Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
bad headache and suboxone has anyone had?
    jwomiller is offline New Member

Default bad headache and suboxone has anyone had?

Hi can one please tell me if they are suffered from horrible headache once off Suboxone. i really need some answers thank you. on was on Suboxone only for three months. Again please if anyone has let me know. Thank you so much

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

This is quite common with suboxone.Some people are sensitive to the naloaxone in the suboxone.Subuex is what you need to take as it's strait buprenorphene...Good luck......Dave

jwomiller is offline New Member

thanks for the emai i have alot of threads on Suboxone. I know only to well of this drug. I have not been on it for months so why the headaches and they are bad. I do not i was in a horrible car accident with a fracture skull and the had out on Suboxone said let dr know of head inury i did and he did say it is o.k. The head injury was long time ago 1994 can you still give me input thanks so much.

rxqueen is offline Junior Member

Lightbulb Not uncommon

I just ditched sub 5 days ago and I've had horrible head-aches. It's part of your body's fury not having something it wants, commonly known as withdrawals. I feel your pain Try Motrin or Advil. I made my boyfriend give me a head-massage!

mel1337 is offline New Member

Question

hey jwomiller!
    i have been on subs for several different periods of time to try to stop my drug use. and everytime i have ever taken them, after about the second or third day i will start getting BAD headaches, almost like a "brain freeze". i can definately relate to how you're feeling, but i'm sorry i don't have an answer of why it happens

no_more_tram is offline Member

Yes suffered a major headache on and coming off the Suboxone!!

musicman48 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwomiller View Post
    Hi can one please tell me if they are suffered from horrible headache once off Suboxone. i really need some answers thank you. on was on Suboxone only for three months. Again please if anyone has let me know. Thank you so much
    Headaches are common with suboxone therapy.Asprin helped me out.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Lots of people get headaches from the naloxone that is part of suboxone. It's more common with suboxone than subutex. If possible try to use the subutex.

sisterwin2 is offline Senior Member

I am 32 days post sub and I still get daily headaches. I had my vision checked out at Hopkins Wilmer eye clinic and found that I have a nasty Nystagmus in one eye. I wear a patch over the good eye most of the day to help strengthen the weak eye. I also found that my near and far vision has worsen from the eye exam I had 2.5 months ago. I now have a temp. pair of glasses to cover that. Wilmer eye clinic suggest I have my vision checked every two weeks for changes in my vision hoping for improvement till I hit the 3 month post suboxone mark. By this time any changes/improvement/worsening should be final from the suboxone. I do take motrin for the headaches and that works well, unless I am extremely tired.

Be patient...... get your vision checked out as this seems to be common among suboxone users. I would suggest to wait until the 3 month mark before you invest in glasses. I am lucky that Wilmer gives me the glasses though they are the ugly Military frames....... I sorta like them though.

Good luck,
    Sister

donewdone is offline Junior Member

Default I need help. Im starting sub but not sure what to do.

Can someone help. A doc told me to get into mild to moderate w/ds and take 14mg.Then down to 7 the next day. Does that sound right. Any help is very appreciated.

sisterwin2 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by donewdone View Post
    Can someone help. A doc told me to get into mild to moderate w/ds and take 14mg.Then down to 7 the next day. Does that sound right. Any help is very appreciated.
    Just have to love these sub doc's.

Be sure your in mod wd before you dose... if you dose too soon you will be thrown into the worse wd... Look at the COWS protocal and that will assist you.

What drug are you detoxing from? Makes a difference on how long before you began the wean.

I would start off with 2mg and wait at least a full hour... if you began to feel worse then wait 12 hours before you take anymore. If you began to feel better then take 4mg more and wait one hour. IF you feel "normal" stop there. If your still in wd then go 2mg more. Dont look for a "high" ..even though Sub is a strong opiate, your not looking for a sedative high. Your looking to feel just normal. There is no reason to go further then 10 to 12 mg and I have met some that get by with 8mg for the first three days before they began weaning. Less is more. The less you induct at the easier it will be for you to wean off without problems.

The half life of suboxone is pretty long.... this also depends on what drug your detoxing from on how quickly you want to reduce your dose. Can you post more information?

Sister
    Last edited by sisterwin2; 11-30-2008 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by donewdone View Post

Sister gave you pretty good instructions for being inducted. I've seen some people recently stabilize at induction with only 6mg. There is no set amount. Just depends on you as an individual. That's why we always say here that this is an individual thing and drs are wrong to pass out any one-size-fits-all instructions. Thats why we continue to give individual suggestions rather than automatically saying the same exact thing for everyone. I posted to your other post about subs too. We need to know more about you. Look at the other post too. God bless.

Crazeegrl1020 is offline New Member

Default Damn Headaches and Nausea

I am taking suboxone right now.... i ususally only take 4 mg a day but sometimes i take 8 mg. i should be taking 8 mg but i am trying to stay as low as i can for when the time comes i want 2 get off completely and have kids and all that. I was just wondering if this has ever happened to you or if you have ever heard of this..ever since i been taking this medicine i occasionally- >> say like at least once a week i get a terrible terrible headache to the point i cant even do anything except lay in bed wanting to cry along with horrible nausea and anything i eat i throw it up. its the worst feeling in the world. the head ache sort of feels like an extreme sinus headache. I told my doctor this and he said its just migraine headaches. but i haven't had migraines since i was a little girl and even then the migraines i remember having did not feel how this feeling feels. Ive heard from some people that suboxone creates headaches in some people and their doctors switch them to subutex. i dont know what the hell this is that is happening to me maybe my body just doesn't agree with something in the medicine. this medication is so new there isn't nearly as much research on it as i wish there was. >> def rather be taking this med everyday than what i was doing i just hate having to miss things like school, events, etc. because of this sickness I get out of nowhere. if anyone has any info please e-mail me. THANK YOU
    -RoseAnn

Quote Originally Posted by Crazeegrl1020 View Post
    I am taking suboxone right now.... i ususally only take 4 mg a day but sometimes i take 8 mg. i should be taking 8 mg but i am trying to stay as low as i can for when the time comes i want 2 get off completely and have kids and all that. I was just wondering if this has ever happened to you or if you have ever heard of this..ever since i been taking this medicine i occasionally- >> say like at least once a week i get a terrible terrible headache to the point i cant even do anything except lay in bed wanting to cry along with horrible nausea and anything i eat i throw it up. its the worst feeling in the world. the head ache sort of feels like an extreme sinus headache. I told my doctor this and he said its just migraine headaches. but i haven't had migraines since i was a little girl and even then the migraines i remember having did not feel how this feeling feels. Ive heard from some people that suboxone creates headaches in some people and their doctors switch them to subutex. i dont know what the hell this is that is happening to me maybe my body just doesn't agree with something in the medicine. this medication is so new there isn't nearly as much research on it as i wish there was. >> def rather be taking this med everyday than what i was doing i just hate having to miss things like school, events, etc. because of this sickness I get out of nowhere. if anyone has any info please e-mail me. THANK YOU
    -RoseAnn

RoseAnn .... this medicine has been around plenty long for drs to know that some people have a reaction to the naloxone that is in the suboxone, but not the subutex. Lots of sub drs have NOT been trained on this medication properly except for a little 8 hour class that I could pass with flying colors. I've been preaching this for a long time here. I also have to ask why are you jumping back and forth between 4mg and 8mg? That is LOTS of difference and not the way you take this medication. The higher dose of suboxone could also be contributing as it also has twice as much naloxone as the 4mg just as common sense would tell you. But you should be on a stable dose rather than jumping around on different amounts.

Lots of drs automatically RX suboxone rather than subutex because the suboxone has the naloxone. All it does is make you get sick if you inject it or snort it. That's the bottom line. Other than that the naloxone is worthless and it DOES have side effects. I could give you a list of them.

You sound like you need to insist that your dr RX you the subutex over the suboxone. Subutex is pure buprenorphine and no naloxone. If you shoot drugs that is one thing, but if you don't shoot drugs why should you be taking a medication that is to prevent IV drug abuse but also makes you sick? That makes no sense. I would talk to the dr immediately. And by the way ... if the dr tells you I'm crazy and the naloxone has no side effects then the dr is incorrect. I know what I'm telling you is correct. I talk to people all day long here every day about this. Naloxone has side effects ... PERIOD. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 03-28-2009 at 03:44 PM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

jpiv83 is offline New Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    RoseAnn .... this medicine has been around plenty long for drs to know that some people have a reaction to the naloxone that is in the suboxone, but not the subutex. Lots of sub drs have NOT been trained on this medication properly except for a little 8 hour class that I could pass with flying colors. I've been preaching this for a long time here. I also have to ask why are you jumping back and forth between 4mg and 8mg? That is LOTS of difference and not the way you take this medication. The higher dose of suboxone could also be contributing as it also has twice as much naloxone as the 4mg just as common sense would tell you. But you should be on a stable dose rather than jumping around on different amounts.

Lots of drs automatically RX suboxone rather than subutex because the suboxone has the naloxone. All it does is make you get sick if you inject it or snort it. That's the bottom line. Other than that the naloxone is worthless and it DOES have side effects. I could give you a list of them.

You sound like you need to insist that your dr RX you the subutex over the suboxone. Subutex is pure buprenorphine and no naloxone. If you shoot drugs that is one thing, but if you don't shoot drugs why should you be taking a medication that is to prevent IV drug abuse but also makes you sick? That makes no sense. I would talk to the dr immediately. And by the way ... if the dr tells you I'm crazy and the naloxone has no side effects then the dr is incorrect. I know what I'm telling you is correct. I talk to people all day long here every day about this. Naloxone has side effects ... PERIOD. God bless.
    IM sorry i had to comment you obviously dont know what youre talking about because i was on >>>>>> before i started suboxone i was on >>>>>>e for 2 years and suboxone for about 2 years also. Ive had serious migranes on both >>>>>>e and suboxone it cant be the naloxone because >>>>>>e dosent have naloxone in it. its somthing to do with the opiate i would guess, when i get the headaches im under stress and meditation or even keeping youre mind focused on somthing helps it's accually helped me get out of the migranes before ive had the headaches to wear my head is between my leags and im crying holding my head i dunno if its just me but it seems to be connected with anxiety and panic disorder because when i finally loose the headache i realize that it was just stress. Try to keep youre mind focused on anything but the headache, rubbing youre head helps but it usually takes me an houre or so to work out the headache the fastest way iv ever gotten rid of it was to read short meditation tecquniques thats not how you spell it lol. I dont get the migraines anymore because ive linked them with stress, when i feel the headache comming on i calm down and breathe slowly and think of somthing that makes me happy. Ohh and the advil, tylenol and other headache medicines do work but i think its just because i knew i just took ex: advill or tylenol that it helps its all in my head its a whole different story. I am not a professional or doctor this is my personal advice because ive ben through it before. The next time you have a migraine if you cannot link it to stress than everything i just said wasent for you because i dont see how i couldent link it to stress it goes hand and hand for me. I Hope this helps its what ive personally learned over the years i do alot of research on my problems.

jpiv83 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by jpiv83 View Post
    IM sorry i had to comment you obviously dont know what youre talking about because i was on >>>>>> before i started suboxone i was on >>>>>>e for 2 years and suboxone for about 2 years also. Ive had serious migranes on both >>>>>>e and suboxone it cant be the naloxone because >>>>>>e dosent have naloxone in it. its somthing to do with the opiate i would guess, when i get the headaches im under stress and meditation or even keeping youre mind focused on somthing helps it's accually helped me get out of the migranes before ive had the headaches to wear my head is between my leags and im crying holding my head i dunno if its just me but it seems to be connected with anxiety and panic disorder because when i finally loose the headache i realize that it was just stress. Try to keep youre mind focused on anything but the headache, rubbing youre head helps but it usually takes me an houre or so to work out the headache the fastest way iv ever gotten rid of it was to read short meditation tecquniques thats not how you spell it lol. I dont get the migraines anymore because ive linked them with stress, when i feel the headache comming on i calm down and breathe slowly and think of somthing that makes me happy. Ohh and the advil, tylenol and other headache medicines do work but i think its just because i knew i just took ex: advill or tylenol that it helps its all in my head its a whole different story. I am not a professional or doctor this is my personal advice because ive ben through it before. The next time you have a migraine if you cannot link it to stress than everything i just said wasent for you because i dont see how i couldent link it to stress it goes hand and hand for me. I Hope this helps its what ive personally learned over the years i do alot of research on my problems.These arent facts for everyone their just my facts so do the research yourself and most of all be aware of youre feelings when problems errupt.
    Also ive ben to 2 different doctors for suboxone and the first one i went to was a psychitrist and the second the one im going to now is only certified for suboxone the one im going to now should be fired because she dosent know anything about the real life side effects that come with the drug i dont understand how these doctors can prescribe a drug without taking it for a sertan length of time even studying for 5 years about suboxone i dont think would teach you the things you learn from taking it i know everyones different and different side effects i just dont understand maby i wont ever.

Quote Originally Posted by jpiv83 View Post
    IM sorry i had to comment you obviously dont know what youre talking about because i was on >>>>>> before i started suboxone i was on >>>>>>e for 2 years and suboxone for about 2 years also. Ive had serious migranes on both >>>>>>e and suboxone it cant be the naloxone because >>>>>>e dosent have naloxone in it. its somthing to do with the opiate i would guess, when i get the headaches im under stress and meditation or even keeping youre mind focused on somthing helps it's accually helped me get out of the migranes before ive had the headaches to wear my head is between my leags and im crying holding my head i dunno if its just me but it seems to be connected with anxiety and panic disorder because when i finally loose the headache i realize that it was just stress. Try to keep youre mind focused on anything but the headache, rubbing youre head helps but it usually takes me an houre or so to work out the headache the fastest way iv ever gotten rid of it was to read short meditation tecquniques thats not how you spell it lol. I dont get the migraines anymore because ive linked them with stress, when i feel the headache comming on i calm down and breathe slowly and think of somthing that makes me happy. Ohh and the advil, tylenol and other headache medicines do work but i think its just because i knew i just took ex: advill or tylenol that it helps its all in my head its a whole different story. I am not a professional or doctor this is my personal advice because ive ben through it before. The next time you have a migraine if you cannot link it to stress than everything i just said wasent for you because i dont see how i couldent link it to stress it goes hand and hand for me. I Hope this helps its what ive personally learned over the years i do alot of research on my problems.

Thanks for lettting me know I don't know what I'm talking about. Perhaps you should start telling everyone here how to handle suboxone therapy. You obviously know it all.

The fact you had a headache with >>>>>> and suboxone and that >>>>>> has no naloxone in it, therefore I am wrong is about the goofiest explanation I've ever heard.

You're not even talking about the same thing as I am. You're talking about headaches totally unrelated to subs. Has nothing to do with what was being discussed. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 01-10-2010 at 10:00 AM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

sarah day is offline New Member

Hey jpiv83!

I was wondering if you would be able to help me out. I've tried asking other people for their opinions but no one ever responded back to me. I just found out that I am 13 weeks almost 14 weeks pregnant. Prior to finding out I was taking strong pain medication everyday. I have already stopped but even though I stopped will my baby still go through withdrawal at birth?? And also, I will need to take suboxen for not even a week to make sure I dont withdrawal. So will that still be okay?? Like my baby wont be hurting for the rest of the pregnancy or afterwards right?? If you could please help me I would greatly appreciate it! Anyones opinion will help me out!!! Thank you very very much!!!

Sarah DAy

EricaMarie is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by sarah day View Post
    Hey jpiv83!

I was wondering if you would be able to help me out. I've tried asking other people for their opinions but no one ever responded back to me. I just found out that I am 13 weeks almost 14 weeks pregnant. Prior to finding out I was taking strong pain medication everyday. I have already stopped but even though I stopped will my baby still go through withdrawal at birth?? And also, I will need to take suboxen for not even a week to make sure I dont withdrawal. So will that still be okay?? Like my baby wont be hurting for the rest of the pregnancy or afterwards right?? If you could please help me I would greatly appreciate it! Anyones opinion will help me out!!! Thank you very very much!!!

Sarah DAy
    Hey Sarah, sorry no one answered you before. Maybe make a new thread stating your situation so it won't be accidentally overlooked. I'm not too sure about the answer to this but hopefully someone will come across this and be able to help you out. Good luck and congrats on your pregnancy!! Is this your first??

nancy52 is offline Junior Member

Hi Sarah, First, I think you should defnitely speak to your doctor. You don't mention what drugs you were taking or the doses. I have heard the pregnant woman who take methadone through pregnancy have babies who are fine. I also believe if you stop this early, the baby will not have withdrawals. BUT, this is a question that is too serious to be answered on a forum in my opinion and should be discussed with your doctor.

doc.rose is offline Advanced Member

Sarah, please discuss with your doctor asap. They deal with stuff like this all of the time. You can deliver a healthy baby as long as you take the steps necessary to do so. So talk to your doc as soon as you can. Good Luck and keep us posted as to how you are doing.

crosifixio is offline New Member

Default Suboxone and headaches

I have been on suboxone (2 mg/daily - yes, a small dose but it thankfully really works for me) for about 4 months now and have noticed several mild headaches each week, actually almost everyday. It is very annoying but I deal with it since it is a side effect and it is much more manageable than turning back to drugs, which I will not allow happen. My concern is that I recently started to work out in the gym and since doing so, the headaches have become more frequent and more severe. I workout 4 to 5 days a week and have been doing so for about two months now. I let the doctor know about the headaches and he recommended taking half a dose prior to working out and the other half sometime after. I have done this and have not noticed any improvement.

Any thoughts? I have noticed several instances where naloxone could be the culprit and a switch to subutex could help. Do you believe it is the case here as well?

Thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by crosifixio View Post
    I have been on suboxone (2 mg/daily - yes, a small dose but it thankfully really works for me) for about 4 months now and have noticed several mild headaches each week, actually almost everyday. It is very annoying but I deal with it since it is a side effect and it is much more manageable than turning back to drugs, which I will not allow happen. My concern is that I recently started to work out in the gym and since doing so, the headaches have become more frequent and more severe. I workout 4 to 5 days a week and have been doing so for about two months now. I let the doctor know about the headaches and he recommended taking half a dose prior to working out and the other half sometime after. I have done this and have not noticed any improvement.

Any thoughts? I have noticed several instances where naloxone could be the culprit and a switch to subutex could help. Do you believe it is the case here as well?

Thank you for your help.

About 15% of all people using suboxone react adversely to the naloxone. If you are not an IV drug user you should be using the subutex instead of subxone if you're having headaches daily. I would switch immediately. I've seen this happen for years. God bless.

Default Thank you

Thanks Robert,

Never an IV drug user. Thank you for the quick reply and for the advice. I will bring this issue up with my doctor and pray for the best.

God bless.

A69
    A69 is offline New Member

just want to let u know something I have taken for headaches that finally worked. It is called fiorinall with codeine and is the ONLY thing that has ever worked for my headaches. Of course if u r taking suboxone and it is causing headaches, do not take it. If u think u will get dope sick, the codeine in the fiorinall will stop u from getting dope sick. I have suffered from headaches for a very long time and have tried every over the counter med and many prescriptions to relieve the headache and nothing worked. I tried oxy's roxy's morphine perks suboxone advil motrin excedrin, etc..., but nothing worked, until now. The fiorinall with codeine has been like a miracle for me, finally, I am free from constant headache pain! Thank GOD!

littletortoise is offline New Member

Lots of things can give you headaches. I haven't personally tried >>>>>>e, but like other powerful chemicals, I'm sure it can give some people headaches.

BUT I have to disagree with what you said though. Naloxone absolutely and positively causes headaches!! The reason I know this is from all the hundreds of meetings I've been to where people on Suboxone talk about getting headaches, but mainly from my own personal experience on Suboxone vs. Subutex. I've been on Suboxone since 2005 except for 7 months when I was on Subutex. Those were the only 7 months I had a break from regular and horrid headaches. Once I resumed Suboxone, headaches came right back. My former doctors told me the Suboxone couldn't cause them and encouraged me to take even more Suboxone to make the headaches better...as much as an extra 16 mg to help a bad headache! Holy moly! I was only making them worse. In bed, in the dark, trying to let the Suboxone dissolve before I barfed again. Horrible. Finally trusted my own instincts and stopped the madness. My new doc is more informed. Naloxone does cause headaches and it's not even uncommon. I promise you!!!

Miss.Self.Destruct is offline New Member

I used to use Herion and never had headaches Its the naloxone!! I was taking suboxone and was suffering from extreme headaches among other fun things like anxiety and deep depression.I talked to my doc who switched me to subutex and my headaches and other problems were no longer an issue. Do yourself a favor and ask your doc about switching to subutex!

Quote Originally Posted by Miss.Self.Destruct View Post
    I used to use Herion and never had headaches Its the naloxone!! I was taking suboxone and was suffering from extreme headaches among other fun things like anxiety and deep depression.I talked to my doc who switched me to subutex and my headaches and other problems were no longer an issue. Do yourself a favor and ask your doc about switching to subutex!

About 15% of all people who take suboxone react adversely to the naloxone. That's based on my years of experience working with people on both medications. If people don't shoot drugs they should use subutex rather than suboxone as the norm. Glad you're feeling better.

The drs that tell people to take more suboxone to get rid of the headaches are ignorant. Once again we see how little they know about what they are doing. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 01-27-2011 at 11:30 AM.

Default Update about switching from Suboxone to Subutex

Hello,

I just wanted to provide an update regarding my switch from Suboxone to Subutex. I switched a few months ago and have absolutely, without a doubt, experienced an amazing change. No more headaches. Not even one. And more importantly, my entire mood has changed for the better. I honestly feel like I used to before the drugs. I really am starting to feel more like myself again. The suboxone was creating such a cloud and fog in my head that I do not have with Subutex. My studies and side projects are benefiting from this.

Most importantly, I tried several times to come off Suboxone and it was extremely tough. Mainly because I would get some of the worst, and strangest headaches when tapering off. My mood would worsen and I would be so down - despite my will to get off of it. Total opposite with Subutex. No headaches and it is much easier to come off.

The switch to subutex (not an IV user) should take place no matter what. It was better for me, my recovery, and my overall well-being. I suggest to those of you on suboxone to ask your doctor for a switch. Over the past few months I have talked to many others in the same situation, some of which were on suboxone for a year before doing the switch. After the switch and being on suboxone for several months - year, they came off it completely and feel so good to be off of it completely. They said they wish they started with subutex in the beginning because they honestly believe their recovery would have been much quicker. They felt as though the thought to come off completely never really crossed their mind with suboxone because of how they felt. They were always in a fog and in a depressed mood when the suboxone would wear off. Taking it again would be the only thing that helped. They would not feel this way when on subutex. I agree. I do not get down and have no energy like on suboxone. I am much more positive.

These statements are from my personal experience and the experiences of others I know from recovery. Everyones is different, but I wanted to share this.

djrrreeel is offline New Member

Thumbs down Yes real bad headaches

[deleted - swearing]
    Last edited by ddcmod; 01-05-2012 at 01:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast