Is cold turkey safe for me??
    Destine2befree is offline New Member

Default Is cold turkey safe for me??

I have been struggling with vicodin,and oxy going on three years now..I really want to get off this **** but have tried and failed many times.I have been on a 6 month run this time and I remember the horrible sickness thst is to come.I eat 25 to thirty v,s a day and if i dont have those i have the 15mlg oxy and put down 10 to fifteen.I crush and snort these and am really scared of dying one day.My wife is fed up and i just want to be me again.This monkey on my bak is hammering me mentally,emotionally,physically and financially.I on the verge of loosing my job,as well as my marriage.I am on thin ice at work so rehab i couldnt do..Can I make it through the sickness??I need help bad.Any input would be greatly appriciated....Thanks

Baby Steps is offline Senior Member

quote:Originally posted by Destine2befree

I have been struggling with vicodin,and oxy going on three years now..I really want to get off this **** but have tried and failed many times.I have been on a 6 month run this time and I remember the horrible sickness thst is to come.I eat 25 to thirty v,s a day and if i dont have those i have the 15mlg oxy and put down 10 to fifteen.I crush and snort these and am really scared of dying one day.My wife is fed up and i just want to be me again.This monkey on my bak is hammering me mentally,emotionally,physically and financially.I on the verge of loosing my job,as well as my marriage.I am on thin ice at work so rehab i couldnt do..Can I make it through the sickness??I need help bad.Any input would be greatly appriciated....Thanks

Hello and Welcome Destined! If c/t (cold turkey) is your only option you can do it. I am on day 3 right now and your post really bothers me. I'm afraid if you don't take this step to get off these pills you will hit a very bad bottom. Losing your wife, job and life are 3 very serious destinations. If you go into the Painkiller Addictions thread you will find a ton of support and information on what to expect as well as what to do to make it easier on you in the process. There is also something called sub to help you through the withdrawal even though it is a drug it will ease the w/d while you get off your doc (drug of choice).

Please stick with this and consider getting off this right away. I am on day 3 of withdrawal and I can say I've suffered a lot less because of the advice I've taken from the awesome people over there and the support they've given me. If you choose the way I'm doing it (c/t) from a vic and morphine addiction, you'll need to have Imodium AD, start a strong multivitamin a week prior, lots of water, at least 4 days off from the world where you can stay in bed without any responsibilities, ES Excedrin (2 every 3 hours) and a night aid which I use Melatonin (natural over the counter) but others use prescribed Ambien etc... and a nice comfy bed to stay in. Usually after 3-4 days the physical part is bearable.

Again, I can't stress enough: You must get this started and head over to the thread I mentioned for support. Believe it or not your addiction pales in comparison to many who have done it.

Please keep me updated on how you are.

You will be in my prayers!!!

Hugz,

Baby Steps to a Normal Life

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

In your case I would suggest buprenorphene(subutex,suboxone).With you working and so on a cold turkey isn't going to be easy and you have relapsed every time so I'd throw that idea out for now.You can read up on suboxone(buprenorphene) at www.suboxone.com and there you will also find a doctor locator.Get a list of prescribing doctors in your area and start phoning for an appointment.This drug is and has help thousand apon thousands of people just like yourself.You will be able to work,play with your kids,talk to your wife ect.It will let you feel normal again,no withdrawls and no cravings.That's my suggestion anyway.Good luck to you and keep us up on what's happening......Dave

Thanks Mvbt&Baby steps.This fourum is awesome!This is the first time that I have told anyone my story and what im going through and someone can acutally relate to where im at.My little woman tries but not being dependant on them or have a problem,it is hard for her to understand.Here is where im at though.I had 8 vicodin on january 9th(tuesday)and snorted 3 fifteen mlg oxycodone.went without till thursday the 11th when I did 1 twenty mlg oxycodone.Friday I did none(Except a little energy drink callled 5-hour energy in a little red bottle.which was bomb cause it actually made me feel great..)Actually on friday night I got 6 ten mlg methadone pills.I took 2 1/2 ON friday night and ate three on saturday.I have decided that methadone is going to be a whole new can of worms so I aint even gonna go there.Bottom line is I have had 1 opiaute in the last three days.Have I masked the pain with the metadone??Or am I still in for a few days and nights of living hell??I have to go back to work tommorow so I hope I dont feel like poop.I am a commericial journeyman carpenter with a lot of responsibility and people to lead and cant afford to be a burned out zombie.Any clue on if I am going to melt here shortly?You guys are bomb and I appriciate all your help.Thanks and will check back here for imput.thanks...Jeff

Hey Jeff... I'm glad you found us too!! And thanks for the info on that energy drink... I will have to try that when I head back to work on Tuesday. I took 4 days off (actually only 1 because I always work from home on Fridays so I only have to take Monday off for the flu... wink wink... LOL)

Now as far as your lack of w/d... all I can think of is that I've learned from this board that methadone has a long half life so this might be why you haven't gone through w/d yet but you didn't mention how long you were using prior to your decision. This has a lot to do with the length of w/d you'll go through from what I hear.

Please don't go back though... Hang in there... Maybe you could do what I did and that was get so much work done ahead of time so it wouldn't affect my job duties when I had to take the day off. I also was able to do a lot of my work at home... Is this an option for you? You just have so much to lose if you don't hang in there and I don't want you to have to deal with that because it would probably cause you to go deeper and deeper into your addiction and you certainly don't want to have to live like that. It seems like you have so much to lose.

Like MVPT says, there is something called suboxone that would help with the w/d but again it is something you would have to get off of as well. I think you should be able to get what you can get done at work on say Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday and probably by Wednesday you will be obvious with flu symptoms so take Thursday-Sunday to go through w/d and by Monday you should be physically fine to function... of course you won't be 100% but you'll get through. It's the mental game that will torture you. You just have to stay strong and fight the easy way. You are right about your Fiance' not understanding but she will be supportive because she knows you are doing this to better yourself for your future w/her. I'd even have her read the stories on the Painkiller Addiction site to help her to understand from other points of view what to expect.

Just know Jeff... It will get better!!! You can do it!!!! If I can and I run a multi million dollar business... you can too!!! We don't realize our strength until we are put to the test. I will pray for your strength and peace through this as I suggest you do as well. God is very faithful and oh so forgiving... trust me.

Please stay in touch constantly Jeff... I will be here always!!!

Hugz,

Baby Steps to a Normal Life

Hey Jeff I just read where you've been on this for 3 years and that's not a huge amount of time so your physical w/d should only be what I said in my post. 3-5 days but then like I said it's followed by the mental... Be careful!!

Hey guy(baby steps).You are very encouraaging to me and i thank you so much for helping me...Iam cold turkeyn it today(beside the little energy drink)And I feel ok.Im perched on the couch watching motocross but its sunday and thats what im supposed to do.Not eat dollar bills and worry about my supply for the next week.I still have one methadone pill left but that is my last resort.I actually have no desire to do it.As far as work,I have to proform and no one knows what I am going through.(I work for a very drug free company)Anyway thanks again.By the way,Im sorry for being so selfish in not asking how you are doing with your w/d?are you feeling confident to kill your monkey 2?You seem like a very strong knowlegeable guy.

Hey guy(baby steps).You are very encouraaging to me and i thank you so much for helping me...Iam cold turkeyn it today(beside the little energy drink)And I feel ok.Im perched on the couch watching motocross but its sunday and thats what im supposed to do.Not eat dollar bills and worry about my supply for the next week.I still have one methadone pill left but that is my last resort.I actually have no desire to do it.As far as work,I have to proform and no one knows what I am going through.(I work for a very drug free company)Anyway thanks again.By the way,Im sorry for being so selfish in not asking how you are doing with your w/d?are you feeling confident to kill your monkey 2?You seem like a very strong knowlegeable guy.
    Hey Jeff!! I'm so glad you are feeling ok... and I'm a girl... But you wouldn't know that cuz my screen name could be both. But I totally understand the sitting in front of the TV on Sundays watching MotorX as I have 2 boys and an ex husband who sucked me in to doing the same thing! LOL And your right... It's better than spending your paycheck on pills and worrying about where you're going to get your weeks worth... Smart Guy you are.

It sounds like you're doing great!!! I'm jealous!! Not really... I'm actually very happy for you. Me, I'm pushing on to day 4!!! Yes!!! 1 Step closer to feeling better.

I'm glad you have a back up plan... But I think you would have already had some kind of w/d by now so this is good news!!! So Far!! Did you use daily?

Ok Jeff... my vision is getting pretty blurry right now (this has been happening off and on all day) so I'll stop now but please let me know how everything works out and if you just need someone to talk to I'm here!! [8D]

Hugz,

Baby Steps

Hi baby steps.How are you ??Im ok.Iam doing better than i thought I would.I ended up eat in 1/2 a methadone today cause i started to feel really sick.But better than the 25 to 30 vicodin a day I am used to(yes I have been a daily user for a year and a half to 2 years.Iam feeling confident and girl is being really suppotive.She even told me she was proud of me today and that felt better than any pill high.Ill keep you posted o my condition but hopefully it will get better and not worse.Thanks baby steps

That's Awesome!!! I knew she'd be proud of you! That just somehow makes even the worst feeling a lot better. I think the Methadone must be keeping you back from w/d but if not... That's great!! If you can somehow escape this. Hey maybe it's that kickas* power drink you drank... Hmmm I'm telling ya... I'm getting some tomorrow... I hope they sell it here cause I've never heard of it... I hope!

I'm feeling better now than I did this morning that's for sure. It was beautiful outside here today and I hate that I wasted it here in this bed... So unlike me but soon... very soon... I'll be back out doing 180 mph again! [8D]

You sound great... Hit me back tomorrow and let me know how your day at work goes. And maybe grab you some heavy duty vitamins to start taking now just in case. I'd rather be over prepared than under prepared for sure. I'll bet your Fiance' is very happy right now and probably or rather more than likely willing to do whatever it takes to help you beat this and that is great!

I hope you Have a Great Day tomorrow... let me know! Hang in There!! You were on quite a heavy dose before. It just amazes me at how much the body can take... You must be a strong guy!

Hugz and Prayers,

Baby Steps to a Normal Life [8D]

tom316 is offline Member

Jeff,baby steps asked me to jump over here.I have been where you are at but worse.I got started on lorcet,at my worst I could take 120 in 2 to 3 days.Also I've snorted the 15mg or 30mg roxy's(that what we call them)There's not too much that I haven't done.If you keep this up you are going to lose everything.I know my story is getting old but I'll tell you the short version:I was addicted to pills,went to the methadone clinic(mistake),lost job,going to lose family,suicide attempt Dec.7,2006 (took 64 sleeping pills),should be dead but for wahtever reason i didn't die,x-mas went cold turkey from 100 mg of Methadone,day 24 being clean! Jeff please tuff the w/d out.there is no reason that you need to get addicted to another drug that you're going to go through w/d again.I know w/d sux but you will get through it! last year I was at the same place you are at.Make the choice now to beat this for you,your wife and everyone else that is in your life. hang in there,you will do it!

Thanks Tom!! You are such a sweetheart! Hey Destin... I know Tom's story and felt he reminded me a little of you. I figured he might be able to give you a few words from experience. I hope you are doing ok? How was your day today? Did you get through it ok or did you have to use? No matter what happened... I am still here and always will be if you ever need to chat. You are going to go through a lot of ups and downs... But ultimately your options are limited if you want any kind of a normal life with your awesome Fiance' etc...

Please stay in touch!! [8D]

Hugz,

Baby Steps!!!

You can reasd how my day went (pretty interesting) today over on the painkillers addiction site,.. It's way too much to post again... LOL

Take Care

hey Tom,Thanks for your encouraging words.Im feeling ok today.A little w/d but I have ambien to help me sleep.Today i had a 1/4 of a methadone(Which was the last of it)And tommorow will be totally cold turkey.I hear 2 much bad **** about methadone.I have been pretty much addicted to everything in my life.I have been to treatment 3 times.Once for crank.Another for meth and crack,then a 3rd time for crack and meth again.spent a good amount of time in a in-patient program as well as out patient.Alcohol has been a big contribution to my problems in the life.Pills kind of sneeked up on me and I originally got them for pain.Next thing I know Im eating them like candy,Spending hunreds of dollars a week buying them off the street,finding all the ways to get higher off a pill,snorting,s****ing all the time realease off.Just crazy dope phene ****!!Im so sick of chasing it,feeeling like garbage,letting it take over my life..Iam so done.I thank everyone who has helped me with storys,knowledge and facts.I think I am through the worst(hopefully)All though I can feel the pains coming as we speak But I can handle it.I refuse to be a weak wuss and give in....Thanks again and I will let ya know my progress....Jeff

tom316 is offline Member

Jeff,I will help you in anyway I can! Our stories are so much the same.I'm just a bit further than what you are right now.Remember these things! Your body will try to trick you,every pain you have will feel 20 times worse than what it is! it wants the methadone or whatever.It's going to get to the point that you want to go nutz or use. chose nutz! also the organs in your body will hold methadone so real withdrawl doesn't start until 3 or 4 days later. days 9 & 10 were hell for me! they say withdrawl from Methadone can last 4 to 7 weeks. pills are 3 to 5 days! I'm on day 24 and have felt okay for pretty much the last week. If I can do it so can you! If you need some one to talk to hit me up! I'll turn my email on on my profile if you need me you got me! Good luck,you'll do it if you want too!

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Hang in there Jeff,you sound like you have a good head on your shoulders.The next few days are not going to be fun but once you get through them you'll feel alot better.Then we have to work on the mental aspect of your addiction which takes a little more discipline.Good luck and check in as often as you feel like.......Dave

MrSmuthertits is offline New Member

Well... This sounds all too familiar. One word. Suboxone. That is really the Miracle drug of the last 100 years. If it could fix my problem, it'll fix ANYONE. For over 2 years, I took 10-15, 80mg Oxycontin's per day. I beg anyone here to find someone with a bigger addiction than me. I'm sure i've broken the record on this site. Thats generally over 1gram of Oxycodone per day. At my peak, I'd take 20, 80mg pills a day. I went from that, to ZERO opiates within 6 weeks with Suboxone. So, Again, GET on Suboxone. GOod luck!

Ruthie100 is offline New Member

Hi, Destined:

I really agree with the advice already given. Please get some help. And do not feel embarrassed in any way. I made the drastic mistake of abusing my pain meds and went up to forty Percocet a day. Then I started Oxycontin and chewed them. I look back now and am relieved to be alive.

You have way too much to lose. I will post my story after I get some much needed sleep. Hang in there. Keep posting. I hope to see you and hear how you are doing. When I read posts like yours, I feel I am looking at a shadowy reflection of myself in the past ... and it scares me to the bone.

I got off of the Percs and other junk by finding an addiction and chronic pain specialist who put me on Buprenorphine. I would not be writing if I had not found Buprenex. There are many different methods for detoxing, and a good doctor will help you. Best of luck.

-Ruth

mama2three is offline New Member

I wish I knew about this forum last year. When I stopped taking Vicodin after surgery, it did take three days, then I was pretty much okay. What made it worse was I took it with my anti depressants so I was getting more of that with the Vicodin if that makes sense. So I was never sure which was worse.

I know that if a drug can do something to the chemistry of your brain, then you can also have those feelings without the drug but it takes time.

I still have pain from the surgery, so bad at times I can't walk or carry my kids around. I take advil PM and Tylenol. Occasionally Valium from my dentist. I also have severe chest pain and TMJ but I have guilt that they will think I'm just wanting the drugs. Really, I just want to not have the pain.

Good luck to you!

fuzzyblob is offline New Member

What you've got to tell yourself when you slip up and take it again is that it doesn't mean you can't quit, it doesn't mean you have to start taking tons again that day, just recognise that you slipped that one time and double your resolve not to take it again in the future.

About your work - you might be surprised, telling them you want to go into rehab might possibly be exactly what they want to hear from you! Try asking a colleague who you know well in confidence what they think.

lebre56 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Destine2befree View Post
    you have to cut down slowly. as of yesterday was trying to quit cold turkey. contacted my doctor and she told me i cant cut off straight like that. i have arthritis and right now in a cast for basil arthritis in hand. had chills/sweats, fluish feelings, cant sleep etc. every two days she said to cut down a little more..you wont feel high, but at least you will feel a heck of a lot more normal...believe in yourself, babe and be stubborn..we are stronger than we think we are.

lebre56 is offline Junior Member

no,you have to cut down slowly. as of yesterday was trying to quit cold turkey. contacted my doctor and she told me i cant cut off straight like that. i have arthritis and right now in a cast for basil arthritis in hand. had chills/sweats, fluish feelings, cant sleep etc. every two days she said to cut down a little more..you wont feel high, but at least you will feel a heck of a lot more normal...believe in yourself, babe and be stubborn..we are stronger than we think we are.

kevin9494 is offline Member

Default Hi Destin/Baby steps

Hi guys,

I think that's so awesome that you guys support each other like that. I really helps to have someone supporting you at home or anywhere. I to was addicted to oxycontin for about 3 years. When I couldn't get to oxies anymore I started >>>>>>. I made a decision to go to a methadone clinic (BIGGEST MISTAKE I EVER MADE IN MY LIFE) I spent $12,000 in 3 years going to the methadone clinic. I finally dosed down to 20 mgs and switched over to suboxone. Suboxone saved my life. I too am willing to do whatever to help anyone I can. If anyone needs to talk to anyone my email is snoclaf94@msn.com. Thanks. Kevin.

understander is offline New Member

Wink Understand

Quote Originally Posted by Destine2befree View Post
    Hello,

I am Vicky clean for two weeks now. I have been taking up to 4.5 Vicks a day for 13 months. I have a neck issue. Due to the fact of the amount you are taking, it would be biologically impossible for you to go "cold-turkey". Do not try that. You would put your body into shock. It is easier to kick then people make it sound. Yeah, while you are kicking, you will have a few sleepless nights as well as the sweats. The worst are the involuntary muscle spasms, but believe when I tell you....you can easily kick this.

I should take you nine (9) weeks to kick it. Here is how.
    Week one: Cut down to 20 a day
    Week Two:15
    Week 3: 12
    Week 4: 10
    Week 5: 5-6
    Week 6: 3
    Week 7: 1.5
    Week 8: 1
    Week 9: Gut the few sleepness nights and beleive me.....you can do it!

Three things to remember:
    First: You must want to kick this ********. Every pill you take, hurts you...every!
    Second: Please, whatever you do, don't try to convince yourself that it is O.K. to justtake one more or that because you took 20 yesterday, you can take 25 today.
    Three: You will have a few sleepness nights...so just face the facts on that.

Man, I know you can beat this. I would love to see how your weeks go by.

Someone who has been there and beat it!

Robert_325 is offline Retired

The original poster Jeff hasn't posted on the forum since January of 2007. Doubt he will receive your advice even though you had the best of intentions. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

itzmyworld is offline Banned

Default You are NOT the ONLY one

I am just where you are...For Christ sake I am a functioning addict...I am a psychology student, a single parent, and I work...I got on these pills for teeth problems that I took care of immediately, but found that the pills took other kinds of pain away while giving me confidence that I never had...But lately I have reverted to someone I do not even know...Cold Turkey IS NOT GODD...TAPER TAPER TAPER...and knowledge is power once you get off you need to know what to expect...

bev49 is offline Banned

Some people do seem to be able to go gold turkey. I've seen it done on rare occasions but its extremely difficult and the relapse rate (while I don't know the exact statistic) must be astronomical. I know for me it never worked for more than a few days at a time until I was desperate for my drug of choice. Tapering your d.o.c. is a much better idea. The third alternative is subutex/suboxone. It allows you to bypass withdrawal syptoms pretty much and then taper off of them. Robert who posted above this post is the expert on that.

med_pharm_wiz is offline New Member

I will be getting back to you soon and can give you the appropriate advice but need some background info first. What strength V's and how many would you take again? Same question for the vic's. I refer to them simply as 5, 7.5 and 10 mg because thats how much oxycodone is in them anyway. I gotta got for now but WILL check for your post later because I know exactly what you are going through. But reak quick, make sure you understand that benzodiazepines (Xanax, Ativan, Valium, Librium, Tranxene) are not what they call cross-tolerant with opiate narcotics like vicodin. For example, you CAN be on Valium 20 mg a day fir 10 years and pretty well switch over to 0.5 mg of Xanax 3-4 times a day and not have to worry about withdrawal symptoms. Percodans, Oxycontin or >>>>>> will cover for vicodin withdrawal because they are pretty much cross-tolerant of each other. Anyway, PLEASE provide me more of your history and I'll post later.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

You're posting to someone who hasn't been on the forum in a long time. You aren't going to get a reply from them. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.