BIOCLUSIVE and Generic Fentanyl Patches!!!!!!
    dstaley is offline Member

Default BIOCLUSIVE and Generic Fentanyl Patches!!!!!!

Hello everyone, extremely important information about the Bioclusive dressings .....

This is very important information for everyone that is having problems with the Fentanyl patches; Jensen, Mylan, etc. sticking and are using the Bioclusive dressings supplied by Johnson & Johnson (Jensen) to secure them. Today I tried to re-order my supply from Jensen and was asked to supply code numbers off of the Jensen Fentanyl patch box to assure them that it was to be used with their product. I was told that I could also find the needed code numbers from a patch package. Of course, having been given Mylan patches like everyone else who has insurance picking up the tab I couldn't supply the proper code numbers and was refused a re-order of the dressing.

I contacted Mylan to see if they offered the dressings and was told by *the only one doing Fentanyl research AND support at Mylan Laboratories Inc.* that they were not supplying dressings at this time because they were still gathering data on how large of a problem it is and how well their product works. They said "Even Jensen went several months assessing the problem before providing the dressing to correct it". I told her that with my oily skin and with the aquatic's I'm supposed to do the patches would not hold and I need extra sticking power. She told me .... and I quote this ..... "Well, the only thing I can tell you in the mean time is to buy some medical tape and go along the edges of the pad to stick the edges really well. That should take care of the problem."

As you can see, we are in trouble. The insurance companies will *not* pay for the Jensen patches now since the Generic patches have hit the market, the Generic patch companies are not supplying Bioclusive dressings for several months while they evaluate the sticking potential of their new product, and Jensen will *not* supply Bioclusive dressings for use with the Generic patches.

Any suggestions??

Blessings, warmth and may your pain take a vacation .....
    Dennis Staley

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~
    When you walk across the fields with your mind pure and holy, then from all the stones, and all growing things, and all animals, the sparks of their soul come out and cling to you, and then they are purified and become holy fire in you.
    -- Ancient Hasidic Saying --

RoC1909 is offline Member

Great info Dennis! A definite must for users of the patches.

I just became a user of it (Mylan 25's) about a week ago and have the same problem...patches not sticking. They might stick for a day and a half but come that second day, they start peeling up and it's quite difficult to get them to stick again. I also noticed that I went through some "not too pleasant WD's" and am still not feeling all that great. I went to my Dr this morning to tell him that there was a problem with the dosing/sticking and they pretty much told me that I would have to "sweat it out" till my "actual" appointment which is on August 5. I guess they think I just want MORE drugs. While I did abuse the Norco's I had (with a previous Dr) up till late last year, I now take all of my meds as prescribed.

I also wanted to thank all who participated in the "other thread" with giving their suggestions on how to make them stick better. I haven't tried the hair dryer routine yet (I'm a single guy living alone so what would I need with a hair dryer ) but will try it soon.

Hopefully, with my next appointment the Dr will understand my concerns with this type of medication and determine what the best course of action will be as well as hopefully having the Pharmaceutical companies getting their heads out of their "you know what" soon and address the issues that people are having with them sticking for the advertized duration.

Thanks again Dennis. You (and others) have been a huge help to all of us "patch" users.

Regards,

J

quote:Originally posted by RoC1909

Great info Dennis! A definite must for users of the patches.

<gentle snip>

I also wanted to thank all who participated in the "other thread" with giving their suggestions on how to make them stick better. I haven't tried the hair dryer routine yet (I'm a single guy living alone so what would I need with a hair dryer ) but will try it soon.

Hopefully, with my next appointment the Dr will understand my concerns with this type of medication and determine what the best course of action will be as well as hopefully having the Pharmaceutical companies getting their heads out of their "you know what" soon and address the issues that people are having with them sticking for the advertized duration.

Thanks again Dennis. You (and others) have been a huge help to all of us "patch" users.

Regards,

J
    If you have a problem or anything else, write me off list. I may have some other suggestions for you also, 'k? Can't put all information on a public forum you know?

We'll get it straightened out I'm sure.
    dstaley

-----------------------------
    There are obviously two educations. One should teach us how to make a living and the other how to live.
    -- James Truslow Adams

horselover72 is offline New Member

Hi, I am new here. I have doing some research for my friend who is on the durgesic patches and was thinking that maybe it was her body rejecting the patches or something now (she has been on them for 3+ years).

There was mention of "different" ways to make them stick but I have searched for that forum...no luck.

They are starting to drive her nuts but she needs to wear them. She has severe fibro.

Thanks for any help that anyone has!!

quote:Originally posted by horselover72

Hi, I am new here. I have doing some research for my friend who is on the durgesic patches and was thinking that maybe it was her body rejecting the patches or something now (she has been on them for 3+ years).

There was mention of "different" ways to make them stick but I have searched for that forum...no luck.

They are starting to drive her nuts but she needs to wear them. She has severe fibro.

Jenssen (Johnson & Johnson) was giving out Bioclusive dressings for their product to people that had a problem having them stay on because that was and is a real problem both in theirs and the generic. Since we've gone Generic, Sandoz and Mylan won't supply this product to people not using their patches as they are still in the process of denying that the problem exists as Jenssen did in the beginning.

The Bioclusive is very expensive, costing close to $91.00 for 50 dressings. What we've come up with is the following, which is *not* in accordance with the Duragesic information, but thanks to TimRobo; a member of our forums, we've come up with a different way to stick them so they pretty much stay and can also sometimes be re-stuck after falling off:

1. Clean the area well with rubbing alcohol removing all previous adhesive, sweat, dead skin, etc and allowing it to dry completely.

2. Apply the patch according to the directions applying pressure for at least 30 seconds to 1 minute.

3. Take a hair dryer and heat the patch and surrounding area allowing the patch to "loosen up" or become more plyable, keeping in mind not to heat it too much as it will then release more medication than needed making you dizzy and such.

4. Apply more gentle pressure as the patch cools and the adhesive settles.

This seems to work for most people that have tried it, and should help with your friend.

Also, if your friend needs further support with her patch and general living while on the medication we have started a Duragesic Patch Users mailing list with only users of the medication so we can compare notes and help each other with this sort of problem, and we have *other* suggestions on solving this problem. If she would like to join us, she can write "Ronnie", the list owner, and ask to be added and introduce herself (as only Duragesic users may join) at:

Duragesic Patch Support Group that's DuragesicPatchers-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Or visit the groups home page at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DuragesicPatchers

Blessings to you for wanting to help your friend as only a special friend would go through so much trouble to help someone, and Blessings to her for the pain that she's having to live with. She's got friends! Have her join us ......
    dstaley

There are obviously two educations. One should teach us how to make a living and the other how to live.
    -- James Truslow Adams

Horselover1972 is offline New Member

Thank you so much for your time in posting that again. I found it very informing and I forwarded it my friend. I sure hope it helps her!!

Thanks again, and have a great Day!!!

I had a time trying to get the right name to come up, so horselover1972 is the "right" one! Sorry if it cause anyone confusion!!

Have a great day!!

quote:Originally posted by Horselover1972

I had a time trying to get the right name to come up, so horselover1972 is the "right" one! Sorry if it cause anyone confusion!!

Have a great day!!
    Hey, I think that's a great name to use. If my girlfriend posted, her's would be horselover1969!

Anytime we can help just reach out, 'k? And don't forget to tell your friend about the support email list. We can help her more than we do here on the forums.

Blessings .....
    dstaley

-- James Truslow Adams

shellbelle8 is offline New Member

Hi,

I am new to this forum, and have a few questions and concerns that I hope someone can address. So that you'll know my background, I have been dx'ed with fibromyalgia and interstitial cystitis for about 8 years now and recently (about 2 years ago) found a local doctor who has been helping me control my pain. Actually she is a nurse practitioner in the Urology field and she has been my godsend. I started on low-dose percocets and lortabs over the last few years and have graduated (not necessarily a good thing) to Roxicodone 30mg 6x daily. I had surgery last year to implant a device in my back to help control my bladder functions and hopefully help with pain. It helped my bladder functions but not my pain. So last week I told her that my pain was progressing and I didn't want to increase my pain meds. She prescribed Fentanyl patches, 75mcg every 3 days. After 5 days, I called her to tell her that the patches were only staying on for a day and a half, and she told me to rub with alcohol first and to replace every 48 hours. The alcohol hasn't really helped much but at least i don't have to try to keep the thing on for 3 days. My problem is that ever since starting these I have been on the edge of withdrawal, so i'm thinking that they either aren't very effective or the medicine is not going through properly. I didn't know there were different brands until now, but what i was given by the pharmacy is Mylan brand which I have been reading on this site might not be as strong as the J&J's. Should I try to get my Dr to change me? Another thing, I was thinking about getting the bioclusive patches, but the Mylan website and the Mylan representative that i spoke with says not to completely cover the patch, because the medication is matrixed or something and I could give myself an overdose, so can i not use the bioclusive with Mylan patches? What I HAVE been doing is taping around the perimeter with 3m Blenderm tape, which is a clear plastic tape. I'm not even sure that is acceptable. And one more thing, I read on another thread that you can possibly call J&J and get their brand patches free, or at no extra charge other than your insurance copay? Does anyone have any info on that? I'm not even sure that this thread is still active, so if someone gets this can they forward me to a current forum? Thanks for all your help!

Michelle

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

You need too ask your doctor for a raise in dose ,100mcg.Untill then you can take 1 roxicodone/4hrs along with your patch and that should take care of your withdrawls.You may have to play around with it but you get the point....Good luck..Dave

quote:Originally posted by mpvt

You need too ask your doctor for a raise in dose ,100mcg.Untill then you can take 1 roxicodone/4hrs along with your patch and that should take care of your withdrawls.You may have to play around with it but you get the point....Good luck..Dave
    Very good suggestion Dave, is the Roxicodone good also for an additional "kicker" type pain reliever (I don't know the proper term) for like during the winter when the patches don't quite make it in bad weather??

My doctor is so much involved in trying to get me to get the "pain pump" installed that he won't increase my meds. I'd go for it since he's done a wonderful job with me so far except he's 465 miles away, and the closest location that can support problems with that pump is about a 2.5 hour drive from here. Too far for emergencies, and I can't get him to understand that.

The doctors in my area (NW PA) are really conservative with pain meds and surgeries and don't even touch the Duragesic. So you can imagine where they stand on the pain pump. The emergency room X-Rayed my back once for an injury in my yard and saw all the surgeries and implants, gave me a shot of morophene for the pain and then literally *kicked* me out of the hospital instead of touching me. They didn't want the risk of touching another doctors "Tinker Toys" I guess. That's why I have to keep my past doctor for now even though the distance.

Anyway ..... that's a problem I guess I have to deal with but do you have good experiences with the Roxicodone for days when the patches just aren't enough?? I've never heard of it but after checking it out on WebMD it looks like a good med.

Thank you for the info ....
    dstaley

-- James Truslow Adams

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Actuallt I think diludid is a good break through pain med.......Dave

quote:Originally posted by shellbelle8
    I read on another thread that you can possibly call J&J and get their brand patches free, or at no extra charge other than your insurance copay? Does anyone have any info on that? I'm not even sure that this thread is still active, so if someone gets this can they forward me to a current forum? Thanks for all your help!

Michelle
    Hi, I just wanted to thank everyone for all their help and the info we have received here. I am interested in if anyone has any info about this program from J&J...if you do, could you either email me or post the info here. My friend is going thru a divorce and is afraid she may lose her health insurance so any info would help us out greatly! Thanks so much for your time & have a great day!!

Sincerely,
    Darla

jx3link is offline New Member

My wife suffers from DPN and her PM Dr. currently has her on 400 mcg of fentanyl via the patches. I am constantly looking for info for her re: use & issues w/the fentanyl patches. RE: the 'sticking' issue, she has more problem w/the Sandoz version than the Mylan version. I've heard of others that state it the other way around. Everyone is different I suppose. My wife loved the Mylan patches when she first received some (smaller, stayed on better, different delivery system for the medication) but was VERY upset when our mail order pharm switched horses in mid-stream and started sending her the Sandoz version. We have decided to go locally since I have found local pharmacists who will carry the Mylan patches.

Re: attempts to help the 'sticking' problem by using bandage tape, I came across one account where TOO MUCH TAPE was described as a real issue. I think this was in re: to Mylan patches. If the surface of the patch was completely covered, it would lose its permeability -- i.e., ability to 'breathe.' When that happens, it acts like a big 'blister' trapping moisture and eventually forcing the patch up and off the skin. I believe the Bioclusive and Tegaderm coverings are able to maintain this permeability. Regular bandage tape (for the most part) does not.

Anyway, thanks for a great forum.

driveby is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by dstaley

Jenssen (Johnson & Johnson) was giving out Bioclusive dressings for their product to people that had a problem having them stay on because that was and is a real problem both in theirs and the generic. Since we've gone Generic, Sandoz and Mylan won't supply this product to people not using their patches as they are still in the process of denying that the problem exists as Jenssen did in the beginning.

The Bioclusive is very expensive, costing close to $91.00 for 50 dressings. What we've come up with is the following, which is *not* in accordance with the Duragesic information, but thanks to TimRobo; a member of our forums, we've come up with a different way to stick them so they pretty much stay and can also sometimes be re-stuck after falling off:

1. Clean the area well with rubbing alcohol removing all previous adhesive, sweat, dead skin, etc and allowing it to dry completely.

2. Apply the patch according to the directions applying pressure for at least 30 seconds to 1 minute.

3. Take a hair dryer and heat the patch and surrounding area allowing the patch to "loosen up" or become more plyable, keeping in mind not to heat it too much as it will then release more medication than needed making you dizzy and such.

This seems to work for most people that have tried it, and should help with your friend.

Also, if your friend needs further support with her patch and general living while on the medication we have started a Duragesic Patch Users mailing list with only users of the medication so we can compare notes and help each other with this sort of problem, and we have *other* suggestions on solving this problem. If she would like to join us, she can write "Ronnie", the list owner, and ask to be added and introduce herself (as only Duragesic users may join) at:

Duragesic Patch Support Group that's DuragesicPatchers-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Blessings to you for wanting to help your friend as only a special friend would go through so much trouble to help someone, and Blessings to her for the pain that she's having to live with. She's got friends! Have her join us ......
    dstaley

-- James Truslow Adams

driveby is offline New Member

dstaley

-- James Truslow Adams

bsav is offline New Member

I just contacted Mylan today about overlays to hold these patches down and I got the exact reply that "dstaley" and others did... "that they were not supplying dressings at this time because they were still gathering data on how large of a problem it is and how well their product works"..
    It was as if this person was reading from a script!!
    He said that the FDA was doing testing and had no idea how long it would take.
    Meanwhile, our patches are falling off in the middle of the night and we end up wasting them.
    I've been down the road, trying medical tape to hold them down and I always end up with the tape still stuck to me while the patches had fallen off.
    I have to wear two of the 75mcg size patches and when this happens I end up in SEVERE pain!!
    The way this person was talking to me I got the impression that they're making excuses instead of testing.
    I did an online price check on Bioclusive 4"X5" overlays and they can be as much as $100.00 per box of 50.
    Being on disability, that's much more than I can handle.
    I'm going to send a note to Consumer Affairs at http://www.consumeraffairs.com/ and maybe if enough of us do the same thing we may get some help with this problem.
    I hate to play the squeaky wheel but with people like these it may be the only thing that works.
    Gripe at them folks,…It’s bad enough we have to put up with all this pain but this only makes it worse.

Brent Savage

brians2000 is offline New Member

What happened to buy your own bioclusive patch. Why do people think everything should be free. Someone is paying for the Bioclusive patch so why not the person who uses it.

Hello everyone, extremely important information about the Bioclusive dressings .....

This is very important information for everyone that is having problems with the Fentanyl patches; Jensen, Mylan, etc. sticking and are using the Bioclusive dressings supplied by Johnson & Johnson (Jensen) to secure them. Today I tried to re-order my supply from Jensen and was asked to supply code numbers off of the Jensen Fentanyl patch box to assure them that it was to be used with their product. I was told that I could also find the needed code numbers from a patch package. Of course, having been given Mylan patches like everyone else who has insurance picking up the tab I couldn't supply the proper code numbers and was refused a re-order of the dressing.

I contacted Mylan to see if they offered the dressings and was told by *the only one doing Fentanyl research AND support at Mylan Laboratories Inc.* that they were not supplying dressings at this time because they were still gathering data on how large of a problem it is and how well their product works. They said "Even Jensen went several months assessing the problem before providing the dressing to correct it". I told her that with my oily skin and with the aquatic's I'm supposed to do the patches would not hold and I need extra sticking power. She told me .... and I quote this ..... "Well, the only thing I can tell you in the mean time is to buy some medical tape and go along the edges of the pad to stick the edges really well. That should take care of the problem."

As you can see, we are in trouble. The insurance companies will *not* pay for the Jensen patches now since the Generic patches have hit the market, the Generic patch companies are not supplying Bioclusive dressings for several months while they evaluate the sticking potential of their new product, and Jensen will *not* supply Bioclusive dressings for use with the Generic patches.

Any suggestions??

Blessings, warmth and may your pain take a vacation .....
    Dennis Staley

When you walk across the fields with your mind pure and holy, then from all the stones, and all growing things, and all animals, the sparks of their soul come out and cling to you, and then they are purified and become holy fire in you.
    -- Ancient Hasidic Saying --
    Removed Large Intestines at birth 1971
    spine fusion 1977
    360 spine fusion T5 to pelvis with Harrington Rods
    360 revision surgery with new Harrington Rods and Pedicle Screws

hamtechva is offline New Member

Default information

Just read this thread and want to thow in a little info. first the first statement of this thread the gentleman made a comment to the use of a hair dryer. be very carefull in using any heating source on the patch, it will cause the amount of fent that is being defused to greatly increase to dangerous levels... the other, about the dressing i understand there were some conversation, behind closed doors of course, that the dressing may contribute to problems they are having with the patches, the don't want to prematurly release something that could cause them more headaches than what is already developing from the patches.. third comment just wanted to say hi to all and please respect these patches and the education they can give you. no one is invinsable
    Last edited by hamtechva; 03-12-2009 at 07:48 PM.

tweetyheart is offline New Member

Lightbulb one option

The thing I've resorted to doing is buying mine on ebay. Try that. I can't find any other medication including an intrathecal pump to work for me. OTHER than the fentanyl. So I have to make it work. I'm allergic to the medicine so I have to put down a cream which makes it not stick that much more and I get realllllly hot from the allergic reaction, so I get sweaty. All of that works against me, so I am going to see how the bioclusive works for me. I ordered some on ebay just a bit ago and I should have them tomorrow. It doesn't cost a whole lot either. Give it a try. I'm on social security and medicaid and still could fork down the dough. So good luck.

R

L80XTC is offline New Member

Thumbs up Securing transdermal patches safely in lieu of Bioclusive

As a retired nurse and patient who has been on Duragesic / Fentanyl (150 mcg.) since 1990, I also encountered problems securing two 75 mcg. transdermal patches for the full 72 hours. Currently, on Duragesic, I use Bioclusive overlay dressings. But like everyone else, when prescribed a generic or alternative brand, I could not afford the cost of Bioclusive overlays dressings (the use of two transdermal patches required the use of two Bioclusive overlay dressings as well). So I sought alternative - SAFE alternatives. Please remember that heat accelerates the release of fentanyl from the transdermal patches, and that even used properly, the drug is already 50-100 times more potent than morphine. So use of a hairdryer, application of a heating pad as a means to increase the adhesive bond is very, VERY dangerous.

The safe and more economical alternative to the Bioclusive overlay dressings are skin adhesives. Hypoallergenic; I found a couple examples, under $ 20. These can be purchased online - not only sites selling medical supplies, they may be purchased at Amazon and diabetes-related websites, as well.

(1) Torbot Skin Tac-H Liquid Adhesive (latex free - about $ 8 (4 oz.); may also be found on websites catering to individuals with diabetes.
    (2) Osto-bond - between $ 10 - $ 20 (contains latex).

Apply the adhesive to the area of the skin which comes in contact with the border of the transdermal patch only! If you erroneously apply the adhesive to the entire area, chances are you will successfully create a water-resistent and drug-repelling barrier.

These adhesives were originally utilized to secure surgical dressings, and to safely bond the skin to appliances , tape, other medical devices.

I hope you will consider trying one of these safer alternatives; the direct application of heat to fentanyl transdermal patches can be deadly and is specificially addressed in the patient information. I apologize for not supplying more direct and detailed information, but I was very concerned with the number of people utilizing heat to facilitate cohesion, and wanted to afford a plausible alternative, as soon as possible. Trust that I understand the problems associated with transdermal adhesives : bedridden for 8 years, Fentanyl made it possible for me to be amongst the active and living. Subsequently, the problems arising from poor adhesion were amplified exponentially when I relocated to Las Vegas. These solutions worked for me in temperatures exceeding 120 degrees, with the inevitable perspiration, keratolyzing lotions, and sunscreens. I hope I can help you have a safer 2010!

tritonalum is offline New Member

Wink Solution for fentanyl Patches Not Sticking

I have been wearing fentanyl patches now for over 9 years and the past 6 months I have had issues with them sticking. Well after a few trips to medical supply stores and pharmacys I have finnaly found a solution that works for me and it doesnt cost alot. Walmart, CVS Pharmacy, and Walgreens carry these covers that are called Tegaderm Film made by 3M .They are inexpensive and I'm finnally getting my medicine like I am suppose to. Good Luck