Chantix skin rashes
    Carrie Bale is offline New Member

Default Chantix skin rashes

I started Chantix 2 weeks ago, and have developed a very intense itching rash on one arm, and across my upper back. It's an itch like poison ivy, but I realized that it could not be poison ivy at freezing temps here in KY. I read on the side effects that this is a serious condition called Stephens Johnson syndrome. Does anyone know how this condition might start? Mild at first? then more severe? I'm really concerned.

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Carrie Bale View Post

I started Chantix 2 weeks ago, and have developed a very intense itching rash on one arm, and across my upper back. It's an itch like poison ivy, but I realized that it could not be poison ivy at freezing temps here in KY. I read on the side effects that this is a serious condition called Stephens Johnson syndrome. Does anyone know how this condition might start? Mild at first? then more severe? I'm really concerned.
    Hi Carrie
    I took Chantex a few times, but I never got a rash from it...but it worked well for me, but I would call your Doctor in the morning to make sure it will be ok..
    good luck and let us know how it turnes out..
    Melinda

thedocsquawk.com is offline New Member

Stevens-Johnson's syndrome is a severe reaction which is often life threatening. From what you've indicated, it doesn't seem to be SJS, which usually manifests as a blistering rash, with fever and several other unpleasant signs. A rash on its own may be an allergic reaction to your medicationn, although the distribution of the rash you mentioned doesn't sound typical.

Your doctor may be able to help you figure out what's causing it. Certainly, quitting smoking is an admirable thing to do, and your doctor might be able to recommend something else to you as well.