged a productive industry. If you can describe it, you can name it; and if you can name it, then you can claim it exists as a distinct “entity” with, eventually, a direct treatment tied to it. Proposals for new psychiatric disorders have multiplied so feverishly that the DSM itself has grown from a mere 119 pages in 1968 to 886 in the latest edition; a new and enlarged edition, DSM-V, is already in the planning stages. Embedded within these hundreds of pages are some categories that are dubious, in the sense that they are more like the normal responses of sensitive people than psychiatric “entities”; and some that are purely the inventions of their proponents.

The DSM diagnostic system has outlived its usefulness by about two decades. It should be abandoned, not revised.

No, I am not a scientologist. Yes, I will announce anywhere, any time, that alcoholism is NOT a disease! Show me the lesion!

Miles (Not “Mile”)

zippy-
    well as you know oxy is indicated for chronic pain. bc of the short duration of action of oxycodone (and even shorter morphine), doctors/pharma wanted an easier reigiment for the patient. the idea behind oxycontin is to control pain without the person constantly worried about taking meds or missing doses.

the problem with oxy or any controlled release formulated drug is that if used improperly it will "dose dump" and you get all the drug at once. i would assume that the fda was naive about oxy being diverted and did not realize the potential. when someone crushes it, snorts it and dies, it is kinda their own fault but they don't always know the risk.

Miles is offline Member

pharmd06:

Cause and effect? I think not!

NIAA? You cite its tommyrot yet intimate the zaniness of Scientology? Confusing indeed!

Miles

The risk is clearly stated on patient advisory papers if they would just read them, though they should perhaps go into more detail.

My MIL has been a nurse for 34 years now, she always has many OD horror stories to tell.

zippy-

zippy- did you get my email?

well i think that the OD cases seen in the emergency rooms and on things like 20/20 refer to people who take diverted oxy and never read anything about it. does your mother-in-law see actual patients in the hospital OD on prescribed oxy?

bn7
    bn7 is offline Member

pharmd06,

Alcoholism is a disease. LOL

You can’t just stop real diseases like diabetes or cancer by choice but you certainly can stop alcoholism. I have many friends that have done so. Real disease can’t be stopped by abstinence.

My father, who was a diabetic, would have loved to be able to decide to stop his diabetes through abstinence.

Take your brain images, your disease mongering and shove it pharmd06.

somewhere during evolution the brain must have become flawless. too bad the pancreas did not have such luck.

bn7
    bn7 is offline Member

Selling sickness: the pharmaceutical industry and disease mongering.

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/conte...l/324/7342/886

No pharmd, sorry, I did not get any email from you.

Oh, and no, she was talking about people who abuse it, such as snorting it, or breaking/chewing it to defeat the time release.

bn7
    bn7 is offline Member

Why Most Published Research Findings Are False
    http://medicine.plosjournals.org/per...l.pmed.0020124

bn7
    bn7 is offline Member

quote:Originally posted by pharmd06

remember, drug trials are reviewed by the fda for safety prior to being published in journals.
    FDA Staff Travels on Drug Industry Dollars

http://www.publicintegrity.org/rx/pr...y.aspx?aid=792

the FDA is in bed with the drug companies and couldn't care less about safety.